Caleb 82 - Housewarming

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"However, you are all adults, or almost. You can no longer hide behind your parents. You must make and justify decisions for yourself. You may have been schooled by your parents, but it's you that will be accountable for your actions, not them, not your friends or relatives, not even your god. You are responsible for your actions and should be fully aware of why you make the decisions you do. One day you may be called upon to justify yourself."

I'm sure he left that deliberately vague so as those who wished to do so could consider the 'day of judgement' scenario where they would stand before God, and others could consider that they might have to justify themselves to their peers or to the law. In my case though, the only person I knew I'd have to justify myself to, would be me.

Dana waited by the door for me as I exited.

"Lunch?" she asked. I looked at my watch. I was due to fly again that afternoon, but I had some time.

"Sure," I said. She smiled at me and linked her arm to mine as we walked down the hallway.

"How's thing's?" she asked lightly glancing at me out of the corner of her eye. I wasn't fooled.

"I'm fine," I said. "Things were a little tense for a while, but it's all settled now."

"Really?" she asked. "Tense? That's what you're going with?"

I laughed. "I'm okay, honestly. Tell me...are you and Gracie coming to the party Friday?"

"Gracie's out of town," she said, "on assignment. I don't even know where. I think she has another week or so to go before she's back. But I was planning to come."

"Good," I said. "Not good that Gracie's away but good that you're coming Friday."

We entered the refectory. I looked around seeing if any of my girls were there yet. They weren't.

We lined up and got some food before taking seats at one of the larger, but as yet empty, tables.

"I've been looking forward to it," she said. "Gracie's been away for nearly two weeks. I don't like being on my own anymore."

"You should have said," I told her. "You could have come over."

"You kind of had enough going on in your life," she told me. "You didn't need me hanging around."

"You should know," I told her, "that you're welcome any time."

She looked at me and smiled.

"Thanks," she said. "I'll definitely be there Friday."

"Great," said Amanda taking a seat next to her. "Is Gracie coming?"

Dana had almost the identical conversation with Amanda that she had with me. That was just ending as Jules sat down.

"Are you and Gracie coming to the party?" she asked Dana. I laughed.

Eventually everyone arrived and were caught up on Dana and Gracie's current estrangement, and the fact that Dana intended to come to the party.

"I thought you were flying this afternoon," said Sarah once there was a lapse in the conversation.

"I am," I told her. "I think I'm with Danny today. We're doing final prep for my check ride the week after next. I already booked my medical for the Monday we're back."

"Arnie says that Danny's getting much better," she said. "But will you check in on him?"

"I'll see how he is," I said.

As I said this, Sarah, who'd been looking at me, looked up. Someone had approached our table and was standing almost behind me. I turned to look and saw my ex-client Naomi, the deaf girl, standing there. I could tell that she'd already put on weight even in the short amount of time since she'd stopped her treatment.

"Hi," she signed. "Can we talk?"

"I'm with my family just now," I said.

"I'm sorry," she said. "Please, it'll only take a minute."

I sighed. "Okay," I signed. She looked around the cafeteria, obviously not wanting to hold a conversation in full view of everyone. I would have been upset by this had she not been deaf. It's so easy to 'eavesdrop' on a deaf person's conversation if you can read ASL, far easier than overhearing a spoken conversation. I also could see her 'friend' watching us with narrowed eyes.

I stood, followed her out of the cafeteria, and into the hallway. She walked toward my office, which was only a few minutes away, just past the library. She stood expectantly by the door. I opened it and let her inside. I followed her inside, but didn't close the door. Sarah, who at my mental request had followed us, stepped inside and she closed the door, standing with her back to it.

"I was hoping to talk to you alone," said the girl.

"About what?" I asked her.

She looked at Sarah, and then seemed to make up her mind.

"I was hoping," she said, "I could persuade you to take me back on as a client."

I saw Sarah frown, not understanding what was being said. I translated to her, and then dumped my ASL knowledge into her head. She'd remember it for a while unless she chose to 'file' it properly later. I expected that she would.

"I already said," I told the girl, "I'm no longer going to be doing that."

"But I know that you're doing it outside the school," she argued. "One of my friend's uncles is coming to see you at the range. It's only here that you're stopping."

