All Comments on 'But Should We?'

by MattblackUK

Sort by:
  • 86 Comments
TajfaTajfaover 1 year ago

I don't see the connection between the first part and the second part. Why bother with the wife leaving him then jump to years later when the son had died and he wanted to shag his dead sons wife. That's disgusting but there is a story in here somewhere. Why not bring the wife back into the picture? The beginning was good and well written but the rest left me cold. 3 stars for the writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Oh,...Dang it! Stupid Covid!

CagivagurlCagivagurlover 1 year ago

Interesting twist...

Short and sweet.

Well told story.

5 stars

Cagivagurl

26thNC26thNCover 1 year ago

Another one of Those stories. Great twist, great emotion, just a great story.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

Good little story!

5

Destro97Destro97over 1 year ago

I can't lie I was kinda of ticked of at first because I couldn't see how Harry would ever agree and i didn't even think about the possibility of a twist like yours. Five stars just for actually catching me napping

MightyheartMightyheartover 1 year ago

I thought it was going down the usual way when you stunned me with the end.

Wow ! Speechless.

5/5

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 1 year ago

Yay!! A story from my twin! Look forward to your December story. Randi.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Rotten.

Damn, even if Harry was dead, duhhh, father & daughter in law relationships should be platonic. Anything else is weird, mon.

Not one of your best but appreciate your whole work here, so… 3.

Captcha

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very dark, but well written.

Forto02Forto02over 1 year ago

Hahaha

You really got me with that twist

Good job!

skruff101skruff101over 1 year ago

Telegraphed the twist a little early but not bad.

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 1 year ago

is anybody going to call her a deadbeat mom......oh..oh...oh I will! Good bye you aussie whore!!!

servant111servant111over 1 year ago

No pathos.

3 stars

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyover 1 year ago

So they killed him by poisoning so they could be together, even if they didn't do that, then they are still horrible people. That was your son for fucks sake.

demanderdemanderover 1 year ago

Kinda strange. Okay, though. D

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 1 year ago

That was an interesting little twist. Nice job.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

odd

lc69hunterlc69hunterover 1 year ago

A very interesting take. I liked it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Too much description, a d too dry. I quit reading this uninteresting crap. Sorry

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 1 year ago

Whoa - got reading whiplash on that one! I had to reread it twice to get what you were doing. Well done! 5*

secretsalsecretsalover 1 year ago

Well written, but i've seen this story outline a couple of times before. Shocker, I know, considering the thousands of stories already posted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Just nasty!.... that's his son's wife... what happened to him? How did he die? whatever happened to the dead beat absintee shyt of a mother?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Why is this in lw category when his ex leaving really has nothing to do with the end? He could have been a widow or a basic pleasant divorce etc. no connection for me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Brilliant - loved the twist, lead me down the garden path only to find I'm the wrong one! Also the respect and love they had for their dearly departed son/husband and wanting to seek his permission even though he no longer had any bearance on their lives! Well written!!!

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuover 1 year ago

The ending surprised me.

Not in a good way though.

It was weird. But I gotta give you props for gunning for originality.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Beginning unrelated to ending 2 **

JH4FunJH4Funover 1 year ago
Outstanding Read ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

It was just another great story by a dang good author. You will get a lot of haters on this one. They just won’t understand. A friend who past few years back mother married her widowed husband. They are both great people, just as she was before her final trip to the sand box (Iraq).

You keep telling your stories/tales your way.

Thanks for writing this one. On our Veteran’s Day here in the US it was a nice memory for me to think of them. I was working at RAF Molesworth when she died. I was close with her mother and friends of her and her husband. I smiled really big inside, just remembering them. Thanks for that. Yes I have my poppies for the day.

Keep Writing

JH4Fun

imhaplessimhaplessover 1 year ago

Cute and under-rated; 5*

SithLord6969SithLord6969over 1 year ago

Beautiful story. The twist ending was brilliant. 5 stars and a fave!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Usually, these type of stories conclude with the author revealing that the entire conversation took place in the cemetery at Harry's grave. That Harry had been dead for some time. That the romantic relationship between the two only evolved long after Harry's death and no actual "cheating" occurred while Harry was alive but the two were still looking to the dead Harry's approval for happiness for the two.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 1 year ago

"I know we have made out a couple of times." They WHAT? When did that happen?

\

Sorry, leaving out the story of Harry's illness and death, and their subsequent growing closer, just so that we could have the "twist" ending, didn't work for me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Just didn’t work. Firstly, there was absolutely no connection between what happened to Dave and Harry being abandoned by Teagan and the eventual hooking up between Dave and Sally. Those 2 plot things were totally unrelated.

