Cherry Locked - Final

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I open the thread and type: Who is this?

Are you really going to marry him?

My knees buckle. I catch the counter to steady myself. My forehead throbs. My gut inverts sharply. OH MY GOD! NO WAY! HOW???!!

Brad, how did you get my number??? I blocked you!

My parents got into a crash. Please, Maddy, I need you.

A crash?! His parents?! Oh no, that's horrible! I would go to him...but I'm torn. This is odd timing. Something bad occurs with his parents right after the ring news leaks??? And how he asked: Are you really going to marry him?

Is this a bluff? How do I fact-check? What if his parents are injured? I want to go with my gut and stay away. There's a possibility I could be heartless choosing that. If his folks are hurt, I want to be there for him. No one should go through that alone. If they're not, then I'll change my number. If he's lying, this is sick! I wish I had a third eye to settle this.

Me: What kind of crash?

Brad: Car crash, they're in ICU

Shit...is this real??? I don't know...Me: That's horrible! How bad is it?

Brad: It's really bad. I might lose them. I can't do this alone. You're the first person I thought of. Can we meet up somewhere? I need you.

What if this is true? I did vow to support him. But he was so cruel to me on our last call. Should I be cruel back? Do I want that karma returning? Abandoning him while his parents are in critical condition will defiantly come back to haunt me. I don't want those demons.

I did label Brad as a potential friend. I meant that. I should stick to my word and help a friend in need. He's going through a crisis by himself. He texted that he can't do this alone. My sight goes to the windows. Grand Park is close enough to walk to.

Me: Is Grand Park, Okay?

Brad: That's fine.

My identity is public; bringing the guards along will only draw more attention. I need to sneak out. I also need a disguise. I take a hoodie dress from my bag and feel around for sunglasses. I wash my face and brush my teeth. It's not because I want to be my best for Brad. I just don't want to look like I just got out of bed...which I did.

Sandals are the last thing I slip into. Halfway out of the door, I think of my mace. I'll take it to be safe...Brad could be luring me into something. I want to believe him, but it's 50/50. I really hope he's not lying about his parents being in a crash. There's only one way to find out.

I take the elevator down from the 65th floor. This is a good 7-minute ride. In the lobby, Alonso and his companion are posted at the front door like gargoyles. I put my hoodie up and slip on the sunglasses.

There's no way I'll get by them looking this suspicious. I need to go out the back.

I walk in the opposite direction to a hall leading to the back of the building. The rear exit is far. I estimate it to be about a mile in length. I pass conference rooms, labs, offices, and factories full of the ribcages of cars. My cell rings. It's an unknown number. "Hello?"

"Hello, Ms. Hart. You're not allowed to leave by yourself. We'll escort you wherever you need to go." Alonso's spicy accent is stern.

"No need. Jace is picking me up."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I reply quickly.

"That's odd. Mr. Harrison is still in the blackout meeting. Shall we try this again?"

I hang up and run the rest of the way. I shove the exit open and dash across the parking lot. The guards will be on me soon. I better hurry to the park. I near a side street to a crossing, but I don't have the light, so I walk down.

Brad: Be there in 5.

Many citizens I pass are either on their phones or chatting up a storm. Only a few of them eye me curiously. Okay...I can lose the hoodie. I lower it and keep my head down toward my phone. I feel so exposed....more than I've ever have in my life. As if some crazy fan of Jace is about to jump me. As if the news is about to appear from thin air and catch me. Am I paranoid?

I approach the park entrance and pass a field of tents to a paved walkway. Mostly parents and kids occupy the play area, others picnic. I recall hoping to do this one day with Brad. Crazy how fast life changes. How time flies.

Brad: Here. Where are you?

I glance around, finding that I'm at the fountain. I text this and stand still. I'm sprayed by mist from the two-tier fountain. It has a floor of water. The large base shoots liquid in a Christmas tree-esque shape. There's a set of stairs on each side. I ascend so that I'm visible.

Oh...now I'm feeling silly. I should've stayed put. Alonso will inform Jace of this. Why am I here? I'm half sure Brad is full of shit. But only half. How I wish I was fully sure.

I spot him walking down the paved path. Brad's hair is longer and sunkissed. It must change with the weather...or maybe he dyed it. He's in a tank top, showcasing a new set of muscles. His eyes resemble a brown bear. Why is he hotter?

