Change

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That settles it then," he said to Katie. "Hi, Mom."

Katie interrupted before her mom could respond, "Can I meet your neighbor now?"

"Sure," he said.

Rockie took that as her cue to come out of the kitchen and join him at the table. She placed a hand on his shoulder and leaned down to position her head next to his. He moved his head to the side to allow them both to be positioned in the center of the screen.

On the screen before her, Rockie saw one of the most beautiful and angelic faces she had ever seen. There was mischief in the ice-blue eyes, though. She recognized her from some of the photographs in JR's condo.

"Katie, please say hello to my neighbor, Rockie."

Katie studied the image on her display for a few seconds before responding, "Hi Rockie. Are you JR's new girlfriend?"

Rockie smiled when she felt JR stiffen next to her.

"Hi, Katie. I don't think JR wants a girlfriend right now. I'm trying to get him to accept me as a friend to start with."

"JR needs a girlfriend," Katie asserted. "He hasn't had a girlfriend in a long time and you're so pretty."

Rockie laughed, again at the discomfort that she could feel JR was experiencing from his sister's questions and comments.

"Thank you, but JR and I just met yesterday, so give us a little time to get to know each other. What do you say?"

She felt JR relaxing a bit from her response to Katie.

"I'm going to go back to preparing our dinner. Enjoy your chat with JR."

"Wait please," said the woman's voice out of camera view.

Katie turned her head and watched as her mom approached the chair where she was sitting in front of the computer. She shifted a bit to allow her mom to kneel beside her and look into the camera.

"Hi Rockie, I'm JR and Katie's mom, Patty. I apologize for their manners and will discuss that with them in private, but I wanted to introduce myself to you since neither of them did so."

Rockie laughed even harder as she felt JR turning red beside her. She could certainly see where Katie inherited her beauty from. Katie was a younger version of the woman kneeling beside her.

"I'm so glad that you took the initiative, Patty. I am pleased to meet any of JR's family."

"JR's father is attending a meeting at the fire station or he would be here to meet you too. I hope he gets the opportunity to meet you in the future. Rockie is an interesting name for a young lady. Is there a story associated with your name?"

"My first name is really Rochelle, but everyone has always called me Rockie," she explained.

"Rochelle is a beautiful name. Did you just move into the condo next door to JR?" Patty asked.

"No," replied Rockie, "I was living here a few months before JR moved in."

"But you said that the two of you didn't meet until yesterday. Has my son turned into that much of a hermit?"

Rockie felt JR tensing again.

"Don't blame JR," said Rockie. "The fault was mine more than his. I am generally a pretty private person, and I don't make friends easily. JR is the only person in the complex that I have met in all my years here."

"Well, it was nice to meet you, Rockie. I'll let you get back to your dinner. JR, please call me when you get home. Now you can finish up with Katie so that she can get ready for her bath."

Without waiting for a response, JR's mom moved out of camera range and Katie straightened up again. Rockie moved back into the kitchen allowing JR to also sit up straight.

"Sorry JR," said Katie. "Mom and Dad are still mad at me. I better go get ready for my bath, but I promise to be on my best behavior so that they let me spend as much time with you as possible while you're here. I sure miss you."

"I miss you too, Katie, and I love you to the moon and back. Do your best, and remember what Dad always says..." he began.

Katie finished it for him, "Whatever you do today, you have to sleep with tonight."

"Right," he said. "Sweetest dreams. I'll see you next weekend"

"Bye JR".

Katie's face disappeared from JR's computer as she ended the chat on her end. He put his own computer to sleep before rising from the dining table and joining Rockie at her kitchen counter.

"Why is Katie in trouble?" she asked.

JR chuckled, "Her and my cousin Celia, we call her Cile, were born days apart and have been virtually inseparable since then. They're like sisters who live a few miles apart. My other cousin Joey and I are the same way. Joey and I are the same age, and Katie and Cile are too."

"Sounds like a tight-knit extended family," observed Rockie.

