Centaur Love Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He spent the morning practicing his sword work wearing only his practice leathers. Felicia still wore her scale mail and Mathew found out what his Uncle meant when he said he didn't want to teleport iron. She would soon have to lose her steel armor or it would ground out her growing magical reserves. Talking with Sir Fellis about that, he found out her suit was custom made in Midvale. They could order one when they visited, or they talked about seeing if the elven armorer could come up with something since Mathew was planning on buying all new gear when they reached Woodsheart.

After the pot luck type lunch Sir Fellis gathered everyone and started talking about the goblin attack and what information Mage Elite Robert had passed along. The general consensus was not wanting to get involved. Which Sir Fellis had feared? Mathew listened to them argue that since they already defeated the goblin army that they didn't need to worry about them. Sir Fellis tried to explain that the army the valley faced was only a scouting party and if the major army wasn't destroyed, they would return. Many just wanted to send the high King a letter requesting aid.

Mathew let them argue till he thought they were just rehashing the same points over and over. He looked at Felicia and she nodded. He stood and quietly walked upfront. And waited while everyone noticed him.

"I know everyone here thinks we defeated the goblin's attack and they won't return. This is where you are wrong. That was a scouting party. Yes, we showed them that there were people here to defend the road west. But we also showed them we are it, they came here looking for a way to bypass the Mid-Mounts and those narrow passes, now they know they have a good road directly onto the middle plains and Midvale. The Mage Elite Robert told us that once the army finishes taking out all the human coastal towns that they would come back and fight their way to the Middle plains road. And we are right in their path. So it behooves us to help Sir Fellis to organize a trip to Midvale.

I will take him to Woodsheart, where he and I will talk to the Elven Eldar into joining up with Centaur people hoping to eradicate this army. We can attempt this fight separately or join forces and assure our victory. And for those that think the High King will sail west and save us, he is on the northern continent dealing with an ogre uprising. And even if he can quiet that down and sail south with his army, he still has his own Goblin army on the eastern side of the mountain to deal with. And right at this moment, it is moving northwards towards his capital.

We people are on our own. If we do nothing that army on the north coast will soon finish ravishing the northern coastal towns and when they do, they will head south. They already tried Woodshome and found it too tough, without laying siege to the Elven forest. That means they will look for ways around the mid-mount passes, and I think they found it, our valley and road that leads directly to Midvale. If we don't join, Elves and Centaurs they will pick us off one by one. We need to organize now to prevent that.

With that said, he walked back to sit next to Felicia. Seeing that the mood had changed, Sir Fellis purposed that they gather supplies and prepare to move all non-essential people to Midvale. Everyone nodded yes, and they started talking among themselves on just who would leave the valley.

"All right People," Sir Fellis called after giving them several minutes to talk, "I suggest all come up some thoughts of who should stay and who should temporally be moved to Midvale for safety. I say we should gather tomorrow after our workday and decide who should stay and who should go."

With that said, everyone gathered their things. Mathew helped Felicia gather up their things to get ready to go home. Sir Fellis walked up, "Mathew, when do you want to leave for Woodshome?"

"I would say the day after tomorrow. Tonight's the new moon and I have to prepare for my Uncle to come and get our Dragon Claw root."

"Fair enough, how many do you think you can take? And how close to Woodsheart can you teleport us too?"

"The few of us as possible Sir, I don't want to overburden my spell. And to how close I was planning on just outside the forest. Since I couldn't see any clearings from my Far See spell that I could tell was near the main road in or I could safely land in."

Sir Fellis nodded in thought, "Just outside the forest, hum. It should take us a day and a half to run to Woodsheart. I think Tarn and I and two of our pack horses, would that be too much?"

"No Sir," Mathew replied looking at the sky trying to read it for the weather to come.

"I will pack the horses with enough food for us four and a simple tarp in case of inclement weather. But pack a couple of nice sets of clothes, we will probably be in Woodsheart for a couple of days. Then we can buy enough food for our return journey."

"That won't be necessary Sir I can take us home directly from Woodsheart. I know where I am going from there."

"I will send the boys up tomorrow to get your cart horse and will have Rullis take care of her while you are gone."

