Cancel All Our Vows Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Carole, look!" Marie shouted. "It's a real piano!"

"Let's go play it!" Carole said. Marie rushed to the piano and hoisted herself up onto the bench seat. Carole went for the violin. A moment later, Pachelbel's Canon in D Major was being played. Obviously these girls had been practicing together already; they were playing it very well for musicians of any age, much less nine- and eight-year-olds.

All the adults were spellbound. I observed Teresa lean into Todd as the music was played, and I took a cue from it and slid my arm around Laura's back. The boys listened politely, while Tasha seemed to be a lot more into it.

When they finished, everyone applauded. Then Carole began playing 'Happy Birthday To You' and everyone joined in singing it to Marie. Afterwards, Marie got up and hugged her parents and Selena, saying "Thank you... thank you... thank you."

"You earned it." Stephanie said as she hugged Marie back. "You've worked very hard on your music and your paintings."

"We'll open the rest of Marie's presents in the den." Selena said. After we looked around the room, being shown the soundproofing and the lighting, we retreated back to the main house. Not much could match a baby grand piano as a gift, but we tried, and Marie got a nice haul of gifts, including two basketballs from Tasha.

As usual, Carole's booklet was the most anticipated gift. It was done for Marie and therefore could not have been done by Marie, but it was still pretty decently drawn. The first page showed Marie playing her 'Schroeder' piano while Carole leaned on it like Lucy in the Peanuts comic strip. The accompanying words said "Marie and I hang out. Sometimes she plays the piano while I listen or play the violin."

The next page showed Marie drawing what would become the sculpture of 'The Iron Wolf and The Iron Crowbar'. (Author's note: 'The Wolf and The Moon', Ch. 02.) The words said "Marie also paints pictures and inspires other things, like statues." Teresa and I fist-bumped at that.

Next was a drawing of Marie and Carole with the Redoubtable Bowser between them, being petted by both girls. The words said "Bowser is Marie's hero. I think he's an awesome dog, too." That drew laughter from everyone.

The next drawing was of Carole and Marie with their mothers. The caption read "Marie's mommy and my mommy are college professors." The next page showed Marie and Selena, with the words "Marie doesn't have any brothers. I offered to give her mine, but she said she's all good because she has a great big sister." People 'ooh'ed and 'ahh'ed, especially when Marie hugged Selena. Jim looked at Carole a bit skeptically, and that's putting it mildly.

The next drawing showed Marie with Stephanie and Edward, and the words said "Marie says she is lucky because she was adopted by a great mom and dad, and she loves them very much." Stephanie began crying as she and Marie hugged, and Edward was working very hard to not get too emotional as he hugged his adopted daughter.

Afterwards, cake and ice cream were served. Marie blew out the nine candles on her basic pound cake, then other cakes were brought out and served, as well. And it was 'no contest' on who ate the most ice cream: Betsy Ross was the undisputed champion, putting away nearly an entire quart of the vanilla good stuff. Everyone else had a scoop from the other quart.

As we ate, I quietly asked Paulina "Did you invite Michael McGill to come? Edward would've been glad to see him and talk to him."

Paulina said a bit pensively: "I asked, and he declined. And we need to talk about it. But not here and not now..."

Part 7 - 'Come to Jesus', Part II

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, May 16th, from the Anchor Desk in the KXTC studios, as it was raining heavily outside. "The recount of the Allgood-Paulson race is finished, and a winner has been declared!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "Recounts are automatically triggered whenever there is less than one half of one percent difference in the vote count. A candidate can also ask for a recount if the results are less than two percent apart, but the candidate must pay for the recount. The Elections Board can refuse to recount anything over that percentage, unless the losing candidate can show compelling evidence of fraud or other problems with the vote count."

Bettina: "In the May 3rd primary for Mayor, incumbent Mayor Daniel Allgood defeated Town Assemblyman Ryan Paulson by just over two percent, 51.2 to 48.8%. Mr. Paulson refused to concede and demanded a recount, citing what appeared to be an abnormal burst in the count for Mayor Allgood as well as D.A. Walters in the late hours of the evening. When Mayor Allgood objected to a recount, Mr. Paulson and the Town & County Republican Committee filed suit to force a recount."

Bettina: "Judge Patrick R. Folsom ruled that there should be a recount, since it was a primary election which are controlled by the political Parties, and not the General Election, and the local Republican Party was asking for the recount. Mayor Allgood chose not to appeal the ruling, allowing the recount to proceed."

Bettina: "The results found twelve more votes for Mr. Paulson, nowhere near enough to change the outcome. Mayor Allgood was declared the winner. And now let's go to Pat Stellum, with more on the ongoing legal war between the University and the nascent State Medical College. Pat!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the fat-cheeked reporter, standing on the front lawn of University Hospital, with said Hospital in the distance barely visible in the driving rain. The umbrella he was holding was totally inadequate to the task of shielding him from the rain, and his soaked trenchcoat and hat showed it.

Stellum: "State Medical College President Laura W. Fredricson has fully rejected Judge Patrick R. Folsom's attempt to force her and Dr. Jerry Moore, President of the University, to settle their land claims through arbitration. She filed a complaint with the State Supreme Court against Judge Folsom, who was instructed to recuse himself from the case. Judge Rodney K. Watts was assigned the case, and has placed the hearing for the case on the Court calendar. It will be heard on Monday, the Sixth of June. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Pat." said Bettina. "And now let's go to KXTC meteorologist Diane Lawrence for more on this strong storm front moving through our area. Diane!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"No mention of Wade Garrett's death on Saturday." remarked Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone as she, Command Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, Sheriff Antonio Griswold, Commander Donald Troy (me), Assistant D.A. Paulina Patterson, and Chief Sean Moynahan drank coffee and watched the Bettina broadcast in the Chief's Conference Room. "I wonder why not."

All eyes were on me. I just shrugged, having no data, nor even a theory.

Cindy said "The question you should be asking is why Pat Stellum was standing in pouring down rain, looking totally miserable, and giving a report he could have made in the studio."

"And the answer is..." I replied, pitching the perfect softball.

Cindy said "Glad you asked. I heard from my secret source at KFXU that Bettina and Amber want to get rid of Pat Stellum, but firing him without cause would be messy. So they're going to make him miserable. I'd bet Bettina forced Stellum to go out there in the rain just to make that report in order to make him miserable."

"That's tough on his cameraman." I said. "And it reminds me of when Amber sent Keith Madden out to cover the same story over and over, then got him fired when he reported on the truth of the Media deception and staging in the case." (Author's note: 'Iscariot', Ch. 01, 04.)

"Very similar." said Cindy.

Paulina spoke up: "What I want to know is why Ryan Paulson and the TCRC (Town & County Republican Committee) went through all that to force a recount he was clearly going to lose. Ted Mason had a better shot if he'd asked for a recount against Miriam (Walters), but he conceded gracefully, and the TCRC had no problems with it, at least not that I know of."

Sheriff Griswold replied "I was told the TCRC did it to prove Daniel did not steal the race, especially after he was accused of doing so in the past. I'm not sure why Ryan Paulson was making an ass of himself, though."

"With respect, Sheriff, I have to completely disagree with that." I said. When everyone looked at me, my Angels bug-eyed with shock and the Sheriff wide-eyed with surprise, I said "I think the TCRC is lying to you, sir. They did it to weaken Daniel, not strengthen him."

"But why?" Cindy asked.

The Sheriff added: "Crowbar, I've long since figured out to never bet against you. On anything. But the TCRC told me that at our last meeting of the various Candidates last week. Why would they lie?"

I replied "First of all, let's look at who the TCRC leadership is made up of: Myrtle L. James. Ryan Paulson himself. Assemblyman Jeff Maple. J.P. Goldman, though he's retiring and leaving the Committee after the November elections. And who is not on the TCRC but should be? You. Mayor Allgood. Edward R. Steele."

Me: "The leadership of the TCRC either is Establishment, which is why true Conservatives are not on it; -or- they (TCRC leaders) have their own agenda and goals that Mayor Allgood is not fully aligned with."

Me: "As to Ryan Paulson and Ted Mason... Paulson may have been trying to get Daniel to waste money with an appeal, but Daniel didn't take the bait. Beyond that, Paulson is just bitter. The referendum on separating the Public Health Service from the Public Safety Department passed two-to-one. Paulson gave up his Assembly seat to push that one issue, and he's now just holding smoke."

