Break-In Ch. 01

Story Info
Laura faces the Board of Trustees; a new case for the Team.
18.4k words
4.75
7.6k
10

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 09/22/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 1 - Prologue

8:30am, Monday, May 10th. Lieutenants Micah Rudistan, Mary Mahoney Milton, and Jerome Davis came into Captain Claire Michaels's conference room. It was B.Y. O. C. (Bring Your Own Coffee), as Claire did not like Jerome's 'Navy' coffee nor Rudistan's poor substitute, and Intel's 'Ranger coffee' was made by newly-upgraded Auxiliary Detective Terry Halston, and was just about as strong as Jerome's.

"Everyone have a seat, please." said Claire Michaels as she came into the room. The others were standing at their chairs, and let her sit down before they did. Claire said "Anything big happen over the weekend?"

Mary Milton said "The Campus Police and SBI contacted Intel about a growing situation on the University campus. They believe that students might start protesting Governor Marshall's possible nomination of Dr. Laura Fredricson to the University Presidency post, and wanted us to be aware if things spilled over off of Campus. The Trustees are planning to meet tomorrow, so the agitators may save the worst of their anger for them. I've notified Commander Croyle already."

Claire nodded. "Yes, that's not really our focus as the Detective Division, but I know Intel is supposed to serve more than just the Detective Division. Just keep me in the loop on any new developments, and by that I mean tell me anything you tell Commander Croyle. Okay, anything in Vice and MCD?"

"Yes ma'am." said Lt. Rudistan. "A month ago, we had some convenience store holdups by perps using a Toyota Camry and a Corolla. We've been calling them the 'Toyota Gang'." (Author's note: 'Vengeance Is Mine', Ch. 01.)

Rudistan: "We hadn't heard anything of them in this area for weeks, but Saturday night they hit a convenience store in Buford, in Coltrane County to our south, then hit a convenience store and gas station in our County, on Hotel Row south of Town. Same descriptions... all black clothes, all black masks, no markings, no patches, can't even determine any skin color. Vehicles were the dark gray Camry in Buford, and lighter gray Corolla up here. Car tags were reported as stolen six months ago from cars in Alvaton and Pottsville."

Claire asked "Same people as before? How can you tell?"

Mary replied: "Addition by subtraction, ma'am. Ranger Halston has been studying the video we have on them at many of their holdups in this County and out of it. Their lack of identifying features is becoming an identifying feature. And while their clothes lack any unique identifiers, they're so much alike from perp to perp that that in itself is a tell that they are very likely the same guys."

Claire: "I really wish you would not call Auxiliary Detective Halston 'Ranger' Halston. And it's hard to believe the Chief and Commander let him make an Airborne jump when he has PTSD."

"It's had a very positive effect on him, ma'am." said Mary. "His doctors are going to put him through another battery of tests, and he may get the PTSD prohibition from being armed lifted."

"We'll see about that." Claire said, almost absentmindedly. "Okay, do we have anything else on these 'Toyota' holdups? And why am I hearing about them from Vice and not MCD?"

Rudistan said "Ma'am, things like this often start out in Vice, due to possible drug connections. We start contacting our C.I.s to get street chatter on it. And we'll begin having stakeouts if we can get a pattern on the perps."

Jerome David added: "MCD is going to come in on it, though, ma'am, especially since they've come back."

"And take the credit for the busts after Vice does all the work?" Claire asked sharply. All three Lieutenants were openly shocked.

"It's not like that, ma'am." said Rudistan. "We work together very well."

"And our guys aren't like Savannah Fineman." Mary Milton said, a bit darkly. "We all work together to get the job done, and we're not trying to put citations on the wall."

"All right, all right." Captain Michaels said. "Okay, there's something else I want to talk about. Tell me about the partnerships within your divisions, especially in MCD."

Jerome went first: "As you know, ma'am, Joanne Warner and Theo Washington are partners, Julia Rodriguez and Teddy Parker are partners, and Roark Coleman and George Newman are partners------"

"And that's the point I'm about to make." said Claire. "Why are the Senior Detectives partners with each other, and the two most junior Detectives in the room partners with each other?"

