By choice or by force Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Greg shrugged unhappily. "We only just averted a pack war once already; something must be done to secure our family."

"But..."

Jonathon suddenly leaned down and grasped Trudy's arm.

"Be careful madam, you have no voice here today."

Trudy glared at him. "You cannot silence me; I have every right to be seen and heard!"

"I should think that would be the last thing you would want," he hissed at her. "You see, I know who you are... he does not remember, but I know who you are!"

Trudy stepped back and the colour drained from her face, only to flood back a second later.

"That was years ago," she stuttered in shock, "a life time ago for all who were concerned."

"Perhaps that is why he does not remember?" Jonathon said cruelly and the look of raw pain in her eyes told him that he had hit his mark.

"Perhaps," she said in a low dull voice as all the fight seemed to drain out of her.

She looked imploringly at her brother but he just shook his head and shrugged. "The decision has been made," he told her regretfully.

Laurie had watched her aunt in horror as the vibrancy that was so much a part of her aunt, was so effectively snuffed out, and as Trudy stepped back, Laurie glanced quickly at Jonathon with pure hatred in her eyes.

She knew that Michael was trying to capture her gaze but she just lowered her head again and refused to look at anyone, not even Iris who was openly crying at what her sister was about to do, she was also trying to attract her attention to stop her from making this huge mistake.

To bond and pledge with a complete stranger -- this was worse than what had happened at Bill Frawnings estate.

"And so, step forward any who would like to try to win the young woman's favour?"

As a general murmur ensued and several young men stepped forward, Laurie stood as still as a statue with her head down so that none could see her rage.

She had sat in horror this afternoon as her father sadly informed her that Jonathon's help had come at the cost of his interference. In getting Bill Frawnings off their backs he had been forced to allow this fiasco.

Laurie had tearfully forgiven her father, but she had kept her one secret weapon to herself.

Now she stood with her head down as Jonathon Richards dared to pronounce her fate.

She had seen Bill's boys the moment she walked into this room, and realised that they were here for another shot at 'the prize'.

She could see them out the corner of her eye and they both looked to be straining at the bit. Eager to wade in and have another go at the bonding it seemed.

As though their previous failed attempts did not exist!

Laurie felt her fury rising.

These shifters! What right did they any of them have to dictate her life? She glared at Jonathon, especially him!

She stamped her foot suddenly, in what could only be described as a childish gesture, but it sounded loud as her heel clattered against the tiled floor, and all eyes turned to her in surprise.

She lifted her face and let Jonathon see the full force of the fury burning inside her, and for one split second she would have sworn that his lips twitched.

"You have something to say?" he asked in a cool suave tone of voice.

"I do!" she snapped.

The quiet gasps around her should have warned her but she was too far gone now. All these people could just go and rot in hell!

"You can keep all of your would-be suitors," she declared loudly. "Because I have already done the deed myself."

"Oh?" Jonathon demanded in a dangerous voice. "And who is this fortunate soul? Who have you bonded with?"

The silence in the room was deafening.

"HIM!" she nodded at Michael.

You could have heard a pin drop, but in the raw silence that followed her declaration, one voice rose up in pure joy.

"Yes!" Michael leapt forward and his look of elation was lost on no one -- not even his father.

Jonathon saw his son the man for the first time that day, as Michael lost his guarded reserve in his father's presence, and let his true feelings show.

Jonathon slowly rose to his feet, refusing to let the pain in his joints be felt, refusing to acknowledge the soul-destroying weariness, as he opened up his shoulders and embraced the fullness of his power.

The adrenalin surged through his system and he didn't even have to raise his voice to be heard.

"Very well then -- this audience is concluded. There will be no bonding -- no pledges held here today... you may all depart with my thanks for your indulgence; all except the girl and her family."

When only Michael, Laurie and her family were left standing in the room, Jonathon sank wearily back into his chair.

"I have passed my judgement on any form of relationship between the two of you and yet you both keep on insisting that it is all you are prepared to consider."

"Perhaps it is because they both feel, that in a free world, then they should have the freedom to choose," Trudy suddenly said stiffly.

"Well for most people that is truly the case," Jonathon snapped back impatiently. "But my son knows better."

"They why does he persist in his claim for my niece?"

Jonathon looked to his son, who merely nodded his agreement with her.

"You know that to succeed me as pack leader, and to ascend to the council of elders, that you must keep to the old blood and the old ways. You know that they will never accept you if you pursue this woman."

"I do know this, father." Michael said sadly. "But I cannot help how I feel; my life without Laurie is no life at all, and I refuse to blindly follow that path."

"But the council... the pack -- you cannot have the woman and the leadership!" Jonathon persisted as he felt the weariness invade his system again, this time stronger than ever before.

"Then I reject the pack -- I reject the council... I reject you -- I reject it all!" Michael snapped in frustration.

His father paled alarmingly and moved to stand, and then he lurched forward suddenly, as his world turned to darkness.

It seemed as though it all happened in slow motion to Michael, as his father stood and then leaned forward and then fell heavily towards the ground.

He watched in horror as he saw the once powerful man disappear in front of his eyes.

He could only manage one thought -- one word.

"Father!"


12