All Comments on 'But for the Grace of Sonya'

by rhetthebrat

Sort by:
  • 124 Comments
OdiouserOdiouseralmost 2 years ago

Way nice. Very few word glitches and covered the bases for both relationships. I can see why you have so many followers and I will add my name. Unclear why you chose LW to post this, which is a home for Cheating Wives while this was pretty much a love story. Do keep 'em coming.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

🥰👍

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The place for steak! Work Davannis into a story too! Thanks!

We2are1We2are1almost 2 years ago

A loving happy ending story, thank you. would you consider a healing story for Dale

once again WE thank you

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 2 years ago

This was a very nice romance. Well done.

PowersworderPowersworderalmost 2 years ago

That was a really nice story. I always enjoy it when the betrayed husband picks himself up, recovers, and meets someone better.

The only thing this was missing was Grace's new relationship imploding, then her sniffing around her ex-husband because "she made a mistake". It's incredible how often cheaters view the man they abandoned as a backup plan. Living well might be the best revenge, but seeing a monkey branching wife end up miserable and alone is so very satisfying.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989almost 2 years ago

Well written with meaning. It felt like a real-life moment with all the pimples and warts.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapualmost 2 years ago

That was a good one.

One can only hope the MC has it good this time.

I also hope guys like Dale can have a second chance too.

Thanks rhetthebrat.

FireFox59FireFox59almost 2 years ago

Good little story.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJalmost 2 years ago

Very nice. I hate when the men self punish. Hopefully Dale will get his head out. Maybe after he meets Sonya and sees that all women are not toxic.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great read.. I am a 37years recovering alcoholic. 32years married to my now wife. She healed me. I am now considered very wealthy by most peoples standards. She helped me do it . Real Cowboy.

Driven2ReadDriven2Readalmost 2 years ago

Great feel good story. We've all been, hearts broken by someone we love....5*

LenardSpencerLenardSpenceralmost 2 years ago

Simple and straightforward. Some might say that, due to "not a lot of action" that it borders on being boring. But the story is about the thinking and thought processes that take place after a break-up. How mending can take place and life can move on. I enjoyed it. Many thanks. Cheers.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Just one of the best little stories posted in a very long time. Loved it. It portrayed the progression of the MC’s mindset from angry/depressed to hopeful/happy very well.

.

5 *****

kirei8kirei8almost 2 years ago

A nice story but it ws missing one thing, especially in this category. Losing a wife to someone else is, unfortunately, a fact of life in our society. But not getting some manner of payback to a slimy bottom feeder and a bitch who fuck in your marital bed just is not acceptable. A price absolutely needs to be paid in some form. Living well, like your story, is good but there will always be that pebble under your mattress until you remove it.

SlithyToveSlithyTovealmost 2 years ago

Nice, though you could have just named Dale "Anonymous" to make it really fit this category.

Regguy69Regguy69almost 2 years ago

Wow, you just pretty much told my life story. I got divorced after 10 years and thought I’d just swear off of any serious relationship with a woman. I hung out with another divorced guy, but he was not as bitter as Dale. Eventually I met a skinny little lady that turned my life around. Several decades later and she’s still the love of my life. Good story! Well written, thanks for sharing.

Frank66Frank66almost 2 years ago

Not sure why, but I loved it all the way thru. Would have liked to have met Grace, and heard her side. Maybe a sequel?

laptopwriterlaptopwriteralmost 2 years ago

Well, that was a 5 star story! Nice writing, nice plot. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A related thought: When I was 20 or 21, my girlfriend of about 2 years decided to break up with me. I think that she tried to do it in as gentle and kind a way (as if that was possible! LOL) as she could. But I was still crushed at the time. I look back now and think, what were you thinking? HAHAHA

But I consciously took the attitude, that just because SHE wasn’t the right one, I couldn’t just decide that I wouldn’t trust a woman in a relationship in the future. Who knew? Maybe the next woman who I met would be my true soulmate.

Well, it wasn’t the next woman, there were a couple of them who I dated and we parted on good terms, but due to external forces (one had to chance schools for a grad program far, far, away.)

But not long afterwards, I did meet my soulmate. It may not have been love at first sight, but it certainly was ‘best friend’ within hours, and love followed quickly after that. Two children, four grandchildren, and 45 years of married bliss afterwards, confirmed my attitude.

My girlfriend who broke up with me, to be honest, has not had a great life as far as relationships go. She was married for about 15-16 years and then divorced. She probably messed around for many years, but finally, in her 50’s developed a relationship with a guy in his late 60’s, that broke up (they never married) a couple of years ago. Now she lives alone with her pets! She is financially okay.

I do sometimes wonder if she looks back on it now and wishes that she had stuck with me.

I am truthfully SO much better off today with my wife than I would have ever been with her!

Thank you for breaking up with me all of those years ago!