"We are. There is an eleven-year difference between brother and sister in both cases, and the girls have been spoiled to the extreme as a result. Anyway, our home is on six acres in a country club community. We're about a mile and a half from the clubhouse. I used to take Katie there on our horses so we could buy ice cream at the snack bar there. Last Saturday, she decided that she would ride there with Cile without asking permission. Nothing happened, but someone saw her there without me or any other adult and called my dad. He's head of the local volunteer fire department, so everyone knows him. He drove down and followed Katie and Cile to make certain that they got home safely. Katie has not been having fun since then, I can assure you."

"If I had that beautiful girl as my daughter, in today's world, I would have probably reacted even worse. She is so precious, and she obviously thinks that you hung the stars in the skies."

"She has been my world from the day she was born," he said. "Let me show you something before I put away my computer."

Rockie came over to the table where JR was pulling another chair over and placing it next to his. He then pulled it out for her to sit on it. Once she was seated, he returned to his chair and angled his computer so that they both could see it.

"Do you know what 'Change detection and notification' is?" JR asked as he opened the Google home page on his Internet browser.

"Are you referring to monitoring when a website changes and notifying someone about it, like Google Alerts?"

"Exactly," he said, nodding his head. "The technology has been around for decades and enhanced and improved upon over the years. Google Alerts is probably the best known CDN, however Bing, Yahoo, and other search engines also have their own, but their performance isn't as reliable."

"I'm familiar with it, JR. I work in computer forensics," she said. "Is there a website you're interested in monitoring or something?"

"Not me, and not a website. Have you ever heard stories about the Secret Service monitoring threats against the President? They use a variant of CDN that allows them to know when someone makes a threatening comment about the President on a social media site, on a blog, or even within a YouTube video. They can even detect when someone does a search on the Internet for certain keywords or phrases, such as 'White House' and 'bomb'."

"I've heard about that," she said. "What is your point?"

"My point is that your internet searches can trigger alerts without you knowing it and raise concerns from those being notified."

She turned red with embarrassment and said, "You know that I did a Google search on you today?"

"I was informed," he acknowledged, "but the search for my name is not what triggered an alert by itself. The trip-wire was you searching for my father's name, followed by my name. The two searches in sequence raised a flag."

"Raised a flag for who, and why?"

"My dad. He is very protective of his family. You probably learned very little about him or me with your searches. If it weren't for the fact that finding zero information when any member of our family is searched for on the web would raise too many questions, he would make certain that there was nothing posted on us at all. People can do that, you know. Locate information on them on a website and demand that it be removed."

"I was only joking about discovering the 'open book' that you claim to be having pages written in invisible ink," she said. "Sounds like your dad saw me coming."

"No harm done. What can I do to help with dinner?"

"Put your laptop away and then plant yourself in a seat. I'll bring the taco fixings to the table in a few minutes."

"That won't work," he said. "Since I will need to pull your chair out for you anyway, why don't you let me help carry things to the table?"

She rolled her eyes and said, "Fine. Put your computer away and then come back and get these bowls."

She pointed to bowls containing lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and guacamole.

He followed instructions while she started setting the table and carrying other items for their dinner to the table. When he brought the items that she had left for him, they were ready to be seated. She waited for him to pull out the chair for her, which surprised her, but was becoming familiar.

"Would you like to say grace for us, JR?"

He took his seat and said, "If you would like, I would be honored."

Rockie simply nodded and bowed her head.

Chapter Six

"Do you go to a local church?"

JR finished his fifth taco before replying, "I don't attend anyplace regularly. If I hear of a sermon or program that sounds interesting, I will check it out. For example, Christ Church by the Sea will have a nationally renowned Pastor named Bernie Calaway speaking at their service Sunday morning, so I'll probably try to go hear him. What about you?"

She shook her head and said, "No. I didn't have any religious education while growing up. My faith and spirituality have been developed through my own private contemplation of the messages others have shared with me of their own journeys of faith. I would like to expand my education, and I definitely believe in God, but I also know that due to my limited experience and knowledge, I could easily be led down the wrong path without realizing it. I guess I could use a spiritual mentor."

