Change

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Your family doesn't have any of those," he asked even though he knew the answer from what his father had revealed last night.

She shook her head. "My family has nothing but bad memories."

"Sorry to hear that. Are any of your family in the area?"

"Not that I know of. My father may still be in one of the State's prisons, but most of those are up north. Other than that, I have no living relatives."

"You were an only child?" he asked.

"No, I had a sister seven years older than me, but she died before I was nine."

"I'm sorry. Do you mind if I ask how she died?"

"My father sold her into prostitution when she was fourteen to pay for his drugs. She was killed by her pimp two years later when she tried to run away."

"Wow! Where was your mom during this time?"

"My parents were what's known as 'swingers'. In fact, it was obvious that my dad wasn't my biological father. Around the time that I turned six, they got hooked on drugs and my mom overdosed on heroin on my seventh birthday. Shortly after that, my dad took Julie away and I never saw either of them again. I was able to take care of myself for a couple of weeks, but my teacher called social services when I started wearing the same clothes to school. I was made a ward of the court and placed into the foster care program until I turned eighteen."

JR was silent as he found a public parking spot with a meter at the Newport Pier parking lot. He paid the meter for two hours of parking and then opened Rockie's door for her. He didn't hesitate to hold her hand as they walked to the reception podium at the pier-side restaurant. They were seated at an outside table and were soon drinking orange juice and watching the early morning crowd of fishermen on the pier or exercisers along the boardwalk. After placing their breakfast orders, JR began a new conversation.

"My mom and dad both grew up in this area. In fact, they were high school sweethearts. My dad's older sister, my Aunt Terri and her husband bought the condo when it was brand new. When his parents in Pennsylvania started having medical issues and they were traveling back there to help out, my dad would come over here to water plants and stuff, and usually brought my mom with him. I was actually conceived in the condo I live in next-door to yours but neither of my parents knew it at the time."

"Interesting," she said. "You really do have a connection with your condo."

"I suppose I do. I can't go into the details right now of what transpired, but my parents got unwillingly separated before my mom learned that she was pregnant with me. I didn't meet my father until I was ten years old. For ten years my mom maintained both her faith that they would be reunited as well as her love for my dad, and for ten years he never gave up searching for her. He knew in his heart she was out there somewhere. He didn't know he had a son until we were reunited. Since that time, I have witnessed first-hand a love such as few people get to experience. My parents are my role models for what a loving relationship should look like, and this has set the bar extremely high for me."

Rockie sat with her mouth agape, staring at JR while considering whether to place her hand in his.

Finally, she said, "I think what you describe with your parents is every girl's ideal relationship.

She continued, finally taking his hand in hers and finding no resistance, "I was well cared for in the various foster homes, got good enough grades to earn a scholarship to Cal Poly, but I never witnessed the type of love you describe with your parents. I had only dated two boys before Brad, and those were relationships that went nowhere. I thought that I loved Brad, but I certainly hope not because it didn't really feel right; there was no bond that made me feel that whatever we had between us would last forever. I'm sure he felt the same way because he was never very tolerant of my working and going to school at the same time because it left no time for him. At least that was always his justification for dating and sleeping with other girls."

Their meals came and they ate in silence, watching the people and their surroundings. When they finished, JR asked her if she wanted to take a stroll down the pier. He paid the bill, pulled her chair out for her, and they began walking. When they reached the end of the pier, they stopped to watch some dolphins off in the distance.

"My parents got married on a boat right out there," he told her as he pointed to where the dolphins were visible.

He turned and leaned his back on the railing and said, "Just as you have challenges imagining the type of love that my parents have, I am challenged to imagine what your childhood must have been like with the parents you describe. I know that both of my parents came from loving, solid, and stable home environments, but I don't know if even they would attribute what they always felt for each other to anything but the bond that formed between them. What's the debate, `Nature versus nurture'? I think my parents would take credit for their love over anything but divine providence. They refused to give up on one another or their love."