.

As well…there was never any real point to the Teagan story as it related to Dave and Harry. None.

.

Finally….while it was kinda cute with the twist at the end…again it made no sense with the rest of the story as there was NOTHING provided to set that table.

.

Ultimately, a very weak effort.

.

2 **

Rw43Rw43over 1 year ago

I disagree with the critics who think this relationship is immoral. The legal relationship between a man and his DiL runs through the son. With his passing, especially with no children, there is no official family relationship remaining for this new one to violate. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm fine with it.

<>

OTOH, I find it strange that their relationship has progressed to this level. After Tabitha,

c ertainly David has isolated himself from other women, and Sally is a real catch; but what about Sally's options? Doesn't she have normal social interactions with people of her own generation? Didn't she gain comfort from anyone outside the Dave/Harry household? Were all the available men in her circle too slow to express interest, or obvious losers? Does she realize that one day she will bury the father of the man she already buried, and she will be the loneliest of widows with no family to comfort her?

<>

Comments also praised the emotion in this story; with only one brief conversation (and emotion normally conveyed through dialogue), that praise didn't immediately make sense to me. But in a tight-lipped British sense, you HAVE conveyed a lot of emotion in a snippet of a story. I guess it's conveyed through the decision-making of the characters and how they honored Harry.

<>

A thought-provoking story, MB. Unless you switch to writing porn, "thought-provoking" is the highest rating.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year ago

Good story well told! There is no doubt about that. I admit that I think this topic of a woman and her father-in-law makes for a troubling example to use in a twist like this. The implied cheating is too severe to leave this reader happy for the outcome. However, the author did a good job!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a twist at the end! Good story

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

"After all, we really can't control who we fall in love with, can we?" I'm confused. Was that the cuck husband quoting his Aussie whore wife (is that redundant?)? Or was that just the author illustrating how brainless and shallow everyone connected to this story is? But the biggie is, What Was The Plot? Much easier to answer is, Who Cares? About your usual. Thanks for the effort.

Regguy69Regguy69over 1 year ago

Maybe I missed it, but I couldn’t discern a timeline for Harry’s death and his widow becoming romantically involved with his father. If it a few years, then who cares? If it was a few weeks, gross!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

huh?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Asking permission posthumously….. nice twist!

TK

stev2244stev2244over 1 year ago

Nice short story with a surprising twist. 5*

mattenwmattenwover 1 year ago

Even if she's a widow, having sex with her father-in-law is a grenade. How much older is he? 25 years, 30 years? But to each his own! 3*!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Buzzsawlenny , I think, missed the point. Dave and Sally did nothing bad; Harry died, Sally and Dave continued to have a relationship based on mutual regard for their lost loved one, and that morphed into romantic love. At least, that's the way I see it. Maybe a clarification of the relationship by Mr. Black would be helpful. Still, a good story. I agree that Tegan needs no further consideration. She made her bed, she can lie in it. lpw

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Nice twist. Just when you think they should be summarily executed....

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The final twist was well telegraphed, but interesting nonetheless. All the usual “problems” that beset flash stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It was an okay story until you tried to turn it into a tear jerker. I simply don't want to read about someone committing suicide, killing someone or dying. I think it requires some cleverness to write a LW story even if the "theme" has been done before, again, again and again.

WetheNorthWetheNorthover 1 year ago
Nice twist at the end

Settled everything for me

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69over 1 year ago

Short but good read.

njlaurennjlaurenover 1 year ago

A bit dry to read, the twist was okay, though that has been used before as well ie talking to a dead person at their grave,etc.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Leaving chunks out of a story is not mysterious, it’s just laziness

iammweaseliammweaselover 1 year ago

That was different. Didnt take long either.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Savant111's response is ALWAYS "No pathos". If you read his drivel, and if that is pathos, I'm glad fewer writers use... pathos. Can/Do-Can't/Teach.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Is this supposed to be funny?!? A cute twist? Because it’s neither. It’s actually vile!

ZK

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I did not see that coming. I like it, nicely done.

MichaelFitzgerald

012Say012Sayover 1 year ago

Well done. I wanted to know more as I read, then discovered I didn't need to know more. A little flat emotionally, but to overcome that it would take more words than this tale needs. 5 from me.

inka2222inka2222over 1 year ago

Sad but uplifting. Thank you. Easy 5 stars.

rodryder44rodryder44over 1 year ago

Strange story. I was wondering how Texan was going to affect Dave, Harry and Sally. Then the bombshell goes off between Dave and Sally. Then the story ends. No comments.

