Break-In Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Faculty members that had come were also ushered out. Carmela protested, saying he wanted to speak before the Trustees. Jan Camp said she had petitions to submit, and Myrtle L. James told her to leave those petitions with her (Mrs. James) and they would be reviewed by the Board. She also told Carmela he would be called back in if the Trustees cared to hear his opinion. Jan Camp left mollified; Carmela left 'not mollified', to say the least.

Once the room was cleared, Laura was 'invited' to sit in a chair on the front row in the middle, directly across from Myrtle L. James. Her chair had no armrests; it was just a stereotypical hotel chair. While the Trustees had bottled waters at their places, Laura had none and had not been offered any.

Marcia Harland spoke up immediately. "Madame Chair, I am wondering if Mr. Todd Burke should recuse himself from these proceedings; after all, he is the blood nephew of Dr. Fredricson's husband, and Mr. Burke's wife works in the Police with Mr. Burke's uncle."

"I agree." said Beatrice S. York, the longtime Trustee that was deeply religious, and was one of the 'Westboro Deniers' that did not believe the First Baptist Church pastor had been the Consultant of Crime. "Mr. Burke, will you recuse yourself based upon those family connections?"

"Not gonna happen." said Todd Burke. "I am absolutely going to do what I can to promote Dr. Fredricson's cause, and I will be voting for her. And not just because of family relations, but because I know she will be an outstanding choice to be University President."

"Madame Chair," said J.P. Goldman, "we normally and often have one of the Board members serve as the (air quotes) 'prosecuting attorney' for one side, and someone as the spokesperson for the other side. It would only be natural and right that Mr. Burke be the spokesman for Dr. Fredricson. Even if he chooses to not play that role, I am against him recusing himself."

"We cannot force Mr. Burke to recuse himself, nor anyone else to recuse themselves." said Myrtle L. James. "But let's not get bogged down on side issues like that. I'll ask the first question. Dr. Fredricson, did you seek this job, or were you offered it without indicating any interest in it?"

Laura replied "I was offered it. The Governor did speak with others to gauge my possible interest, so I knew that she was considering me, but I did not agree to the nomination for a while even after she offered it."

"So do you really want the job?" Robert 'B-1 Bob' Berry growled. "We need someone committed to this job. It doesn't sound like you are."

Laura said "Once I made the decision to accept the job, I've committed to it totally. I'm helping my graduate students find other professors to help them finish their degrees, and I'm not taking on new ones. I'm winding down my projects, as well. Many of them were for the Government, so it's no problem to wrap them up."

"Yes, let's talk about that." said Marcia Harland. "You didn't just work for the Government, you were a high level Deputy Director of the CIA, an organization that has committed atrocities against people all over the world. Tell me, Dr. Fredricson, did you personally oversee the torture of foreign nationals anywhere in the world?"

"Now just a minute!" shouted Todd Burke. "You are totally out of line, asking that!"

"And you're out of line not recusing yourself!" Harland fired back. "I stand by the question, Dr. Fredricson: did you personally participate in or oversee the torture of foreign nationals anywhere in the world? Because if you did, and the Press finds out... and the Press will find out, and I'll do everything in my power to help them find out... then the embarrassment to this University and the damage to its reputation will be incalculable."

Laura said "My career with the CIA was in the Science and Technology Directorate. Much of my psychology work was commissioned by the Company, and my findings were very helpful in the success of the CIA mission to protect this Nation. I know you don't care about our Nation, Ms. Harland, so you won't be happy about that. In any case, I'm not going to discuss any operational details of my career and actions within the CIA with you."

George 'Mash' Woodham said "I also object to Ms. Harland's ridiculous and offensive line of inquiry, and I for one appreciate Dr. Fredricson's honorable service on behalf of this Nation, and I note she achieved a rare thing in being awarded the Distinguished Intelligence Cross... while still alive to receive it in person."

Woodham: "Having said that, Dr. Fredricson, are you also prepared to give up your medical practice to take the Presidency job?"

Laura said "For the most part, yes. I believe I can continue my work as the Volunteer Police Psychologist for the Town & County Public Safety Department, and I'll officially remain On Staff at University Hospital, so I can perform emergency surgeries if needed. But I'll be giving up my gynecology practice, and likely won't be in the business of delivering babies on a regular basis."

