Bloodlines of Old Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We must fight for Luna, because of Luna, and we must trust that her guidance will show us the weakness in our enemies, in her enemies." She stepped away from me as I tried to follow her touch. "I make a formal motion, in the presence of the whole council, that we strike the barbaric notion to end those who oppose our votes." She walked back to Jeffrey and hugged him as he hesitated in the return.

"I wish not to end those who value stating opposition with the intentions of presenting ideas they think fit for their pack members." she pulled back and held his neck, nuzzling his forehead. My wolf was screaming with jealousy, but also with compassion and revere at her leadership and tactics.

"Thank you Jeffrey of the northeastern clan, for willingly putting your life on the line to make a better life for your pack," he started tearing up. It was then I realized what she was suggesting, the full impact of her words and this moment. She was setting a precedent that opposition of choice, would not mean sacrifice of life.

"You are going to make a great Alpha for your people." they nodded together before they broke.

"These are dangerous times, but in the hopes of a brighter future for our communities, are we better for these moments, we should come together in these moments. We need only listen to the call of Luna and follow it to the end." She stopped in an over dramatic gesture that made me want to cringe.

"I relinquish my duty and title as Alpha," the whole audience gasped, as I stumbled away from her now. She was being ridiculous, emotional, and unprofessional. I knew someone within the pack was willing to take this moment to assert themselves, possibly the same person who knew I was with child before I did. She was allowing this person to possibly take charge of the whole pack. I tried to make for the door to the house, but my uncoordinated and clumsy emotional turmoil only led me to smash into the closed door. My cheek and shoulder burned with the impact as I struggled to twist the knob.

"At this revelation, I will resume control of the midwestern pack as Alpha," I heard Charlotte's mother speaking as the door gave way and I crashed onto the floor. I could hear the crowd's upheaval, but one thing was clear, I needed to get away from all of this, from the pack, from the politics, from my loss.... From Charlotte. My wolf screamed in protest, but I wasn't about to let her roam free now. If this was Charlotte's way of apologizing, then we couldn't be more unfit for each other.

I couldn't say I was excited to learn that being her mate had extra obligations and responsibilities, but at least I was willing to learn, to try them, to try and make her happy and proud. But it seemed, she was intent on doing the opposite, she was changing her whole life for a commitment to me that I had shown more than hesitation around.

I scrambled up the steps to retrieve that bag I had already packed with anything I would want from this fling. My wolf didn't like the title, but I ignored her clawing for release. I was more sure than ever, that I was never supposed to be a part of a pack, of a family. My own family didn't want me. Only Nana in her delusions sought my company. I couldn't even keep a child alive. What good was I to anyone if the one meaningful relationship in my life led to the turmoil of leadership within a group of beings that I was otherwise unaware of. No one wanted me. That asshole was right when he told me Charlotte had used and taken advantage of me. She took actions that gave me a child I never knew I could have, and now, never would.

She pressed our loss to the front of her declarations of war, and allowed me to bear witness. No, not bear, witness, take part in, willingly or not, I let my physical infatuation with her dictate my life. And that ending was ripping apart a society of laws. Upheld traditions that she tossed into the wind with our child as a catalyst. I was right before, she was a monster. Even though I knew I loved her, I couldn't love the ripples our sex had on this whole group of people. If I never had an orgasm again, it would be too soon. I needed to put my physical needs to the side and get away from this. From everything. From Charlotte.

I didn't know if I still had a job at the diner, but it was all I had. And the box from Nana, maybe I could sift through it one day, but certainly not today. I pulled my packed bag over my shoulder and took in the room where Charlotte had changed me, in more ways than one. The tears came with permission now as I rubbed at my bruised wrists and descended the stairs.

Charlotte was sitting at the bottom, blocking my way slightly. I tried to sidestep around her, but she pulled me into her lap and nuzzled my neck with heated breaths. My core ignited, but I was convicted. I shoved her off and my bag broke free from my shoulder, the contents spilling on the floor below us. I struggled to put everything back into the bag as she came and clutched my hands. I pushed and pulled at her as I tried to make my escape. I was weak around her, and the fighting resulted in a pained hug that I submitted to, but only for a moment.