He climbs the stairs. "Hi, Maddy."

I analyze him. He doesn't seem sad or as if he's been crying. Brad looks normal. That's not right. "How are your parents?"

"Umm...about that." He frowns. His pleasant voice trails off.

"What about it?"

Brad fills the space between us in two steps. "I'm sorry, I didn't know how else to get you here."

I gasp, horrified. "You made it up?!"

"I had to."

"No, you didn't!!" I blow up. "You should've left me alone. I ended us. I only came to console you. You lied about your parents being in critical condition!"

"I know."

"That's sick!"

"I need you." His voice cracks. "I'm doing better now."

"Something was strange about your texts. I should've stayed away. But I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I didn't think you could lie about something this serious!" I spit furiously. "You're sick!"

"It was wrong...I know."

"How about therapy? You need it."

"I still love you..."

"You need to accept that it's over."

"I'm crazy about you, Maddy. You're what gets me out of bed and to my sessions. I think of us."

"Find new inspiration!" I bark. "I'm marrying Jace. You saw the news; that's why you're doing this. You need to accept that I'm over you."

"Why are you here, then? Why did you give me the benefit of the doubt?!" Brad opposes. "I know it's because you still care. I know you thought about what we could be."

"No." I lie, knowing I did picture us waking up in bed wearing wedding rings.

"That's a lie." Brad retorts.

"It's not." My eyes don't believe the words.

Brad is aware of this. He brings his face closer to mine. Preparing to kiss me. For some reason, I don't protest. My mind goes back to the café. Of his fingers cradling my cheeks. The warmness of his touch trailing to my chin.

As if reading my mind, Brad repeats this romantic caress. The pace of my heart resembles cardiac arrest. It ceases to throb. His palms cup the side of my face in a blanket of heat. "Maddy." He whispers. "Give me another chance. I can't live without you." His lips latch onto mine.

I give in. Wondering what if. What if I stayed at his house on the night of the accident? How different would our story be? I did love him. I did. But not anymore. Even kissing him isn't the same. I feel nothing. His lips no longer possess the love language.

I push away. "I said what I needed! You're fucked up; we're over! Don't use me like this again!" I flash the mace as I step backwards down the stairs.

"Wait, just let me explain why you're here."

"Because you're an asshole who can't process that I moved on. Don't be a bad ex, just accept it."

"Wait." He pleads. "Please?"

I point the pepper spray at his face. He removes something from his pocket. I tense in fear...his hand unfolds something. All of my hostility vanishes, now replaced with astonishment. Brad holds out an engagement ring.

I'm speechless.

That's a ring he's holding! Why would he do this??! Why would he buy it? I feel objectified...like an accessory, a chess piece. This is a game to him. Brad is only doing this because of the news report. I want to say what I'm thinking but can't form the words. I'm a deer caught in headlights.

"Marry me." Brad gets down on one knee with a silver ring. It's simple, small, but striking. "AA is in my life until I redeem myself. I'm sorry for what I did. Let me make it up to you."

I stare at the ring with a ghost complexion. No...this is supposed to be Jace, not Brad! What is going on?! "Why are you doing this? I told you I'm marrying Jace. Did you only buy a ring because you saw the article??"

"No."

"This isn't a competition...."

"That's not why I bought it. I want you back."

"And I said I'm done with you."

"You're here."

I glare. "Because I thought it was an emergency. You took advantage by saying it was. You used me again."

"I didn't!"

"You haven't changed at all."

He balls his fist. "What do you think I've been doing all this time? For 2 months, I've been doing exactly that!" He fumes.

"Have you??" I retort while gripping the pepper spray. "Why does it seem like your anger is worse?"

Brad unclenches his fist and inhales to collect himself. This technique is effective. He calms down. "It isn't."

"I don't believe the words coming out of your mouth." I look him up and down. "And never will."

"So, you're saying no?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying." I descend the stairs. I rid the image of him on his knees from my mind. I have sympathy for his effort, regardless of rejecting him. It takes guts to be so vulnerable. My heart can't be that cold, but it must be. I have to be harsh. Still, I want to say I appreciate the effort...the time he took to pick out the diamond. The cash he spent on it. Even if it's a ploy. It takes nerves to go down on one knee.

