Catering Girl Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GinnyPPC
GinnyPPC
851 Followers

As I rang the doorbell, I noticed I was picking my finger again. Got to stop that habit one of these days. The deadbolt slid out of its chamber and the door creaked open.

"Jennifer, good to see you, come on in."

"Thanks Edith. How are you and Ben?" She led me down the hall to the living room. "We're doing well. Ben is out of town for a couple of days. All the partners are having a planning meeting. He's trying to lay down groundwork for passing the baton on. It's hard for him. He built the firm up from nothing and leaving is going to be hard. How are you? And how is your precious little one doing?"

"Madi is doing great. I think she is finally making some peace with losing her daddy. She has had no nightmares about it for a month now. We got her talking to a child therapist, and that has been helpful. She's not had an easy life. I'm hoping things will settle down."

"Let's hope. And how are your classes?"

"Doing well. It's a lot, between working full time, being a mom, and taking classes. But it's worth it, I think. Whitney's been so helpful. She works from home in the evening while I'm in class, so she can watch Madison. I don't think I could do it without her."

"She cares a lot for you. And your precious little one."

"I know."

"So, what did you want to talk about?"

"About Whitney. I was wondering if..."

Edith and I spent an hour talking. We covered several questions about how Whit grew up, and I got some key insights into how she is. Mainly confirmation of what I had already figured out. It put my mind at ease. Edith surprised me with one thing though, something that's going to help me a lot with my plans.

_|/_

"Relax, you are going to do fine today. You did a full test run two weeks ago and finished. You got this." I was rubbing her shoulders as we waited in the check in line for the marathon. I could tell she was tense. When Silas let it slip earlier this week that most of the family was going to come out and cheer her on, well, that caused her to get the jitters.

The registration assistant entered her bib number and recorded it, and motioned her to proceed. I gave a final once over to make sure everything was in place.

"You got a full bladder of water in the back, and your vest pockets have the energy gel you like."

"Thanks babe. Am I really going to do this?"

"Yes, you are, and you're going to rock." I slid a hand around the back of her neck and pulled her into a big embrace. I probably would have kissed her longer, except for the hoots and hollers of the surrounding people. I had paid no attention to them until now.

I sheepishly looked around and saw a couple of guys standing next to each other in matching rainbow running attire. They gave us a couple of thumbs up and we smiled back at them.

"Don't stop because of us," the taller one said.

"She'd better or she'll take all my energy."

That was the first time I'd seen her smile all morning.

"First time doing a marathon?"

"Second, but I did not finish last year." Whit put her arm around me, "but this year I have a cheering section."

"Well, if you like, you can stick with us. We run at a little under a five-hour pace."

"That's about my target time as well. If you don't mind, I'll at least start with you, and we can see."

"Hey Whit, I'm going to head out and find your folks and Little Miss. We'll track you via your watch and the app on my phone. I'll text you when you are getting close to where we are so you can look out for us, okay?"

"Text on watch, got it."

"Oh, and honey?"

"Yeah babe?"

"If you run out of mental energy, I put your locket in the zip pouch on the left shoulder strap. Just give it a rub. I put some extra love in there for you today. But no peeking at it until the end of the race."

"Thanks." I got one more hug, a long kiss, and headed out to find the rest of the Whitney Mitchell cheer squad.

Whitney

I watched Jennifer slowly blend into the crowd and disappear. Her cute buns were the last thing I saw.

"You two are so cute." It was the shorter of the gay couple. "I'm Brad, by the way. This is my husband Gabe."

"Whitney. And the cute blonde who just left, I hope to make my wife someday." I realized I had a goofy grin on my face, and I didn't care at all. It was the first time I had vocalized what I had been thinking for a long time. Maybe it was time to broach that with her. Something to think about while I ran.

It didn't take long before the marshals herded us to the starting area. I stayed in the back with Brad and Gabe. No sense being mowed over by the more hardcore crowd.

The starting air horn blasted indicating the start. The herd moved, slowly at first, until there was enough room for us to jog. The weather was perfect in my book for a long run. Cool, crisp but amazingly enough for Seattle in November, not raining.

It was uncomfortable to be running without my ear buds, but they were not allowed during the race. Brad though made up for it. He was a talker. Gabe looked at me and shrugged at one point. Since I was used to running solo, I wasn't used to talking while running. I let Brad ramble on for a while and let my mind wander.

