Burn Baby Burn Pt. 02

Story Info
Of all the times to win the Lottery, this is the worst!
7.6k words
4.71
26.1k
41
19

Part 2 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 07/24/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Dyspneiic
Dyspneiic
300 Followers

Thank you for your continued interest in my writing. You can see by now that each part of this story consists of 2 chapters. There are several more to follow. Still no heavy steamy sex scenes but they will be coming in the next part I promise. If you prefer shorter stories where the MC shoves his 13" piece in her during the first paragraph—this may not be your type of prose. I am treating it like a romance even though it falls under Novels/Novellas because of its length.

Thanks again for your patience and all of the amazing praise. I am humbled.

-D

Chapter Three

Sitting in his truck at the 'Stop' gave Chad the opportunity to wrap his head around this new development. He held the third winning ticket and stood to collect over $180,000,000 if it went accordingly. This called for bigger thinkers than him, so he quickly added his good friend Matt Skivers to the list of people he had to contact soon. But first he had to run back home and try to do some discrete online research. With a sigh he started the old diesel and headed back to the viper's den.

Naturally, Molly was beside herself pissed with his behavior. After ignoring her barrage of pointed and barbed queries, for 10 minutes, she stormed up to the master and left him in peace. Bobby went over to a friend's house to show off his new present that Chad presented to him after the birthday celebration. It was the tail from an enormous Diamondback rattler that the guys in his crew found and killed. The snake itself was 6 feet long and as big around as a grown man's leg. The rattle measured a hands span in length, comparable to a rodeo buckle. Bobby was blown away. His mom and sister were disgusted, and Billy was too absorbed with his new phone to care either way. Being early Friday, he assumed that Beth was at work and Billy was off hanging with his pals somewhere.

Chad wandered back to the Office and fired up the PC to begin his research. His wife failed to log off last time as her profile appeared on the home screen. Curious he scanned through her emails. He found nothing incriminating in any of her folders, even the trash bin that she never emptied. He was not surprised—she wasn't that stupid. Logging her off he began his research by going to the lottery commission web site and reviewing all the terms and conditions involved with claiming the prize. He had until the middle of August to make his claim, so he had some breathing room there.

Next, he looked up divorce laws and noted several local attorneys whose ads popped up during his research. Paul Bradley was the name he remembered from high school. He was valedictorian of their senior class. While they didn't hang in the same crowds, he remembered getting along with the guy.

It was pretty clear upfront that—being a no-fault state, he could expect to be cleaned out during the divorce. He would have to provide alimony, child support, health insurance and the mortgage payment at the very least. He felt his gut twisting and cramping. This just keeps getting better and better...

Before logging off he searched paternity and DNA testing and found a bunch of mail order options available to him. He quickly ordered 2 separate test kits and cleared his browsing history before logging back off and shutting the PC down. He needed to leave the house to make his calls so he figured he would head over to Oty's later and have another sit down with his friend.

Gunner shifted at his feet and looked up, alerting Chad that he had an audience to his quiet musings. He looked up to see Molly staring at him intently from the office doorway.

"Are we going to be able to have an adult conversation?" She asked bitterly.

Chad leaned back in the office chair and regarded her expression and body language. Despite it all, she still had it. At 37 she was still a strikingly beautiful woman with perfect proportions. She filled her soft cotton blouse and tight LuLu Lemon yoga pants, broadcasting an exotic sexuality. She left her top open enough to display the perfect amount of cleavage to be distracting.

As attractive as she appeared, he was aware of the danger. 'Beware still waters that run deep.' He thought. "Molly if you wanna talk, then talk. But if your just gonna stand there and keep slinging mud at me, making me out to be the bad guy—as always...then don't expect me to sit here and take it." He leaned forward and rested his elbows on the desk in front of him. "If you can try and keep a civil tongue in your head, I promise to try and do the same."

She stared at her hands looking deep in thought. Briefly he saw emotion twist her features like she was trying to fight off a sense of guilt or uneasy foreboding. Finally, she looked up at him and gave one of her signature exhalations. "We can't keep going on like this. You keep shutting us out. You're working so much that we are like strangers growing apart..."