Woodham: "If you're giving up your medical practice, why did you fight so hard to keep your medical license?"

Laura turned her eyes and said with a voice that could freeze lava: "Because the State Medical Board was not only wrong, but unjust, to suspend our licenses, and to revoke Dr. Cordell's license on behalf of the corrupt BigBenefitInsurance CEO, Jeff Woolsey. I saw that as literally a good-vs-evil fight. And let me be clear: I will be doing everything I can to help Dr. Cordell fight and defeat the unjust action done to him."

Woodham said no more, but the look on his face showed clearly his dissatisfaction with that answer. As CEO of BigPulpAndPaper, he was one of the 'Big Boyz', and a personal friend of Jeff Woolsey.

Marcia Harland said "I have another question, especially since you didn't answer my first one. Dr. Fredricson, do you accept that the 'Science is settled' and that Climate Change is real and one of the greatest threats to the world? And will you lead the University in championing Climate Justice---"

Todd Burke said loudly "I object to the false premise of that question. The science is not settled, no matter how often you repeat the lie."

"Hear hear." barked J.P. Goldman.

"You're both Climate Deniers, and liars!" yelled Harland. She turned back to Laura and said "Well, do you?" Myrtle L. James had looked like she was going to step in, but didn't.

Laura finally said "The University is a research Institution devoted to finding the Truth, not pronouncing political points as definitely settled. I am not a Climate Skeptic, but I am equally opposed to the politicization and weaponization of scientific issues. I will support the University's research and teaching missions, of course."

"We will move on." Myrtle L. James (finally) said.

Harold S. Truelove said "Doctor, you have acquired the reputation of being the 'sex professor' on Campus, teaching immoral and irreligious subjects. I personally find it offensive and reprehensible what you are teaching our children---"

"And exactly what am I teaching, Mr. Truelove?" Laura fired back. When she was met by 'deafening' silence, she said "Well?"

"You teach sex, and other immoral subjects," said Truelove, "including championing homosexuality and deviant behaviors."

"Which shows you have no idea what I teach." Laura said levelly. "Mr. Truelove, I study, teach, and practice psychology. I teach about the psychology of human interactions and relationships, and sexual issues are a huge part of that. And I'm studying through real scientific methods, not the politicized dictates of being forced to accept Climate Change as 'settled science', and not through religious beliefs that are just that... beliefs, not provable, reproducible facts."

Truelove: "So you won't be advocating steering this University towards a stronger moral center? but would rather allow this School to continue decaying into a cesspool of immorality and Socialist groupthink?"

Laura: "I never said nor implied that, and I resent you attempting to put those words into my mouth! Now who's being the dishonest, hypocritical one, spouting religion in one sentence, then attempting to deceive the next?"

Truelove was generally a very nice man, but now his hackles were up. He said angrily "The University Presidency is a position that requires a higher moral compass and a better standard than a professor of sexual subjects. I find your lack of the moral standard needed to be University President a 'dealbreaker'."

Beatrice S. York, who was deeply religious, much more so than Truelove, said "I agree with that, and I want to take it up further about the sexual subjects you teach, Dr. Fredricson. One of your students, Tiffany Barclay, was studying prostitution... by being a prostitute. And she ended up dead." (Author's note: 'Midnight City'.)

Laura: "She was murdered by her father, and my husband solved that case, so don't you dare try to put that on me---"

York interrupted: "And Carl Ryder? Part of a male prostitution ring? Sperm donors for hire? Being run out of your office?"

Todd Burke interjected: "You're very close to actionable slander now, Mrs. York."

J.P. Goldman added "And you sound like Lionel Carmela, trying to create a crime where none exists."

Beatrice S. York: "Blind squirrels find acorns every once in a while, and sometimes I actually agree with Lionel Carmela. In this case, I definitely agree that the scandals from your office, Dr. Fredricson, disqualify you from being University President..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:45am, Saturday, May 15th. Molly, Teresa, and I were chatting in our chairs in the lobby of the Lakeside Inn & Suites when an entourage of Escalades and security vehicles pulled into the driveway that went to the back kitchen areas, where George Aurus had ambushed and captured Cindy Ross. (Author's note: 'Power', Ch. 04.)

A few minutes later, Governor Sharon Marshall came through the dining room and up to us. We all stood up respectfully, and the Governor shook all our hands.