My compassion overrules my anger. I halt and turn around to look at him. "I'm flattered, but it's a no." I soften my voice. "I'm sorry."

Brad stands, eyeing me with pure sourness. "No, you're not."

"I'm trying to end this nicely."

He pockets the ring. "Don't try to be nice after rejecting me!" He growls emotionally. "I just did the scariest thing possible, and you don't care. You're heartless!"

"And you're a damn stalker who needs to leave me the hell alone!" I continue my stride with more of a stomp. I don't dare to glance back again. All the consideration from before is gone.

"You never cared; you just hook men in and drop them. You fucking cold cunt!!"

WHAT THE FUCK?? IS HE SERIOUS? "Fuck off, you son of a bitch!" I grumble over my shoulder.

A stampede of footsteps from behind incites fear. "You fucking whore!"

I hurry down the stairway, only focusing on getting to the bottom. Once there, I spin to point my sprayer at him. Brad charges toward me like a crazed lunatic. I press and watch the defensive liquid string out. It misses his eyes due to my shaking hands. The most crippling doom I've ever felt disables me.

RUN!

I can't run. I'm in shock. Brad reaches me with a closed fist. He cocks an arm back. He's going to hit me! I aim the mace, preparing to spray his eyes, but my hands are still too shaky. My eyes pop from their sockets. I freeze in place, terrified. The guards tackle Brad to the ground. Screaming sound from all around.

The park visitors watch the chaos; some even record it. Alonso restrains my ex with one hand, not struggling at all. Brad's arms are behind his back. He tries to wiggle free, but the kung fu hold renders this useless.

Yet again, I witness another side of him I've never seen. A stranger I thought I knew foams at the mouth. A caged animal is what I compare his violent thrusts to. Is he even in AA? Everything he told me seems like a load of shit.

"Michael, escort Ms. Hart back to the tower. I'll handle it from here." I ignore the stares from others, who tune in as if it's a drama series.

"Come, Miss." Michael straightens from the ground and leads me down the payment. "Are you alright?" I remain mute because I'm not sure how to answer.

So crazy of Brad to plant a trap! Then try to make me out to be the bad guy. I'm nowhere near that. I can't believe he was about to attack me for turning him down. For telling him the truth. Hopefully, he gets it through his head to move on and leave me be. His raging jealousy hasn't improved.

I peer back as we power walk away. Brad squirms on the concrete like a crazed maniac. Alonso digs a knee into his back and says something I can't make out. I'm horrible at reading lips. Whatever he said gets Brad in check. He does the labored breathing again to mellow himself out.

I should have stuck with my instinct of calling his texts a bluff. This crazy ordeal wouldn't have happened. I've never seen someone I knew tackled like a criminal. How long were Alonso and Michael here? Did they see everything? Hear everything? Will they tell Jace? I hope not.

"Does Jace know about this?"

"No...the blackout meeting is still active."

"Please don't tell him!"

"We have to report everything." He's unfazed by my frantic request.

"Don't tell him; this was a mistake. Can we forget it???"

"I'm afraid you were sighted by the press. There's no hiding this. We have to get back before you're bombarded."

Oh no, I was seen by the press? This is bad. Really bad! Ugh! Why didn't I stay put?! I wish I had just made coffee and enjoyed the view.

On the street, where the light is green, I look out for the media. It's hard to tell the crowd apart since paparazzi are indistinguishable from normal people. They don't walk around with enormous cameras and long trench coats anymore.

What's wrong with me?! I was doing so well with my ex. Why did I relapse? This should've been a block-and-erase situation. This was so silly.

Once the light is red, Michael and I storm the crosswalk faster than anyone else. There's an actual pep in my step; the springing motion shakes the sunglasses I have on.

As I reach the curb, the accessory slips from my nose. My face is clear as day for the oncoming swarm of citizens. I prepare to be rammed by the crowd of people, but no one recognizes me. I'm relieved. I move along the sidewalk, passing people who couldn't care less about who I am.

There's no problem until we approach the tower. A group converses right at the entrance. The man in black steers me behind him. That's when I'm noticed. I'm reminded of angry bees; the posse floods toward me like a hyper hive.