P.S.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Well Done! Sometimes one will find the right kind of mate the 2nd time around.

nixroxnixroxalmost 2 years ago

5 stars - I like this story.

It was a refreshing change from the usual doom and gloom in this category. When you finally manage to hit your 70s, you begin to appreciate the little things that make life a bit brighter. My marriage has not been what I expected or even imagined, with the horrible examples that surrounded me as a youth. We have somehow 'settled' into a stubborn relationship for more than a half century and choose to live the last bit of our lives as a couple, because it is more financially advantageous than living alone. Sometimes, I still yearn for the single lifestyle - However having children and grandchildren has been the best life experience for me and I enjoy every minute I spend with them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I felt bad for Dale... he really need to see someone.. carrying aroumd all that anger and bitterness isn't healthy. he can't allow his whore ex wife to turn him into a sad bitter, lonely old man. He didn't do anything wrong to cause her to leave... why is he punishing himself? she wanted to leave. He should be thanking the heavens above they didn't have children and he didn't waste another minute married to her.. imagine if she pulled this shit if they'd been married for 20 yrs and have kids.. neither whore is worth the tears or bitterness.. total indifference is how it should be.. don't waste your time thinking, crying, whining about someone who I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire... I really wished Dale got out of his funk.. looked at his whore wife leaving him for someone else as a blessing.. I never understood people crying whining and getting drunk over a fucking cheater.. I don't even like the turning to a bottle to numb the pain. Mourn for a few days and wake the fuck up. Realize the slut isn't worth it.. thank God I didn't waste another minute on them.. thank God I am now free to find someone that does love me, appreciates me and want to spend their life with me.. why cry over a tramp? ... I don't think he was being a true friend by not telling him not all women are like his Charlene.. some women are capable of keeping their legs close, honoring their vows and would make a better wife/mother.... he's allowing Charlene to win.. she enjoyed telling him she's been cheating and is leaving because she didn't love him, she didn't respect him and she love crushing his spirit...right now he just sounds like a sad bitter old man. He's not the only man on the planet whose wife cheated on and left. He seem to think he is and he can't get past it.. he can do..

NewOldGuy77NewOldGuy77almost 2 years ago

5 stars, hands down. Beautifully written, likable characters, amazing details all the way down to the wobbly table, just two complaints: 1.) grilled sea bass can be pretty darned delicious, and 2.) the story was too short! These two very relatable characters have a nice, textured relationship. I want to read more about them, will they get married, have kids, etc? Will his ex come back and try to win him back? Please give us a chapter 2!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I am with Dale, women should be rented not owned. They are not worth the risk.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Odiouser. He posted it in LW because no one, including what ever entity moderates this site, gives a rip about what gets posted here. The operators of LW are obviously lawyers and politicians. The requirements for posting to LW were written so ambiguously as to allow anyone and everyone to post anything at anytime. I hardly see the need for categories anymore. That said, this story seems to carry the LW load much more readily than many of the recent posts have. I don't read in the LW category because I am looking for fetish, bdsm, gtlb, incest or interracial content, there are other categories for all of that. But that is exactly what we get from LW now. This makes authors like rtb more appreciated.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A very nice story, very well told. Easy five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A nice romance. Love it that the guy got a second chance at love.

Hooked1957Hooked1957almost 2 years ago

Thank you for a great comeback story. 5 stars.

Hooked

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

5, 5, 5, 5, 5 !!!!! Now, THAT'S a romance! Even though it posted in LW, it's the real deal, touching, sweet. And I hate to say this, but it's sure a lot more convincing than "Two Halves Of A Whole?" was. Makes me think the latter was an uncharacteristic bobbling of the ball. I mean, I gave it a 4, but more for the writing quality than plot coherence. Too many unanswered questions. Sonya beats Gwyn any day of the week. Too bad Pete didn't meet someone like her in NY before the ex showed up. Glad that Ted did. Let's hope someone like Sonya, direct and with character, forces herself into Dale's life someday.

QuickMagazine

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

your story is fun Should continue writing Dale's story.

BrentJWBrentJWalmost 2 years ago

Nicely done! Two different outlooks on life from the same place.

Bronco56Bronco56almost 2 years ago

Great story. More romance than loving wife. I enjoyed it. 5stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I was waiting for thr hammer to fall. So glad it didn't. Good job.

AardieAardiealmost 2 years ago

How did he know about the ex cheating in their bed? Did she really put that in her note on the fridge?

Buster2UBuster2Ualmost 2 years ago

5 stars, I love a happy ending

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

nice

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 2 years ago

That's a true-to-life romance. 5*, obviously.

mac1729mac1729almost 2 years ago

Very well done, a sweet romance

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago
Very Very Good, But Should Have Been In The Romance Category

Let's be honest, the marriages were so little of this story that we don't know the ex wives perspective and we have no idea if the the ex husbands aren't better off divorced. We get it that the husbands feel betrayed and hate their ex wives, but would a business person regret that their business partner revealed themselves as dishonest or at least discontent and left the partnership? Who wants to be in a draining moribund disappointing marriage?