"I'm going to have lunch with the Trustees." the Governor said. "I just got word that they've finished talking with Dr. Fredricson."

"I'll escort you to them," I said, "and escort my wife wherever she needs to go." With that, the Governor and I went down the hallway to the rooms where the Trustees were. When we got there, Laura was in the hallway. She and the Governor greeted each other warmly, then the Governor went into the meeting room, where a sumptuous lunch was being brought out.

Laura's face looked stoic, but I sensed more than saw her emotions behind her eyes. I gave my wife a hug, then we began walking back towards the lobby.

"How did it go?" I asked as Laura took my arm and we walked down the hallway.

"Badly." Laura said. "They ripped into me from all sides. And I'm not an Iron-Crowbar-class Detective, but even I could see that Todd was right, and they were against me from the start. They didn't ask me a single question about what I would do as President to further improve the University. It was all attack questions..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"...you are pukes! You're the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human fucking beings! You are nothing but unorganized grabasstic pieces of amphibian shit!"
--- Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann (portrayed by R. Lee Ermey), from the movie 'Full Metal Jacket'.

And that's pretty much what I think of journalists.

Those amphibians of the Press Pool were angry. No food nor even snacks had been provided for them by the Trustees nor the Governor, so they had to eat at their own expense. Ergo, the dining room was flooded with reporters. By way of contrast, the Police Officers and State Patrol security were being fed, courtesy of the Governor of the State, and they were being rotated into the line in small groups in the room next to the one the Trustees were in.

Molly, Teresa, Laura, and myself were at a table in that room, and we'd invited State Patrol Captain Cortese, who was leading his Troopers in protection detail this day, to sit with us at our table. He accepted, and we talked about State Patrol things for a while.

When he was finished, Captain Cortese excused himself, getting back to his duties but also knowing we'd want to talk amongst ourselves with Laura. After he left, my wife went through what had transpired during her 'interrogation'. We were all shocked, not only at the questions, but at who had been asking them.

I said "Beatrice S. York obviously was using Lionel Carmela's talking points. I sure would not have thought that those two would be in an unholy alliance like that."

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Molly said in the form of a quotation...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 3:30pm, Todd Burke escorted Governor Sharon Marshall to a small conference room off the main lobby, where we were waiting. The Governor wasted no time breaking the bad news:

"I'm sorry, Laura." she said. "They voted you down. I'm absolutely shocked. And I'm sorry I put you through that. If I'd known they were so hostile to you, I would not have nominated you." Laura nodded, absorbing the news that she'd expected for several hours.

Governor Marshall continued: "And I know you thought a lot about it and maybe even agonized over it. I'm sorry I put you through that, as well."

Laura said "No, you don't have to apologize. It actually was good for me to go through that process of considering it. It made me think about my future, and my priorities... and it was a good excuse to share some Pappy Van Winkle with my husband and talk with him."

I was not fooled; Laura's attempt at humor was a defense mechanism. She was trying not to show it, but she was very disappointed, and perhaps shocked at the level of hostility towards her... from both sides.

"If I may ask," I said, breaking the subdued silence, "who are you nominating next?"

Todd said "Not Lionel Carmela, for damn sure." A sense of relief swept through us at that news.

Governor Marshall said "Marcia Harland and Zack Millner pushed for him or Jan Camp, though. So did Bob Berry. Camp was shot down immediately; the Trustees remember her lawsuit against the School. And Todd here got into a shouting match with Marcia Harland over Carmela, but he needn't have worried; there was as little support for him as there was for Laura."

Governor Marshall: "To answer your question, Don, I brought up Dr. Clarence P. Chase, and there was not a lot of enthusiasm for him. I also brought up Dr. Lawrence Woodrow. Marcia Harland and Bob Berry were strongly against Woodrow, because he had worked with the Police before, running your Crime Lab." (Author's note: Dr. Woodrow leaving the TCPD occurred somewhere between 'Semper Fidelis' and 'Return of the Black Widow.)

