Broken Down

Story Info
Kory has a laundry list of problems. Is Grace the solution.
21.2k words
4.65
9.1k
29
9
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

~~ Greenough, Montana, January 2068 ~~

Early morning, she was watching the sun rising and sipping her tea. It was soothing, quiet, and peaceful, she had no guests which meant her mornings were her own. It was the cold season, so half the house was shut up to begin with. They'd return in the spring with their children and their loud demanding querulous tones. Being backed up to the mountains like this with her resort meant plenty of tourists in the summer and plenty of peace in the winter.

She rose, finishing off her cup and cleaning up the kitchen, then pulled on her heavy jacket, heading out the back to bring some of the corded wood closer to the main house for when the snow hit. Winter was coming.

It wasn't two days before it happened. The sky opened up and snow started falling. For hours and hours, it fell. It was nearly a day and a half before it stopped, the total accumulation over three feet. With the wind blowing it, in several places, accumulated to seven or eight. The plows began running, trying to keep Interstate 90 clear. It didn't work particularly well.

Kory didn't see the flashing lights of the plows even in the snowfall and he swerved onto the exit ramp to avoid them, pulling off of 90 onto State Route 200. He sighed and thought about turning back onto the interstate before his expression hardened. "Fuck it. Let's see where this goes," he grumbled to himself and started down the road.

He made it to a Sinclair's where he gassed up and then a diner named Cully's. Deciding to stop in and get a warm bite to eat, he soaked in the heat as he ate, thoroughly enjoying the mediocre food. It wasn't until the meal was over and paid for and he walked out to his car that he discovered the problem. Somehow, while he was eating, a bear had found its way into his car and discovered the packet of jerky he had left on the passenger seat. And then eaten into the rest of the car looking for more. The driver, passenger, and backseat were in shreds, a result of the bear's hunger.

He looked up at the sky, snow still falling, and shouted, "GOD DAMN IT!!! You got any more?! Keep kicking a guy while he's down?! FUCK!" his head fell and he stood there, breathing in the cold.

"Well son, I could kick you, but I doubt that'd do much good," came a grumpy old man's voice from behind.

Kory turned, running his hand through his hair. "I'm... I'm sorry. That was....," he paused, then sighed. "You're not really catching me at my best..."

"Everybody has days," the old man shrugged, then clapped him on the shoulder, "Now, I can't fix your car, Beefer did a right number on it, but I can give you a ride to Young's place. It's the closest place that'll have heat and a bed for miles."

Kory looked at him helplessly. "Do you think they'll have a bed? What, with the weather like it is?" he asked.

"Son, Young's always got a bed at a time like this." He hooked his arm around Kory's shoulders and walked him to a beaten-up old truck with heavy snow tires and chains. "It's the Royal Resort BnB. Typically closed for the winter, but I knew her Pa. She'll put you up."

He nodded, looking at his car again. "How much room have you got?" he asked quietly.

"I'll pull my truck over, plenty of room in the back, we'll get you loaded up and head her way."

He nodded and slowly walked around to the back of the car and unlocked the trunk. Kory sighed and started pulling out a couple of suitcases and a large duffel bag. As the old man pulled up in his truck, he threw both the suitcases and the duffel in the back, then sighed and went back to the trunk and carefully pulled out a small cardboard box which he brought into the cab with him after closing the trunk. Buckling in, he pulled the box to him and cradled it gently, as if it were the most precious thing in the world.

"Alright son, let's get you someplace warm," he backed the truck up and eased out on the road, instead of turning left, he turned right and then pushed a button on his phone.

A few seconds later the sound of ringing, then a dulcet soft tone, "Royal Resort, this is Young."

"Miss Young, it's Frank. I've got a young man here, had a tangle with Beefer over at Cully's," Frank said calmly.

"I'm going to assume he's alright since you're calling me. How can I serve?" Grace responded, already headed up the stairs.

"He needs a room and a bed, and maybe some of your famous biscuits and gravy...," Frank responded, winking at Kory.

"I'll have it made up by the time you get here. Drive safe, Frank." The phone hung up, and Frank grinned at Kory. The drive was mostly quiet, Frank hummed along to the radio and it wasn't long before they were pulling into a circular drive in front of a massive log cabin.

