Burn Baby Burn Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"All you gotta do is just give that thar winnin ticket ta me!" He declared triumphantly, grinning at them both. "I'll jus take it off yer hands and carry that awful burden so you can ease yo worries. What are frens for anyhow?" He laughed gleefully at his own wit as he rubbed his hands together. "Yessir! I can think of a thing er two we could spend it on aroun heh. Missus an me could get dressed up real nice an go eat with them rich folks..." His laughter was infectious to Chad. Not so much his wife who stood glaring severely at his antics with her hands firmly pressed to her hips.

"Otis Reginald!" She barked quickly halting his merry little jig, if not his silly grin. "You are incorrigible you tactless, self-centered..." She waved he arm widely causing Gunner to rise and try to match his head to her wandering hand. "Chad is your best friend! How could you even speak that...?" Her angry tirade softened as she saw the thoughtful expression on the big man's face. He was rubbing his stubbled chin and looking off into space. She whirled angrily back at her husband while pointing her straight finger up at their guest. "See what you've done?" She barked at him.

Otis had the decency to look embarrassed and maybe even a little contrite as he glanced up at his friend nervously. They were both shocked to see a huge grin light up Chad's face. He suddenly reached over and gripped his friendly diminutive shoulder with his huge paw and roared delightedly. "Oty! Yer a genius!"

They both blinked at him confused and he grinned even bigger as he pulled Beulah into a loving hug, lifting her off her feet and swinging her about. "I love you both!" He declared and set the shocked woman down on unsteady feet. He started for the door and then turned back. "It's perfect!" He laughed. "I gotta call Matt." He hesitated again and grinned once more at his perplexed friends. "I need to set up a meeting." He declared. "All of us. This weekend." He reached for their door, and they heard him laugh merrily as he let himself and Gunner out. "This is gonna be great!"

Beulah and Otis stood shocked by his sudden change of attitude and glanced at each other bewildered.

"Bless his heart." She muttered shaking her head as she went off to the kitchen.

Chapter Four

As expected, Bobby didn't take it well when Chad told him the camping trip was off. He was hardly reassured when his dad promised to make it up to him very soon, even before he returned to work. Of course, Molly overheard the entire thing and promptly declared him a failure as a father for letting his youngest child down (after successfully sabotaging the entire weekend event herself). The irony was not lost on Chad. "Just think of it as another reason for you to spite me in the eyes of my own kids." He retorted as he headed for the back door, "C'mon Bobber. Let's go check out the tree fort."

The 'fort' was an impressive structure that Chad and Bobby had been building for the last couple years. It started as a simple deck surrounding the trunk of a sturdy old oak tree. A 2x4 ladder accessed the boxy enclosed 'guard house' which revealed a winding step that rose to another platform that split into two different paths. On one end a rope ladder led up to the round bucket structure called the 'crow's nest' and the other allowed access to the 'observation deck' via a second 2x4 ladder. There were 3 different observation decks, each a step higher than the previous—that circled the tree. At present the two engineers were drafting ideas for a 4th and final level to be dubbed the 'battle deck'.

Chad and his son sat cross legged facing each other in the guard house. He could sense his son's disappointment and struggled to find an alternative that he could honor for the boy. With a sigh he surrendered. "Tell you what." He offered. "What would you like to do this week? Just you and me?"

Bobby perked up immediately and rubbed his chin deep in thought. Chad could see that he was working up a way to suggest something that he already wanted. His poker face was a dead giveaway. "Well..." he started. Then burst with excitement. "I really wanna go to the new Skate Park they built over by the Fairgrounds." His eyes twinkled with energy. "It's really cool and they allow bikes, inline skates, and skateboards all at once. And they have a huge half pipe and this swurvy tunnel thing! Mike and John said it is sooo awesome!"

Then he looked down dejectedly, "Mom and Uncle Frank won't ever take me cause Beavis (Billy) and Butthead (Bethany) never want to go." He sighed. "They always get to go shopping and do stuff they want."

Chad held his fist out for a bump. "You got it partner. I think maybe we should stop by Sports Warehouse first though to make sure you have new pads and a helmet." He looked off to the distance thoughtfully. "I hear they have them new hover boards available too!"