Your story displays two people who "click." They will forge a partnership that no one can predict the duration, the quality, or the outcome. You do the best you can, and you should expect the same from your spouse. Let's hope this romance becomes another long term loyal loving marriage. You depicted two people for whom this may be it. Thanks for the effort.

lbeachamlbeachamalmost 2 years ago

Yes, there is a God.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcalmost 2 years ago

Great story. I would have liked a " they lived happily ever after and had three kids ending, but I guess this one works. 5*

26thNC26thNCalmost 2 years ago

That was a great story. Two men got hurt by ex wives. Only one met Sonya. I think I could fall in love with her too. Story made me feel good enough to forget all these other cuck stories. Thanks Rhett.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Beautiful story , well written , a positive message that fills you with hope ! Can’t find anything wrong with it to bitch about , so it’s civic responsibility to rate it at a five and to dive into your other works to see if this one is just an anomaly, which I’m very sure it is not !!! Great job !!!

iammweaseliammweaselalmost 2 years ago

Excellent brief view into the mindset of dumped spouses.

Sadly I knew a few Dales myself, they were who they became.

Keep up the good work.

DFWBeastDFWBeastalmost 2 years ago

Thanks! Great story showing the two major ways people handle getting shit on. Both suck because their situations weren't primarily the their fault but one has a brighter if scarier future.

Killian

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Nice story, well written 5* thanx!

Loklie

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Thanks; excellent story

johnadpjohnadpalmost 2 years ago

Is there anything sexier when first meeting someone than for them to talk incessantly about their ex that they obviously haven't gotten over, and their obvious bitterness? Damn sexy if you have no self-esteem and zero options.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 2 years ago

Excellent bit of romance. Sonya’s a real dynamo. Hard not to fall in love with her. Dale is such a meaty and juicy character. I hope you consider expanding his story. Thanks for sharing your work.

AngelRiderAngelRideralmost 2 years ago

A sweet little romance.

AngelRiderAngelRideralmost 2 years ago

Johnadp, it gets my panties wet just thinking about it. Lol.

Crusader235Crusader235almost 2 years ago

Excellent rebound story, everyone needs love in their life.

Thank you for reminding us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Hope Dale doesn't turn out to be right and Ted get's hammered again! Dale's safer, but alone. Ted has a chance at relational happiness but also emotional destruction. Tough call.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzaralmost 2 years ago

Good dialogue, and a very good version of showing how different people handle life after the marriage blows up.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Obviously, Dale was modeled after some of the bitter LW commentators who have had the misfortune to get involved with the wrong woman and are scarred for life. Those of us who were fortunate and live with our best friend and lover know there are a lot of great women out there - just like Sonya. Thanks for a 5 star story.

patilliepatilliealmost 2 years ago

Nice job, a love story that fits this category but has the happy ending I desire.

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 2 years ago

will rate when/if CH-2 is posted. If this is not a serial, then it is time to recall FTDS.

Rw43Rw43almost 2 years ago

“I’m not missing it. No woman is worth that risk.”

<>

More honest words have never been spoken.

<>

I’m not referring to truth. Obviously most women ARE worth the risk to a man who hasn’t experienced a Charlene. But exposing yourself a second time, without knowing what corrective actions to take? Men are not good at developing our emotional maturity; most of us need a woman’s help. Good for Ted to share some of his newly-achieved maturity with Dale.

ArdieffArdieffalmost 2 years ago

Very sweet. Not all men are incels and not all women are cheaters. People are individuals, and very, very different to each other.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66almost 2 years ago

Wow! A powerful, poignant story. Bravo 👏. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Rings true. Well told. Thank-you. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Sappy

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

If only I could give it 6 stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Sweet story. Thank you for posting it. I wish them happy ever after.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I'm a guy, so I know more about guys. I'm 70 years old on my 2nd marriage because my first wife passed from Ovarian. I know so many guys who give into the pain of a bad relationship and kill off that part of themselves. I share the hope, energy, and love with the mc because of my current wife of 6 years. I could have easily been another Dale. I'm lucky and happy that I'm not. Realistic and hope inspiring story.

Dry_opinionDry_opinionalmost 2 years ago

Should be in "Romance" category. Betrayal is only mentioned as a distant memory. The story is focused on building new relationships without anyone cheating.

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxalmost 2 years ago

Thank you so much Rhett. It is nice to read a story that has hope for the future after a sad divorce. Not all futures for a great many people both man and woman turn out well. 5*****

KittyCampbellKittyCampbellalmost 2 years ago

This was a great story. Full marks.

littleone35littleone35almost 2 years ago

Love it glad he found the right woman

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Five

Captcha

PierremanvisPierremanvisalmost 2 years ago

Class…. Pure class. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Delightful story.