"Run to the parking lot; security is waiting," Michael directs. He shields me by outing his wingspan; his arms buy me time to jet off. The bodyguard fends off the mob of loud reporters like a football player. I hear their yells even as I sprint:

"Is it true you're marrying Jace?!"

"How much attention do you want from this relationship?"

"Is it true that you got knocked up to trap J.H?!"

"You're a whore; go back to the pole!!"

"It must make you happy being the downfall of Strygent!"

"Where are you coming from?!"

"#CutOutTheHart!!!"

"Lose some weight, fat ass!!"

"Ever heard of implants?? Get an ass and some hips!!"

My mind is a whirlpool of sadness. Not just because of the insults, but because Jace will know what I've done. Their booming voices only add strain to my heart. I can't handle being attacked! Only because I know I'll face this again later. Jace will shout far worse than the crowd.

My eyes water: my throat locks up. I'm rescued once I hit the parking lot. Ten security guards form a protective circle around me. If only I could hide behind them forever. Hide from the media...hide from my future fiancé. If he'll still have me.

I'm dropped off on the 65th floor and am taken to the office door. I don't want to be in there. "Where's the restroom?"

"Right this way." A woman marches me to the ladies room.

Once inside, I splash my face with cold water. My heart feels strange...heavy. Is it anxiety?? I huff in and out and up the speed at which I dowse my face. The ice-cold water takes a few minutes before it calms me. I clear my eyes and brace myself on the counter.

This day is horrible. I'm praying it's a dream. I hold this stance while randomly drenching my face with water whenever my heart feels bizarre. My phone dings nonstop. Either Jace or Lil. I don't care. I need time to myself. Time to investigate why I did what I did. And how everything will change.

Jace's men had to see it all. They had to be there from the beginning. I doubt I outran trained professionals. The two must have thought I ran away to talk to a friend. We were just exchanging words at first. There wasn't a need to flee to me for my safety until Brad got aggressive.

"Ms. Hart?" It's Alonso. "Is everything alright?"

I pat my face to get rid of droplets of water and then go to open the door. "Yes, I'm alright."

"Good."

"You said you handled it. Where is he?"

"In a jail cell...until the boss orders otherwise."

"Orders otherwise? As in killing?" I stammer. "I know what you all did in Denver. Death isn't the answer."

He reacts to my words like a brick wall. "As I said until the boss orders otherwise." Alonso listens to his earpiece for a few seconds, then extends an arm out. "Come."

"Where?"

"The jet. Mr. Harrison is waiting."

I peep into the hallway, much like a scared child about to meet the boogeyman. "I'd rather stay here."

"You'd be easy to carry." His saucy accent is menacing.

That's true...he's at least 250 pounds of pure muscle. He could carry me... I don't want that embarrassment. I have enough already. I guess I can't live in the restroom. I give up protesting and exit. Okay, I can face this and admit my fault. I can do this.

The jet queues in place on the rooftop. The wings are active, although it's parked. The guard strolls to open its opened door. My feet stall.

I'm too scared to go in. Just tell him the truth and apologize. I have the messages to prove that I was tricked.

I board the craft, inching little by little as if there's a monster inside. I pass the entry way...and immediately regret it. Jace seethes in a recliner...he's beyond pissed. "Sit down!" His voice is rough.

I take the closest seat to him. "I can explain."

"No, stay quiet. I don't need an explanation; I was told what occurred. You ran off to see Brad! He was spotted with a ring. Nod, if this is correct." I do so, keeping my mouth locked. "Did you say no?" I nod again. "But you didn't leave...you stayed. Why didn't you leave?" I follow the rule of not speaking, giving a shrug to the question. "You have to know, Madison! You stayed! Long enough for him to assault you. I don't think this was the first time he's done it. Your response when I mentioned rape wasn't misworded. Was it?" I wag my head from side to side. "How far did it go? You can speak now."

"I stopped it."

"Then why are you still speaking to him?"

"I ended it when I threw the badge in the ocean. I don't know how he got my number. He was blocked. Brad messaged me; I didn't reach out to him."

"But you responded...."

"He said his parents were in a crash."

Jace squints. "I don't get why that would concern you. Why run to him? You could have sent your condolences and moved on."