Their pace was close to mine, maybe a tad slower. I found out they had been doing the race for over ten years, and they met in a LGBT+ running group while both were training for their first marathon.

There were about 20 people in their group, of which half or so would show up on any given Saturday. A few others from their group joined us and there was a merry crowd running together. I ended up running more with a lesbian couple who were about my age. One was a fifth grade teacher at Madi's school, so it was nice to get to know her.

My watch chirped.

Jennifer: Stay strong, you can do this! 😊

I smiled at the encouragement. For those who know the Seattle marathon route, at about the five and half mile marker, we break off from a large circular shape route and begin a long out and back stretch. The course runs along Lake Washington, makes a loop in Seward Park, and then doubles back and joins back up to the circular route. It was a little way into this out and back part when my watch chirped with another text from Jenn.

There was another motivational message for me, and also letting me know they were around the corner on my right. Sure enough, there was Jenn, Madi, and my parents. Both my uncles and aunts were there as well. I waved as I ran past, with my uncles clanging some cow bells to cheer me on. Jenn was holding up a sign saying "You can do it!" Madison had another, "When you need us, touch your locket." Reflexively, I touched the spot where the locket was zipped into my shoulder strap. I could feel a small boost of energy, and I powered on.

"That your girl with the sign?" one of my new running mates asked.

Trying to keep my breathing going, "Yep, and her daughter. Much of my family was there cheering me on as well. The obnoxious ones with the cowbells are my uncles." I spent the next mile or so telling them how I had tried on my own to complete the race last year, but couldn't make it. This year, I had support and didn't feel like the weight of the world was on me.

We hit the park where the loop was, and it was a pleasant stretch. The park is a peninsula in the lake, and we ran around the outer edge. We could see a few hardy boaters on the water. A bald eagle was soaring over the lake and dove to get a fish. I could almost feel its strength as it lifted its catch and gracefully flew away.

Running through the park, my phone dinged again. I had lost count of how many texts I had received from her now.

Jennifer: You can do this sexy!

I smiled as I visualized her smile. I could see her flicking some hair behind her ear. Again, I touched my shoulder strap and felt the locket. The surge of mental energy it brought me was amazing. It helped me remember I was loved and cared for.

As we cleared the park and resumed running along Lake Washington, Brad and Gabe came alongside of me.

"So, that cute blonde, she's the one?"

"Yes." I could feel the goofy smile from earlier cross my face.

"I could tell, your smile is the same one Brad has for me. How long have you been together? You asked her yet?"

"It will be a year next month. And no, I've not popped the question, yet."

"Well, take my advice," Brad said. "Don't wait. If she is the one, ask her. Best thing I ever did was say yes to Gabe."

I looked over at his partner, who was huffing with a big smile on his face. I looked back at the course as we passed a small group. My hand touched the locket, and I could see an image of Jenn holding up her hand admiring the new ring on it. Madi was in the background, doing a happy dance.

"Christmas, that's the perfect time." I mumbled; my brain half lost in thought.

"There you go," said Brad.

As we passed the aid station where I collapsed last year, my phone dinged again.

Jennifer: Hang in there babe, you got this! 😊

Another reminder of how awesome my Jenn is. Thoughts of us together, growing old, seeing Madison off to her prom, and other life events carried me on for the next few miles. That and the support texts every fifteen to twenty minutes.

As the course rounded a bend and I could see the Space Needle soaring above Lake Union.

Jennifer: We're all waiting for you at the finish line. You can do it. Don't forget your locket.

The locket gave me another boost of energy. I was amazed at how well I was doing. Way better than any of my training runs. Realistically, I knew it wasn't the locket itself, but what it stood for. It was a stand in for us. That cute catering girl, who I now got to snuggle up with each night, wanted to be with me. And her daughter too.

A question crossed my mind, would I be able to wait until Christmas to ask her? That was going to be tough. Harder than this race.

Jennifer: You'll see us on your left as you approach the finish line.

Sure enough, there they were. Jenn and Madi were right on the barricade, cheering me on. Mom, Dad, and my aunts and uncles were right behind them. I gave my girls a high five as I passed them, and then moments later crossed the finish line.

