Chasing Faeries

Story Info
A faerie in Norway tries to heal a Texan's broken heart.
7.3k words
4.7
5.4k
11
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jorunn
Jorunn
85 Followers

This is a rewrite of my Halloween 2022 story. It was one of my first stories, and was self-edited. This revised version corrects some errors and enhances the story. I love both characters, and they deserve a better first story. We will be meeting them again soon.

A jilted rodeo cowboy from Texas goes to a remote mountain cabin in Norway, hoping solitude will help him recover from his broken heart. Meeting a forest spirit, he puts her special healing powers to the test.

***************

Chapter 1

***************

Suddenly, my body is bathed in a brilliant light.

"Hei!" cries out a human male voice.

"Uff da!" I whisper to myself. My mind was replaying the wonderful music I just heard, and I have ignored my surroundings. A graceful pirouette spins me around on top of the fence railing so I can see who called out. With my arms straight out, I enjoy the swirling of my long white tunic and its billowing sleeves as they flutter in the breeze.

I cross my arms in front of my face to block the light. "Stoppe!"

The man points his torch toward the ground but does not extinguish it. It still casts reflected light, allowing us to see each other. The man looks to be in his late twenties in human years, slim but not especially tall. His reddish-brown hair and beard stand out from an otherwise expressionless face. He is wearing warm wool clothing and odd-looking boots.

"Howdy, mam! Who are you? And why are you standing on my fence?"

He speaks English with a strange accent, though I understand him well enough. I am not keen on being seen by a human and have even less desire to speak to one. I should jump down and run away, but I am curious about the music I heard coming from inside the cabin.

"What is Howdy?" I ask.

"I'm from Texas, mam, and that's just our polite way of saying Hello."

"I was drawn here by your music. You have a nice voice, and your words are meaningful, though the stories they tell are sad. What instrument were you playing?"

"Well, thank you, mam. I was singing country music. I was brung up listening to it, and I suppose the songs I picked are a bit on the sad side. It's kind of the way I've been feeling lately. The instrument you heard was my guitar."

"What is a guitar?" I ask.

"You don't know what a guitar is?" questioned the surprised man.

"I live here in Norway in the forests and have never seen anything called named guitar."

He holds up his hands and spreads them apart. "It's about this long, has six strings on it, and you pluck the strings with your fingers.

"It sounds like a big Hardanger Fiddle, but without a bow. It sounds different, but nice."

"Aren't you a bit underdressed for the last day of October? If you would like to come inside and sit by the fire, I will show you my guitar and sing a happier song."

I dislike fire and do not care to go anywhere near one.

I respond, "Is it that late in the year already? Then, it is time for Alfablot here in Norway, when people make a sacrifice to the elves and honour their ancestors. It marks the time between the end of the harvest season and the cold nights that await us on the other side. It is not safe for you to be outside after dark. Dark elves and evil spirits are wandering about. But don't worry, I will protect you."

"All the same, mam, I can take care of myself."

"Do not be boastful about things of which you know not."

"My family is originally from Ireland, several generations ago, and I still have cousins there. My grandfather moved to Boston, and later, my father got a job in Texas. Texas is where I was raised, and it's where I live. My grandfather would try to scare us young'uns by telling us stories about the Irish festival of Samhain. He said the veils between the living and the dead were at their thinnest, and spirits could pass through the barrier into the land of the living. Samhain is a time when witches and faeries move about the land. People in Ireland are still afraid to cut down a faerie tree or cross a circle of stones that might be a faerie ring, fearing they will disappear forever."

"Your grandfather is a smart man! Heed his words, Texas."

"I stopped believing his stories when I was twelve years old."

Texas is a fool. I should leave him to his fate. I heard gunshots two days ago and wonder if he might be the hunter.

"Why are you here on the mountainside? Are you a hunter?"

"No, I don't hunt. I have cousins who come here every summer and keep saying how purty it is, and I just wanted to enjoy the beauty of nature and find some quiet solitude."

I am relieved to hear that. He is not the one shooting at the animals in my forest.

"It truly is beautiful here in my forest," I reply. "But I must go now."

"Wait! It has been lonely here for the last two weeks. I would love to talk some more."

"Then come up onto the fence railing and dance with me!"

