Boulder Meadow Ch. 03

Story Info
Two young women visit a meadow.
8k words
4.82
2.6k
4

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 01/30/2024
Created 01/29/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
joeunning
joeunning
17 Followers

Boulder Meadow Ch. 03

joeunning

Elijah and Bessy Collins eventually made their way to Upper Canada. Their night on Boulder Meadow resulted in the young couple's dream. Nine months later a little baby boy was born. Elijah was on the top of the world. Life in Upper Canada meant he would no longer be another human being's property, and now he had a son. He found work on a fishing boat, first on Lake Ontario then, later, on a boat that plied the waters of the Grand Banks of Newfoundland. The Collins had other children and lived to see the day Upper and Lower Canada were merged into the Dominion of Canada.

(I stayed in my position, presiding over Boulder Meadow. I do move a little bit each year, but geologic time is difficult for the average human to understand, but that's neither here nor there and I have another story to tell.)

(Many years passed after Elijah and Bessy fucked each other on my face. Hunters continued to hunt around me, adventurous young men climbed the many mountains nearby, the new hobby of photography brought many enthusiasts who often would set their equipment on my face and photograph the meadow and valley. Some would follow the sun and at dusk would photograph me, particularly as the sun bounced off my crevices. Occasionally, a couple engaged in a quick fuck on or near me. None of these were noteworthy enough to recount here, though I did experience the cute backsides of many young girls as their boyfriends or husbands screwed them missionary style on my face. There was one instance sometime around in the first decade of the twentieth century that I found quite stimulating.)

Annie Featherstone was about to be on her own. She recently turned nineteen and her parents told her they could no longer support her along with her five siblings. As the eldest, Annie helped around the small New York city flat where her family lived, but she also cost money and that led her parents to their decision that she leave home. Her father worked various jobs as a laborer, but money was tight, and Annie's departure would mean there was one less mouth to feed.

The building where she lived was crowded with many families, many spoke languages Annie could not understand. And while there were several young girls around her own age, she never felt close to them due to both language barriers and the fact that all seemed to be focusing on helping their own families make ends meet. So, the time came for Annie to find her own way in the world.

Annie's father gave her twenty dollars, nearly a month's wages, on the day Annie left home. Her mother gave her a bag of fresh bread, and with tears in everyone's eyes Annie made her way out of the flat for the last time. She previously had contacted a Mrs. Rasmussen who ran a boarding house for young unwed girls several blocks away. Annie arrived at the appointed time and met with her new overlord, who seemed to have a permanent scowl about her face. Mrs. Rasmussen, Annie only assumed she had a given name, but never learned what it was, read Annie the house rules. All meals were served at specific times, no male visitors without a week's notice requested in writing, lights out at 11PM (at which time the electricity was shut off), no girl could visit another girl's room, etc. Aside from traveling to and from their employers, all external activities needed Mrs. Rasmussen's written approval one week in advance. Most important, the $3.00 rent was due every Saturday by noon.

Despite the rigidity, Annie fell into a pattern. She met another young girl, Marie Heywood, who was about her age but had lived with Mrs. Rasmussen for roughly a year. Marie's room was next to Annie's and the two soon began talking whenever their paths crossed. As their friendship grew, Annie learned more about her neighbor. Marie hailed from a town to the north, grew up on a farm, and had come to the city in search of finding her own way. Marie talked fondly of her home and family but was determined to make her own way in the world. Even though Annie had spent her entire life in New York, Marie came across as more worldly, wiser in the ways of society.

Marie worked at a garment factory and thus had the means to pay her rent. Annie looked several days for work, but to no avail. She was frugal with her father's money, but she also knew that unless she found work sooner rather than later, she soon would be unable to pay her weekly rent. One evening as they made their way to their respective rooms, Annie approached Marie. Even though I was against the rules, Marie invited Annie into her room as she readied herself for bed.

"How did you find your job?" Annie asked. She whispered her question fearing other girls may tattle if they learned Annie and Marie were together.

Marie smiled and looked Annie in the eye. "Join me tomorrow, there are always positions available. But I'll warn you, the rules are very strict, I really wish I could work elsewhere."

