Bringing Down the Barriers Pt. 02

Story Info
Peter and Harry become good friends after a tragedy.
4.1k words
3.69
9.2k
16

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/13/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All characters engaged in sexual activity in this work of fiction are over the age of 18 and the author would like to encourage all readers of this work to practise safe-sex by using a condom and limiting their sexual partners. Stay safe, stay healthy in mind, spirits and body and be happy.

There is no recap, this is part 2 of an ongoing story. To fully understand the story please read chapter 1. This chapter should be readable in and of itself, but you'll gain a better appreciation reading from the beginning as it is one work.

As with chapter 1 this story is a slow burn, it's not a quick wham bam story, nor will it go into gynaecologically obsessive detail for 40 pages or more describing an act of fellatio or cunnilingus.

It is also a fantasy, it's in the 'Loving Wives' category, so if that doesn't float your boat then why are you here?

* * *

Chapter 2 The Night of Passion

The next few months we all slipped into a routine and builders even started work on Harry's home, a few hold ups with insurance and not being able to easily trace his ex-wife led to all sorts of hold ups, then after the insurance started to pay out - crazy I know, Harry began to get his home rebuilt. Luckily the overall structure was sound.

A friend of mine who's an engineer came out and surveyed it as a favour and found that most of the damage to the buildings right side, didn't damage and of the main load bearing structure. Sure a good third of the building was rubble, but the rest had fared well. Ben, my friend even pointed to the glass and window frames being intact on the far side of Harry's home, both upstairs and downstairs. He even during those first few weeks managed to get Harry and I coverings first his home. We got thick plastic sheeting and tarpaulins and even a few heaters in to keep the place dry. That was Ben's main concern and like myself he didn't put much stall in insurers.

I invited him over one night for a meal to show my gratitude and he was able to. We chatted and got on well and he quite liked Harry.

Things continued on through the late winter and spring and into the early Summer. Harry had been informed around Easter that his house should be pretty much finished for around Memorial Day.

One evening after work I got home to find Harry had gone out and gotten more than a bit drunk. A police car was parked at the top of our drive. As our street is quite large, and to be honest I couldn't care less what the neighbours thought. I was more concerned with my wife, then Harry. I was worrying about an accident, a car crash, then maybe some crime and my wife may have been injured or worse. I tried to be as positive and calm as possible. As I unlocked the car and moved out of it and closed it again, I saw a young police officer her out of her car. She walked up to me. She was a good five foot or so tall. Quite short I thought for a police officer. She had a petite looking frame and I wondered how on Earth she'd tackle any criminal or anyone for that matter who needed subduing. As I walked to greet her, she smiled and spoke, 'Mr Clark?'

'Yes,' I answered, 'I'm Mr Clark, Peter Clark, how may I help you officer?' I asked. I looked at her badge: Hendricks.

The Officer smiled again. 'It's nothing to worry about. We were just in the area and I wanted to wait a bit with my passenger. I didn't feel like taking him to the "drunk tank".' She explained.

'Harry?' I asked.

She smiled, 'So you do know Mr Federico I take it?'

'Yes I do officer, is he inside?' I pointed at my home.

'Ah, no, he's in the back of my patrol car.' She gave an embarrassed, pursed lipped smile and nodded with her head over to the car. We can talk here, or in the car?'

I had noticed a few curtains twitching and old Mr Mason was looking out at us as he'd taken longer to go to his mail box. The officer noted him, 'It's ok sir, Mr Clark's helping out his friend. He had a bit of an accident and I brought him home, nothing to worry 'bout Sir.' She said in her lovely Southern drawl. She motioned with her head to the squad car. 'Well, unless he's passed out, I should be able to guide him to the house.' As she unlocked the car I could see Harry sat back, rubbing his left temple. I could smell the stale smell of beer. Harry's face had a ruddy complexion and to say he looked flushed was a big understatement. I smiled at Harry and he looked up at me, with those large, sad looking eyes.

'How are you, Harry?' I asked. I gave a sad smile and looked around the squad car interior. 'Shall we get you inside where it's nice and warm?' Even though it was now just before Easter, at quite warm, I wanted to make sure my guest - and friend was safe and secure.

'Oh god Pete, you're a good 'un, I'm so sorry...' he began to blub. Tears forming and I smiled it him.

'Hey, it's going to be OK... besides, she looks a cute cop anyway,' I joked, giving him a naughty wink. Harry snorted and coughed as he tried to laugh. 'That's better,' I joked with him.