"I'll take that as a challenge!" he yells back. "I can dance a pretty mean two-step."

He climbs onto the narrow rail. His feet are large and make him less agile, so he sways to keep his balance. I laugh at him, then dance teasingly along the top of another rail. He quickly recovers and follows me along the fence top. I push off and leap to another rail, keeping my balance as I land. He tries to follow, one foot landing on a rail, then thrashes about with his arms. I reach out to offer him a hand, then quickly pull it back. The man loses his balance and topples backward.

"Why did you pull your hand back?"

I look down at him sitting in the soft dirt and laugh. "You said you can take care of yourself! You said you knew how to dance the two-step. It looks to me like you can only dance a one-step. Go back inside and practice. If you ignore the warnings of your grandfather and are brave enough to venture out into the darkness, follow me!"

***************

Chapter 2

***************

I leap off the fence and run across a small meadow towards a tightly packed birch forest. I should have no problem reaching it first. A half moon is rising over my shoulder, illuminating the dappled white bark of the trees, casting long shadows. The same light also makes it easier for Texas to see me, so I hope he won't get lost.

Reaching the trees, I slow down and glance back. I see his darkened form, outlined in the silver-blue moonlight. The man runs well for a human and is closing, but the advantage is still mine. I dash into the understory of low ferns, the green of their youth fading to orange and yellow. The moist ground is still springy, and each step releases the rich earthly smell of the forest. The birch trees are tightly packed, making it difficult for me to run very far in a straight line, so I leap laterally between the trees and resume running.

I hear him thrashing through the ferns behind me, and I spring laterally once more. A few more bounds, then I cut back onto my original path. I vary my speed based on the sounds he is making, not letting myself get too far ahead, or him too far behind. As I emerge from the birch trees, I come to an open area strewn with rocks and fallen trees, remnants of a forgotten avalanche. I gracefully leap over the tangle of trees and resume running.

Ahead and to my left, I hear a waterfall and know there will be a stream to cross. A little further on, I reach the bank, then take two strides down and leap over the water to the opposite bank. I sense him close behind me. A grunting sound reaches my ears as he leaps from the top of the bank, his hand brushing against my bare foot as he stretches out and tries to grasp me. But I elude him, and continue up the bank, leaving his prone body behind. I decide to hide.

Running over the crest, I am back in the birch forest. I spy a leaf-filled depression, dive into it, and say a nature spell to swirl the dry leaves over me. I look back and watch the stream bank, remaining perfectly still and quiet. I hold a leaf up in front of my face, my eyes barely peeking over it, and he appears. He cannot see or hear me and looks puzzled. The understory on this side of the stream has no ferns, and there is no visible trail for him to follow.

He walks up close to my hiding place and fails to see me. But the thrill for me is the chase, not the deception, so I change the spell. My leaf blanket lifts into a swirling vortex, and I spin it around him to obscure his vision. Seizing the moment, I rise, dashing back to the stream, then follow it downhill.

"Clever girl!" Texas yells, stepping out of the whirlwind.

I hop between the stream banks, stepping gingerly onto the wet rocks. Splashes from his missteps announce the distance between us. Suddenly, I come to a steep drop with a small waterfall and a quiet pool at the bottom. I glance back, then make a leap only a forest spirit could survive, landing softly on the level bank below. Looking around, I see something unexpected and freeze. A few moments later, a winded Texas walks beside me and takes my hand.

Looking at me, he asks, "Why have you stopped running?"

"Shhhhhh", I reply.

***************

Chapter 3

***************

"Over there!" I whisper. "It is a red deer doe!"

"Why does she not run away?"

"She is hobbling. There is something wrong with her left hind leg."

I take a step toward her, and she turns to face me. Her tail is up, she begins stomping the ground with her front hooves, and low guttural sounds issue from deep in her throat. She is warning us to stay away. But why? Then I sense something. "I have to try to heal her leg."

"She won't let you get near her," says Texas.

"Can you feel it? There is a strong spiritual presence here. I cannot abandon her. Let me try a song of enchantment to calm her."

I begin to sing in the lilting cadence of Old Norse.

Do you see me, red deer doe?
Wildness dances in your eyes.
The way you move, you are grace incarnate.
Serenity follows, gentleness surrounds you,
your purity of spirit connects with the Earth.
Queen of the Forest, I am pleased you are here.

