Challenge Accepted Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I squirm back up and kiss Jenny on the forehead and tell her the time. Then, crawling out of bed, we take a shower and get dressed. It wouldn't be good if her parents walked into our house for the first time and found us naked, smelling of sex. To think of it, I don't believe there would ever be a good time for that.

The hash browns are almost finished, and the bacon is on a cookie sheet, already done,

when her parents arrive. Jenny gives them a tour while I get everything ready for our omelets and slice the ham. Getting to know her parents over breakfast is a treat. Listening to Jenny talk about her school year and what she expects from graduation is music to my ears. There is something about her voice that lifts my soul. After clearing the table, we decide to take a walk on the beach. I take the opportunity to pull Greg away from his wife and daughter so we can talk.

"Sir," I begin, "there's something I want to speak with you about."

"Sure, son. What is it?"

"I know that Jenny and I haven't been dating long, but I love her very much. While we've had our differences, Jenny is the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. So I'd like your permission to ask her to marry me, Sir."

"Marry her? You guys hardly know each other. Wasn't it just last week that you got mad and left her?"

"No, Sir...well...it was last week that there was a misunderstanding...but I didn't leave her."

"That's not what she told us."

"I know. It seemed that way, but that isn't what happened. If you were to ask her about it now, she would explain what happened."

"Josh," he says abruptly, "Jenny says that after graduation that you'll work in your family business."

"Yes, Sir."

"Starting out like that, are you going to be able to support our daughter and a family?"

"Yes, Sir. Our business is doing very well, and I plan to keep it that way when I become the president."

"President? Just like that, you'll be the president?"

"No, Sir. My father probably has another ten years or so before he'll be ready to step down. When he does, I'll take over."

"How can you be so sure that will happen?"

"Greg, if I may, my grandfather started our business, and my father took it over from him. Since I was born, my father has prepared me to become the company president when he retires. The same will happen when Jenny and I have children."

"So, you think with all this fancy talk and your fancy house, you can take our Jenny away from us?"

"No, Sir! I'm not taking your daughter away from you."

"From the sound of it, she won't move back home and be near us if she marries you."

"That's true. Our headquarters is here, and this is where we'll live. Well, not here in this house, of course, but in the area."

"I don't know, Josh. The whole idea of sending Jenny to school out here was for her to get a good education and bring those skills back home."

"Yes, Sir. I understand. It's not feasible to move our headquarters to Omaha because we have over a thousand employees in our home office. They would all lose their jobs. Some of our employees have been with us since before I was born. It wouldn't be right to do that."

"I'll have to think about this, Josh. I'm not sure I can support this request. We also have a family business. A farm. And it has also been in our family for generations, more than just two. Jenny won't be taking over the farm, but we want her accounting knowledge to keep it financially sound, now, and in the future."

"Sir, with all due respect, that is something that she can do from here. She doesn't need to live in Nebraska to watch over the finances of your farm."

"I don't know, Josh. I just don't know." Jenny's father peels away from me to join his wife and daughter at the edge of the water. As I stand there looking at the three of them, I wonder if our future will end up as I hoped. Jenny is taking them to Disneyland tomorrow, and I was going to use that time to visit our jeweler and have the ring made. Now, I'm wondering if that's a good idea.

Jenny made reservations at the Getty for this afternoon, and we are taking them to a baseball game tonight, so we have a full day ahead of us. Getting Jenny's attention, I point to my wrist. She looks at her watch and realizes that we have to go. Her mom loves art, so she's hoping the trip to the museum will be a treat for her.

***************

The museum was a great idea. Both of her parents seemed to enjoy themselves. We decide to have dinner at a small corner deli that's a staple in Los Angeles. It's said to be where the French Dip Sandwich was invented. When we walk in, memories of my childhood ring through my brain. Dad brought me here for the first time when I was around ten, and it hasn't changed one bit. There's still sawdust on the floor and long tables with bar stools to sit at. In the back are booths to sit in, but they are usually filled. Jenny wanders back there with her parents to see if they can secure one while I stand in line to order. I'm almost at the front of the line when Jenny walks up and tells me they got a booth and where it is. When our food is ready, I bring it to them, and we eat while talking about what we saw at the Getty.

***************

Walking into our suite at the stadium, we find my parents there. Damn it! I should have called them to let them know we would be here tonight. This will be awkward. After the introductions, Dad invites Greg to sit out on the balcony with him. Francine follows Mom outside as well, as they talk about Jenny and me. Mom gushes over Jenny, telling Francine what a wonderful girl they raised, which causes Francine to smile. Jenny and I look out at our parents and then at each other and shrug. Grabbing some dogs and a couple of beers, we sit on the couch and watch the game from the television. When something exciting happens, we jump up and go outside to watch. It appears our parents are getting along well, so I guess it wasn't a bad thing for Mom and Dad to be here tonight.

When the game is over and everyone says goodbye, Mom invites the Seagles over for dinner. Jenny and I originally planned to have our parents meet over dinner at our house, so this seems like an excellent opportunity to switch the dinner from my parents' house to ours.

"Mom, instead of having them drive all the way to your house, why not come to our house for dinner?"

"But, Josh--"

"Mom..."

"Fine. We'll have dinner at your house for a change."

"Good. It's settled then. Sunday at six."

It's late when we get home, and the Seagles are wiped out from our long day. Jenny makes arrangements to pick her parents up at eight tomorrow morning to go to Disneyland. When asked if I'm going, I tell them that I have business to attend to and can't make it.

***************

After Jenny walks out the door to pick up her parents, I finish getting ready and drive downtown to meet with the family jeweler. I describe the ring Jenny wants, precisely as she described it to me. Mr. Winterstein makes a rough drawing as he listens. We discuss the quality of stones for the ring, and he gives me a two-week timeframe. Perfect.

Leaving the jeweler, I drive to my hotel to meet with the manager. I explain that I want my personal belongings boxed up and ready to be moved out of my penthouse within a month. He is happy to do so and lets me know that making the suite available to guests will provide a generous income. I also tell him that I'll be removing my cars from the hotel as well. Once everything is planned, I leave.

On my way home, I get a call from Esther. "Hey, what's up?" I ask.

"We have to talk."

"Okay. I'm driving home from L.A. and have a lot of time, so talk."

"We need to speak in person."

"Sounds serious."

"It is, potentially."

"Fine, want me to come to you, or do you want to meet at my place?"

"How about your house? I'm on the west side anyway, so it won't take me long to get there."

"Fine, I'll see you in about an hour and a half then."

Esther is parked in front of the house when I pull up. She meets me at the edge of the garage, and we go inside. I offer her something to drink, and we sit at the table, facing each other.

"Okay, Esther. What's so important?"

"Josh, we have a problem with the party."

"No. You and Jenny have a problem with the party...I'm just attending, remember?"

"I remember, but this involves you too. And me. So, we have a problem...."

12