"Your point?" I asked her.

"It's not fair," she said.

"Was almost the entire school trying to get me kicked out fair?" I asked her. "Was my entire clientele suddenly dropping me like I was infected fair? I'll give you one thing, at least you had the courtesy to come and tell me to my face. Everyone else simply didn't show up for their appointments."

"We were wrong," she said. "I'll admit I was wrong."

"And how much use would that have been to me," I asked, "if you'd been successful in your efforts to get me kicked out of school? You could have ruined any chance of my getting into the career I want to follow, just because you chose to believe some unsubstantiated rumor."

"You wouldn't discuss it," she argued.

"And why should I?" I asked. "What right do you, or anyone, have to demand information from me about my private life?"

She looked at the floor.

"Please," she said. "You can see that I'm already almost back to the weight I was when I started with you. I can't keep this up. I need your help."

"I'm sorry," I said. "I can't help you." I paused for a few moments before continuing.

"However," I said, and she looked up at me a little hope in her eyes. "My sister here, and my other sister Melanie, are going to be starting up in a couple of weeks. Perhaps they may be able to help you."

Naomi looked at Sarah, scepticism on her face.

"She's just a kid," she said.

"Then don't come and see her," I said. "Nobody is going to force you."

"How about if I make an appointment at the range?" she suggested, "Away from the school?"

"I'm no longer taking students as clients," I told her, "no matter where."

"But..." she bit her lip for a moment, and then seemed to make a decision.

"I could make it worth your while," she said moving toward me slightly.

I stepped back, and Sarah stepped between us,

"Take a step back," Sarah said. It was only then I noticed that she had her phone out, and had been recording the entire episode.

Naomi stepped back, her eyes dropping to the phone.

"My brother has told you," Sarah said, not unkindly, "that he is no longer accepting students as clients. Considering what the students here did to him, I don't think that he's being unreasonable. Now, as he said, Melanie and I are going to be setting up in a couple of weeks. We're both state registered and trained by Caleb himself. Once we get going, you'll be able to book appointments via the same website you did before, just with us and not with Caleb. Now I think everything that needed to be said, has been said. If you don't mind, we'd like to get back to our family."

Sarah stepped around Naomi, and opened the door, holding onto it and looking pointedly at her.

Naomi sighed, looked from me to Sarah, and then walked out. I handed the key to the office to Sarah.

"You'd best hold onto this," I told her. "I'm not going to be needing it. Perhaps get one made for Melanie?"

Since it was getting on in time, I didn't return to the cafeteria, but headed straight out to go to the airfield. Danny was expecting me and I didn't want to be late.

I had to admit, the flying lessons were actually becoming a bit of a bore. I had the memories and experience of thousands of hours flying all kinds of aircraft in all kinds of situations, including flying combat aircraft on missions in the Gulf. This puttering around in a single engine light aircraft was like sitting in a kiddy car when I was a nascar driver.

I tried my best not to show my boredom, I was getting in my hours, and working towards the qualifications that would let me fly more interesting and powerful aircraft. Eventually I'd be able to fly the G500 but even that, I knew, wouldn't be exactly thrilling. I wondered just how bored Gerry was acting as a 'limo driver' for Pops.

"Are you coming to our housewarming?" I asked Danny after we'd tucked up the Cirrus for the night.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "I'd have thought the last thing you'd want at that kind of party would be an old fart like me hanging around."

"Old fart?" I asked. "You can't be more than fifty?" I grinned at him.

"I'm forty, you ass," he said.

"Then stop acting older." I told him. "Come to the party."

He seemed to think about that for a moment.

"Okay," he said. "Did you need me to bring anything?"

"Just you," I said. "We're only ten minutes' walk away, so leave the car home and you can have a drink if you want. There will be drinks there for the over 21's. I think you qualify."

He grinned at me.

"You're a bully," he said. "Has anyone told you that?"

"Not since junior high," I told him. "The time I stole Saul Lieberman's lunch money."

He looked at me wide-eyed. "You didn't?"

"Of course not," I laughed. "Saul Lieberman was twice my size. He'd have kicked my ass."

Danny shook his head as we reached the flying school office door.