Much of what Marie said fell on deaf ears, as Annie's thoughts clung to the hope that she might find employment. A job meant money, and with money she could pay her rent and pay for laundry and live without the fears that came with unemployment.

Always one to push the envelope, Marie's attention turned to her fair friend. Annie's hair was quite like her own, a light, mousy blond that she kept in a pompadour style. Thick and luxurious, Annie's hair fit the style well. Marie's hair was not as naturally curly. Marie had to use curling tongs to achieve a similar look. Knowing Annie would soon need to make her way to her own room, Marie had an idea. Could she shock Annie, and how would Annie respond? While Annie whispered on, Marie was not paying attention. Instead, she began unbuttoning her blouse to change into her nightshirt.

Annie caught sight of Marie's actions and wanted to look away, but as Marie slipped out of her floor-length skirt, Annie found herself staring. Marie's table lamp was the only source of illumination and as Marie stood between it and her friend, Annie could see Marie's small breasts beneath the chemise she wore. Suddenly, Annie snapped back to the present and realized she must leave before evening bed check. She said a quick goodnight, the image of Marie's breasts etched in her mind. Once alone, Marie smiled, finished undressing, and ran her hands across her naked body before she donned her nightshirt. The seed she planted was beginning to sprout.

Annie went with Marie to her employer the next day and was hired as a garment worker. There's no need for more details on the girls' employment, but Annie and Marie worked at the same company for the next several months, their friendship growing each day.

Marie took every opportunity to show affection towards Annie, walking a fine line between companionship and seduction. Annie was a nice person whom Marie respected, but Marie had a precocious side that always pushed her towards risk-taking. The two found many amusements in each other's company. Once comfortable with each other, they often requested time away from Mrs. Rasmussen's to walk in parks or visit the library. At least that's what their permission slips said. While they often went to their intended destinations, they'd take roundabout ways to get there. Marie always seemed to find ways to get Annie away from the crowds where they could speak more candidly.

Though more innocent than Marie, Annie was not unaware of Marie's intentions. Marie often put her face just inches from Annie's as they spoke or watched people playing in the park. Annie allowed Marie to guide her arm in arm as they walked the busy streets. Annie felt comfortable with Marie's touch and always enjoyed the fragrance of her hair. The two girls made sure their actions did not draw the attention of the police or the general public, and they looked alike enough to pass as sisters, or at least cousins, if anyone ever approached them. Once back at Mrs. Rasmussen's they remained vigilant, less their increasingly unconventional relationship be suspected by any of the others they lived with.

Yet as the summer progressed, Marie grew more pensive about her future. One August evening when Annie sneaked again into Marie's room, Annie sensed something was bothering Marie. "You seem distant, is something wrong?" Annie asked.

"It's nothing," Marie whispered back, "it's just the heat is getting to me." Marie's words were unconvincing, but it had been a brutally hot period the past several days. To escape the heat, she'd begun foregoing her nightshirt and once bed check was complete, she would throw back the covers and lie naked, hoping the still air would at least cool her somewhat.

"You know what?" Marie asked attempting to change the subject.

"What?" Annie asked.

"I sleep naked on nights like this."

Annie's eyes widened. "You what?" Her whisper was louder than she intended.

Lightly giggling, Marie went on, "yes, once I know its clear, off comes this nightshirt and there I am, all naked."

"You're evil," Annie snickered.

"I am not, I think I'm quite religious." As she spoke, Marie once again began to undress.

"Scandalous for sure, but not religious at all'" Annie chided back, her voice now lower again.

"Very religious, I'm following Eve's example." At this she let out a small laugh.

"Eve wore a fig leaf," Annie insisted.

"Only after the apple, not before. The Bible says, they were both naked and they were not ashamed."

"Marie, what am I to do with you?"

"Just watch," came Marie's reply, and she slipped off her chemise and went towards the bed. Annie admired Marie's naked backside as she moved. Marie turned back, grabbed her nightshirt and slipped it over her head, but not before Annie had a full view of Marie's small breasts with large puffy nipples, flat stomach, narrow hips, and a wide swath of brownish pubic hair between her legs.

