All Comments on 'Cassandra'

by teddy2horse

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
H.H.MorantH.H.Morantover 14 years ago
"The only good thing I got out of Vietnam ...

<html xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"

xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"

xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>

<meta name=Title content="">

<meta name=Keywords content="">

<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=macintosh">

<meta name=ProgId content=Word.Document>

<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11">

</style>

</head>

<body bgcolor=white lang=EN-US style='tab-interval:.5in'>

<div class=Section1>

<p class=MsoNormal>... was me."<o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=MsoNormal>That remark was made to me by a high school classmate who

flew helicopters there. <o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=MsoNormal>He is a deeply conservative man fiscally and socially –

but (like just about everybody else I know who actually got shot at a lot in

Vietnam) he has no use for the wars of choice Bush got us into – or failed

to prosecute when winnable (Afghanistan)<o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]><o:p></o:p></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
thank you

As a child of a wounded Viet Nam Vet who came home with a body but left his spirit I would like to thankyou for this story. Many gave their lives to protect us and other GIs. But all left pieces of their souls in that horrid place. Their love was immeasureable!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
So Sad

Your story brought tears to my eyes. Such needless pain that stupid war brought. The young men and women that served should never be forgotten.

JasonHalsteadJasonHalsteadabout 13 years ago
I was disappointed

Not by the fact that Charlie died, rather at the large lack of patriotism displayed by the cast of characters. True to the time and the deplorable state of American civilian support for their country and soldiers though. It's still something that sets a fire in my stomach even thinking about it.

jenellesljenelleslover 11 years ago
Warrior's Home

As a Vietnam Vet, I have to say this was the toughest read I've done. I knew Charlie or his cousin or brother you know. Once you put on the uniform, you are all brothers and sisters. I've had the privilege to meet a couple of those angels, fortunately, not professionally.

I also have met not only some Cassandras, but Charlie's son as well. It's really difficult to go to The Wall with them. Charlie is there and so is Sharon Lane, one of the angels who died trying to evacuate just one more wounded.

I can feel, this had to be even tougher to write, but you got it done properly. God Bless you and thank you for keeping the memories of real heroes alive.

This was a first class love story.

carnut44carnut44over 11 years ago
Well Done

I love you for your beautiful, well-written story; and I hate you for bringing it all back again so vividly. After 45 years, I thought I had put it mostly behind me.....

OleguyOleguyalmost 11 years ago
This is hard to write.

My eyes are running over, my nose is full and I am overcome yet again by one of your wonderful stories.

You are a champion.!

oldwayneoldwaynealmost 10 years ago
Lyndon lied and thousands upon thousands died!

We were young then and foolishly believed in God and country, holding duty and honor above all other ideals. In Viet Nam, America lost its innocence. It was there that those words, which had inspired our country's heroes for generations, DUTY, HONOR, and COUNTRY ceased to have the same meaning anymore.

Your depiction of that time was spot on. It was such a painful reminder, but you did it so well.

jenellesljenelleslover 9 years ago
58,000 Names on The Wall

I had a friend who was one of those nurses. I have no idea how she did her two tours. She was always saving lives and saved one of my friends from killing himself. Thirty plus years later she blew her own brains out and added her name to those on The Wall.

How many Cassandras were there? One is to many. This was hard to read and harder to reread. You are a superb writer. We were young and foolish then. I'm not young anymore and I cry to see what they're doing to our children and grandchildren. Every member of Congress and the administration should read this aloud to their own families before they send one more of our kids over there.

You nailed this and you nailed the times.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Very hardd to read to read with dry eyes

Thousands of these events Happened

You expressed well

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Thank you to ALL our Veterans. A great story.

Wives unfortunately have the ugliest part of all. Living through and carry on. Thank you also.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous