Chosen Mate Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

--Drag your nose through those boobs, Harry, Oldman thought. Harry dutifully dropped his eyes to the offered sight and ogled away with the natural interest of all heterosexual men.

--Now, look at Sandra and see if she spotted that. Oops, busted!

The Formorian laughed to himself as the woman behind the glass stared back at the hairy man in pissed emotion. Her peeved moue increased as the hairy one deposited a chip on the tray.

Play began again as the blinds were laid out and cards dealt. He observed the emotion of the players as they looked at their cards. Nothing, check, no interest, call, something, call, he looked at his hand. Pocket jacks, call. The excited man to his left seemed interested again, call and small raise, nothing, fold, this brought play to the hairy man. There was some interest there, and anticipation. He called, even though the urge to raise filled his emotions. Big blind and little blind called. Then the two before him folded to the raise. The dealer burned and turned the flop.

The cards turned up, ace, ace, and jack. He had flopped a full house. He waited while play returned to him. It came quickly. Fold. Fold. The excited man was still excited. He had a high pair but not a jack. His cold eyes appraised the hairy man, as he fairly glowed with excitement, held close under his solemn face. Could he have aces?

"One thousand" he said pushing chips onto the felt. The excited man rushed to cover the bet.

"Call and raise a Thousand."

The hairy man looked at the excited man as if in deep contemplation but his emotions were dancing within him. At last, he called; reluctantly it seemed to the table, which should be a warning to them all. Big blind called, with a look of uncertainty and hope in his emotions that was pathetic in its hopeful quest.

He looked to the excited man and then to the hairy one. He would see another card.

"Call." The dealer burned another card then turned a king. The excited man's emotions were like fire in him as he waited for play to return to him. He was sure he was beat. Quiet confidence dominated the emotions within the hairy man.

"Check" The Formorian said confident that he was beat two ways now. The excited man seemed disappointed, turned to his remaining opponents, and said nastily.

"Five thousand" and began pushing stacks of chips. The woman was at the glass now as the chips piled up in the center of the table. She was applying lipstick to her full mouth; she watched the hairy man with the knowledge that she would soon be able to leave the uncomfortable stools of the casino and crawl in bed no matter the outcome at the table.

"Call and raise five thousand" The hairy man said pushing the chips out for the dealer to check

"Fold" Big blind said mucking his cards.

"Fold" He said also mucking his cards. His full house joined the discards. The excited man rushed his play immediately.

"All in," he said with an air of impending triumph. Fool, the Formorian said to himself as a smile played openly on the face of the hairy man.

"Call" he said and watched the excited man turn the pocket kings in his hand up confidently. The expression of victory died on his face as the hairy man turned his aces.

The excited man was excited no more. He was left with about a thousand dollars after the last card turned as a courtesy even though there was none that would help him.

"Color me up then I have to go to bed." The hairy man said to the dealer, turning as the woman walked up to him.

--Hawk, do you have him? Sandra called as she walked away with Harry.

--Yes San dra na. We see the Black One. What would you have us do? Leonard asked, watching him from the rows of slots.

--Follow him. Do not be seen. Find out where he goes. Report to Donna when you find his lair.

--It will be done, Leonard said to her, and then spread his team around the Formorian and waited.

***

The Formorian watched the hairy man walk away. He drank coffee from his cup while the woman carried the stacks of trays filled with chips. His free hand played about her ass as he followed her to the cashier. Lucky man, he said to himself, and turned to the now not so excited man. He looked at the chips left around the table and decided that there was plenty left for him.

"Bad beat," he said, smiling. "Glad I folded."

***

--This is the most boring road you've ever been on, Oldman said, and there have been plenty.

--Yeah, I have haven't I. Harry thought of all the wonderfully eventless miles he could rack up behind the wheel of Sandra's Caddy Cat.

--But you know, there is one thing that is good about this this kind boring.

--Yeah, It's ours. We rule in the woods, he said with a glance in the mirror. ...Don't start talking about environment again either. I haven't tripped over a path in a while. Tell me, what are the odds of labeling all those junctions?