Me: "Ted Mason needs a job, though. So he's conciliatory and didn't demand a recount. In fact, I'd imagine he cut a deal with Miriam Walters that he wouldn't contest the vote if she hires him back into the D.A.'s Office as an ADA."

"I did not tell him that." Paulina declared loudly. "And I don't know how he knows that truth."

"So now we're dealing with ADAs Ted Mason and Nadine Hall." said Teresa acerbically.

"Hey! What about me?" Paulina protested.

"We don't have to deal with you, Paulina." Teresa replied smoothly. "You work with us..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We watched the KFXU broadcast, which mentioned the death of Wade Garrett and really waxed eloquent on the recount results. They bashed Ryan Paulson really hard while saying good things about Ted Mason.

Afterwards, we conducted the Angels Meeting. Teresa had something to report: "Internal Affairs has wrapped up their investigation of the McElwane incident. The formal report is going to the Chief this morning, but I got a sneak preview... and it's a pretty damn unsatisfactory report, if you ask me."

"And I am asking you." I replied whimsically. "What's the result?"

Teresa said "They say they can't prove any seriously actionable wrongdoing by McElwane or Grant. They are recommending a reprimand for McElwane for the untimely filing of his Police report, and that the Police report and accompanying video data was not complete, including not accepting the radar lock the NCPD Officer got."

Teresa: "They are also strongly recommending that McElwane be put on 1st shift hours only, be completely disallowed from patrolling during evening or night hours, and that a superior Officer such as a Corporal or Sergeant be assigned to patrol with McElwane. They are also recommending that Mullen Grant be assigned to a superior Officer if and when he is assigned to vehicle patrols."

"That's it?" Cindy asked. "What about the altercation with Molly's Officer?"

Teresa: "They cannot find any proof that McElwane verbally or physically assaulted NCPD Officer Howard E. Neumann. It's just his word against McElwane's. You met Neumann during the Garrett case. Neumann is a punk who may be scared of his own shadow, and would be easily intimidated. So I.A. is going to ask the Chief to apologize to the NCPD Chief and her Officer but not admit wrongdoing."

Teresa: "I.A. will also recommend a strengthening of policy, and reminding everyone that University football players are not exempt from our laws, nor should they be treated differently than anyone else if and when committing infractions of the law. And it is more than a little possible that the TCPD Operations Commander (Teresa herself) is going to add a few words about checking for impaired driving as well as intoxication of college students under the age of 21, who legally should not be drinking alcoholic beverages."

"Well..." I said in my best Ronald-Reagan-imitation voice. Then in a normal voice I added: "I guess that's the best we could've expected. And I'm sure the Union will grieve it if and when we restrict McElwane to daylight hours, but I'll have no problem telling them to pound sand on that."

"So just what have we accomplished here?" Cindy said, with just a tinge of acerbity in her voice.

"What do you mean?" I asked levelly, my gray eyes boring into Cindy's ice-blue peepers.

"I mean, what was your purpose in all this, and what have you achieved towards the goal?" Cindy said fearlessly. "Are you targeting our School's athletes now?"

"Is that what you think this was?" I asked, my voice and my mood about to get ugly.

"He's not targeting athletes." Teresa said. "He's stopping the favoritism towards them. And what's more, if McElwane and others are protecting athletes driving drunk, then the Iron Crowbar is not who they need to be worrying about."

"I'm also doing what I can to protect this Police Force from the rabidly hateful biased, dishonest, and corrupt Press." I said. "And worse, if one of those drunk driving athletes ends up killing someone, the Press will be the least of our legal worries if we let this crap continue. But don't get me wrong: the Press and the legal issues are not my first worry. Keeping innocents from being wiped out by drunk drivers is my first worry."

"Mine, too." Teresa said helpfully.

I finished up: "So you're damn right I'm making sure your School's athletes are treated no better and no worse than anyone and everyone else. And I would expect that you feel the same way."

"Of course." Cindy said as she got up. "I'll be getting back to work now, protecting and serving, serving and protecting." With that she exited the office, and my other Angels followed her example within one minute...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:30am, Monday, May 16th. The clouds seemed to get darker and lower, and the sheets of rain continued off and on. My office felt like it was night, and the harsh light of the fluorescent ceiling light felt strangely irritating.