Rockie stood in front of him and used her feet to nudge his apart. She then moved into the space she had created and leaned against him, with her head on his chest. She didn't put her arms around him but just stood silent for several minutes listening to his heartbeat.

Speaking into his shirt, she said, "If the offer is still open, I would appreciate you supervising Brad while he picks up his stuff. I feel stronger than ever that he is a complication in my life that I need to eliminate. That will leave me free to deal with the new complication that is you."

He ran his fingers through her hair and asked, "Am I a complication in your life?"

"Oh God, I certainly hope so," she said.

Chapter Eight

"It's your choice to make," he said, "but I'm curious why you would want a 'Soccer Mom' style car rather than something smaller, sportier, and cheaper on gas."

When they had arrived at the Honda dealership Rockie headed directly towards the area where they stood now, looking at rows of SUVs and minivans. JR noticed that her interest was focused on the Honda CRV models and ignoring the other models.

"There are several reasons," she replied. "First, with so many pick-up trucks and SUVs on the roads, I will feel safer with something more substantial around me. Second, gas prices are getting better, and I don't have to drive very far to work, as you know. Finally, I want a vehicle that I can use to transport my paddleboard. I have only been able to use it twice since I got it because Brad refused to transport it for me with his truck unless we got back together."

"That is your paddleboard in your garage?" he asked.

"Does that surprise you?"

"Not really," he said. "I never gave much thought to it other than moving the oar to get your garage door to work. By the way, where is the remote control for your opener? You'll soon need it again."

"I imagine that it is still in the glove compartment of my car at the impound lot. The insurance company was supposed to have sent them a form authorizing me to retrieve any personal belongings from the car, so maybe I should stop by there after we're done here."

He just nodded because they had been joined on the dealership lot by one of the sales agents.

Rockie only looked at a couple of the SUVs' before test driving a silver one and starting negotiations to buy it. JR stayed out of the conversation between Rockie, the sales agent, and his manager, but he knew that she didn't stand a chance of getting the price of the brand-new SUV down to the amount of her insurance settlement. The price of the SUV with the features that she wanted was more than ten thousand dollars higher.

When the sales manager agreed to her request that he double-check for any manufacturer incentives or allowances that he might not be aware of, and subsequently left the room, she excused herself to use the restroom. When she returned, the sales manager was waiting for her with good news.

"I did miss a special incentive that may interest you," he said. "If you will accept the 'Touring' package, which has everything you wanted plus all-wheel drive, heated leather seats, and several other upgrades, I can meet your price. The downside is that we will have to transfer the vehicle from a dealership in the San Fernando Valley, so it won't be here until tomorrow."

Rockie was skeptical, "How can a car with more features cost less?"

"It is rare," agreed the sales manager, "but vehicles with certain option packages don't always do well in particular market areas. With the weather in Southern California seldom getting severe, people here are less willing to pay for options such as all-wheel drive and heated seats. Price incentives are used in these instances to help sell the vehicles. It's less of a loss than shipping it up north or back east where it would likely sell for more,"

She glanced at JR to see if he was following the logic,

He merely nodded his agreement and said, "Sounds like a good deal to me."

Turning her attention back to the sales manager, she asked, "What color is it?"

"It's silver, but with an upgrade that makes the color look pearlescent. The interior is cream-colored. Let me get you a brochure for the 'Touring' package so you can look it over."

The sales agent left the room to retrieve the brochure while Rockie contemplated her decision.

"Thank you," said Rockie. "Do we do the paperwork now or tomorrow?"

"You said that you were going to be paying cash, correct?"

"Yes," she said.

"Then we can do it today or tomorrow. It's your choice. We would just need to pull the vehicle information off the computer to get the required information."

"Which would you prefer?" she asked JR.

The sales agent returned and handed her the brochure.