That got a response. Bobby stood so fast he struck his head on an overhead branch. Ignoring the pain, he whooped with excitement. "Yeah! I gotta go call Mikey and tell him!" He burst and spun towards the ladder. Chad caught him with his long reach and held him back.

"Just a sec son. Sit back down for a minute. I want to ask you a few questions."

Bobby's face fell and he sat looking at his feet uncomfortably.

"Bobby, I have to ask you this cause you're the only one I trust to give me the truth." He leaned closer. "When Uncle Frank comes over, where does he stay the night?"

He watched his son shrink further into himself and pluck at his shoelaces nervously.

"Bobber this is strictly between you and me and this tree, kay?" He tried to reassure the boy. "Are they telling you to lie about things to keep me in the dark?"

Bobby glanced fearfully up at him and replied in a weak voice, "Yessir."

Chad nodded and shrugged like it was no big deal. "See? No problem. You can trust me to protect you when the time comes. Okay bud?"

He nodded but kept staring at his shoes. "He sleeps in yours and mom's room all the time. Sometimes they go out for dinner and leave us home. Sometimes they don't get back until morning. I hate being with them."

"Why is that?" Chad asked softly. He fought down the bitter acid that kept rising into his throat.

"Cause none of them even like me. It's like I'm always the 'problem' and I'm always in the way." He whined near tears.

Chad reached over and scooped him into a hug. "It's gonna be alright little buddy. Between you and me there are some changes about to happen. And I'm gonna be in your corner all the way. You got it?"

Bobby nodded with a sniff and wiped his nose on his sleeve.

Chad crawled to the ladder. "C'mon then. Change of plan." He barked with a grin. "I think Sports Warehouse is still open for a few more hours.

***

Saturday morning Chad was drinking his third cup of coffee and helping Bobby adjust the straps on his knee and elbow pads. His brand-new hover board as all charged and waiting for him to give it a test run outside. Grabbing his cup, he followed the boy as he charged out front and grabbed his new board. Gunner was laying in the front yard watching the occasional car go by. Making sure his helmet was secured, Chad took a seat on the porch and watched his youngest learn his balance and slowly begin skimming around the driveway. It didn't take him long to figure it out and soon he was scooting up and down the sidewalk whooping. "This is so cool!"

Chad heard the door open behind and felt the chill as his wife approached.

"Buying your son's affections, I see." She stated scornfully. She stood behind him with her arms crossed.

Chad just chuckled bitterly and shook his head. "Fuck you woman! If 'Uncle' Frank can buy the older two new cloths, cell phones and laptops—I sure as hell can buy my own son a new skateboard." He rose to his feet as Bobby came zipping up.

"Hey Mom! Check it out!" He cried as he executed a sharp 180 and kept rolling backwards.

"It's very cool sweetheart. Just be careful." She gave Chad a baleful look and then lifted her shoulders defiantly. "Since we aren't going camping anymore, I'm taking the kids over to their Uncle Frank's today." She declared. "He says he has a surprise for them."

Chad rolled his eyes and saw the defeated look on Bobby's face. "You mean for Billy and Bethany." He replied. "As if new cloths, computers, and phones weren't enough?"

He saw her face color in anger, but she bit off her response in front of their youngest. Billy and Bethany walked out the front door and stopped by their mother. Neither looked up from their electronic worlds.

"You know, that's just fine." He agreed suddenly, surprising Molly. "Why don't you take Billy and Beth and run on over to Uncle Frank." He added with a smirk. "And I'll take Bobby over the Mike and Johnny's so he can hang out and show off his new board. Then I'll take him out to Red Robin for lunch." He winked at his youngest whose face lit up like a Christmas tree.

He was pleased to see his wife at a loss for words for once. Instead of responding she just marched over the open garage and climbed into her car. The sibling robots followed her without even looking up. She rolled her window down and put on her sunglasses as she pulled out.

"You can join us for lunch if you want!" He called after her with a grin, as she drove off. Her hand reached out the driver's window and flipped him the bird.

***

The woman who opened the door for him stood about 5' 6" tall and gazed up at him with very sharp green eyes. Her hair was bright red and cut to shoulder length. She wore a soft cotton polo with rough cut daisy dukes revealing a gorgeous pair of legs and bare feet, with toenails painted bright chartreuse.

"Oh whoa!" She exclaimed as she looked up at him with wide eyes. Then she flashed a brilliant smile and held the door wide for him invitingly. "Hi, I'm Jennifer." She greeted, taking his huge paw in her delicate hand. "You must be Chad. Please come in. Paul is setting up at the dining table."

He stepped in and bent over to remove his shoes before she stopped him. "Oh, don't bother. Shoes are fine in our home." She led him into the dining area, and he tried not to stare at her perfect ass as it swayed provocatively. A taller dark-haired man turned to greet him and did his own double take as he took in Chad's 6' 6" 285 lb. frame. Recognition lit up his face as they shook hands. "Chad Hartley! Now I remember the name." He looked at his wife. "We went to high school together."

Paul had a broad-shouldered physique and an athletic build. His hair appeared naturally unkept and his blue eyes were framed by a set of slender spectacles. "Jen filled me in briefly on your situation so why don't you have a seat, and we can get started." He gestured to the guest-of-honor seat at the head of the table while he and his wife took the two seats across from each other. A steaming cup of black coffee was already placed before him on a coaster.

Jennifer gave him a knowing look and a smile. "You seemed like the strong coffee type over the phone."

He graciously took a sip and nodded. "Yes ma'am. Thank you." He caught the two sharing a knowing look and then they both said, "Jess" simultaneously which prompted a giggle from the wife.

Chad looked back and forth with raised eyebrows and Jennifer placed an affectionate hand on his.

"I'm sorry." She said sincerely. "That was rude. We were just agreeing that..." Her blush colored her face beautifully. "Well Jessica is my sister—twin actually. And she..." She paused again glancing askance at her husband who sipped his coffee patiently. "Let's just say she has a 'thing' for men of the 'big and burly' category." Which caused Paul to slurp just a bit too loudly as he fought to maintain his composure.

"I...see." Chad responded. Even though he didn't.

"Well let's get started." Paul suggested and held his pen over a new legal pad. "Why don't you start from the beginning and tell us everything."

It took roughly 30 minutes, and he was only halted once when he noticed the sudden interest flash between them. "What is it?" He asked.

Jennifer was leaning into the table frowning. "So, your soon-to-be ex-brother-in-law is none other than Frank D Discarsio jr.?" She asked. Her and her husband shared another look and she rose from her chair. "I'm definitely calling Jess." And she walked back into the kitchen where her cellphone was charging.

He glanced at Paul inquiringly.

"We followed the litigation case of your deceased sister-in-law." He explained. "Jessica, Jen's sister was very intrigued by the whole thing and took extensive notes. She serves as our information gatherer if you will. She is also a very handy Private Investigator." He grinned. "It suits her, as you will see."

Jennifer returned to the table. "She will be right here." She looked at Chad. "She is watching our son Spencer while we were holding this meeting. He can be...disruptive at times."

"How old?" Chad asked casually as he drank his coffee.

"A very precocious eight." She replied.

He continued his story to the end and saw that Paul had taken over half a dozen pages of notes. He put his pen down just as the rear sliding glass door opened and a red-headed whirlwind flew inside. "Hi-yah! Hi-yah! Hi-yah!" He cried, karate chopping the air around him.

Chad's mouth fell open as the 'twin' followed him inside. Jessica shared the same physical traits as her sister including the deep green eyes and Celtic red hair. Her height and measurements were an exact match. But the similarities ended there. Instead of her sister's shoulder length curls, Jessica's hair was cut severely short and buzzed skintight above her left ear while it hung in a spiked fashion over her right. She sported boyish bangs that draped over her right eye and her exposed left ear was pierced with several rings while a bar stud spanned the top of her lobe. A simple stud pierced her left nares with a similar piece decorating the center of her lower lip. She wore a tight black cotton tank top that exposed several inches of midriff (with belly piercing, of course) and did little to hide the amazing and colorful tattoos scattered about her arms and chest. A pair of light blue, form fitting athletic shorts covered her delightful hips, revealing even more colorful images splashed across her beautifully muscled legs.

His astonished reflection was interrupted by a youthful, excited voice. "Hey Mom Dad, watch this!" The fiery carrot-top cried then spun about before executing a highly energetic side kick, which sent his shoe flying from his foot. It sailed through the air tumbling as it arched across the dining table—to be snatched from the air by Chad's mitt sized hand.

