Buried Treasure Ch. 81-85

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I guess we'll find out," he said. "Go back to sleep; his temperature is under control, and I'll stay with him."

"Are you sure?"

"He's in the tub, we've got the ice, and someone has to keep this pretty lady company." Doc waved me towards the door.

"Mom, you should get some sleep too. You still have to meet the Council in the morning," I warned.

"As if I care about them, they couldn't even decide on time," she said. I gave her a look, and she shrugged her shoulders. "I'll get the bed back in here and sleep," she promised.

I looked at my phone as I crawled back in bed, it was 3:42 in the morning. I was asleep shortly after my head hit the pillow.

The alarm went off what seemed like a minute later; it was 5:45 and time to relieve Doc. I took a quick shower, pulled on scrubs, then my coat as I walked across the frozen ground to the Clinic. I greeted Sawyer, who was on his phone in the waiting room, then went back to Frank's room. Mom was sleeping on one side, while Doc was watching Frank in the tub with the ice again. "Fever come back?"

"Typical pre-shift behavior, it goes in cycles," he said. He was at 101.8, not too bad. "How much sleep did Mom get?"

"An hour so far?" He looked over at Colletta, she was facing the wall under the covers. "Her wolf is forward, more so than I would expect for a human friend."

I looked at the chart, Frank was getting stronger and would wake up soon. "How human, we have yet to determine. We can't say anything to anyone else about this, Doc, not until we know more."

"Why?"

"Because if it gets out that we have found a way to change humans into shifters, someone will abuse it. Not every case will be like this one, where the human is innocent, and Mom is with him."

"I don't follow."

I looked towards the door. "Why is it such a big deal that Rori and I mated?"

"She's the Blessed One; she can have babies at a rate no other werewolf can. She can singlehandedly double the population of a Pack in a generation," he said.

"Right. What if it were to get out that giving a human a transfusion of werewolf blood could turn a human into a werewolf? What would a small Pack with an ambitious Alpha do if that was the case?"

"Make as many as he could," he said. "But... that's monstrous. We don't even know if it will work, much less how many would survive."

I just nodded. "To such a man, even if one in five survives, that's still worth it for the one. After all, the failures are only humans. You could double or triple your Pack in a year, going from worst to first as it might be." His jaw fell as he started to understand what I was saying. "That is why whatever happens here has to be kept quiet."

"I understand, Alpha," he said. We did a quick turnover, and he went to eat breakfast and grab a quick nap. He'd be back just before nine, so I could go to the Alpha meeting.

When he left, Sawyer came into the room and sat next to Mom's bed. "I heard what you said, and you're right," he said. "Someone will use this knowledge to raise an army."

"Then we can't let the knowledge out," I replied. "Hell, I don't even know if Frank is going to live. The changes are encouraging, but it's possible that the blood alone isn't enough to make the change."

"It's a blood curse," Sawyer said. "I'm shocked someone didn't try this."

"Look at him; it's not something I'd try. We don't even know if his brain survived the trauma yet." We continued to talk as we waited for Frank to show signs of waking up.

It was seven-thirty when Coral walked in the Clinic. Now that she was Alpha, her wolf was even more apparent when she entered the room. "Hey Sis," I said. "Packed and ready?"

"Packed for a week," she said. "We'll get the rest of it shipped out after we are ready for it."

"Any contact with the Pack yet," Sawyer asked.

"I've Skyped with the remaining leadership. They aren't eager to declare allegiance to me with their Beta's challenge coming soon, but I expected that. I did get the feeling they are happy that Millner is gone."

"You'll be great," I said as I got up and gave her a hug. "I'm going to miss you."

"Me too," she said. "How's Frank?"

"Getting better, he should wake up this morning." She told Sawyer to go eat breakfast, and sat with me for a while as I filled her in on what was going on. She agreed with keeping any change a secret, and we discussed strategy for the morning meeting.

The increase in pulse rate was the first sign something was changing. I got up and checked on Frank; his finger twitched, and his eyes started to move below his eyelids. "Coral, have one of the guards go wake up Doc. Tell him Frank is waking up."

She nodded and went out the door. I moved over to Mom's bed and gave her a shake. "Mom? Frank is waking up. I need you over there to keep him calm as he wakes. We can't have him panicking and tearing any of his stitches."

"He's waking?" Her eyes opened and she sat up, stretching and yawning as I went back to my patient. It was thirty minutes later before he reacted to her talking in his ear; he squeezed her hand, causing Mom to break down in tears. I turned the lights down as Frank fought to open his eyes. "Frank? Baby, open your eyes for me."

He finally did, a smile appearing on his face as he saw her, before the expression changed to pain. "Frank, it's Chase. Your throat was badly injured, and you are on a machine to help you breathe while your larynx heals. Squeeze Colletta's hand if you understand." I looked down and smiled as he squeezed it. "Good. Don't try and talk. I need to do some tests." Doc and I checked his motor functions first, asking him to wiggle his toes, squeeze his hands, move his legs and arms. Everything was equal, which meant that he didn't suffer permanent damage to those areas of the brain.

Keith came into the room and pulled Coral into his arms, kissing her as she watched. "You and Chase need to get going so he can eat before the meeting," he said. "Hope is fine with the nannies back at Arrowhead, and I just talked to them. I'll watch over Frank until the Alphas leave."

"Thanks, honey. Mom, you need to shower and change before the meeting. Chase, you need to eat. Doc can finish this."

Mom pulled me into a hug before we left. "Thank you, Chase."

"I love you, Mom. See you in fifteen minutes."