Thank you😊

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

“None of this charred-sea-bass-on-a-bed-of-dandelions-and-summer-corn bullshit.” What a great line and what a great story. Well done.

RanDog025RanDog025almost 2 years ago

Excellent story, thank you! 5 BIG ASS STARS!

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitalmost 2 years ago

Nice. Seems like it took Ted a long time to figure out how vulnerability is tied to defense mechanisms.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very nice story, definitely five star worthy. Thanks for sharing, RTB.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good sweet story.Short but well written, evocative. 5*****

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Been there. 38 years on 2nd time around. She is still the one i most want to see walk thru the door. Every thing gets better.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It is interesting that Dale is so hard-core against thr entire female gender due to his wife trading up for another man with more wealth and ambition. Honestly I would take that easier than what Ted went through with Grace, where she claimed to love him but then started up an affair and found her freaking soul mate. That would hurt so much more IMHO (luckily I have been married 29 years to my soul mate and while life has thrown some mean shit our way over the years, it has also caused us to bond even more closely). So I think Ted actually got hammered worse and it reflected in his inability to communicate at all with his ex. Terrifying that she did this to him after 3 years with her betrayal probably starting months before he learned in a letter (what a bitch). What is ironic is that Dale has issues and I have to imagine they aren't all due to the divorce. So regardless how he describes all the sacrifices he made for his ex, there must have been some problems. Thr irony is that with his ex wife Charlene, it probably didn't matter because she was looking to trade up and was an unrepentant bitch, and what he did in terms of their relationship had zero bearing. On the other hand if the two wives were flipped, and he had been married to Grace, I doubt he would have been blameless. And yet Ted is clearly a different guy and he got stuck with Grace who still ripped his heart out. Again I think Grace's betrayal while not better or worse than Charlene's is a lot harder for a husband to process, yet it is Dale who will distrust women for thr rest of his life.

inka2222inka2222over 1 year ago

1. Great story! Easy 5 stars!

2. Anyone who feels like Dave (every woman will screw you), it has a reasonably valid response: See that woman whose husband cheated on her. Does that mean that you'd cheat on your wife, guaranteed? What do you mean you're not her husband and different. Well, some women aren't whatsherface your wife (Charlene?). Dixi. Now, he DOES have a valid point in theory, in that women are hypegamous, and many WILL backstab their partner just for a juicier mate. BUT... not all. Problem is, basic human psychology (Hanneman etc...) is that you remember the most recent experience most of all, and his was the betrayal.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Anonymous from a month ago (starts with "It is interesting..." hit the nail on the head. Dale is the hater and is permanently scarred but Grace's betrayal seems worse. Both suck but finding a new soul mate after 3 years (minus the time for the affair to build) and then ending it with a letter? That is ice cold. Also seeing a lot of.the comments on here, a number seem to side.with Dale. What is all this stuff about women being inclined to cheat? Huh? Men aged 40-60 years are almost 1.5 times more likely to have had at least one affair in a marriage than females in the same age bracket (29% vs 19%). So what about all thr pussy hounds? Infidelities are similar (58% to 54%) for any type of exclusive relationship across both semesters, but that is much broader than an affair.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Boy, you can sure write it up.

rbloch66rbloch66over 1 year ago

It’s easy to distrust someone after being burned. She approached him with no agenda, understood his present state of mind, and didn’t coddle him. She drew him out in the most compassionate manner possible, and let him set the pace. What’s not to love? - Great story.

DrgwngDrgwngover 1 year ago

Anony two comments down is quoting old and out of date numbers. In truth female affairs and cheating has reached statistical parity more than a decade ago and among younger demographic groups now exceeds male infidelity which has remained flat for a long time. Society has done well to hide the cheating by women but things are slowly coming out. Why do fem lobby groups push back against mandatory dna tests at birth. Because it is offensive to them? For example dna records now show that among long term relationships, one in five men are raising non bio kids. Usually the third child. Sort of puts low cheating female numbers to rest. Among gen x,y,z the numbers of female cheating and filing divorce for profit as considerably higher. No wonder men are foregoing marriage and idiots like this anony will continue to defend though oh so innocent women.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesabout 1 year ago

Enjoyed the story and the outcome. Thanks for your writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

It can be a fine line to walk after a painful betrayal. Easy to be scared. Tough to risk again

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago
"I say what I mean."

Nah, you just a rude bitch. I hate assholes who say that. Just fuck off already. 1*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very well written, very real.

Thank you

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userrhetthebrat@rhetthebrat
I sometimes confuse Willem Dafoe with Christopher Walken.

SIMILAR Stories