Chapter III: The Key to the Future

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Young Trantor silently ate his baby food while his father worked his words on the common people.

Feroz shook his head.  He was from the old ways, he preferred the old ways, but if his young mate wished to pursue this path, he would follow.  If not for him, then maybe he could rear this young eaglet to be better than his father.

Kali, Caryn and Maureen walked back to their tent.

Kali voiced her concerns, "I don't like this.  Sex for some shiny coins, it's not right."

Caryn agreed, "If our husbands were here, they'd have something to say about this."

Kali sighed, "But they are not, so it's up to us women for once."

Caryn scoffed, "Against our own village?  It's the black feather for us if we're wrong."

Maureen raised a brow, "The black feather?"

Kali held her squirming son as she tried to explain, "We're not supposed to talk about it, but for those of us who are considered heretics, we have the black feather.  Once our council declares you the black feather, you're as good as dead to all of us and we'd have to shun you or be banished along with you."

The three mothers sat together in their tent.

Maureen had her piece to say, "In the towns, people have their own way of dealing with heretics, unholy people like..."  She looked to her two companions, "well...  We burn our 'wicked' at the stake or we hang them.  I've seen it from a young age.  This plan Nestor has of uniting with the towns, there's too many people there who'd sooner kill one of you on sight than listen to what you have to say."

Kali sighed, "Yet more anguish in our lives then..."

The three mothers embraced.

...

Within the safe confines of the chieftain's hut, Nestor sat upon his throne and looked at his precious gold coin.  His attention then turned to his mate.

Feroz carried their son to his nursery.  He laid the sleepy little eaglet in his crib for the night.  He flinched then as he suddenly felt his mate's claws pinch his rear.

Nestor chuckled from his husband's reaction.  He hugged his mate firmly from behind.

Feroz trilled with want as his love showed him such affection.

Nestor carefully traced his sharp beak along his mate's broad shoulder and Feroz made more of those special noises that he only ever made for him.

The chief finally spoke, "Feroz... Did you see how the townspeople were eating from the palms of my hands?" He massaged his lover's pectoral muscles and made him groan some more, "I can see it now... Mammals, reptiles, all manner of rich beasts flocking to our village, bearing gold for a quick place to stay and a fine hen to lay."

The vulture would add his two bits if he could still speak.  Instead, he gave his lover that ever-concerned stare.

Nestor kissed him, "You don't have to worry about me, dear Feroz.  I've planned this for a long time, I already have ideas of what to do.  I will send some scouts to spread the word about our new ways and if they are curious, the civilized folk will come.  We will offer them our unwed males and females." An idea sparked to his mind, "That mammal, we can use her."

Feroz pulled back from his love when he mentioned Maureen.  He, like many of the people, had come to like her for her kind spirit.  He looked his love in the eye, a simple warning behind his gaze.

Nestor read his expression, "I promise I won't hurt her." He rubbed Feroz's shoulders as he tempered the vulture's worries, "Maureen is useful to our cause.  When they see how we care for her as if she's one of our own then they will be more curious to see these hospitable birds who welcome all beasts big or small."

Feroz was still unsure.  This was the first time Nestor had ever even spoken the marten's name, and he considered her useful, something in that statement just felt wrong.

"Come morning, we pick scouts."  Nestor embraced his mate, "Now, come to bed, my Feroz."

Feroz sighed but let his love lead him to their room where he knew his mate was sure to keep him up.

...

The following morning, Justin woke first.  The blue jay noticed right away his head laid on the buff chest of their new traveling companion.

Colmillo slept peacefully between the two birds.

Justin couldn't stop himself from nuzzling the wolf's chest.  The wolf was big, plush and so warm.

He looked across and blushed.

Orion was awake too, nuzzling his half of the same handsome wolf.

Two buff arms came around the birds alerting them to their guest.  The wolf chuckled, "You dirty birdies hugging me in my sleep?"  He petted the both of them, "You're lucky I swing this way too."

Justin blushed then sat up, "No, that's enough!  We're supposed to be married.  We have wives with eggs waiting for us at home!"

The wolf shrugged, "Family birds?  I wouldn't have guessed it from the display I got with you two." He sighed, "Fine.  We've rested enough then."

The three were dressed, packed and on their way south towards their village.

...

The same morning, three individuals stood on the dirt road leading away from the bird village.

One was Maureen, chosen by Nestor to be a suitable ambassador for the birds.

The one other was an old pigeon from the elder council.

The last was Tilo, the sparrow shaman. He had been reluctant to the idea of him, the village's medical expert to be away from home for any length of time, but Nestor had insisted they needed a gentle face like his to help persuade their prospective neighbors in the towns.

These three were to be the representatives for their village.

Nestor had sent them off with directions to find the forest rangers.  It was their duty to help lost travelers, they would most certainly lead them to civilization.

Maureen hated being taken away from her cub, but Kali and Caryn both promised to watch over little Iomer.

The marten jill was at least happy that Tilo was to be her traveling companion, and not some hot-blooded teen who would ogle her the whole way.

Tilo was a friendly type at the least. Being a sparrow, he was one of the shortest adults in the village, constantly having to use a stool as he tended to ailing or injured birds in the past. This would be his first time leaving his home, though.

Kali was at home, now with two sons to care for in Maureen's absence.  Kali didn't have the means to feed Iomer what he needed.  She only hoped she could find a suitable substitute to tide him over.  She hoped Maureen wouldn't be gone too long.

She didn't want to start missing her too.

12