"You might as well go ahead and get everything taken care of today since it's Saturday." He told her. "That way they will be able to verify your check with the bank and you'll be able to contact your insurance company to get the coverage set up. "

"Good points," she agreed. Smiling at the sales manager she said, "Let's do it."

JR stood and said, "If you can excuse me for a few minutes, I need to make a phone call."

"I'll just be waiting here," Rockie said.

She sat in the glass-enclosed room that they had been negotiating in and watched JR walk through the showroom toward the entrance doors. All during breakfast, their walk on the pier and here at the dealership, she had paid attention to how other people viewed him. The reaction of women to him was understandable. He was an attractive man, but more so due to his self-effacing personality.

Where men were concerned, he was respected immediately. She remembered stories about wolves and wondered if human males had the ability to distinguish who the leader of a pack was like wolves did. If so, JR was identified as the 'Alpha' merely by his presence.

She reviewed the brochure while she waited and soon saw JR re-enter the showroom from the lot outside. The sales manager intercepted JR as he stepped through the doors and shook his hand. The two men exchanged a few words before they walked back to the room where Rockie was waiting.

"Is everything okay?" she asked as JR and the sales manager entered the room.

"Certainly," said the sales manager. "If you'll follow me, I will take you to our finance office where you can complete the paperwork for your new car."

This time, it was JR who took her hand and they followed behind the sales manager.

She squeezed his hand and said in a low voice, "I meant was everything okay with you."

"Of course, it is," he reassured her. "I just wanted to reschedule something from tomorrow to today so I can bring you here to pick up your new car. No worries."

When they reached the office of the finance manager, they were asked to wait outside for a few minutes while the two managers discussed the transaction. Rockie and JR stood in the hallway across from the glassed-in office. The sales manager had closed the door after entering so they couldn't hear what was being discussed, but she did see a piece of paper being handed to the finance manager, which he promptly placed into a file folder on his desk. The two men chatted for a few more minutes before opening the door. The sales manager introduced everyone and then excused himself.

Once everyone was seated, the finance manager said, "Let's start with the basic information for the title. Whose name will be listed as 'primary' on the title?"

Rockie glanced at JR, and when he said nothing, she said, "My name is the only one on the title."

The finance manager completed the paperwork and showed Rockie where to sign. She was methodical and reviewed the sales contract very carefully before signing in all the required locations and writing a check to cover the full purchase price.

"Are you sure you're okay with bringing me back here tomorrow?" Rockie asked as she slid into the seat of JR's car.

He closed her door and said, "Of course. That's why I changed my scheduled visit with my grandparents to this afternoon instead of tomorrow."

They arrived at the impound lot just as it was reopening from the one-hour lunch closing period. The insurance company authorization form was reviewed by the clerk in the office and found to be in order. In a shorter than expected time, they were in a golf cart and being driven through the lot to where Rockie's former car was located. JR held the few items that she retrieved from the car and they were back at the office ten minutes after leaving it.

While walking back to his car, she asked, "JR, can we stop at home before visiting your grandparents so I can change? I would like to try and make a better impression than what I am wearing now."

He didn't remember asking or inviting her to accompany him when he visited his grandparents, but he liked the idea of her meeting them.

"If you feel you need to do anything to make a better impression on someone, I'll support you one hundred percent, but I think the girl next door is perfect."

Rockie considered what JR had said. She was the girl next door. As such, could she allow him to see her first thing in the morning or at other times when she wasn't her best? She suddenly realized that was exactly what he had done for her this morning. He was already secure enough with her to show himself to her without reservation. She also realized that sometime in the, she hoped not too distant future, they were probably going to make love, and when they did, she knew instinctively that they would wake up next to each other in the morning.

"I just hope you don't have a weak stomach in the morning."

He laughed and started the car. When they got back to the condo complex, he walked Rockie to her door and told her that he would be waiting in the alley for her, so she should come out through her garage.