Red deer doe, why do you not run?
As quickly as seen,
you depart with the swiftness of wind.
No obstacle bars your path.
There is nothing to foil your leaps.
Queen of the Forest, why not disappear?

Red deer doe, why is your balance unsure?
Cloven hooves stomp the ground,
and in your throat is a guttural sound.
You have legs of four,
yet stand on three.
Queen of the Forest, what do you fear?

Red deer doe, who are you warning?
Over there! Beneath the birch,
nestled in fall-tinted fern.
Innocence and purity lay hidden,
beneath a dappled moonlit shadow.
Queen of the forest, I see the one you hold dear.

Red deer doe, why do you cry?
Pain deeper than your leg,
it pierces your heart.
You cannot protect the one you love,
to guide him through the coming winter.
Queen of the Forest, in fawn's eye, a tear.

Red deer doe, will you grant me your trust?
From you, a gift rarely given.
Traversing the forest by instinct,
intuition keeping you safe.
You are my friend, and I, your sister.
Queen of the Forest, my words you must hear.

Red deer doe, let me heal your leg!
Know that my heart is true,
my energy bright and pure.
You are a spiritual animal,
and we both have healing powers too.
Queen of the Forest, let me draw near.

The deer lowers her tail and stands quietly. I step closer, and she does not stir. As I move behind her, she turns her head to follow my motion. Looking closely at her left rear leg, I see blood. A hunter has shot the doe, and broken her bone. Touching her leg, I call upon the spiritual healing powers and energies of both myself and the red deer. My hands glow as our combined powers course through me. A moment later, it is done. She is healed. I step back while the doe capers toward her fawn, who stands up. The fawn is a male, something I already sensed. Reunited, they quietly walk deep into the forest.

Texas comes up to stand next to me. "I didn't understand the language, but you have a wonderful soulful voice. She is not hobbling anymore. How did you heal her?"

"It is never by random chance that you meet a red deer. For every sighting, you must consider the context of what you were doing or thinking. A hunter has shot the doe, and she would not have survived the winter. I am not human, I am a Huldra, and it is the fawn I had to save. This particular fawn is a spiritual animal! He will grow up to be a stag and follow someone throughout his life as his guardian."

"You're a what?" asked the shocked and unbelieving human.

"I am a Huldra, a woodland spirit, a warden of this forest. I look after the deer and other animals, the trees, the waters, the grass, everything here. I have healing powers, but nature can heal itself, given time. I can sometimes assist by summoning different types of energy to help speed up the healing process."

"You are enchantingly beautiful, and I just saw you do something my mind cannot grasp. Is there any chance you can heal a broken heart? I was a rodeo cowboy back in Texas, a bull rider. I was good and made quite a lot of money. A woman stole my heart, and I changed things and myself to make her happy. I stopped wearing blue jeans and started wearing fancy clothes to fit in with her friends. I parked my old pickup truck and bought a fancy sports car. We spent many a night out on the town."

"Then, I got injured and couldn't ride anymore. She broke my heart and left me after spending all my money. I thought it would be a good idea to get away to clear my head and think things through."

I feel sorry for Texas. A broken heart is more painful and everlasting than any physical injury.

"Healing the doe took most of my energy, and I am cold. Will you hold me?"

I spin around and turn away from Texas so he can wrap his arms around me. I grasp his hands and move them from my stomach to my breasts so he can cup them. I hear him deeply inhale as he smells my hair. Pressing my bum against his groin, I feel the beginning of an erection. I cannot heal his broken heart, but perhaps I can make him forget it for a while.

***************

Chapter 4

***************

I turn to face Texas. In the fading moonlight, I look into his eyes. He is tentative. I know he wants to kiss me, but he is unsure. He is not living; he is avoiding life so he will not be hurt again.

I reach up and pull his head down to mine, seeing the relief on his face just before his lips meet mine. Our lips touch, I feel his warmth, and he must feel mine. Our lips move together, our noses touching feather-light against each other.

I smell a faint trace of alcohol on his breath, but he must know by now that drink will not mend his broken heart. I open my eyes and see the intense gaze of his dark eyes. I feel like he is watching me, still afraid of making a mistake, waiting for me to push him away.