"Would you like to come to Christ Church by the Sea with me on Sunday to check it out? I am hardly qualified to mentor someone else's spiritual journey, but I could tell if the teachings were the Word of God or the words of man."

She smiled and said, "I think I would like that, JR. Thanks."

"Can I help you clear the table?" he asked as he slid out of his chair and stood behind hers to pull it out for her.

She surveyed the table and laughed, "There's not much left to clear. You ate everything there was. I just need to load the few dishes into the dishwasher, so relax."

"I would be happy to wash everything by hand," he offered.

"No, that's okay. I generally let the dishwasher get full before running it, which these dishes should do. Take a seat in the living room and I'll join you in a few minutes. Then we can talk."

He took a seat on one end of the futon sofa, repositioned one of the bolster pillows to cushion the wood slat arm, and was soon joined by Rockie who handed him another beer before sitting on the other end,

"Do you own the condo next door, JR?"

He had anticipated an inquisition, so he wasn't surprised by the question. "One member of my family or another has had our name on the deed for almost twenty-five years."

"So, you basically inherited it?" Rockie asked.

"I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think you can inherit property from someone who is still alive. For tax purposes, there would need to be a title transfer, which is a costly transaction in California because the property gets re-assessed and the tax value will typically increase. But, it's still less expensive than the inheritance taxes here."

"Do you have a mortgage on it?"

"No."

"Well, that helps explain how you can afford to live here since I doubt that your maintenance job would pay you enough to afford rent around here, let alone a mortgage. I know that I struggle to afford the rent on this place, or at least I did before the housing allowance came along."

He feigned indignation, "Hey, I get by!"

"Are you attending college on a scholarship? I mean, I did learn from my search that you are apparently a pretty good baseball player."

He shook his head and said, "No to the scholarship, and yes to being good at baseball."

"I don't understand why the school of your choice wouldn't offer a baseball scholarship to the number one pick in the amateur baseball draft?" she asked.

He paused a beat before answering, "Rockie, I had nominations from two different congressmen and one senator to attend any of the military academies in this country. I almost chose to follow in my dad's footsteps and go to the Air Force Academy but changed my mind. The University of California, Irvine offered me both an academic as well as an athletic scholarship, and there is another scholarship offer for my graduate studies at UC Davis if I want to go there, which I don't. I want to go to Texas A&M to study Veterinary Medicine."

"Then how are you paying for tuition, books, and other expenses?"

"A college fund was established for me years ago. My parents never influenced where I chose to attend college, but they insisted that I not take a scholarship that might benefit another student when the fund would cover my full education. My tuition and books are paid for and I receive a monthly stipend for other living expenses. Any other questions?"

"So, I guess you don't need any financial help from me, your cooking is better than mine, your condo is cleaner than mine, at least until I get Brad's stuff out of here, and you seem to know how to fix anything."

"Rockie, you don't owe me anything."

"That's not why I am looking for something that I can do for you, JR," she insisted. "I want to find a way to build your trust in me like you're building my trust in you."

"I ate your cooking, didn't I?" he asked with a grin. "If that doesn't demonstrate trust in you, I don't know what does."

"Stop being a brat," she countered. The ringing of a cell phone interrupted the rest of her response.

Since JR made no move to answer his, she rose and walked to the kitchen to check hers.

"Hello?" she said as she answered her cell phone. She turned her back on JR as the conversation progressed.

Listening to one side of a conversation was always challenging, but when her voice became more and more upset and insistent, he stood to stand beside her. Instinctively, JR put his hand on her shoulder, and he could sense her tension melting at his touch.

"I said that I will get back to you," she stated firmly as she disconnected the call.

"Is everything okay?"

She placed her cell phone back into her purse and said, "That was Brad's lawyer. He made bail and his lawyer wanted to arrange a time for Brad to come by to pick up his belongings. It must be a time when I am not here so that Brad doesn't violate the conditions of his bond, which include remaining more than fifty yards from me, which means that I don't have to request a restraining order. I told him that I didn't trust Brad to be in my condo unsupervised, but he said that Brad had a right to his belongings."

"I'll watch him if you want," JR offered.

"I don't think that's a good idea. He is probably madder at you than he is with me."

"If I'm lucky, maybe he won't hit me," he said with a wink.

Rockie giggled, "Oh yeah. How did you, and why did you do that with him last night?"

He tried to explain. "When my father was in the service, he specialized in the development and implementation of non-lethal combat tactics. He taught my cousin Joey and I how to defend ourselves. From the age of ten, we were both homeschooled. This meant that we were always the 'new kids' when we participated in any of the local sporting or social events. Bullies tend to gravitate towards the new kids, so Joey and I spent hours practicing how to make them look foolish to mess with us. Sure, we could have knocked out anyone who challenged us, but making them look like fools was a better deterrent for bullies in the long run. So, do you want me to supervise Brad while he's here?

"Let me think about it and I'll let you know tomorrow while you're helping me buy a new car."

"A new car?"

"I forgot to tell you. I heard from my insurance company this morning and it turns out that I had better coverage than I thought. They 'totaled' my car and sent me a check for its replacement cost, minus my deductible, which was also less than I remember it being. So now I can get a new car and I want your help."

"I will be happy to help you," he said as he picked up his computer bag. "When do you want to go?"

"Well, not right now," she said. "Right now, I want to get back on that couch with you and back to what we were discussing."

He smiled down at her and said "I want that too, but I have a feeling that I am going to be spending some time with you this weekend that I hadn't planned on, so I need to get some studying done in advance if I expect to keep up with my classes. Plus, remember that my mom wants to scold me and there is a two-hour time difference that I need to consider."

Pouting playfully, she said "Oh pooh. I had my heart set on interrogating you tonight. Can I come over and sit with you while you study? I can read or play a game on my phone."

"Maybe in time that would work, but tonight is not that time. You can text me as long as you don't expect an instant response."

Slightly mollified, she asked, "Can I ask more questions

"You just did"

"I knew you were going to say that!"

She giggled. "Well, can I?"

"As long as I can do the same."

"Deal," she said as she rose on her toes to place a chaste kiss on his cheek.

"Sweetest dreams, Rockie. I look forward to tomorrow."

"JR," Rockie said as he stepped onto her porch, "Do you still have the key to my front door?"

He patted the pocket of his pants, and then turned and took a step back up. "Oh yeah, sorry."

She held up a hand and said, "Keep it, and JR, please feel free to use it."

~~~

JR had barely settled in his study room when the first text from Rockie arrived.

ROCKIE: I forgot to ask; will you have breakfast with me tomorrow before we go car shopping?

JR: Only if you let me buy breakfast for us.

ROCKIE: I was going to cook you breakfast, but if you would rather eat someplace else, I'm okay with that.

ROCKIE: How do you like your eggs, by the way?

JR: I don't eat eggs.

ROCKIE:???

JR: When I was in elementary school, my class was given an assignment on `responsibility'. Each student was given a chicken egg and told to treat it like an infant, to protect it, nurture it and not let it get hurt. I took the assignment to heart and guarded my egg with my life. I was the only student in the class to return his egg safely after the month was over. But, reading bedtime stories and caring for the egg, well I formed a bond with it. I haven't been able to consider an egg as food since then.

He was chuckling to himself, thinking that he may have shut down Rockie's texts for a while so he could study uninterrupted. It worked for less than five minutes.

ROCKIE: Did you call your mother yet?

JR: I was just about to.

ROCKIE: Please ask her a question for me.

JR: What question would that be?

ROCKIE: Please ask if either her or your father would mind if I took their incorrigible little boy over my knee.

JR: They know I don't eat eggs. They'd support me.

ROCKIE: Do they know that you disrespect your elders? I've got at least three years on you, Buster.

JR: Are you that anxious to punish me?

ROCKIE: Who said anything about punish? I would hope that at some point, you would find the prospect of being over my knee something you would want.

"Shut this down", he thought. Although he enjoyed the banter with Rockie, he needed to stay focused on his studies.

1...34567...31