Jerome said "Coleman and Newman were partners before coming into MCD, and they work well together... unless someone knows something that has not been expressed to me. And the same for the others: Julia's in-between when it comes to time in MCD, and she and Teddy have formed a very good working partnership. And Joanne and Theo have been partners for a very long time. Why would we want to break that up?"

Micah said "It's the same in Vice, ma'am. Statler and Waldorf came into Vice as partners. So did Hardy and Drew... and they're still mostly Uniformed reinforcements for us---"

Mary interrupted by saying "Ma'am, why would we want to break good partnerships up? Especially when they're working well together?"

Claire said "Perhaps so that the senior Detectives can impart some knowledge to the junior ones, and teach and mentor them?"

Micah: "That's what happened with Lisa Monroe and Joan Laurer. Monroe came over from the City P.D., and Joan is soaking up everything Lisa teaches her like a sponge. As to Grubby Paul and 'Ice Cube' Perry, they were de facto partners while Perry was deep undercover, and have a trust level that Perry needed when he came in from the cold."

Claire said "I get that. But it's also missing the point, especially for MCD. We have three Senior Detectives, and three junior ones. Why aren't you partnering a senior Detective with a junior one?"

Jerome said "I could say that's the way it's always been. But all of my guys are talking with each other, talking about the cases. And they all listen whenever Commander Troy or Sheriff Griswold start talking about something. It's not formal, but training is constant and ongoing, so the knowledge is getting disseminated."

"All right." Claire said. "What I want you, Davis, and you, Rudistan to do is for each of you to write a 'white paper' on the partnerships, including who you'd reassign with who in order to spread out the knowledge and experience. Get that to me by close-of-business Friday."

Rudistan, ever the jovial troublemaker, asked "Just what is a 'white paper'? Where did that term come from?"

"I don't know." said Claire, not really in a mood for Rudistan at the moment.

Mary said "Commander Ross told me it comes from England. The British Parliament doesn't operate like Congress does. The British Government will start a policy idea with what they call a 'green paper', and circulate that around for discussion. When they formulate their final idea, they put it out in the form of a 'white paper', and it moves on to the rest of Parliament for debate and being made into law."

"I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill..." sang Rudistan.

"And the 'white paper' is what I want." said Claire. "I want to know what you're going to do to improve the partnerships in your departments..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile...

Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle came into my office, after being admitted by my assistant Helena French. As she came in, I flipped the file folders on my desk shut, and she noticed.

"Whatcha working on?" she asked.

I said "Just some stuff I promised some people I'd look into."

"Need help?" Teresa asked. "The Precincts are running smoothly, and I could use something extra to work on while we wait for the potential unrest."

"No, not with this." I replied. Teresa looked a little surprised. I noted it, and made the correct deduction, then said "No, I'm not going to tell you, at least not right now. When the time comes, I'll bring you in on it."

"O-kayyy." Teresa said. "I'll stop being curious while I have most of my nine lives left."

"I knew you were smart." I said. "One thing you can do for me is get with Captain Michaels and Lieutenant Mary Milton about these convenience store robberies. I don't like the direction they're headed, and I'd like you to make sure there are Uniformed Officers available to help the Detectives with any operations to find and arrest those fuckers."

"Wilco." Teresa said. She got up and left. I returned to the files I'd been perusing. It had been difficult to find the time, but I was working on the case given me by George Aurus's Wrangler Circus buddies concerning Claude Cardinal O'Leery. (Author's note: 'Vengeance Is Mine', Ch. 02, Epilogue.)

And I needed more before I brought Teresa into it; after all, she had converted to Roman Catholicism, and I did not want to damage the good that that had done for her life until it was absolutely necessary...

Part 2 - Old Business - Media Matters

(Author's note: It is necessary to wrap up some previous threads before we move along to the current mystery. Your patience is appreciated. If you're not interested, then feel free to move ahead to Part 5.)