"Alright, Miss 'Eve,' I have to go," said a grinning Annie. But before she left, Annie reached to hug her friend and was surprised when she gave Marie a brief kiss on her clothed shoulder. Marie felt Annie's clothed breasts up against hers as they embraced. She thought she felt Annie's nipples harden but before she could really tell, the embrace ended, and Annie left the room.

Marie continued to think of Annie as she climbed into bed. The summertime heat of New York City was stifling. Marie thought of her home, several hours away in the northern part of the state. The oppressive heat brought a feeling of homesickness. At home it always seemed cooler. At home there were places to escape the heat. Here in the city, there was nothing. There were beaches far to the south and east but there never seemed to be any time to go.

In her own bed, Annie lay awake. She thought about the kiss and seeing Marie's nude body. Marie may have been scandalous, but she awoke in Annie thoughts Annie never had before. Annie lay on her own bed, suddenly feeling the heat more intensely than earlier. Once the night supervisor completed tonight's bed check, Annie felt a sense of boldness. She sat up in bed, removed her nightshirt then quickly lay back down, but pulling the blankets up to her neck in case the night supervisor returned. Beneath the safety of blankets, Annie's hands roamed across her nude body. She felt her breasts and her small nipples. Next, she reached down to her own public hair, running her fingers through it and occasionally feeling her warm vulva beneath the curly hairs. She thought of going further, but the fear of being caught frightened her enough to be content with what she'd already done. Eventually exhaustion overtook her, and the thought that Marie was most likely doing the same thing eased her mind into a restful, but brief slumber.

Despite her growing friendship with Annie, Marie continued to feel a sense of forlornness about her situation. Each day she did what was expected of her, but she longed for change. She hated her job, she received less pay than her male coworkers, though she could perform more diverse tasks than most three men combined. She missed her home, the farm and her family. She'd thought of home many times while in her room at night. Couldn't she return home and find a way to live away from the city? She could always find a husband, but that brought no calm to her emotions. And now there was Annie, her one true friend in the entire world. Marie enjoyed Annie's companionship, and more important, she valued this friendship. The constant flirtations, those were not just the whims of a precocious young lady; she knew the laws. She knew that if she really acted on her feelings towards Annie she could end up in an asylum, but what could she do? There had to be a way. Then one night it came to her. Actually, two realizations came to her. First, she would leave the city and return home. The second was bigger, more dangerous, more frightening. Marie was in love with Annie. She sensed joy, she sensed fear; Marie cried herself to sleep that night.

Marie woke the next morning determined to sort out her emotions. It was Sunday and after the mandatory prayers and church service, she and Annie had permission to enjoy the local park once again. If asked what the sermon was about that morning, Marie would never have been able to give even a guess. All throughout church her thoughts were of Annie, the pretty young woman sitting beside her. How could she convey her feelings? Did Annie feel the same? Could they keep their relationship outwardly platonic and avoid suspicion? Then the big question, could she convince Annie to return home with her? And finally, the biggest question: could she seduce Annie?

Church finally ended, and after their midday meal, Annie and Marie made their way to the park. Marie was less talkative than usual, something Annie quickly picked up on. Thinking back on the time in Marie's room, when Marie evaded Annie's probing questions, Annie thought of how to rephase her words so not to put Marie on the spot.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Annie finally asked as they entered the park.

"My thoughts are worth more than a penny," came Marie's reply, and to herself she thought, "if only you knew, my love, I'd have to charge you five dollars per word."

Sensing the defenses going back up, Annie grew more direct. "There's something bothering you."

Days of struggle with her emotions finally reflected across Marie's face "I'm fine," Marie began, but then the tears started to flow. "Oh Annie, I feel so lost. I miss my family; I miss my home. This city is not a home, it's a giant prison. It's unbearably hot in summer, and so cold in the winter. I wish I could just fly away and never come back."

Annie reached for Marie to hug her, but Marie sidestepped her friend.

"I hate work," Marie continued. "Every day I see injustice. I think of what would happen if there was a fire or other emergency. We'd never make it out alive. Annie, I just hate this fucking city!"