I think about telling him everything is fine, even more than fine, but instead of using words, I force my tongue between his lips and deep into his mouth. Our tongues meet, touching gently. I reward his effort with a soft sigh into his mouth. His left-hand moves around to the back of my head, he draws me tightly against him, and our bodies twist ever so slightly into the perfect kissing position.

His passion finally awakens. He releases a deep pent-up hunger, and the intensity of our kissing explodes as our tongues dance playfully in each other's mouths. The rest of my body begins to tingle with exquisite sensations. His arms reach behind me, and I moan as he lifts me off the ground.

"Owwwww!" he cries. "My shoulder!"

He gently lowers me back to the ground, then reaches for his right shoulder. All of the magic suddenly vanishes as Texas comes crashing back into his broken life.

"I'm sorry mam, I got carried away. I guess I just don't have it in me anymore."

I feel his pain and want to cry with him, but he doesn't need tears, he needs to be lifted back up. Looking over, I see the waterfall and get an idea.

***************

CHAPTER 5

***************

"Come dance with me, Texas. Over by the waterfall. Show me the other half of your two-step dance."

Texas laughs, a genuine one. He smiles, and at least for a moment, I have placed a thin veil over his broken heart.

We move over near the waterfall and face each other. He reaches out and takes my right hand, then places his left hand behind my shoulder, and tells me to place my left hand atop his right shoulder.

"Be gentle. That's the shoulder I busted up when the last bull threw me. The doctors tried to mend it, but couldn't, and told me never to ride again. I will lead. You start by simply walking backward. I will begin by stepping forward with my left foot, and you step back with your right foot. The easiest way to remember is that ladies are always right."

I liked the sound of that, especially since it is true.

"We will take two quick steps, then two slow steps. Try to keep our feet moving together."

We dance together for several minutes, and it is wonderful to be touched and held by someone while dancing. The dance is a simple one, and Texas does it well. He hums a delightful tune while we dance.

"Very good!" says Texas. "Now, let's add a spin. Let's start slowly."

He shows me a spin move, and I see my chance. I vary my steps to get him into position, then enter the spin. I pull my hand from his and purposely fall backward over a rock into the pool of water.

"Like you, I guess I can only do the one-step! Hurry Texas! Help me up! The water is so cold!"

"I'm so sorry, mam. We have to get you back to the cabin!"

"There is no time. We will never make it there before I freeze. Let's go behind the waterfall."

"That would just be plum loco."

"Help me to walk."

He wraps his arm around me and we hobble toward the waterfall. I speak a nature spell to separate the flowing waters. As I hoped, there is a small chamber behind the waterfall.

"How did you do that?"

"I am a nature spirit. I asked the water to choose a different path when it reached the rocks above the waterfall. The water has a chance to go left or right around a rock, it made a different choice and created an opening. Let us go inside, quickly."

Texas pauses for a moment. "These rocks. They are in a circle like a faerie ring. Are you going to make me disappear?"

I thought about his words, and another idea came to mind. But it would have to wait. "I'm not a faerie, remember?"

He led me through the gap in the waters. I speak another nature spell and ask the water to fan out to make a complete and perfect curtain around us.

"How did you do that?"

"I will explain later. Now, take off your jacket and lay it on this large rock."

I speak a third nature spell and create a small round orb of light. The orb releases heat, and I hope the warmth remains inside the curtain of water. He turns to face me, and I slowly and seductively remove my wet tunic, then walk past him to lie down on his jacket.

"Remove your clothes and lay on top of me. I need the warmth of your body, your flesh pressing against mine."

"I learned something like that once in a survival course," says Texas. "You're a lot prettier than the retired Marine that taught that course."

He quickly removes his shirt and sets it aside. As he removes his trousers, a bulge is evident in front of his groin. His whole body is lean, hard muscle.

"Your undergarments must come off too. Hurry, I am cold."

He reveals his large and fully erect cock. I wonder if all Texans possess such size.

"Do cowboys get so large by riding bulls?" I ask.

Like all Huldras, I had a cow's tail when I was younger. Only after seducing many men did it finally go away. It is so ironic, now that my tail is gone, I am trying to seduce a bull rider!

He laughs again, "We have a saying that everything is bigger in Texas."

Jorunn
Jorunn
85 Followers
12