I pushed her off once more, the anger fueling me now, "Let me go! I don't want to be your mate," I knew the words hurt her as much as they did me when they passed through my lips. We both froze, somewhat still entangled with one another.

She nuzzled my neck hesitantly and whispered against my ear.

"Surely you don't mean that," I could feel the sadness build between us. I pulled her closer around the waist, not wanting to, but not having the strength to fight her when she was this close. I stroked her back and my wolf sighed with content.

"I told you I was going to make it up to you for the rest of our lives," she clasped my neck tighter and sniffed against my temple. I shuddered.

"Surely you understand I relinquished my title to serenade you, to show you what it means to be a mate," she was quiet, and I knew it was hard for her to admit the choice she made.

"But I don't want," I swallowed the hesitation and put some space between us, "I don't want you to change for me," she seemed confused with my confession, or confused that I wasn't giving into her so easily.

"You can't change me," she pushed my hair back and tucked it behind my ears, "If anything, Luna blessed me with you to show me how wrong I've been." I dropped my forehead to hers.

"We both know it isn't that simple," I sighed as we breathed in each other's breath.

"I'm sorry!" I sobbed as I pushed against her, grabbed my bag and stood at the doorway. "I just, I can't. I'm not who you think I am, and we can't," my wolf almost broke free as I felt my eyes change. "I love you," I whispered before running out the doorway.

The commotion of the council silenced their conversations as I glided down the steps with an ungraceful sobbing. I wanted Ethan to drive me home, but he was nowhere in sight. So I pulled my pack tighter around my shoulders and walked away.

Each step felt like I was breaking every bone in my body as the distance between Charlotte and I grew. After about an hour of angry walking, I heard footsteps behind me. I swirled around, expecting Charlotte to be following me. I was met with a dejected Jeffrey. I paused and faced him.

"What do you want?" I was too angry for formalities and too confused to care why

he was following me.

"I just, I wanted," he shuffled his feet, "I have to say thank you for being the Alpha's mate," he could barely meet my eyes.

"Well I'm not thankful and she will understand that one way or another," I turned away from him and carried on. He was instantly in my path, but a respectful distance away.

"Please, why are you fighting the mating call? It is a blessing to find a mate, I still haven't found mine," he seemed like a child as he continued. "I would give anything to find my mate, we have to trust Luna, she gave your mate's mind to her, and it spared my life." I shook my head and huffed out in frustration.

"I don't believe in Luna," I felt a stirring from Nana at the words coming from my mouth.

"Can I at least, walk you home?" he seemed genuine and I didn't want to spend any more time this close to Charlotte than I had to.

I nodded slowly and started walking away again. The walk was in silence, but it wasn't uncomfortable. It did feel nice having someone near me who I thought would defend me. Although I was regretful at the situation that led me to want a defender. We strode through the pathway as it started getting dark. A couple hours later, once we were at the steps to my apartment, I stopped and faced him finally.

"Thank you for the escort," I grimaced and wondered what his real motives were.

He glanced around nervously, "Can I stay the night with you?" My eyes went wide with his insinuation as he immediately picked it up and held his hands up.

"No, not like that, like, you are important, and you saved my life," he sighed heavily,

"And even if you denounce Luna, that doesn't denounce the threat that may still be on your life, for which mine is indebted." I sighed with exhaustion, I wasn't ready to fight this battle as all I wanted was to forget anything and everything that had to do with wolves and mates. So I relented.

"Fine, but I only have a futon for you to sleep on, and you can't touch me or shower, I have to be at work in the morning," he nodded with a childish grin. I unlocked my apartment and showed him to the futon.

"Would you like a blanket or?" he didn't let me finish.

"These accommodations are exceptional, I will be fine Alpha," I sneered at his assessment of me.

"I'm not an Alpha, ok?" I reasserted. He snickered, but pretended to fall asleep quickly as he plopped down on the futon. I wanted to cry, and so did my wolf. But I was too exhausted to commit either to mourning so overdue.

* * * * *

The smell of cooking food brought my wolf to the surface faster than I awoke. I struggled through a haze of discontent as I stripped and took a cold shower. I let the water pulse over the bruises on my wrists, and the burning marks on my shoulders. I wouldn't allow myself to cry as I stroked them lovingly. After dressing in a long sleeve black Henley, dark jeans, and forgoing makeup, I walked into the kitchen to see a full feast and a whistling Jeffrey washing dishes.