"I'll see you tomorrow evening," he said. I had no flying lesson Friday, since I had a couple of hypnotherapy sessions booked at the range in the morning, and I wanted to get stuff ready for the party in the afternoon.

"We'll probably be kicking off around six," I said. "There'll be food too, so don't need to eat before you come over."

"Good to know," he said. "See you then."

I made my way home.

I entered the house and found Sarah and Arnie sitting at the kitchen table, both flushed with arousal, listening intently to Louise. Lou looked up as I came through the door and grinned. I wondered what she'd been telling them but chose not to ask.

"Is Ness home yet?" I asked. Sarah shook her head.

"She's getting changed," said Arnie.

"What's up?" asked Ness entering the kitchen.

"Just wanted to think about what food we're cooking tomorrow night," I said.

"Well," she said, only the slightest hint of sarcasm in her voice, "since you bought all that meat, I thought you were going to fire up the barbecue."

"I was," I said with a smile, "but have you seen the forecast?"

She pulled out her phone, and looked at it.

"Shit," she said. "That's going to put a crimp in it."

"85% chance of heavy precipitation," said Arnie looking at his phone.

"We're going to have to have an indoor party," I told them.

"Why not," started Ness. "Go buy a barbecue on wheels, and move the cars out of the garage. Grill in there with the door open. Then you'll be dry. It's not that warm but I'm sure you'll be warm enough cooking. Even with the door open it'll get pretty warm in there, I guess."

"I'm not sure that's safe," I said. "Even with the door open. There's not enough ventilation in there."

"How about," asked Melanie, "We get one of those garden tent things."

"Great idea," said Mary. "A grill gazebo. Costco stocks them...I remember seeing them."

"Seems a little bit extreme for one party," I said.

"I'm sure we'll use it more," said Ness. "I know you like to barbecue and being able to grill even when the weather isn't great will be good."

We went online and checked the local Costco to see what they had in stock, and found one that everyone liked. It was nearly fifteen hundred dollars, which I thought was excessive for what it was, but I got outvoted.

"Order it for pick-up," said Amanda, "You can collect it, and put it up, tomorrow afternoon."

"Yes ma'am."

"I'll help," said Arnie. "If the weather is that bad, my student is likely to cancel. She's a basic private pilot student so she can't fly if it's not VFR conditions."

"I'll go get it after my last hypnotherapy session, so I should have it here by about twelve." I told him. He nodded.

With everything sorted for the party the next day, we settled in for the night. Normally Thursday would be our night at the range, but the rain was pouring down and none of us really felt like going out. We'd not booked a lane in any case and probably wouldn't be able to get one, given how busy the range was, even in such bad weather.

The next morning when I woke, Sarah and Arnie were once more in bed with us. This time Arnie was lying next to me, but with his ass pressed against mine. He was wearing boxers. Sarah was lying between him and Ness, and both had their arms around her. It took some careful TK for me to extricate her without waking the pair. Sarah grinned as she looked at her sleeping fiancé, holding Ness as she slept.

"I wonder how that's going to play out," she whispered as the three of us slipped quietly out of the bedroom.

Unsurprisingly it was raining and was cold. Both Melanie and Sarah were coming along in leaps and bounds with regard to their fitness and we covered an easy eight miles that morning. We arrived home soaked once again, and both Sarah and Melanie were shivering with the cold. Once more we stripped in the utility room and put our gear in the washer.

Melanie turned to Sarah. "Why don't you and Caleb go shower. I'll take your ensuite."

Sarah looked at me, the beginnings of a flush on her face. I wasn't sure if it was embarrassment, or arousal, until I looked at her aura. Both.

In the end, she decided against. She didn't want Arnie catching us coming out of the shower and make up his own version of what went on in there.

After, we sat around the table eating the breakfast that Ness prepared.

"What's your plans for this morning?" I asked Arnie.

"I have some paperwork to do at the school," he said. "I doubt I'll be flying at all today, It looks like the rain is here to stay and the clouds are very low."

I glanced out of the window and agreed with him.

"I'll be back probably about twelve," I said. "I'll pick up the gazebo on the way home. No worries if you're busy but, if not, I'd appreciate some help in setting it up."

"I'll be here," he said.

The girls set out for school, and Arnie for the airfield. I set out for the range.