I leant back out of the car. I looked at the officer. Noticing her golden blonde hair tied back. She smiled at me. 'If your friends able to stand I'll help you inside with him.' She offered and suggested. I leant in and helped Harry out. As I got him out, the officer grabbed him around the waist and I guided Harry by by holding him under his shoulders. We managed to steer him to the door and I got the key in the lock and we got inside. I managed to get Harry inside, and he said he wanted to use the bathroom. As he wandered through the hall and into the laundry room to our downstairs lavatory away from the main downstairs one he closed the door and I sat down at the kitchen bar I leant back on the high chair and just exhaled. I apologised again for the trouble and the officer just brushed it off.

'That's OK sir, just knowing Harry's good is reward enough.'

'Do you know him?' I asked.

'Kinda, yeah.' She answered. 'I...'

I smiled at her, 'I suppose you have "patient-doctor" confidentiality I take it?'

She gave a cute little laugh. 'No, nothing like that,' she said, 'Harry has been involved with us a few times. Working at the docks of course he would, but he's good people.' She elaborated.

'Sounds intriguing,' I replied.

'Oh no, nothing illegal or anything, just a witness a time or two, or involved in some trouble.'

'May I ask what kind of trouble?'

As she was about to say something we both heard Harry begin to vomit.

I walked over to the laundry, 'You OK big guy?'

Harry called back a muffled, 'Yeah, I'll be fine once I'm dead,' he laughed.

The officer had heard it and laughed.

'Would you like a drink Officer?'

'Sure, and it's Abbie,'

'Thank you Abbie, coffee?'

'Please, milk, no sugar,'

'D'you like much milk?'

'Just a touch,' she said, pinching her thumb and forefinger together.

'Coming right up,'

As the coffee was brewing she sat down opposite me and crossed her legs, her big belt getting in the way a bit. As she got comfortable, she began to tell me about Harry.

'No, he's not been in any real trouble. He's stopped a few fights, called us out on a few occasions when there may have been gangs trying to steal stuff. One time I cautioned him a few years ago,'

'What for?'

'A young kid he worked with was being bullied and picked on by his workmates. Harry stuck up for the kid and got stuck in too.' Quite the bruiser. He got his nose broken and everything.'

I knew Harry wasn't the best looking guy and not the most shall we say sophisticated looking of men and this made sense.

'You see, Harry isn't much of a fighter, and this bloke really laid into him. It was my second week on the job and my first fight. I had to taser the asshole who was pounding on Harry. Anyway, the company fired him and gave Harry his job.'

'That's good of them.'

'Yeah, well crimes been down too, so Harry's been a big boon to us.'

'What about the kid who was being beaten up?'

She blushed. 'Oh, Harry got him a new job, he's quite popular too,'

'What's the joke?' I asked, noting her blushing and smile.

'What exactly do you know of Harry, how much do you know of his past?'

'Not much I guess, not much to tell I'd imagine, like most folk.'

'Mmm,' she smiled, 'most men ain't been porn stars though.'

'You're shitting me!?' I said, truly shocked.

'Nope, gods honest truth.' Abbie said.

We chatted a bit more and Harry came out and excused himself to go upstairs.

After seeing he was all right, Abbie excused herself, 'Well I got work to do,' she smiled as I showed her to the door. 'Oh and by the way, thanks.'

'Thanks for what?' I said, 'the coffee?'

She smiled again, showing off her flawless teeth and smile.

'No, for calling me cute.'

Now it was my turn to blush. '...I, I was trying...' I couldn't get the words out, and I realised if I said I'd been joking to Harry, that'd sound so heartless.

'It's okay,' she smiled. She handed me her car, I was about to pocket it. She wrote on the back her number. She smiled and left. I stood in the doorway and watched her get in her car and drive away.Wow, I thought.

* * *

Turning to go back into the house, I went upstairs to check on Harry, but he was passed out on his bed. I made sure he was lying on his side, I didn't want him to get sick and choke on his vomit. What a thought, I thought. I watched him for a few moments, then set off downstairs.

I put on a few vegetables for dinner and got out some pasta, got some sauce made up and made a vegetable pasta casserole for us. Enough for a few days. I ladled some into a lovely smaller dish and grated some cheese onto it and popped it into the oven setting it down for a slow cook till Sarah got in. I told her what had happened and said I'd call the officer to see if she had anything to add. I offered to do it, and Sarah was glad I'd be ringing the police and not her.