Oldman became quiet and still in his mind calculating. He was soundless for a very long time as Harry drove toward the state line and the nearby city, bisected by the mighty river that again bisected the country; then, all its tributaries again sliced the rest into little pieces of pie, Daniel had said. He returned his attention to Oldman's unthinking examination into the permutations of probability.

--Are you still hitting those two numbers again? Oldman's continued silence was the only answer. Harry leaned back in the solitary unending quiet. Settling deep in the cushioned comfort, he assumed a relaxed mile eating posture. Sandra whispered to him.

--We need to ask him that question more often. A smile played at her lips; she watched the countryside disappear behind them as they continued northward. She looked at him, feeling his thoughts on her.

--What? She asked searching his mind gently; leaning on the armrest, she took his hand in hers. The elfin qualities of her face looked up at him.

--Are you hungry? You're eating for three now. He said, implicating Oldman's preoccupation with the spark of life within her. She laughed; the musical sound never ceased to please him.

--Believe me; I'm not hungry. He ran me through the buffet twice before I could get away to pack. He says he's doing a study of Fay physiology. He monitors everything in my body but there is nothing to compare it with.

Harry placed his hand on her belly over the life there, the impossible life that the three of them had quickened by the river. The same night that they created their spawn of Halfling children; and, the same morning the twined trio sent the emotional blast of joined energy to the tiny minds that spun over the song blessed pool of their birth. Harry became as unspeaking as Oldman. She leaned against his shoulder and sighed, as the outskirts of Memphis passed by in her blurred vision.

***

Gerry met with a gray-haired old gentleman with a tranquil demeanor that looked to have missed few pleasures in his life. He reminded Gerry of the genteel planters from a forgotten age. He studied the thoughts of the portly man, dressed in a white suit.

The quiet luxury of the tasteful lobby where they concluded their negotiations had always been a favorite of his; he was pleased to meet the businessperson there. He admitted curiosity as to why the big man was leasing the two buildings; there was not much there to speak of. They met at the location. When told he could have his choice of the two, that stood side by side at the downtown intersection, he had taken both after a short call.

"This is a beautiful city," Gerry said to him, signing the paperwork and agreements.

"Yes, it is a fine city," the gentleman said, looking around the lobby in a self-indulgent manner. "I've always loved this old hotel. I've seen many an occasion here. In fact, my granddaughter has her sixteenth birthday party here next week. I may stay the night then." Gerry looked at the man appraising him closely.

"A soirée, that sounds like so much fun. He watched the twinkling eyes as he replied with animation.

"Oh yes, we do have a marvelous time when we are here." Gerry reached in his pocket and produced a card, which he signed with a flourish and handed to the man.

"Here, give this to your granddaughter for her 16th with our complements and felicitations.

"How very kind of you," he said, peering at the card he held. "The Fringe, sounds like a rock and roll band. What is it?" He looked intently at Gerry, who answered.

"That is the buildings you just leased us. I don't know if it will be open by next week; but I have all our product lines with us. That card is good for any of our accessories she chooses.

"Accessories you say," he looked at the card again. "Fine hand crafted leather goods," he read.

"Yes and here come my models," he said, rising from the comfortable armchair with Mr. Abernathy. Maddie and Donna stepped down into the sunken sitting room of the lobby.

"They are stunning," he remarked, as they walked up to the two men. He gave a little half bow as they halted by the men, looking expectantly to the gray haired gentleman as Gerry introduced them.

"Mr. Abernathy may I present Mrs. Maddie Hill, and my wife Donna, ladies, Mr. Abernathy. Mr. Abernathy has just leased us the building you picked out sweetheart." Donna made human woman noises of interest.

"Your servant, ladies, and by all means, please call me Abraham." His eyes sparkled as Maddie held out her hand that he took in a brief clasp of greeting and a short bow. He admired the pale suede shawl with delicate lines of fringe running over it on Maddie's shoulders. "That is an unusual color."