"Stop!" He raised his hand and cut her off. "Not another word pinning this all on me. Goddammit woman!" He jabbed his finger through the air at her. "You are the one who wanted me to take this job! You were the one who said, 'the more over time the better.' And you are the one who never returns my calls or is even home when I get back." He slapped his hand onto the desk, harder than he intended, startling her and Gunner both. "You are correct though—we can't keep going like this." His tone was menacing and final.

She stared back at him pondering his words. 'He has changed.' She thought. He never interrupted her before. In fact, he would go out of his way to avoid confrontation most times. No, he acted like a cornered animal—dangerous and unpredictable. "I just want to try and get us back where we were so long ago." Tears sprung to her eyes. "What happened to the love we shared? The happiness? Are you going to just keep sleeping on the couch?"

He snorted with contempt, surprising her. "You tell me where it went Moll. It all seemed to go away while I was gone. You seemed fine when I was deployed for 6 months or longer. Now 14 days away and I return home to an empty house and a wife who won't even give me a hug in greeting, much less a kiss." He glared at her, daring her to defend herself.

"Tell me something...Honey," his voiced dripped with scorn. "Where does Frank sleep when he stays over here?"

The color drained from her face as she stared back at him in shock. "What?" She cried shrilly, losing all composure. "What the hell Chad! Frank again?" She stormed into the office and smacked both her hands down on the other side of the desk. He didn't flinch at her tantrum. "Why is it always about Frank with you? What are you so jealous of? How is he even a threat to you and your...fragile manhood?" Now on the attack once again she felt more in her element.

"You didn't answer my question..." he retorted.

"So what?" She shrieked. Gunner grumbled to his feet and left the office. "Yes! He stays here on occasion. And yes, we go to visit him as well. Why do you even care? He's lonely!" Tears threatened to fall from her once again as she glared at him. "He lost his wife for fucks sake!" She stabbed her thumb into her chest. "Me! I lost my only baby sister! Is that so hard for you to deal with you fucking asshole!"

Silence settled over them after her outburst and Chad looked at her with a neutral gaze. The name calling signaled the end of civility, so he slowly rose to his feet and stepped toward the doorway. She retreated uncertainly. "What? So that's it? You're just gonna run away again like a fucking pussy?"

She felt his rage boiling just beneath the surface as he passed her. Her angry façade crumbled as she found herself dreading his next action. He simply grabbed his coat and keys and headed for the front door. Gunner eagerly dropped off the couch and joined him. He paused at the door and turned slowly back towards her.

"You still didn't answer my question." He said quietly. "And that alone should answer yours." He pulled the door open and stepped out. "I have tolerated a lot from you...but I will NEVER share my bed with another man!"

She jumped as the door slammed closed.

***

Mathew Skiver CPA was an old friend who had prepared the Hartley family taxes for the last decade and a half. He also helped Chad navigate the puzzling regulations and fine print of his 401K and Union pension, helping him invest his money logically and profitably. He wasn't expecting the call from his friend but agreed to speak with him in depth and in person as soon as he could get to the office.

After disconnecting Chad dialed the first of the divorce attorneys he researched earlier. "Thank you for calling the Law Offices of Bradley & Bradley. How may we help you today?" A pleasant female voice answered.

"Uh. Hi. I'm Chad Hartley and I was wondering if I could arrange to talk with one of your divorce attorneys." He felt suddenly defeated and fought the urge to hang up.

"Lucky you Mr. Hartley." The female laughed pleasantly. "I am Jennifer Bradley, and I am one half of the dynamic duo that makes up our team. My husband Paul and I work together." If he didn't know otherwise, he would have guessed by her voice that she was far too young to be practicing Law.

"Wow! Two for the price of one, eh?"

Her giggle lightened his mood and he found himself smiling.

"Something like that." She replied. "Would you like to set up an appointment to come in and talk?"

"Uh. Yes ma'am. Most certainly, and the sooner the better."

"That bad huh?" She tsked sympathetically. "Well, we are normally closed on the weekends, but I don't think Paul and I have any plans...so how about tomorrow morning at 10? It will be at our home rather than the Office."

Damn. That meant no camping. Bobby would be disappointed. He wondered if Molly would throw that back in his face too. "Yeah. Sure. Text me your address and I'll be there. Do I have to bring anything?"

"Not for our first visit. If you have any paperwork handy you can bring it, but we will go through the pre separation packet and retainer fees when we meet up. You have a pleasant evening Mr. Hartley. We will see you at 10 am tomorrow." She disconnected the call and promptly sent him their contact information via text.