"Welcome to Young's Place as the locals call it or the Royal Resort," Frank said, climbing down out of the truck. A young woman stepped out onto the porch, an oversized sweater hanging to her knees, a hastily thrown-on jacket, and heavy boots. "Grace, you get more beautiful every time I see you," Frank said, giving her a winning smile.

"Coffee's on the stove, your biscuits and gravy are in the fridge," Grace responded, accepting a kiss from Frank as he passed her. She turned soft blue eyes on Kory, "Welcome to Royal Resort."

He ran one hand through his hair, the other still holding the cardboard box. "Thank you, Miss. Don't mean to trouble you. I didn't really figure on having to tangle with a bear at a gas station and diner...," he murmured, almost sheepishly.

"Beefer is a bit of a pain, he gets tranqed, taken in the back forty, but still winds up at that Diner." She stepped down the stairs and walked to the back of the truck and pulled out one of the suitcases, and the duffle. "I think it's because he used to be a circus bear. I put you on the second floor not far from my room, it's just us so... no sense in spreading out all over."

He ducked his head, murmuring, "That's mighty kind of you, ma'am. I'll try not to be underfoot long. Just need to figure out what I'm going to do about a car... I didn't know they ate... car." he added as he pulled out the other suitcase.

"You'll be here as long as you'll need," she said, giving him a soft smile, then turned and headed in, "Frank, you better not be in my chocolate mousse. It's not finished." She led Kory into the house and to the bedroom, it was clean, and instead of having that sterile hotel feel, it was homey, there was a heavy hand-made quilt over the bed, and the lamp had a low glow bulb. "There is a lantern on the far side and a torch in the side table for when the power goes out." She gave him a smile, "Please, make yourself comfortable, then when you're ready, join us in the kitchen."

He nodded as she left and he stared around the room helplessly. He moved the suitcases and duffel in and off to the side, then sat down on the bed and opened up the cardboard box, looking down at the small face in pigtails that stared back up at him. "What the hell am I going to do now, Jaime?" he asked softly. He stared for a long time before closing the box with a sigh and setting it on the sitting room chair that was next to one of the end tables and wandering out of the room and back downstairs.

Grace was sitting facing Frank, a chessboard between them, "Have a seat," she murmured, giving him a smile. "Do you prefer coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?"

"This late in the day, probably hot chocolate, ma'am. Coffee's for waking up and I could never get the hang of tea," he confessed softly. "Thank you. This is more than anyone could hope for."

"Call me Grace," she responded, standing smoothly and going to the stove, starting milk to heat up and getting down the ingredients to make hot chocolate, "Any food preferences, allergies I should be aware of?"

He shook his head. "No, ma'... Grace. I've never been very picky. But...," he lowered his voice, embarrassed, "Beggin' your pardon. What does it cost to stay here? I... uh... I need to plan..."

Grace looked at him over one shoulder, "During the 'On' season? It's twenty-five hundred a night." She shrugged, "Off-season, I'm not going to charge you. However, since I get the feeling you'll get upset if I let you stay for free... how good are you with tools?"

He smiled bashfully, "Well... in another world, I was a handyman. I suppose I'm trying to be again just... somewhere... not there," he murmured.

She nodded, then focused on her hands again, slowly stirring the heated milk into the cocoa mix, "Marshmallows or not?" She asked him softly before saying, "Frank, leave my queen alone." Frank sat back with a sheepish smile on his face from where he had been sneakily trying to arrange the chessboard so he could win.

"No thank you. I've never been a fan of them. Occasionally whipped cream, but never marshmallows," he said softly.

She nodded, then turned to the fridge, pulling out a small can of Reddi-whip. Then she placed the cup and the can in front of him, "Careful, it's hot," she gave him a smile, then moved a chess piece, "Checkmate Frank."

"You weren't even paying attention, Gracie. How do you do that?!" he scoffed in amazement.

"You can thank my Dad," Grace responded, kissing Frank's cheek, "Now scoot, because I know your wife is waiting for you. We'll be fine. I'll call you if I need you."

Frank sighed, and rose, "Fine, but we'll see you on Thursday for cards and dinner." He turned to Kory, "You're welcome to come too, Son."

"I...," he looked back and forth between Frank and Grace, at a loss for words. Finally, he shrugged and managed a small smile.