"What are you doing?" I asked more with wonder than accusation. He smiled towards me.

"I was hungry after I shifted to heal, and I thought you might be too," I wasn't used to someone else being in my space, but my stomach didn't care as it guided me to a plate full of eggs, bacon, and fruit that came from who knows where. He grabbed my plate as soon as I was finished and started hand washing it.

"I'm going to work, if I still have a job that is," I added in a mental accosting of myself. He wiped his hands on a towel before smiling once more at me.

"Great, I'll come with you," My jaw dropped.

"No, you can't," I shook my head, "Thank you for your sincerity, but you can't come to work with me, ok?"

"Nonsense, it's a diner right? I'll be a paying customer, no trouble at all," I didn't trust his words, but I was too tired to fight him still as he followed me out the door. It didn't take more than three seconds before Jared was reassuring me I still had a job and I always would. I hugged him suddenly, my emotions all over the place. It took all my self discipline to not burst into tears or think about how much I missed

Charlotte. When I cashed out half way through a slow dinner, Jeffrey was patiently waiting as he had promised. He must have ordered seven courses of food without batting an eye.

He followed me outside and I turned to face him.

"Look there is something I need to do, and I need to do it alone," I didn't want anyone to witness me falling apart with what I had planned.

"I'll keep my distance," his smile was endearing as I laughed.

"Don't you have some future Alpha bullshit to deal with, I mean a war to plan and all that," his eyes darkened before meeting mine.

"The recent events have led to a," he tapped his chin, "an impasse, on my ability to be an Alpha, I must think on this commitment. There is nothing I need to do right now other than obey Luna's call. And she thinks you need not be left alone right now." I knew there was no use arguing, hopefully he really would give me distance.

"Fine, but I mean it when I say keep your distance," I pointed at him as he held up his hands in surrender. We walked slowly along the sidewalk as I made my way to the one person who never let me down, who always knew what to say to me when I was confused or discouraged.

I admired the upkeep of Nana's cemetery grounds as I meandered to where her casket was buried. I wasn't surprised there was another person here, but I was surprised as I realized they were kneeling at Nana's gravestone and holding it tightly.

"Anne?!" I asked without hiding my surprise. She stood quickly and wiped tears away.

"Oh my I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I didn't know-" I didn't need anyone to justify their grief.

"Hey, it's ok, I just didn't expect anyone else to be here," I was calm with my statement. She nodded, and thrust her hands into her jacket pockets as we both stared at the words engraved on the stone representing all of Nana's life. I almost chuckled at the half moon beside her name. I pulled out the picture of her and Gregory and set it lovingly down against the stone.

"I have so many questions Nana," I didn't fight the tears this time as they cascaded down my cheeks. I knelt down and pressed my forehead against the cold grey structure.

"I would give anything to speak to you one more time," I could feel my wolf howl along inside with grief as the cold dampness from the ground seeped into my jeans at the knees and Anne placed a hand on my shoulder in solidarity. I automatically laid my hand on hers, enjoying that someone else was feeling the loss as well, someone else cared about Nana that was alive.

"So all her stories were true then?" Anne sniffled through her question. I nodded without looking at her. Her excitement was unbound.

"So are you, does that mean," she bounced with excitement as I looked at her with a stunned face. "So Charlotte really is your mate?" I looked down and finally admitted the harshness.

"I think so, I don't know, it's much more complicated than that," I hated saying it out loud as my wolf protested as if I were a child throwing a tantrum. I could make out some movement a few aisles away from us as my wolf stood at attention. Goosebumps trickled down my arms and I stood quickly, bracing for more bullshit that my life was going to throw my way.

"I told you Luna thought you needed a bodyguard," Jeffrey was beside me with a whip of wind.

"Oh gosh, are you in trouble?" Anne seemed to tremble now, "are we in trouble, am I in trouble?" Jeffrey glanced at Anne and was on her in a split second. He rushed her in a hug that she instantly melted into. They nuzzled each other's necks as my wolf whimpered with longing for Charlotte. She clasped his neck and giggled as he tucked some fingers into her beltline.