5 minutes later he pulled up to Matts office and climbed out of his truck. Gunner decided to invite himself into the lobby and was received well by the pleasant young receptionist. "Mr. Hartley, Mr. Skiver is expecting you. Please go on in." She gestured toward the door to the inner office. Matt stood quickly and greeted his old friend warmly. He came around his desk and knelt in front of Gunner to scratch his ears. "Color me surprised Chad." He began. "We just finished up your Tax Return, so I didn't expect to hear from you so soon."

"Well things have sort of come up and I really need your advice." He replied as the dog dropped heavily to the floor and panted. "And I need your complete discretion with what we are about to talk about."

His accountant didn't even blink before nodding his head. "Of course. But now you have me curious. What is going on?"

"I think I am about to pull the plug on my marriage, and I want to get my ducks in a row first. I'm meeting with an Attorney tomorrow."

Matt sat back down behind his desk and folded his hands solemnly. "I see." He replied softly. "So, I guess we need to go over all your finances then and look into division of assets..."

"I ain't dividing shit!" Chad interrupted. "She has seen fit to kick me aside for that rich brother-in-law of hers, who's sitting on a couple million bucks. She won't be hurting for cash and I ain't feeling very generous."

Matt stared back at him nervously. "I get how you feel my friend, but that will all be up to the courts to decide. Your Lawyer will explain all that to you." He spread his fingers. "There is really not much I can do about court ordered payments you see." He removed his glasses and considered his next words. "I can however help you protect some of your resources."

Chad nodded encouragingly.

"You can't get blood out of a turnip. Do you understand what I'm saying?" He glanced up suggestively.

Chad shook his head.

"Well, there are ways to tie up pensions and 401ks inside trusts and or limited liability corporations. They could be made so that they are protected from court ordered garnishment." He noted Chad's peaked interest. "And as far as wages go...well."

Chad turned his head slightly. "Well, what?"

"I'm just saying if you had no wages to speak of...."

"You mean quit my job?" He asked with a frown. Was he that attached to the oil fields? Not really.

"Oh, heavens no! That would reek of intent and certainly earn you a motion of contempt." He looked back knowingly. "No, you would have to be terminated with no eligibility for State Unemployment because they could garnish that even easier. You can get a better picture from your attorney."

"So... say I happen to come across a certain windfall..." He hesitated and Matt raised his eyebrows curiously. "Say an inheritance from a far off distant relative."

Matt nodded. "That's a tough one. The only way you could protect the assets would be if the probate ruling were delayed until after the divorce is finalized. But that is a stretch and unlikely, knowing how drawn out the dissolution process can be."

Chad frowned. Damn! He only had a month. "Hmmm" He replied.

They talked for another 15 minutes and parted ways with Matthew promising to go over all his finances and looking for avenues of protection for his assets. They shook hands and Chad headed for Oty's.

***

The Garage was closed, so he decided to park out front. He and Gunner could walk the short way to the Strickland residence. Before he could climb the steps and knock, Gunner beat him to it by standing on his hind legs and gazing expectantly through the decorative oval glass. "WOOF...WOOF!" His nubbin wagged excitedly.

Beulah Strickland opened her door wide and smiled widely down at the pup and then up at Chad. Her hands clasped to her heart. "Well, my my! Look who it is!" Beulah was probably the most beautiful African American woman Chad had ever seen. Her soft dark skin seemed polished, and her smooth face still bore the youthful charm that stole the hearts of every boy in their school. Her accent was part southern drawl and part Creole. She danced forward and embraced Chad on a warm hug reserved only for closest family.

Chad hugged her gently back but with no less affection. "Hi beautiful! I can't tell you how much I've missed your smile lately." Suddenly he felt choked up with emotion as he remembered similar greetings from his wife, long ago. She toyed with his new beard smiling.

Pausing to stoop over and ruffle Gunners' ears, she reached back and took his hand as she led him into her warm home. "Oty! Chad's here!"

Looking haggard as usual, Otis entered the living room from the den and grinned at his buddy. "Yeh back to make 'nother pass a ma woman are ya?" He chortled. He stopped and suffered a coughing fit that left him wheezing. He turned back towards the den waving his hand in a welcoming gesture. Recovering he pointed to the sofa and recliners. "Have a sit. Waz on yer mind?"