He held up the remote for her garage door opener they had retrieved from her old car and said, "I'll put in a new battery and make sure this is working for you."

She rose on her toes, kissed his cheek, and said, "I won't be long."

As he requested, she exited through her garage, but she didn't need to push a button on her wall panel since JR stood on the outside testing the remote control. When he saw her coming, he left the door raised so that she could come through it, and then pushed the remote to close it one last time. He handed the remote to her to place in her purse, took her hand, and escorted her to his car waiting in his garage.

"Are we visiting with your mother's or father's parents," she asked once they were on the road.

"These are my mom's parents. They lived in the condo before me but started needing a little more assistance with day-to-day activities, so my parents found an apartment for them where they can maintain their independence, yet get the care they need with meals, laundry, and doctors' appointments. That sort of thing. My dad's parents still live in their house over in Cypress. We can visit them too if you want. I try to see all of them at least once a month."

"I told your mom that I would love to meet all of your family, and I meant it," she said. "They must have moved out before I moved in."

Immediately after crossing the San Diego Creek Bridge, JR swung the car into a parking area.

"This looks like a wonderful place," commented Rockie when JR selected a parking spot and turned off the engine.

"My grandparents love it, and that's all that really matters. Can I ask you something before we go in?"

"Sure."

"Both of my grandparents here are developing dementia. Can I share the picture that you took with my phone with my grandparents? It's the only photo that I have of you, and I know that once they meet you, they will want a picture to help remember you. Their dementia isn't too bad yet, but I know that they are both preparing for the day when their memories start to fail completely."

"Oh JR, of course. Why don't we also get a picture of us all together and share that."

He opened her door and said, "Good idea. I'm sure one of the staff will take a picture for us."

Holding hands, they walked through the lobby to the reception desk where JR signed them in, and a call was placed to his grandparents' apartment notifying them that visitors were on the way to their apartment. He led her down a first-floor hallway where a gray-haired couple stood in a doorway waiting for them.

A look of confusion came upon the faces of Mr. and Mrs. Harper as their grandson approached them, accompanied by someone. She resembled their daughter Patricia but was too tanned and too short. She resembled their granddaughter Kathryn, but she was too tall, and her hair was too curly. She was holding JR's hand, and he had never brought a girl to visit them. Who was she?

Chapter Nine

JR released Rockie's hand to give hugs to both of his puzzled grandparents before taking it again and introducing her.

"Grandma and Grandpa, I would like you to meet my girlfriend, Rochelle Preston. Rockie, these are my grandparents."

At his introduction of her as his girlfriend, words momentarily caught in her throat, but she smiled and shook their offered hands until she was able to speak again.

"I am very honored and pleased to meet both of you," she said.

Mrs. Harper ushered them all into their apartment and closed the door behind them. Rockie let JR lead her through the living room and out onto the balcony where his grandparents had obviously been sitting when notified of their arrival. The two seats facing the view of the Pacific Ocean in the distance had beverages at them, so she and JR took the two seats on the opposite side of the table, giving them a view of the apartment itself.

"Katie tells us that you are flying home to take her trick-or-treating next weekend," said his grandfather once everyone was seated.

JR nodded and said, "I plan to fly home Saturday morning and fly back Sunday afternoon. With the two-hour time difference, if I can get off the ground here right at seven in the morning, I should be landing by two in the afternoon. Joey will pick me up and we should be at the house by three."

"Are you going to go to Texas with Bobby, Patty?" asked Mrs. Harper.

Rockie didn't want to correct his grandmother or say that she hadn't been invited and embarrass him, so she replied, "No, not this trip. I already had commitments for Halloween that I couldn't change."

She felt JR tense momentarily beside her, but he didn't challenge her response.

"You and Bobby have been dating a long time," Mrs. Harper said.

"Not very long," Rockie said with a smile, "but it's been wonderful so far. He is a perfect gentleman and makes me feel so special all the time."

1...56789...31