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, May 11th, from the roof of the building at the corner of Riverside and College, with City Hall in her background. "Students are peacefully protesting the alleged nomination of Dr. Laura Fredricson as the next University President!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "Neither Governor Sharon Marshall nor Dr. Fredricson will confirm that the Governor has nominated the Head of the Psychology Department to the University Presidency; however, sources tell Channel Two News that that job has been offered and accepted. But student groups are angry, and are peacefully protesting. Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the athletic blonde reporterette, who was on the east side sidewalk of University Avenue, with the University Psychology Building in her background. "Student groups marched on Campus towards the President's Office building yesterday, chanting demands that the Governor choose someone else besides Laura Fredricson as the University's next President. Roll tape."

As tape rolled, showing a very short clip of protesters walking along the sidewalk and carrying signs, Amber's voice spoke over it, saying "The students that were marching cited their reasons for their opposition to Dr. Fredricson, which include a lack of commitment to important causes such as Minority Rights by not publicly and openly opposing the Police brutality of her husband, Police Commander Donald Troy; her previous employment as a top official in the CIA; and her lack of commitment to important issues such as Climate Justice."

The video then showed Amber talking to alleged students, asking them who would be acceptable as the next University President. One woman with a very short haircut said "I think the only acceptable candidates that would restore the University's prestige after the disaster of Wellman and the Fredricson nomination are Dr. Lionel Carmela or Dr. Jan Camp." Other students, poorly attired, echoed one or the other of those names.

Back to Amber live: "The Board of Trustees had planned to meet today at the University Conference Center to consider the Governor's nomination. However, after the peaceful student demonstrations, the meeting was postponed. Sources tell Channel Two News that the Trustees will meet in secret this Saturday. And while it is being reported that the Trustees would meet at the Hyatt Hotel, Channel Two News has learned that they actually will secretly convene at the Lakeside Inn & Suites in Nextdoor County. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber!" Bettina said as the feed returned to her. "That was trusted reporter Amber Harris with that important story." Then Bettina smiled brightly as she said: "And in other news, the Town & County Council meets tonight, and Police Commander Donald Troy is expected to appear after being subpoenaed by the Council at their last meeting. If he appears, Commander Troy will be admitting that Councilwoman Kelly Carnes does have the right to order him to appear before the Council. Let's go to trusted reporter Carl Lemay for more. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the tall, lean, black reporter, who was reporting from the parking lot behind the same building Bettina was on the rooftop of, with Police Headquarters as his background. "The Council voted to issue the subpoena at last week's meeting, demanding that Commander Troy appear to answer questions regarding his use, and some say abuse, of his authority to enter into contracts on behalf of the Police."

Lemay: "Councilperson Carnes originally demanded that Commander Troy appear before her and the Council to explain his entering into a contract with Police Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle, which enabled her to be an SBI Reserve Lieutenant as well as a TCPD Officer. Commander Troy subsequently entered into plea deals with criminal suspects, bypassing and usurping the District Attorney's Office in the process. District Attorney Miriam Walters has filed a lawsuit against Commander Troy over those plea deal contracts----"

The feed suddenly changed back to Bettina, who said "I apologize for cutting you off, Carl, but we have to make a correction. The subpoena requiring Commander Troy to appear before the Council also codified into law that individual Council Members do not have the authority nor power to compel anyone to appear before the Council. And now let's go to Jeff Hull for Sports. Jeff!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What the hell was that about?" asked Deputy Police Chief Tanya P. Muscone as she, Sheriff Griswold, Your Iron Crowbar (me), Chief Moynahan, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross watched the propaganda-cast and drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "Why did Bettina make that correction?"

For some reason, everyone's eyes went to me. I said "I'm really not supposed to say anything about this, due to my ongoing libel lawsuit against KXTC. So don't speak of this outside this room, nor to anyone else, even your loved ones. My attorney Mike G. Todd not only filed suit against KXTC, but he's made formal complaints to the FCC about them, and he has spoken to this State's U.S. Senators and our 1st District Congressman about them."