"I appreciate that, Sir."

Felicia walked up with their things. With only one free hand she reached out, putting it on her Father's chest, bowing her head. Sir Fellis reached down and touched her cheek. "I miss you, my daughter, tell me are you happy?"

"Very much so Daddy."

"And does this man treat you right, my daughter?"

"Yes, Daddy, he does. Not as good as you, but no man could ever live up to be good as you."

Sir Fellis laughed, then lean down to kissed Felicia's cheek, "I do miss our evenings together my daughter." Seeing Tarn and Rullis standing near, "Your brothers still cannot live up to your wits, my daughter."

"Told you he loves the runt more than us."

Naturally, it is because she is a tiny girl."

"It's because she is prettier than both of you," Mathew said.

"Look who is talking, the half centaur."

Mathew grinned, "You say something ponyboy?"

"Tarn, Rullis! Daddy, make them stop."

Sir Fellis laughed and ruffled Felicia's hair, "Daughter, the men in your life tease each other. That is how they show their love for each other. And your mate, he can hold his own." Turning, he put an arm around his sons. "Actually boys, I love you more than Felicia, at least I don't have to lean down to give you two hugs."

"Daddy!"

Sir Fellis laughed and blew her a kiss.

"Mathew!"

"What can I do, they are all three bigger than me!" Mathew said then quickly stepped away from Felicia fearing for his life.

Felicia pulled the spoon out of the bowl and waved it at Mathew, "Eww you will pay for that one my mate"

Mathew teleported them home, once he helped Felicia out of her armor he asked, Pond or shower?

"Pond but I want to bring some shampoo, I want to wash my hair."

It only took three-hand slaps for Mathew to get the idea that both of them were still a little sore from the other day. Once back at the house Mathew went into the kitchen as Felicia was brushing her hair and already said no to his offer to help. He smiled at that. Another one or two hand slaps might have been worth it. With all the fresh vegetables needing to be used. He started a big pot of beef stew. They would send any fresh vegetables leftover with Rullis for Perth. Mathew was chopping potatoes when Felicia came in. "What can I do to help?"

Once they loaded the pot with enough beef and vegetables Mathew started pulling everything perishable into a box. "What is that for Mathew?"

I was going to send anything that can spoil down to your mother."

"Oh! Mother will be happy to get anything fresh. Nothing in the garden is producing yet. That is why she was so interested in being able to get things from our store in Kingsholm."

Mathew thought about it. He had seen some newer models of the book and a crystal ball. Most now came with charging stones along the sides. Now if they made a beacon stone that sat on a charging stone, all they would have to do is drop by and charge it once in a while. While he was thinking the pot started to boil and he unconsciously adjusted the heat dampener.

As he was staring into the nothing, when Felicia asked, "Do you think we could send a couple of bottles of preserves to mother as well?"

"Huh?"

"Your special preserves, that you fed me the other day, 'oranges'. Can we send her one or two jars?"

Mathew looked at Felicia. She had piled everything into a preserve crate. Shaking his head, he pulled out two jars and fought for a place to put them. He gave up and set it beside the crate. They settled back in the front room, Mathew went in and pulled his mother's farm diary. She had written over the years keeping track of everything that they had done to the orchard. Going backward, he found where she took over from Grandfather. He had listed the week to week doings of the farm as well. He jumped back to the end, looking for the crop rotations. Once he found the first time they rotated rows, he slowed down and started reading.

"Mathew do you want to eat dinner?"

Mathew looked up. It was already dark and Felicia had lit a lamp sometime earlier. Hearing his stomach rumble, he smiled at her. Felicia laughed, "Oh my stallion."

They got up and headed to the kitchen. The fire in the stove had burnt out hours ago but the thick cast-iron pot held the heat simmering the extra thick stew. Felicia pulled the last loaf of bread from the bread box. As she sliced it he saw it was extra crusty, just the way he liked it. As they ate Felicia asked what they would be doing tonight.