"We only use natural dyes in our line. It takes longer to produce, but we feel that the result is worth the effort. Harry's always looking for new colors." Maddie said informatively. "He's been experimenting with blackberries and elderberries for the longest time now; but he hasn't been happy with the result, although, he has made some nice wine. Abraham raised from his examination of Donna's knee length dress.

"Experimentation is applaudable," he espoused with an amused, informed smile gracing his sparkling eyes as he returned his face to hers. "...And wine is always welcome."

***

Harry walked across the marble floor to the desk while Sandra made for the group in the sitting room. He watched her animated conversation with Mr. Abernathy. The attending clerk came forward.

"Harry Hill, I believe you have a reservation for me?" Sandra's laughter sounded in musical tones across the lobby. The clerk confirmed the reservation, after a glance at his features.

"Yes, Mr. Hill, You have adjoining rooms with Mr. Faison. Harry took the keys, feeling in his pockets for money and finding none, he gave the man a black chip from them. "Thank you, sir." said the smiling clerk; "your bags will be taken to your room. Front!" he called with a ding of a bell as Harry went to join Gerry.

"Sandra, Take these. I thought I had gotten rid of them all," Harry said emptying his pockets of the chips that were there and searching about finding more. Abraham was calculating the chips in his head and spoke.

"A gambling man, are you Mr. Hill? You must come to one our games, just a few of the local boys that do enjoy a good game of chance."

--Not the way we play it, said Oldman, pulled away from his calculations by the promise of sport.

"I would be honored if you were to include me in one of your games Abraham," Harry replied, ignoring the comment. "Are you hungry?" He asked, turning to Sandra, Donna and Maddie. "Is it too early for tea?"

"It's never too early for tea," Abraham interrupted. "Come ladies; let's see if they will trot the trolley out for us." He took Maddie's arm and led the women toward the dining room with a glance to Gerry.

"We'll meet you there." Gerry said, "After a word to business."

***

--You heard about The Black One that showed at the casino last night? Harry said immediately.

--It is well in hand. Do not worry. Remember, there is much danger here. Your close encounter with the Black One was unexpected, a low probability meeting. You were not prepared. Now please, speak so you can be heard. Gerry spoke aloud. "We have our buildings."

"You're kidding." He said to Gerry, amazed and pleased that they were already in possession.

"We just need our licenses and a quick cosmetic renovation and we are ready to begin business. They are in very first rate shape; Mr. Abernathy takes good care of his buildings. Leonard is already there with his crew and Mira and Lori." I told them to turn the top floors of the buildings into living quarters before beginning on the ground shops. They've unloaded my truck and gone shopping and looking in furniture stores"

"Shops?" Harry asked. Rapid thoughts emanated from Gerry as he told of the revised plan.

***

The activity in the two building was like no renovation that Harry had ever seen. The Fay moved about in a blurring dance. The room resembled a time lapse recording as they worked. He felt Gerry coming across the room, but was unable to turn his attention from the bizarre ballet that moved about him. 'Whop!'

--Come outside Harry. The pressure of his hand turned him through the papered over door and outside; the now empty streets echoed with quiet. ...After we were surprised at Tunica, Daniel decided to increase our initial strength and deepen our security. There is a six-person team spread around us. Can you see them?

Harry looked about while Oldman snickered at his inability to locate the security team. The streets were empty; no one was in sight. Gerry was pleased that he saw no one.

--Sentry, your name please, he asked the empty streets.

--Leo nar di, the Fay answered in their minds. ...Ger ri na, I greet you. Harry still saw no one.

--Another Leonard, Oldman said. ...I have to keep you straight. What armor do you wear?

--Yes Oldman, I'm sorry for the confusion. I wear the brown armor of the groundhog.

--Then that's what I'll call you. Oldman declared.

--Can I continue? Gerry asked Oldman. ...If you are finished, that is. Oldman waved a mental hand of permission. He began again, watching Harry's searching eyes as he did so. ...We will call you Leon, with your permission. Leon will you please say 'boo' for Harry.

"Boo." Harry jumped as the voice sounded very close and behind him. He turned, examining the shadowed doorway that the word had come from, but still saw nothing.