"Morning," Hoss said as I entered, shaking the rain from my coat, so as not to drip water all over his reception area.

"How are things?" I asked.

"Quiet," he said. "The weather is keeping all but those who have to practice at home. We missed you last night."

"Sorry," I said. "It's been a rough few weeks. We're away next week but I'm sure we'll be back after, at least until the Christmas break."

"Don't worry about it," he laughed. "I'm not your mom. You don't owe me any explanations."

I smiled at him. Just then the door opened and my first client entered, trailing water across the reception area as he made his way toward my office.

Hoss grimaced, and I raised my eyebrows in mute apology before going and catching up with my client.

I made sure that both my clients knew that I wouldn't be around the following week, and then left the range, heading for Costco, to go and pick up the gazebo. Back at home, it took no time at all for Arnie and I to assemble it and stake it in place over the grill, which was going to take some drying out before we'd be able to use it. I made a mental note to ask Melanie to deal with that.

After we finished, Arnie and I sat in the kitchen enjoying a warm drink. We'd both worn coats, but it still wasn't warm out there.

"Can I ask a question?" he asked.

"Sure," I said.

"When are you going to tell Dad about powers?"

I thought about that for a few minutes. I hadn't even considered telling Danny about powers, but we should. It was likely that any children his son had would have some kind of power, and he should be aware of it and prepared. Also, it might help to explain our living situation.

"How do you think he'll take it?" I asked.

"I don't think he'll believe you at first," he said. "He doesn't believe in the supernatural, superpowers, or anything like that."

"And after?" I pressed.

"I think we need to be careful," he said. "If he figures out that you used powers to let him see Mom, he might freak out about it."

"Perhaps then," I said, "we should leave it a while, at least until he's in a bit of a better place. I know you said that he's getting better, but we don't want to set him back."

Arnie chewed his lip and nodded.

"I guess," he said.

"How are you doing?" I asked him. "Things have been pretty full on for the last couple of days. Any regrets?"

Arnie thought about that for a moment.

"Don't you know?" he asked. "I thought you could read my mind."

"I can," I said. "But I don't. Not unless you're screaming out what you're thinking, and you seem to be doing that less and less these days. I can read your aura, and I've seen some things there that make me think that you're not as comfortable with what's going on as you are making out."

He sighed.

"Sarah seems to be getting into the family dynamic," he said. "Sleeping in with you guys, walking around the house naked, all that kind of thing. That's not the way I was brought up. It's still very new to me and, while I can feel you guys, feel the love you have for each other, for me, it still feels a little like I'm being... I don't know... absorbed into the family. Like I'm losing myself."

"You need to take a step back?" I asked.

"I..." he began. "I don't want to upset Sarah, but it's like I'm in a steam room. I need to step out and get some air. Does that make sense?"

"Have you mentioned this to Sarah?" I asked.

"I can't," he said. "She's so happy with you guys, with all of us together, I don't want to upset her."

"She'll be less happy if she thinks that you're not happy, and you haven't told her," I warned him gently. "Speak to her, tell her how you're feeling. Maybe tonight, since it's your last night together for a week or so, spend it with just her in your room. Don't let things like this fester and become something bigger than they started out. Trust me, I made that mistake, and we all have the scars to show it."

"Can't you just..." he said making a twiddling gesture with his hands, "make me okay with everything?"

"No," I said probably more harshly than I should. He flinched.

"No," I repeated more gently. "Nobody here would do that to you, or to anyone. Do you really think that anyone who loved you could destroy your free will like that and turn you into some kind of slave? The mere thought of doing such a thing is and should be abhorrent to any powered person with an ounce of morals.

"Sarah loves you, YOU, Arnie Jarrett, not some flesh puppet that she, or we, control. What's more WE love the Arnie Jarrett who blushes so easily, does dumb stuff that gets his ass kicked, and yet keeps his head in the most trying of circumstances. Sarah has been pushing you, no doubt, but remember she's only eighteen too, and she only just came into her power. Hell, we're only twenty one and as likely to make mistakes as anyone else. We want you to be comfortable in our home and if what is happening is making you uncomfortable, then we need to back off some. Maybe in a few weeks or months you'll become more at ease, or maybe you won't.

"As long as you continue to love Sarah, as much as you do, then we can work around everything else."