Your Iron Crowbar: "Pressure is being put on KXTC's owner, Katherine Woodburn, to rein in her filthy propagandists... er, journalists... or face the very real possibility that if KXTC continues the false reporting, like that bit about Carnes being able to dictate terms to me, then the FCC or the State really might shut KXTC down pending the outcome of the libel trial. Ergo, I suspect Katherine Woodburn called Bettina on the spot when she heard that little blurb about Carnes, and told Bettina to make an immediate on-air correction."

"Wow." said Teresa. "Has Katherine's lawyers contacted yours about a settlement?"

"Yes... well, her Insurance Company's attorneys contacted Mike." I said. "If KXTC loses the lawsuit, then the Insurance Company would theoretically have to pay the damages. But I had Mike put a clause into the lawsuit that insurance cannot pay the damages, because my goal is to bankrupt KXTC and take them off the air forever."

Teresa said "That does make sense. Todd told me that he's gotten word that Katherine is secretly putting KXTC up for sale. She must feel that you have a real case against KXTC this time."

"Or else she just doesn't want to be involved in the long, drawn-out legal battle." Tanya said.

"Changing the sub-jeccct," said Chief Moynahan, to change the subject, "how is Callie do-innng?"

Cindy replied "She's at home, and she's improving every day. She starts rehab today at the Hospital, so when you hear a scream clear across the County, you'll know those sadists that call themselves rehab specialists have begun treatment. Now I have a question: what is going on with Laura and these student protests?"

Teresa said "They weren't peaceful, for damn sure. Over 150 young people, allegedly students but you never know, marched on the President's home... not his office, but his home... and began rioting. They set fire to two cars as well as a large pile of trash they collected, then blocked the Fire Department from getting to the fires to put them out. The Campus Police and the State Patrol's Elite Combat Team interdicted, and the agitators dispersed pretty quickly at that point."

"How many arrests?" growled Sheriff Griswold.

"None, sir." Teresa said. "The Campus Police not only didn't pursue anyone, they got in the way of the State Patrol going after them. And the TCPD had been asked to not come on Campus and interdict the slugs, because everyone thought they'd try to make something out of Don being Laura's husband, and start up the old 'Police brutality' chants."

Cindy said "Okay, Don, I know you're (air quotes) 'sworn to secrecy', but for God's sake would you somehow let us know if your wife is going to be our University's next President?"

I said "I'd rather parachute out of a perfectly good aircraft while in flight and take the subsequent green crowbar beatdown, than endure what Laura would do to me if I said a word." Cindy's look at me connoted her lack of amusement as a green crowbar was waved in my general direction.

Teresa said "I'll let the cat out of the bag, to a point, anyway. Todd is one of the Trustees, and I would imagine he's really pissed off that Amber just revealed the location of their meeting Saturday, and despite deliberate leaks to fool the Press. The meeting is going to be at the Lakeside Inn & Suites in Nextdoor County."

"And?" Cindy prodded.

Teresa: "And they're going to meet." She stopped and sipped her coffee.

"Goddammit, stop teasing us!" Cindy all but shouted. I saw a little gleam in the Iron Wolf's eyes, knowing that she was getting under the Green Crowbar's skin.

I shook my head slightly, meaning Teresa needed to stop the teasing. However, she took it as a signal not to say any more, so I said out loud "Either tell her, or just stop talking about it."

Teresa said "Okay, okay. If all goes well at the Trustees's meeting, then Laura will be the next University President."

"Awesome!" said Tanya with great perkiness.

"If all goes well." I said. "But chances are, things won't go well. You want to explain, Teresa? Or shall I?"

"Go ahead." Teresa said.

I began: "There are nine Trustees, and it's a different Board than in Henry Wargrave's day. Mrs. Myrtle L. James is the Chairwoman. She's older than old, but she's still going strong with the Ladies Auxiliary, the Hot Wives Investment Club, and serving on the Board of Trustees. She likes Laura personally, but is concerned about the riots and also that Laura is my wife, and will draw hostile attention due to that."