Frank nodded, then headed out, leaving the two alone in the kitchen. Grace turned to the stove and started cleaning up the mess she had made, "Do you play?" She asked curiously, gesturing to the board.

He shrugged, "A long, long time ago, my Dad tried to teach me. I was never any good... and I'm not even sure I could tell you how the pieces move anymore."

"No worries," she smiled at him, putting the chessboard away, "I have a closet full of different board games. I'm afraid there isn't a bunch of excitement in this neck of the woods. We've got a dollar theater, a general store and that's pretty much it. Grocery runs are typically once a month, mostly because it's an all-day trip. You're welcome to come with me when I go."

"I'd like to help however I can. I've got a little money I can help with, and I can work around here if you need things done...," he trailed off.

She turned to face him, tilting her head, "Take a deep breath," she waited until he had done so, then breathed out with him, "Better? Don't stress it so much. You're fine, it's fine. Yes, there are a few things that could use attention, I can't do everything alone. You can stay here for free and I'll pay you a wage." She looked at him seriously, "Just relax, take a day or so to get your feet under you. Breathe."

He looked at her dumbfounded, his hard exterior belied by a swirling confusion and a much deeper hurt than she had noticed before in his eyes. "Why would you do that?" he asked in astonishment.

"In life, there are always two paths, one is the path of empathy and care, the effort of being a 'good man' the other is the path of 'not my problem'. Which one would you rather be remembered for? In my case, I prefer to go the route of being good." She shrugged, giving him a soft smile, "You're safe here." She tilted her head, "Now, this will sound forward but, do you need a hug?"

"I...," he trailed off looking down at his hands. "I'm not sure I deserve one... Especially not from... someone like you." His voice was one of utter defeat.

"Oh, Kory," she murmured and stepped around the table to fold him in her arms. She tucked his face into her neck and rocked him from side to side. "Life isn't about getting what you deserve." She held him, her body was soft and warm and she smelled faintly of gardenias. Her hand was firm on his back as she rubbed it offering comfort.

The simple human kindness threatened to overwhelm him and he grit his teeth as she held him, trying not to break down. In return, he reached up and gently held on to her. He did not wish her to think him ungrateful. But she didn't know either. She couldn't possibly know how undeserving he was of any kindness or redemption from anyone ever again. Even staying here was far more than one such as he deserved.

She held him for several more minutes, then gently released him, looking into his eyes before giving him a soft sad smile, "Why don't I give you a tour of the place, then let you get settled?"

He looked at her hesitantly, then nodded. "All right," he murmured.

She nodded, then led him around the house, showing him the laundry room, then the main living room and sitting room, then the game room that hosted not only a massive glass-fronted cabinet of board games, but also several arcades, two computers, and a slew of other fun things, including a section behind one wall that had a pool table. She led him upstairs, "The bathroom with the shower is at the end of the hall. If you'd prefer me to do your laundry, just put your clothes in the hamper in the cabinet. If you'd rather do your own, you already know where the laundry room is." She turned to him when they were back in front of his room, "Towels are kept in the cabinet over the hamper. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything."

He stopped, turned toward her, and murmured, "Grace? Thank you. I...," he trailed off, not knowing what to say or how to communicate what he was thinking and feeling. Finally, he swallowed and simply repeated, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," she responded softly, patting his arm and then turning to head back downstairs. "Dinner is at six."

"Dinner at six," he murmured in response. "Is... there anything you need help with? I'm no chef, but... I can follow instructions OK."

"If you'd like to come to keep me company, that'd be just fine, Kory." She gave him another smile and turned, heading down the stairs, not wanting to pry even though part of her wanted to wrap him up in her blankets and hide him from the world until the sadness left his eyes.

He watched her go, his face finally wavering, and quickly went inside the room. The door had barely closed before the bitter tears were back, streaming down his face. His hands balled into fists and the muscles in his body tightened as he struggled to get back under control. He hated how his emotions betrayed him, took his control away, and left him bare. It hurt and he feared that people would see just how horrible he was. He gulped for air, squeezing his eyes shut tightly in an attempt to staunch the flow of tears. It was nearly fifteen minutes before he finally, slowly relaxed, unclenching his fists. He went into the bathroom and turned on some warm water, washing his face with trembling hands. As he looked into the mirror, the man who stared back at him was a stranger, and one worthy of contempt.