He was describing how they would go down the rows of strings moving the colored clips looking to see how much or little they glowed. Black clips for those that didn't glow at all to a white clip if it still completely glowed. There were five shades, one's in-between. After dinner, Mathew went outside to check the sky. The stars were just starting to come out. So he went in, to get dressed. He had Felicia dress in one of his mother's old work shirts, her horse half he draped an old sheet over her, then belted it around her tiny waist.

He pulled a small travelers lantern out of a cupboard and filled the lantern part with oil. Felicia watched as he touched the red stone encased at the top of the lantern. As he said the spell she recognized it as one of the farm charm spells listed the book he gave her to read. After lighting the lamp, he put it into its travel box. Instead of clear glass, the travel case had a black-colored glass. Once the lantern itself was sealed inside, it shined a dark green that barely gave off any light.

In the dark barn, she could finally tell the little lantern gave off just enough light so she could see to walk around. Inside the drying room, he clipped the Lantern to a string attached to the roof. He pulled it up to the ceiling, bathing the room in an eerie dark green glow. Looking at the strings of Dragon Claw root she could see a faint whitish glow coming from them. Mathew pulled a box with her name written on it. "Now before you put your gloves on pull your hair into a tight bun. Once you put these gloves on you cannot under no circumstances touch your face or wipe your head."

"But what if my nose itches?"

Mathew laughed, "Sorry dear, it will, but you will just have to grin and bear it. We all do."

"Can't I rub it on my shoulder or arm?"

"No, you have to consider these clothes as poisonous once we start working. We will strip them off and put them in a tub of disinfectant, then we have to shower without touching anything inside the house. That is why I left the water closet door open and a hand cloth on the front door handle." Mathew pulled a large wooden tub out and set it up outside the drying room. Then used several buckets of water mixed with a dry powder from a jar sitting on the self.

Mathew showed how to put on and pull off the gloves, pointing out not to let them touch the sides or rim of the box. Then he found the white stone on the wall and opened the potion safe. He took out two doses of super heals and set them on the bench. "Now Felicia, this is very important, if I start to cough and gasp for breath, I want you not to panic, but go and de-glove like I showed you. Then take one of these super heals and drink it. ALL of it. Don't stop until you completely drink the small vial. Then and only after you drank yours do you take the second one and give it to me."

"But your choking shouldn't I give you yours first?"

"No dear, because that means I accidentally broke a root open, and I inhaled some of the barks enzymes. That means some of it is flying around the room and could affect you. That is why you self-medicate first, that protects you when you come to administer the potion to me. You have plenty of time. So don't panic. Working with the root means you are going to have to deal with this. I had to drink the stuff two times now, once when I broke a rootling and once when my mom did.

Mathew put on his gloves, then watched Felicia do the same. At the far end he stated pulling black, purple, green, yellow, and some white clips from an empty string. He clipped all of them to one wrist guard and pulled the same for Felicia. Showing her how to clip them on. He started on the first row, taking the inside and Felicia taking the outside. There were five strings per row, the first being head height. Pointing to the first root cluster, he asked, "How much is still glowing?"

Felicia frowned, looking at it. Mathew pointed at the clips saying, "White is all of it is glowing, yellow is seventy-five percent, green is fifty, purple is twenty-five and black is none."

Only about a quarter of it was still glowing so she said, "twenty-five percent."

"Yes, so that means you change the clip to...,"

"Purple!" Felicia shouted.

Mathew nodded yes, and she reached in and pulled the green clip and put a purple one next to it.

"Now the next one."

As Felicia was examining it Mathew quickly started replacing the clips on the lower four strings as she was trying to guess this one. It was just a touch under half. "If it isn't a full quarter but less than half, we err on the side of caution and leave it green."

Felicia smiled but changed the clip of the one below it before Mathew could.

"Ok, smartypants, next one, and you now have the top and second row."

Felicia grinned and changed the clip on the next root cluster, "I can't be a smarty pants I am not wearing pants." Looking down, smarty dress?"

Mathew laughed, "Ok you got me there."

They started another row and Felicia asked, "So if Dragon Claw root is a major ingredient in a healing potion, how can it be so poisonous at this stage?"

Mathew laughed, "I guess it all comes down to Dragons Claw nature. The roots outer skin produces a poisonous enzyme that kills and discourages all insects and rodents from eating it. The center part filters this enzyme, no not filters it, more like cures the poisonous enzyme, and feeds the cured nutrient's to the vines. The vines have razor-sharp thorns to keep wild animals from eating it. The leaves have tiny needles and sharp edges to discourage deer and other large herbivores from grazing. We know the enzyme is active because it glows on the darkest of nights. It is believed that the roots glow underground to warn any borrowing creatures of its toxicity."

"The whole plant discourages people and animals from touching it. But the white inner sponge material is the most potent ingredient in a healing potion. Just a quarter ounce of powder in a five-gallon caldron makes a general low heal go to a super heal."

Mathew moved over to another row and started on the lower strings. He was faster than Felicia, but this was her first time. He noticed that next time they harvest that he would move the stings a little wider to give her more room as she sorted the drying.

"I wish I knew everything about Dragon Claw like you do, like how to brew a potion and stuff."

"You will after you get through the first year, books and maybe my old second year, you could fit in a botany or two. Then we could throw in my old alchemy book. Or when you want a break from your magic books."

"I feel I will never have enough time to read all you 'old' books."

"Nonsense we have a lifetime to read old magic books. Just like Uncle Robert said about your magic. You are growing in power, and as your power grows so will your magical knowledge."

"My nose itches...,"

Mathew laughed, "It always does when you glove up. Let's finish this row and we can take a break."

Mathew showed her how to use the disinfectant bucket to wash their hands and a bucket of water to rinse them. Then remaindered her not to touch her clothes. After a quick break where they could scratch their noses and drink a cup of water, they got back to it. Mathew was used to having three people working on sorting the roots. With only two, it would take a little longer. So he was planning another break.

Felicia stopped to rotate her stored clips, watching Mathew work. He was very efficient in his movements and needed just a single glance to determine the roots level of toxicity. He was several rows ahead of her and was working the three lower strings, while she was just doing the top two. When he got to the end he looked up at her, "You ok love?"

"I am, I just feel that I am not keeping up and I am holding you up."

"Don't worry love, this is your first time working the root. I have been doing it all my life. And it is not a race. It takes as long as it takes."

Felicia smiled and started on the next row. Mathew wished he could stop and kiss her, but that would mean un-gloving, then disinfecting just so he could reassure her everything was all right.

Mathew stopped and walked to her and blew her a kiss, "I love you my mare. Just know in a few years you will be able to walk down a stringer and with just a glance know how toxic each one is. So don't worry how fast you are tonight, just concentrate on the root, and your movements. When I finish the bottoms, I will start on the tops and will meet you in the middle."

Felicia smiled and blew him a kiss, then went back to work. It took them just over five hours to sort the roots. And close to two more to clean up. Mathew insisted on soaping up twice after they got into the shower. They left their clothes in the bucket of disinfectant to soak overnight and would wash it the next day. Once clean Mathew pulled out a bottle of brandy and offer Felicia a glass. His father always claimed it helped him sleep after sorting roots. Mathew didn't believe it, but it just felt wrong not to have a glass afterward now. Mathew remembered to renew the Clairvoyance spell just before he fell asleep.

He woke a few hours after sunrise. He was still tired, but he needed to get moving. He started a large pot of water to boil and stepped into the shower to rinse off while the water heated. Once he had tea and porridge made, he woke Felicia. After breakfast, they headed over to the barn to wash their work clothes and the few that had been wearing that needed cleaning. As they were hanging the laundry up to dry Mathew felt two people step onto the road to the farm. Telling Felicia to go get the food ready. He pulled the paniers for the cart pony and strapped on the pack's frame.

He pulled the pony to the front of the house and Felicia came out with the first load of food. Tarn and Rullis came trotting up as they were fastening the straps.

"Told you we weren't going to catch them having sex."

"I don't think runt knows what sex is."

Mathew grinned, "For a gold apiece, I will show you how wild your sister is."

"Ewww!"

Mathew! Tarn, Rullis don't be rude!"

"Can I owe it to you?"

"Tarn!"

"No gold, no show boys."