Governor Marshall: "So I brought up Dr. Jerry Moore, who is the Chancellor at Midtown College, their second-highest official after their President. He and his wife are almost clones of the Wellmans in terms of their contacts, hosting events, raising money. He's Left-of-Center, but nowhere near as radical as Carmela, Camp, and Juanita Rivera. I think he'll be a decent fit. The Trustees approved of him in advance, so all I have to do is ask him and get his acceptance..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:00pm, Saturday, May 15th. With all the kids, including Todd and Teresa's, at The Cabin with Molly and Paulina, Laura and I, Todd and Teresa, and J.P. Goldman and Selena Steele came over to the Mountain Nest for a dinner party. Todd and I cooked steaks on the grill, while Laura and Teresa fixed the vegetables and bread in the kitchen. It had been meant to be a celebration dinner, but we decided to eat well anyway.

As we ate dinner in the dining room, Teresa started up the conversation by saying what she'd wanted to know for hours: "I don't understand why they voted Laura down so hard. If they were against her from the start, why did the Governor even nominate her? Doesn't seem fair to Laura to do that."

Todd said "I'm not supposed to talk about this, but I trust you all to not repeat it to others. First of all, Governor Marshall talked to me, and I think she talked to you, Mr. Goldman?" J.P. Goldman nodded vigorously in agreement, and Todd continued: "I think she talked to the others, as well. And she had a majority for approval at the time of her nomination."

"What changed?" Teresa asked.

Todd said "To make a short story long, the vote was 2-9, with only me and Mr. Goldman voting for. The Governor told me, as I walked her to her vehicle after telling you the news, that she thought Myrtle L. James, Mr. Goldman, George Woodham, Zack Millner, and I were going to be votes for Laura, and she hoped to have at least one or two from Bob Berry, Harold Truelove, and Beatrice York."

Todd: "Mr. Truelove had never been very supportive of Laura, and I think he told the Governor that. But I got the impression that Beatrice York might've outright lied to the Governor about her support, or else she had a total 180 reversal. Zack Millner brought up the students rioting over Laura's nomination, and he said he thought those riots would go on, especially if Laura tried to remove Carmela."

"Which I fully intended to do." Laura said matter-of-factly.

Todd said "Marcia Harland really glommed onto that, as she was pushing Carmela really hard. Millner suggested Jan Camp, but that got shot down faster than Palestinian missiles by Israel's 'Iron Dome' technology. Point being: I think those riots, and the unrest over Dr. Wellman for all those months, really influenced the thinking of Mrs. James and Beatrice York, as well as Millner."

I said "That makes sense. Millner is spineless; he lets the political winds blow him around like a piece of paper in a tornado. But what about George Woodham?"

Todd said "Woodham is a tough man that worked his way up from the sawmill floor to be the CEO of BigPulpAndPaper. I didn't think he was an all-out Crony Capitalist like the CEOs of BigPharmaCorp, BigCommo, BigRoadAnd Rail, and BigBenefitInsurance, et cetera, but that spat between Aunt Laura and Woolsey was what turned him. He even asked me how I could support Aunt Laura after what she said about BigBenefitInsurance, and I just stared right through him as if he was a sick-minded KXTC journalist."

Laura said "I didn't help matters with my responses to him in the meeting today, either. But it's moot; they were against me from both sides."

Todd said "Once Laura was voted down, Marcia Harland started pushing very hard for Carmela. At one point I pointed out the hypocrisy of complaining about Aunt Laura's CIA work and the alleged scandals over Tiffany Barclay and the Babymaker Ring while totally ignoring that there was an ongoing FBI investigation into Carmela over his crimes. Harland went off on me after that, and we had a good 15-minute shouting match, trading barbs back and forth. You would've loved it, Teresa." He was needling his wife, of course.

The Iron Wolf replied "Hmmph! I wouldn't have engaged her... at least not verbally."

"Laura, what do you think of Dr. Jerry Moore?" J.P. Goldman asked.

Laura said "I can think of a lot worse for that position. Dr. Moore is a lot like Sidney Wellman. He's an Administrator at heart, and he's done well for Midtown College and raising money for them. His wife is an asset to him, as Sally Wellman has been an asset to Sidney. And those agitating students will have trouble finding anything to agitate over him."

Laura: "On the flip side, he won't do a lot to oppose Lionel Carmela, Jan Camp, and Juanita Rivera, though they should be careful not to try to push him around. He'll probably go along with re-casting the Biology Department as a Climate Change research center, which will hurt the Medical School, because any pre-Med Biology students will transfer or drop out."