She flicked on the radio, trying not to think of the man upstairs, and instead focused on getting out what she would need for a meal for two. She surveyed her groceries and decided shifting her shopping trip a week early and adding a week's worth of food to keep it balanced would work fine and wouldn't kill her self-imposed budget. She danced around the house, tidying up and making sure everything was in its place before curling up on the couch with her book, 'Unkinking the Kink: Safe and Sane BDSM.'

At about five fifteen, Kory came downstairs to, as she had said, keep her company while she cooked. Truth be told, in a place like this, he was not sure he would want to trust the cooking to his care either. He saw her sitting on the couch and smiled. "Hi. I... You said you might want some company?" he offered.

She lifted her gaze, giving him a soft smile, "Of course," she reached up and took her reading glasses off, setting them and the book down to one side, "I was thinking something simple, does chicken pot pie sound appealing?"

He nodded, "With the weather turning cold again, anything hot and thick sounds good. Stuff that sticks to your ribs. Never used to get this cold in Texas," he chuckled softly, remembering the warmth fondly.

"Yes, but I'll take the snow over a hundred and ten-degree weather." She rose to her feet, and led him to the kitchen, "All I really need to do is put them together and then put them in the oven to get hot. I tend to premake most of my meals. It's easier that way when I'm alone. In the spring my snowbirds will be back to help."

"Snowbirds...," he trailed off, his brow furrowing. "Retirees?"

"Yes, she does the cooking and he helps take care of the cabins, it works out just fine. Their kids come and help in the summer too, mostly with the garden work and flowers." She responded, mixing and ladling the ingredients into the pie shells. "I'm the only one that deals with the customers on a regular basis, mostly so if they're going to yell at someone it's at me and not one of the kids working here for the summer."

He looked at her in what appeared to be horror. "How can anyone yell at you? You're so...," he trailed off, a myriad of adjectives flooding his mind before he settled on "nice. What kind of people...?" he trailed off, jaw falling open in amazement.

"Some people feel they are entitled," she shrugged, "Others are much, much nicer." She smiled at him, then slid the two pies into the oven, "Now, while that's cooking for the next forty-five minutes, is there anything you would like to do or just curl up and read?"

"I... didn't really have any plans. And the ones I had got eaten by a bear, so maybe I'm not the safest person to plan things...," he trailed off, a lame attempt at humor.

She smiled at him softly, "The only thing that a man can do with plans is plan for them to change." She wiped her hands on the towel, "Now, you can only decide, do you wish to read a book, play a board game, sit and talk, or play one of the many electronic games in the gaming room?"

He looked at her for a moment, then gestured, "You were reading. I'm sure I can find a book to read as well." He smiled softly at her then went to the bookshelves and began looking at the titles. Finally selecting a book on the history of the American Mustang car, he sat down and smiled at her again before opening the book.

She curled back up on the couch with her book, the reading glasses on her nose as she sank back into the book. A red pen in one hand.

This set the tone for the next several weeks. He was given a few days to acclimate and then started helping around the resort. It was mostly stuff that as she had said, were simply things she couldn't do alone. Then came the storm, it was a massive snowstorm and he woke up to a bitterly cold room. Not freezing but there was definitely a loss of heat. "Kory? Are you awake? We've lost power and I've got to go get the generator started."

Kory rolled out of bed and started putting some heavier clothes on. "Do you have gas for it? I'll go fire it up. You stay inside, all right?" he smiled at her as he blinked his eyes rapidly, trying to wake himself up.

"Yes, there is gas for it. You should be able to just flip the switch and it cranks right up, I had it serviced last month. I'll get a fire started in the main room to at least help with the chill. The generator will let us cook and have a few lights, but doesn't do enough to fully heat the place." Grace responded softly, her brow furrowed. "Have your phone?"

He reached down to the end table and got his phone off of it, holding it out for her to see. "Yeah," he said, confused for a moment before it dawned on him. "Oh...," he murmured as he handed her the phone.

She smiled at him, then made sure he had her personal contact information before sending herself a text. "There, if anything happens you can call me directly. No power means no landline." She handed him the phone back with a soft smile, "We're going to be OK, not my first power outage."