"I never thought I would find you, mate," his eyes changed as Anne's eyes grew wide. I witnessed the moment with a slight flushing, it seemed too intimate a moment to witness as an outsider. I slowly glanced at Nana's stone once more before turning to leave them to it. Before I took two steps, Jeffrey had Anne and I in a tight hug. She giggled a yip of surprise.

"Ladies, I think we are in a bit of a pickle," he was light in his words, but my wolf was screaming to be released. The motions that had distracted us were becoming clear now. A half dozen or so men were walking towards us. They looked intimidating to say the least. Their eyes were flickering between wolf and human, and it was then I realized, I would see Nana much sooner than I wanted to. He discretely thrust his phone in the space between our bodies.

"Call Charlotte, now, speed dial three, we need backup," I wanted to protest, but the look on his face meant business and the fear on Anne's melted my resolve.

"Jeffrey," her single word was laden with sadness, "I'm sorry about-" I couldn't let her finish.

"Charlotte," I expected a pause, but she knew me instantly.

"Cassie, baby, what's wrong, where is Jeffrey?" The words were quick now.

"We're at Nana's grave, I think," I tried to remain calm, but the panic was evident, "I think we're in trouble." I heard her shifting her body as several commands left her lips that I couldn't quite understand with their speed.

"What's going on? Jeffrey, talk to me!" I was a little irritated that she wanted his assessment, but if I knew anything, it was that she would do whatever was in her ability to keep me alive. He twisted with both Anne and I still in his hug and spoke towards the phone that we tried to keep shielded from visibility.

"Six shifters, dark clothes, eyes phased, no one else around," he was straight and to the point.

"Alright, listen we're on the way ok? Cassie, baby?" I tried to stay calm, but her action to come immediately was scaring me.

"Charlotte," I almost whimpered. I never thought I would need to hear a person's voice as much as hers, as much as in that moment. "Do whatever Jeffrey tells you ok? Even if you don't like it, he knows how to handle himself, he will protect you." She sounded too sure for the scene unfolding.

"Alp- Charlotte, there is another problem," his eyes flickered and changed to dark orbs as some fur emerged on his arms.

"What is, oh shit," Anne stroked his arm with astonishment and wonder.

"Who is that?" Charlotte almost screamed.

"Charlotte, I found my mate, she's here with us, you know what I will do," he ground his teeth as he stared into Anne's eyes with a promise. This was the most undone I had seen him, and it wasn't reassuring at the moment.

"Are these the ones who wanted my child to die?" I was already emotionally unraveled and trying to contain the hate spewing in my veins wasn't possible now that I thought I had an outlet for my rage. My wolf scratched at the surface and I struggled to stay in control.

"Cassie!" her word cut through my fog, but only slightly. "You can't win against them, they are experienced fighters and pure blood." Jeffrey nodded his agreement while rubbing his cheek against Anne who was too excited to be fearful.

"I don't-" she didn't let me finish as her whisper was enough to stop me.

"Baby, I can't lose you again, I can't, I need you," I felt peace wrapping around my soul as I felt that I needed her too, even when I didn't want to. "I need you to stay alive, you can hate me, but stay alive to do it." The men were flanking us as they approached, and my heart kicked up, willing my wolf to take on those who thought my child was an abomination.

"Jeffrey, seven minutes," the call ended as his gaze was somewhere else entirely.

The men started closing in. He knew it was bad, I knew it was bad, how could we manage seven minutes without total destruction? He let go of me and held Anne's face in his hands.

"Baby, I'm Jeffrey, obviously," he chuckled, as I realized he would never lose his boyish charm. My heart throbbed with the connection between the two, he was perfect for Anne and her boisterous excitement, and she was perfect for his childlike demeanor. He kissed her harshly as a moan escaped them both. He thrust her behind him and whispered so only we could hear, "just follow my lead and don't do anything," he managed to stifle a chuckle, "primitive." He linked his fingers through Anne's and I could almost feel her soul sigh at the connection.

"Come to pay your respects, have you?" he almost shouted at the intruders who slowly continued to advance. "She was a lovely woman, she deserves much more than this stone here. Are you from the funeral company? We have words about the conditions here." I knew he was trying to buy time, but I also knew it was futile as most of the men had split their focus between Anne or myself. It was clear they didn't see Jeffrey as a threat or a target.