Bargyn1Bargyn1over 1 year ago

Unusual, I liked the twist at the end.

jmm999jmm999over 1 year ago

Like you, I'm from UK, and most of my stories have a twist at the end.

This was neat 5*.

LakeeriegoatguyLakeeriegoatguyover 1 year ago

Five teardrops...

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I had a feeling it would be heading this way.... Nice, short and sweet.

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 1 year agoAuthor

Tajfa, the first part was to set the scene for the rest of the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago
Did not see it coming

The story stopped making sense when she said that they made out a few times. Then it all fell into place at the end. Nice twist.

P.S. Some people's comments show their lack of comprehensive reading skills. It is clear that they have an agenda and include actions and words that are not part of the story they have read then insult the writer for those things coming out of their imagination. They are only insulting their own intelligence or maybe they are showing their lack of coherent thoughts. On the other hand that castastrophizing could be due to anxiety or even more serious mental health issues. They should get help for their own good.

FredHuckFredHuckover 1 year ago

Nice twist at the end...

5🌟s

Fred

WargamerWargamerover 1 year ago

Just plain sad.

3/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Saw that coming nearly a mile away. Dislike for my part.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 1 year ago

@Annie: "The Randi gang."

*****

Yeah, we gang AF. Out here mobbin, doing shit you ordinary pussies wouldn't dare. We all about the gang shit.

laptopwriterlaptopwriterover 1 year ago

Not all LW stories end with a gleeful ex-husband riding off in the sunset with his new bride. Mattblack UK gives us another slice of life with a very sad ending. Well done.

bruce1971bruce1971over 1 year ago

REALLY enjoyed the twist at the end. Nicely done!

kiteareskitearesover 1 year ago

Curious twist may to December, cradle to grave...

Amazing where the minds of authors sometimes travel.

Thanks for sharing

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Nicely done, but you should have passed it back through your editor one last time and then stopped tweaking !

Wavedave45Wavedave45over 1 year ago

What would make this better is if the sons face appeared in the clouds. Wind started blowing and thunder and lighting rings out. And in a booming voice from above he says "ARE YOU F'ING JOKING?!"

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Didn't expect that ending

Can't see how Harry could object, if his father was a good man, he'd want his wife to be happy, surely?

Simon_Masters

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Nice twist.

Ed

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

Wow! good switch on the standard wife's idea. Can't imagine a Father being so cruel to his only Son. Guess the obituary didn't mention gunshot wound to the temple.

DeanofMeanDeanofMeanabout 1 year ago

Well written but not for me would have been better a page or so shorter or end it with harry and her dead that was beyond my ability to suspend disbelief i guess.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

I think the author did to good a job of building up the story, showing how emotional things would have gotten for Harry, it would have to be devastating as a child knowing your own Mother turned her back on you, not even letters, Facebook, Skype Social media etc

Sympathy builds for poor Harry.

Then you introduce Dave and Harry's wife Sally talking about taking an affair to the next level with the implied conclusion he would have to like it or lump it, readers anger at the two is through the roof.

Then the twist in the plot.

Trouble is readers anger is extremely high.

Hopefully the Author understands it takes a while to rein in that sort of anger, meanwhile you get negative comment's as they see those two as dis-honoring his memory.

In a way it shows how good a job he did in building up the story

MattblackUKMattblackUK9 months agoAuthor

Anon. Make yourself a nice strong cup of sweet tea, get some biscuits, or cookies if you are the the States and re-read the story. All the answers to your questions are in the story. But to clear up your confusion: They were not asking a gravestone, they were communicating with the dead person in the grave which the headstone was place on. Where the hell did you get the totally unsupported notion that anyone killed themselves in despair or otherwise?

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Very enjoyable. However I soon caught on.

Some comments tend to show that many Americans have difficulty with "real" English.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I enjoyed the story until the last. I suppose them wanting to further their relationship into a sexual one was upon/ after the death of Harry. At 35, he died much too young. But I don't see anywhere in the story concerning him being sick. I doubled & tripled check. Took away some of the story's enjoyment. Bob

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

The ending ruined it. No matter the case, parents should stay the fuck away from children's spouses, even if the son/daughter is deceased.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

“After all, we really can't control who we fall in love with, can we?”

Of course you can. You’re human, not an animal operating on instinct. Love is a choice, and an action. If it’s inappropriate to love someone, then you don’t open your heart to the possibility.

It’s just that simple!

ZK

AnonymousAnonymous17 days ago

Not bad, but felt like a lot was missing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMattblackUK@MattblackUK
Writer for over 30 years. Hack journalist, decided to try writing for Literotica, too. And still having fun here 10+ years later