Paulina Patterson came to my office, and I heard her tell my assistant Helena French to hold all my calls. Paulina shut the door behind her as I told her to get coffee if she wanted some, but she declined and sat down in the near-side 'hot chair'.

"I told you last week at the Steele's housewarming party that we needed to talk, but we never got to, what with your case and all." Paulina said. "And now it's even more urgent that we do."

"Sure." I said. "But it can't wait for lunch or something?"

"I'm not even going back to City Hall in this weather." Paulina said. "At least that's what I'm telling Miriam right now. So it's a good time to talk, if you're not too busy."

"Nothing that can't wait two hours." I replied.

Paulina said "First of all, you were talking about the Town & County Republican Committee in the coffee klatch. Michael (McGill) was at that meeting the other day, that the Sheriff mentioned, since he's now officially the Republican nominee for Solicitor. One of the things they talked about was ads. Someone suggested that an ad be made of Tasha saying 'vote for Grandpa Grizz'. Michael is a little bit ticked off at that, especially since you said you didn't want Tasha to appear with him, Michael, in any ads."

I said "Well... first of all, I'm sure you saw at the time that that was spontaneous. Tasha broke away from you to run up to me on the stage. I didn't mean for the Sheriff to have her speak into the microphone, and it happened and was a done deal before I could stop it. It was a one-time thing."

Me: "Second, the Sheriff did tell me that they wanted to make ads out of that, and he told them he'd have to get her parents's permission... and I told him what I told Michael: it's your call, but I'd rather Tasha not be in political ads, not even the Sheriff's ads. What, was Michael complaining about it?"

Paulina replied "He brought it up, and he said if you allowed Tasha to be in the Sheriff's ads, he (Michael) wants me to sanction Tasha to be in ads with me and him."

I scowled a bit as I said "What, does he think she's -his- daughter or something?"

"No." Paulina said. Then she hit me with it: "But that'll segue into part two of what I need to talk to you about. As you know, Michael and I have been seriously dating for months. I've even broken off my... relationship... with Laura, which was more serious than playing with you."

I nodded, and Paulina said "It's been discreet so far. Michael has not spent the night with me while Tasha was at home with me; Tasha spends the weekends with you and your family on weekends and the occasional weeknights, and that's when Michael stays with me or I stay at his place."

Paulina: "Bu-ut... that might be about to change. I've been working with him on his campaign, and we sometimes go late into the night. He and I talked about it over the weekend, and he brought up staying with me overnight... while Tasha was at home. And that led to a more serious discussion of our relationship, including bringing up the 'm'-word, marriage."

Paulina: "We're not quite there yet, but if things keep going the way they are, next year might be different. And we likely will move in together even if we don't get married, and that'll be a big adjustment for Tasha."

I said "And all that between you and Michael is fine with me, as if you need my blessing. But I think you can see as well as I do that Tasha benefits from being with her brothers and sisters... Marie being Carole and Tasha's sister, for all intents and purposes. And if I have to, I'll invoke the 'cat' card and talk about Tiger Mom and her fellow felines, and Tasha's love for them." Paulina chuckled at that.

I finished my thought: "So I'm going to expect continued joint custody, and what we're doing now is working well, so I'll want it to continue. You have no idea how much it hurts me that I cannot see Greta, and I absolutely don't want a repeat of that in my life."

Paulina nodded, then said "What does Laura think of that? Of everything?"

"She treats Ross, Ian, and Tasha like they're her own children. Marie, too." I said. "Laura has never voiced a complaint. If anything, her biggest issues are over her own child, Carole."

Paulina said "And how does she feel about split time between The Cabin and the Mountain Nest?"

It hit me. I felt a physical jolt to my system. I realized what Paulina was really hinting at. Laura had always preferred the Mountain Nest to The Cabin, but she went along with the split time because Laura and I had agreed to not have sexual relations with others at the Mountain Nest, and so The Cabin was where she and Paulina carried on their liaisons, as well as our threesomes.

But now Paulina was telling me that her more-than-friends relationship with Laura was being replaced by Michael McGill, and that might have ramifications and repercussion for all of us.

I said "I guess you need to talk to Tasha about this, and that Michael might be staying with you overnight. And I'll be telling her that she'll be staying with us at least as much as she has been..."