Releasing Beulah's hand, he went over to a recliner across from Otis and sat wearily. Beulah sat delicately on the couch and smiled brightly when Gunner decided to join her. He gazed at her adoringly as she scratched his head and ears. "You're such a sweet boy!" she crooned at him.

Chad sighed heavily and collected his thought. "Went by Matt's just now an filled him in." He wasn't surprised that Otis' wife looked up with understanding and sadness. They shared everything so he knew she was up to speed. "I also contacted a divorce attorney on the way over. Or Attorneys I guess." He smirked. "They are a husband-and-wife team and I'll be meeting with them tomorrow morning. You remember Paul Bradley?"

"So, we ain't camping?" Otis asked.

'Fraid not." He leaned forward intently. "But that isn't what I came to talk about." He paused as he searched for words.

Beulah rose smoothly to her feet and turned towards the kitchen. "I'll just go put on some coffee so you boys can talk."

"No!" Chad started to raise and then sank back into the recliner when she turned back with a puzzled expression. "You need to... I need you to hear this too." He stammered. His tone caused the husband and wife to share a concerned look. He stared at the floor for several seconds and then looked back up fixing each with a troubled gaze.

"Oty, ya remember what we were talking about last night? About that unclaimed Lottery ticket?" He hesitated again as Otis nodded his head. Beulah froze and stared intently at Chad.

"Yessir that sure be sumpin'..." Her eyes grew wider as her husband rambled while staring at the floor. He shook his head again and chuckled. "Ova two hunred mill..." His voice trailed off as he pondered it again.

Beulah gasped and clenched her hands tightly to her breast again as Chad rose suddenly and paced about the room nervously. "Yeah. Well, I won it." He declared angrily. "And now I'm screwed 8 ways to Sunday. Of all the rotten damn luck!" He muttered.

Beulah cried out, putting her hands to her face as her husband sat up suddenly and stared at his friend with wide eyes. Chad looked back at them uncertainly.

"Say wha boy?"

"OHMYGOD!"

They both yelled over each other as they stared back at him.

WOOF! Gunner added, sensing the sudden excitement.

Everyone started talking at once and the playful rottweiler decided he must be the reason, so he rose and danced about the room eager to play.

Beulah closed her eyes and raised both her hands as she took a deep breath. The room went quiet. She walked over to Chad and placed her tiny hands on his huge chest. "Cheri," she looked up deeply into his eyes. "Take a seat and start over." She begged. "This is too much for my frail heart so keep it simple, okay?"

He nodded as he allowed his heavy frame to be pushed back into the recliner. He held a hand out to pat his expectant dog and took a deep breath of his own. "I couldn't hardly believe it myself." He began. "I was eating breakfast over at the Truckstop early this morning and was mullin over everything ya know?"

She knelt before him and nodded encouragingly.

"Well, I reached some tough decisions and was just drinking my coffee, when I remembered that I had bought those tickets three weeks ago as I was headed out to the fields." He looked like he got caught stealing candy. "I fueled up and just took the $14 in change as lotto tickets." He started to stand again but hesitated as he glanced down at the wide-eyed woman kneeling before him. He looked at her helplessly and wrung his hands in his lap.

She stood slowly then moved forward to sit on his lap, barely covering one tree trunk leg. She wrapped her arms around his head and pulled him to her breast. "Cheri, are you telling us that you just won the third part of the MegaMillions jackpot?" She asked.

"Yes ma'am." He mumbled softly.

"And you're all put out like your dog got run over." She glanced down at Gunner guiltily and he stared back at her with his head tilted. 'Sorry' She mouthed to him. "Why baby? Why is this such a bad thing to you instead of the righteous miracle would be to everyone else?"

She felt his body tighten as he clenched his muscles.

"Because there ain't no way, no how, that I'm gonna share one fuc...er...single penny of it with that fuc...um...cheating whore of a wife." He stammered. She rose from his leg allowing him the freedom to rise and pace once more. "This is the worst timing ever!"

Otis chuckled and winked up at him. "Well then ah guess the answer is quite easy then." He stated with his voice deadpan, but his eyes full of mirth.

They both stared back at him, Chad expectantly and Beulah with a knowing frown. Neither offered him the opening he wanted so he charged forward anyways.

Dyspneiic
Dyspneiic
300 Followers