The following silence was broken by clapping as Jessica bent over to high five her nephew. "Well done, Po!" She mocked him lightly. "A perfect example of why we practice our Karate..." She handed her high tops to the crestfallen child. ", with bare feet!" She grinned at him and gave him a gentle push which sent him running out of the room, catching his other shoe as Chad tossed it to him.

"So, what gives?" She asked. Her voice and tone matched her sister perfectly. She looked about the table and froze when her eyes met Chad's. Her eyes grew wide, and her mouth formed a silent O as she stared over at him. "Holy crap! Who invited Paul Bunyan to the party?" She quipped. Her face was flushed, and she dropped her cell phone as she reached over to set it on the kitchen counter.

Paul bit his lips firmly together and Jennifer's shoulders began to quake as she looked intently at her hands as they rested on the table. Chad just glanced curiously at both while Jessica's face darkened. "Don't even..." she growled as she picked up her phone and marched into the kitchen out of sight. A loud clatter followed her as she apparently collided with a cabinet. Paul sighed and pulled a $10 bill from his pocket, handing it across the table to his wife who repeated the gesture with a $5. Her giggles became a musical laugh that made Chad smile.

"What are you laughing about chuckle head?" Jessica barked. She reentered the room with a water bottle, just in time to see the money change hands. She paused in her drinking and glared at both of them. "Whatever!" She rolled her eyes and plopped herself down into the chair opposite their guest.

"Hi, I'm Jessica." She greeted as she boldly looked him over. Her appraising eyes made him feel like a cow at 4H. "This is my brother Paul and his idiot wife." She gestured. She sniffed as her sister lost it again at her outburst.

To her credit Jennifer rose to her feet and walked around behind her twin to give her a warm hug and kiss on the cheek. "I'm so sorry Jess!"

"No, you're not!" She retorted accepting the kiss. "Why are we here?"

And they filled her, in catching her up with the last hours discussions. She never took her eyes off Chad as they told her about his history and desired outcome. "So, you are married to the sister of Florence Ruston-Discarsio, who was murdered in the hospital during her labor." It was more a statement than question.

"For now." Chad muttered. Then he frowned. "What do you mean, murdered?"

"Well, it sure as hell wasn't an accident like the hospital goons claimed." She snorted. "I was all over that case and there were too many unanswered questions." She added. "Like whom was the Nurse that drew up the incorrect dosage and administered it—twice? And why did she disappear right after the incident before she could be investigated and indicted. And what was her relationship to the Discarsio crime family in Chicago where she travelled from, the day before the 'incident'?" She was counting off her fingers as she went along.

Chad was speechless as he absorbed everything she said. "Wait a minute. Crime family?"

"Crazy coincidence ain't it?" She smiled mirthlessly. "It was nearly exposed by a very bright young investigative journalist who was creating a documentary about it." She leaned forward and spun her bottle in her hands. "But his story died right after it started, and he disappeared." She took a drink. "I called the network and hounded them like a Pitbull, but all I ever got from them was that he no longer worked for them." She continued to scrutinize him. "And yes, your in-law Franky D is none other than the son of Franky D Sr—the head of the biggest crime syndicate in the windy city."

His head was reeling at the implications. "You are suggesting that Florence was intentionally given that drug, in those doses, to kill her. And that her husband Frank was involved in it?" He asked. "And this was never investigated by the authorities?" He felt ice run through his veins. 'Mobsters?' How had he never known?

"It's all conjecture at this point." She agreed. "But yeah. I know without a doubt that that is exactly what happened." Then her face softened. "I'm sorry to put all that out there like that. And I am very sorry for your loss."

Chad stood and paced the room uneasily. He stopped and looked at them. "Do you mind if I take a short walk and try to sort all this out?" He asked.

They rose and Jennifer took him by the arm. "Of course, Chad. You take all the time you need. I know this is a lot to take in all at once, when your plate is already full." She led him to the front door and opened it for him.

"You don't know the half of it." He muttered. Then turned back. "Thanks."

He returned 20 minutes and found them comparing notes and plotting a course of action.

"Okay." He started. "All other things aside, I want to go ahead and draw up the divorce papers and I want to go scorched earth." His tone was flat as he glanced at each of them. "I will get the paternity test done on Bobby and try to get a DNA sample from Frank. Regardless I want full custody of Bobby."