Marie's words shocked Annie. In all the time she'd known Marie, she never heard her use foul language. Clearly, something was deeply disturbing her friend. "Marie," Annie began, but Marie was sobbing enough that she was drawing the attention of those near where they walked. When one middle-aged woman approached, Annie reacted fast. "It's OK, ma'am, my cousin just lost her puppy. The poor thing dashed into the street and was run over by a wagon." The lie was enough to satisfy woman, who turned and continued on her way.

Eventually, Marie calmed, and they spent the rest of the day enjoying each other's company, though not with the carefree joy that had on previous Sundays. Annie's gentleness soothed Marie's frazzled emotions, making Marie fall ever deeper in love with her friend. Daylight began to fade, and the pair made their way back to Mrs. Rasmussen's. Sunday evening prayers were mandatory, and for once, Marie had a lot to pray about, though if Mrs. Rasmussen knew what Marie really prayed for, her bloomers likely would have exploded. Marie retired to her room that night sure of three things. She knew she had to leave New York, she knew that whatever they faced, Annie and she would find a way, and Marie knew she could not live without Annie.

Each passing day, Marie worked and reworked her ideas. At some point, those ideas morphed into a plan, and Marie clung to that plan, crafting and refining it to the point that she felt it was ready for implementation. All she needed was a catalyst, maybe even divine intervention, to force her to act. Then, one day in September it happened, Mrs. Rasmussen had a stroke. Always in questionable health, Mrs. Rasmussen one day just simply collapsed. While the girls felt sympathy for their landlord, they began to wonder what would happen to them. Marie took it as manifestation of the sign she'd been hoping for, her prayers were answered. There was only one question now, would her plan actually work?

After Mrs. Rasmussen's body had been removed to the local morgue, Marie entered Annie's room, no longer caring if rules were in place. "Annie," she said sitting on Annies dressing table chair, "let's leave. Let's go to where I'm from. I'm sure there's employment there. It has to be better than the city. I feel bad for Mrs. Rasmussen, but we have our future to think of."

Annie was unsure how to respond, but given the circumstances, she figured something would need to change. She felt a bond with Marie. She couldn't imagine living apart from Marie. She decided that whatever Marie chose to do, Annie would follow. Then she reflected on Marie's last statement, "'our' future?" That thought warmed her soul.

"I'll go where you go," Annie said matter-of-factly to Marie.

"Oh, Annie, I'm so happy!" Marie announced. "I'll be your guide, I'll show you all my favorite places. Annie, I'm so happy. We're leaving this fucking city!"

Annie looked at Marie, who had a broad smile on her face. She said nothing, but thought to herself, "why does she insist on using that word?" But Marie appeared to be giddy with excitement, so Annie let the issue drop.

Observing Marie's smile, Annie realized this was the first time in weeks that she had seen her friend genuinely smile. Annie felt like their relationship had turned a corner. No longer would they just be roommates and coworkers, they would go off on an adventure together. But there was more to Annie's reflection. She wanted Marie to be happy, even more so, she wanted to be with Marie, no matter where she went. Over the past several weeks she had seen so many sides of Marie, she could not count them all. It was like she had a list. At the top was a name, "Marie Heywood" and several lines below, all of them character traits. There was responsible Marie, working to pay her expenses. There was the daring Marie, wanting to leave the security of steady employment for some unknown destination. Then there was the naughty Marie, who undressed unabashedly in front of Annie. There was the devilish Marie, who used bad words. There was the driven Marie, who set goals and followed them. There was the brave Marie, who was so confident she asked Annie to join her. Finally, there was the beautiful Marie, a combination of all the virtues she just listed, who even had a devilishly naughty side. How could she not want to be with this person, or more precise, how could she live without this person? Then it came to her, hitting her head on, Annie was in love with Marie. "Oh, my," she thought upon her epiphany, "I have some serious thinking to do." She had no way to know Marie's feelings about her, but she figured she'd have plenty of time in the coming weeks to sort things out.

The next day, Annie and Marie packed. There was no point in returning to work, they'd probably be fired anyway, so they just headed for the train station and bought tickets to Marie's hometown. They sat in a plush chair in a passenger car, Annie at the window. Marie wanted her friend to see the world outside of New York City.

joeunning
joeunning
17 Followers