I spent the next couple of minutes doing a cooldown walk, while sipping some water. I saw Brad and Gabe trying to get my attention.

"Good luck Whitney, it was fun running with you. You're more than welcome to join our running club if you like, here's our numbers."

A hastily written set of phone numbers on a scrap of paper was pressed into my hands.

I made my way over to where I said I would meet Jenn after the race. She was there and Madi was bouncing all around. I don't think I've ever seen her so excited before. Way more than months ago, on her birthday in the bounce houses. Mom, Dad, and my relatives were a few feet away talking but watching us.

"Congrats dear." She looked me over and gave me a side hug. "You're a sweaty mess."

"Did you expect something different?"

"Not really. How're you doing?"

"Tired, but not as much as I thought."

"Did you touch your locket?" A bouncing five-year-old asked.

"I sure did, munchkin. It was nice of you and mommy to put some love in it for me."

"Did you open it up Miss Whitney?"

"No. Should I have?"

"Can she open it now, Mommy? Please?" Those little eyes were begging for all they were worth.

"Okay, pumpkin."

"You're going to love it Miss Whitney, it's special."

I fumbled with the zipper when Jenn swooped in and gave me a hand.

"Let me help you babe."

I watched as she carefully pulled it out and undid the clasp, barely so it was open, but the sides were still together. I looked at her and she had her lower lip curled under her teeth. Madi was still bouncing around and clapping her hands.

Carefully, I opened the locket. The first thing I saw was a carefully folded piece of paper. I lifted it out and my eyes went wide.

"Jennifer?!?"

"Say yes, Miss Whitney, say yes!" squealed a little girl.

Her squeal was drowned out by one from a thirty-year-old woman. I couldn't believe it was coming from me.

"How did you get Grandma's ring?" I said, as I finally collected my thoughts and looked up. But my eyes didn't fully make it up. In front of me, was Jennifer on a knee, reaching out to take my hand. I could see her tear up.

"Whitney, m-m-m-y love, will you marry me? Will you be my forever girl?" the emotion behind her words was almost preventing them from coming out.

"I want nothing more than to be your forever girl, Jenn." I watched as she stood up and took the ring from the palm of my right hand, then turned my left hand over and slipped it on. It fit perfectly.

The tears rolled down my face as she pressed her lips to mine. I could hear my uncles giving fake coughs, but we ignored them.

But there was one voice I couldn't ignore.

"Are you going to read my note, Miss Whitney?" Madi was standing there, her hands folded together, looking at us with eager anticipation.

"Oh right, the paper in the locket." As I carefully opened the note, I saw a sparkle on my hand as the sun caught grandma's diamond.

The note was carefully written in pencil on thin paper. The letters were in block letters of a small child, with the cases all mixed up.

~~

WhiTNeY,

Will YOU BE My MAMA?

MADisoN

~~

I pursed my lips and squinted as I attempted to hold it together. I looked at Jenn who just smiled and nodded her head at me.

I got down on a knee and held my arms out. Madison dove into them and I hugged my daughter-to-be for the first time.

"Madi, there's nothing more in this world that I want than to be your Mama. Do you know what that means?"

"That you'll love me and Mommy forever."

"Forever munchkin. For-ev-er."

"And we get to live with you forever?"

"Yes my munchkin, forever and ever."

This earned me another hug. I was never going to get tired of Mama-Daughter hugs.

"Congratulations you two," Dad's grin went from ear to ear.

Mom walked over to Jenn and hugged her. "Welcome to the family dear, I'm so excited for you two."

We got more hugs and congrats from Silas and Kathleen, and Ruben and Helen. Turns out they were all in on Jenn's plan, and it was why they came to the race. Both Kathleen and Helen had their cameras out and caught the whole thing. I had Helen take a picture with my phone that Jenn had carried for me during the race. Jenn and I crouched down, so we were on an even height with Madison and got a family picture, with Madi making a big deal of pointing to my ring.

I texted it out, and I don't think thirty seconds passed when my phone rang.

"Whitne-e-e-y!" screamed Molly through the phone. Of course, I had to take a few minutes to fill her in on the details. And, of course, ask her to be my maid of honor.

Even though I was thoroughly exhausted from the marathon, I was floating on air as we walked back to Jenn's car. I saw Brad and Gabe getting into theirs, a few cars down the lot.