I called Officer Abbie's cell phone, and not her office. I caught her speaking breathlessly. I offered to call back, and she just said it was okay as she was getting changed from her shift. As we chatted I noted her playful, flirty manner. She was walking out of the station and got into her car. A bit of fumbling followed and then she placed me onto her Bluetooth in her car. As she was driving home she stopped off at a drive-thru for a bite to eat.

'That stuffs terrible for you,' I chided her.

'Well, it's late and I had a big shift today. Besides, I'll go the gym tomorrow and burn it off.' She said. I asked her why she's not got anyone leaving her something ready. 'Ah, my fiancée left me for someone a couple of years back and I've been trying to advance my career since then. Had a few dates, nothing worked out.' I nodded as we spoke, feeling sorry for her, for anyone in that position.

I blew a kiss to Sarah as she walked past me and up to bed.

I turned my attention back to Abbie. 'So, hows the career going?'

'Not too bad. I only joined a few years ago, out of the army.'

'Wow, the army, I'm impressed.' I said truthfully.

'Nothing too special. Just a grunt. I did get a good break though. Some stealing was going on and I got a result after finding out who it was. I got promoted and put into military police, stayed there a few years till I mustered out. Took some shrapnel in Afghanistan, so no more bikinis.' She said wistfully.

I noted the sadness in her voice. 'I'm sorry to hear that.'

'Thanks. It's ok though, I like the work, and got this job quickly. Just earning my dues now.' She said with that bouncy quality to her voice.

I smiled at her voice as we chatted and continued to talk.

'Well, most importantly, instead of banging on about myself, tell me about you,'

I did give her a quick run down of myself and my life and Sarah and she seemed to be very impressed with me. 'I'm glad you've got someone special. You seem a great guy,' she said to me.

I thanked her and in between her munching on some fries she was checking a few things on her laptop about Harry.

'I just got an email, no ones gonna do anything about Harry. I noted it as a simple caution - have to I'm afraid,' she added. I nodded. I was sad about that, but someone getting drunk and needing a patrol car ride home will get something noted somewhere I felt.

I knew Harry well enough, but was a bit concerned about this incident. He liked a drink, but not to excess.

'Has he woken up yet?' Abbie asked.

'No, he's out like a light, I've checked on him a few times, he's good.' I assured her.

'Thanks,' she said.

'Any idea why he got like that?' I asked.

'I think so. It seems his ex-wife was found a day or two ago. She'd committed suicide and was found by a neighbour.'

'Oh shit,' was all I could say.

'Apparently she's been a concern for her neighbours for a while, depression, a few cautions for drugs offences - nothing big time, just prescription stuff mostly. As I said, she was depressed and it's quite common, a few arrests for drunkenness and one of shoplifting. Although that got quashed...' she trailed off as she was clearly looking at something. 'That was Harry's doing. He spoke up and was a character reference. They chalked it up to exhaustion, confusion, that kind of thing.'

'Any word on how she died?'

'Yeah,' she paused. 'Gun shot wound to the head, small calibre, she looks to have used a pillow to muffle the discharge. Bullet hit her at an angle, the pillow must have made it more difficult,' she said, the difficulty of saying this was evident in her voice, she swallowed, 'mustn't have been instantaneous, she was too badly hurt to get help or try again. The pillow looks to have stopped fatal jarring of the brain which would have killed her straight away. Not nice,'

'How'd you know all this?' I asked.

'Like I said, military police, I was good at my job.' She said taking a sip of soda.

'What happens now?'

'Well, I'll call the San Diego police tomorrow where she lived and talk about it with them. Give them my two cents worth, if they need to hear it, and it'd be nice for some detective tidying the case up, to know some folks will miss her.'

I nodded, feeling very suddenly, very depressed. 'Hell of a job you have.'

'I know, but like taking out the trash, someone's got to do it,' she said with that cheery tone.

'I suppose Harry found out and got upset and drunk.' She thought aloud.

'Looks like it,' I nodded in agreement.

'Anyway, it's late, I'm tired and I'll go home now. I'll call you tomorrow, and I want to come round to see Harry anyway, maybe I can liaise with the San Diego police.'

'Okay, that'd be great... well, not great, but you know,'

Laughing she said, 'I know what you mean Peter, anyway goodnight.'

'Goodnight Officer,' I said as Sarah poked her head around the corner as I finished up.

'That was a bit of a while,' she said.

'Only about ten minutes?' I offered.

'More like half an hour,' Sarah said noting her watch.

I smiled at her, 'It's a bit more complicated, but the police won't press charges. That's the main thing.'

'That took half an hour?' Sarah asked.

'Well the reason Harry's upset is his ex-wife committed suicide. I suppose he got upset and drunk,'

Sarah's face fell. I wrapped my arms around her, and kissed her cheek.

'I'll tell you all about it tomorrow, I promise.' I said as she led the way to bed.

* * *

The next morning I got up around 6:30 am as normal and Sarah was just getting up too. As she stretched out I said I'd start breakfast and check on Harry. Sarah looked miffed, 'What?' I asked.

'I'm horny,' she purred.

'Will it wait?' I asked playfully, and a bit concerned - I didn't want to miss out.

'Sure, go check on Harry,' she answered. Giving me a reassuring smile.

As I was about to check on Harry, he came out of his room, in a nice shirt, and pair of slacks. He smiled at me. 'Peter, I'm so sorry about last night...'

'Hey, it's okay, I just wanted to make sure you're okay. Are you?'

He grimaced, 'Bit of a headache, but I'm good,' he said.

'I'm sorry to hear about your wife,' I offered.

'Thanks,' Harry said.

As we walked down the stairs, I asked what his plans were.

'Well I've got a week of compassionate leave now. Besides works quiet, after the Easter rush, so it's okay to have some time.' He said, with that hang dog expression he usually had, a kind of world weary fatigue combined with a 'what-can-you-do' resignation.

'Well I'm off today anyhow, I'm going to do some work from home, but they've got to do some reorganising anyhow, and with working over at Easter I can get some time back.

Harry nodded, 'So no overtime?'

'No, not usually. Sarah's the one who gets that,' I nodded.

'Coffee?' Harry asked.

'Please, I could do with some.'

'Me too,' said Harry, 'not got that drunk for years.' He smiled. At least he was smiling I thought.

'Well, at least the police advise they won't press charges, just a little misdemeanour, that kind of thing, the officer told me last night.'

Harry sat down at the kitchen counter on a high stool. 'That's something at least.'

'I know,' I added. I took the coffee from Harry, taking a sip. Nice. 'That's good coffee, Harry.' I said taking a nice sip.

'Always was good at coffee my wife said.' He mused. 'What do you know about it, Peter, my wife's death, I mean?'

'The police said it was suicide,' I offered, holding back.

'Yeah, it seems she may have shot herself,' he elaborated.

'I don't know much more than that.' I added, leaving out the grisly details. Wondering how I'd explain that to him, and feeling guilty I maybe knew more than him, and guilty for feeling this way,Here I sit, I'm worried he's lost his wife and I don't want to tell him I probably know more than he does. Sheesh, talk about self centred. I looked up at him. 'The police said once they've got more they'll call us.'

'Okay' was all he said, then took a big mouthful of his delicious coffee.

Sarah got ready as I was talking to Harry, and came downstairs. 'I'm going to head in a bit early, maybe get a few extra brownie points for me,' she said smiling that big smile of hers. I could see a brief flash of jealousy in her eyes. Knowing that our moment for intimacy had passed.

'I'll see you a little later,' I said.

Sarah looked up, 'Oh?' as she picked up her keys.

'I thought I'd pop over - see how you are.'

'Oh, that'll be fine,' she added, looking a little flustered, 'keys!' She exclaimed, holding up her car keys.

I watched as she went through the door and backed her car out of the drive.

'Is your car at work, Harry?'

'Yeah,' I'll get a taxi later.'

'It's okay, I'll take you to get it. Sarah's busy and I am in the mood for a big greasy burger later. How about you?' I asked.

'Sounds great to me,'

I went over my plans with Harry. It was only an hour to his work and back in midday traffic I reasoned, and thought I'd go to take him for a lunch somewhere. My treat.

'I just have a few hours of work to do, say a couple of hours to midday then we'll go.' I planned out loud. There were a few places along the way and I thought it'd give Harry some time to relax.

'I'll go get my hair trimmed,' he said, 'while I wait.'

He rubbed his chin too, I think I'll ditch this beard too.' He smiled, scratching it with his hand. I noted it, he'd grown a beard from his moustache and stubble a while back and I thought to myself what does he look like clean shaven. He was pale, but lately had been getting more of a tan and even went swimming a couple of times a months - more lately. In fact he'd gone a few days ago, coming home rather ruddy faced and told me he'd been to the actual gym.

'If cholesterol don't kill me, that damn place sure will.' He joked as we went downstairs to the kitchen. Harry got out a bowl and poured some oats into it, 'Would you like some porridge?' he enquired, as I sat down with a small glass of juice.

12