"Brad! Gabe!" I hollered to them, dragging Jenn with me as I floated over and stuck out my left hand.

"E-e-e-e!" Brad ran over to me and gave me a hug.

Gabe was a bit more reserved, or maybe simply more tired. He walked over and shook our hands. "Congratulations you two."

Madi, being shy at the moment around two new people, climbed up into Jenn's arms.

Gabe reached out and tousled her hair. "Are you happy too?"

Madison smiled. She held out her hand and extended two fingers. "I get to have two mommies. That's double the snuggles!" We all had a laugh, said goodbye, and headed for our cars.

By the time we got home, the adrenaline of the day had worn off, and it was all I could do to head upstairs and take a shower. As we left the Seattle Center where the race ended, Dad had invited everyone to his favorite restaurant for dinner.

I was leaving our bedroom, and about to head downstairs so we could go to dinner, when I heard Madi call my name.

"Can you help me tie my shoes?" she pleaded.

"Of course, Munchkin." I bent down, gingerly, and tied her shoes for her.

"Thanks Miss Whitney."

She looked all cute in the dress and tights she picked out. That, surprisingly for a soon to be kindergartener, matched reasonably well. Then she did something I had never seen her do before. Like her mother, she flicked her hair behind her ear.

"Madison, you look so cute in that dress. We should get you a hair bow. It would go so well with that dress and help keep the hair out of your face."

"No hair bows!" Jenn stomped her foot from the doorway.

I jumped and glimpsed the flashing of a stink eye. I recoiled a bit.

"They're only good on bubbly cheerleader types with names like Stephanie or Kayla. Not on skater chicks." Jenn bent down and adjusted Madison's dress for a moment. "Vans and a dress. Proper and righteous."

She looked up at my stunned face. "Sorry, that came off stronger than I intended. If we have a daughter together, we can put her in a hair bow. Or at least have that conversation."

"So, more kids are in our future?" I asked eagerly.

"I hated being an only child. I don't know about you."

"Being an only child sucked. Something to discuss at a later date. For now, off to dinner with the family."

_|/_

"Ok mystery woman, were we going?" I looked at Jenn as we pulled out of my parents' driveway. We had dropped off the munchkin with my folks as Dad was taking her crabbing tomorrow. The Department of Fish and Wildlife opened a small winter crab window for a couple of days after being closed for years. Dad would not miss his chance. And of course, his new favorite helper wouldn't miss a chance either. So, they were going to be spending the night on the Miss Whitney to be super ready at the crack of dawn.

"Just go home. What were you expecting, some sort of big surprise from me? Wasn't a ring last Sunday enough for your surprise quotient for a while?"

I was hopeful, but not really expecting anything. The last week had been exciting enough. Molly had barged in Monday evening as we were finishing supper and was all excited for us. She was miffed I got hardware before her, but if I got the clues right from what Dylan had said a couple weeks prior when they were over for dinner, she could probably expect hers to appear over the holidays.

Of course, the gossip mill at work was going a mile a minute when people got word that the boss's daughter was engaged. I think Jenn got a bit of a hard time; several of the deck hands still wanted a shot at her. Fat chance on their parts.

We had also gone out looking for a ring for her. As I had expected, a simple solitaire was what she wanted. My concentration was refocused on Jenn, as she smiled and flashed her dimples at me while she pulled the car into our driveway. As we climbed the stairs, I turned to go into the living room.

"Um, where do you think you're going, young lady?" On one hand, the tone was that of scolding mommy, on the other, her face and body language said sexy kitten.

"Um, I was just going--" I thought fast "--to put my keys on the table?"

"Your presence is needed upstairs. There's still a surprise for you."

With a quick flick of her wrist, she tucked a few dirty blonde wisps behind her ear, turned, and sprinted up the stairs. I tried to follow, but I was mesmerized by the sight of those tight cute jean clad buns. The cobwebs in my head cleared, and I started up the stairs.

When I entered our bedroom, I found my surprise. There, draped across my bed, was the sexiest woman I had ever seen. She was lying on her side, with one arm bent, holding up her head. She had shed her clothes and had on a lilac bra and panty set. I had never seen her in anything other than her simple cotton bralette and boxers.

GinnyPPC
GinnyPPC
851 Followers