--Now, move for him, if you please. The edge of the door wavered. Harry sent his awareness outward and felt him there. Harry expanded it slowly as he walked into the empty street. Leon had dissolved into the background when he turned. He began to find them around the architecture of the buildings and greeted each as he did so. He quested further around and found all else near empty except for a wreck of a man one ally over, burning with the soul fire of his broken life.

--Make sure he is fed when the kitchen is finished, Harry said. ...And see what you can do to quench the flames in him; it is not too late. He glanced up, continuing his search, and found Mira on the roof above him. He moved with Gerry, back into the building and up the three flights of stairs.

The roof looked the same as any other; its flashings and drains were escorted by the many things that sprouted from them it, as they vented, cooled, or heated the spaces below. He looked to where Mira blended in with the prolific jumble of protrusions.

--Mira, I greet you. I heard you were here; what are you doing? He questioned, curious to her reason.

--I greet you Har ri na. I am filling in until the additional forces arrive. I am waiting for the next strange dog to cross your path too. There is much work for me here.

--Take care you aren't bitten. Oldman said quietly.

--Excuse me; I have communications duty as well. Owl is here with supplies and additional personnel. She turned away. ...Owl, hold for security check please. Street watch, Owl is on station, please say situation.

--Air is clean Guardian. The homeless man is one block over but in no position to view the sky over River Base.

...You may approach Owl. We are standing by.

Harry increased his awareness again and found the first LTA prototype coming down from high above like a bead on a string. It reversed its thrust, slowing above the roof, then rotated level, descending gently to them. It was large and covered both roofs. Fay jumped out, holding the craft down with their clinging weight, as they disembarked and began loading what looked like body bags to re-equalize the trim of the craft.

Harry waved to Edgar, visible in the small window of the cockpit under the body, well back from the hole in the nose. His grin covered his face as Harry took in the craft with his hungry eyes.

--Wait until you get one Dreamer; this bird loves the sky. Harry said nothing as he took in the lines of the craft. The matte finish made it difficult to examine. He was happy for Edgar; he too seemed to fly like a bird after his release from the captive duty of his long services as temple protector. He was remanded to the freedom of family and flight. ...Are you finished with cargo, Guardian? I have two more trips to make tonight.

--Yes Ed gar ri, hold for clearance. Street watch, say skies.

--Clean Air, Guardian.

--Owl you are clear for egress; the air is clean. Edgar laughed merrily and said.

--Release, it floated upward, rotating slowly to vertical as the lateral trim ball moved aft, pointing the nose at the sky. ...I will be back tomorrow night Dreamer. We will drink the night away and then I will examine this city of humans closely. Perhaps I will find things to do here that may amuse me more than wine. Perhaps there is work for me here too.

Edgar talked aloud to the LTA as he left the roof with the bodies of the six gang members destined to become fertilizer in the middle world under Backwater. "Well, Night Hunter, there are a few less humans in the world. If we can't kill them, at least we can haul their dead bodies away."

Harry felt the buffet of air as the LTA accelerated quietly away into the darkness. He was vaguely worried at the thought of Edgar loose on the streets of Memphis. He followed it's progress, as it moved away in the dark night then descended once again near the state park at the extreme southwest corner of Tennessee; it drifted south along the river, skirting civilization then eastward over the forests of north Mississippi.

***

The change in Lori, the terrified young Fay found in Tunica, was dramatic. No longer did she appear to be a buxom blonde. When given her choice of cover identities, she chose a dark haired 30ish woman with a gypsy accent. Her frozen, plastic, smile and the expertly assumed illusion was all the armor she needed against the outside world.

Her mental condition was much improved. After a short visit to Backwater for a debriefing and instruction, it was decided to include her with the Memphis team. Her long unaided survival so near the frequented haunts of the Black Ones, was invaluable.

Harry looked about the third floor as they began what Lori called Operation Rescue. The Fay loved these exercises as a way to keep ready, no matter how ridiculous. He had seen the teams tracking wandering cats and dogs during their bored watchfulness. Armed readiness had been their watch words for a long time. Edgar's telling of the events leading to their present situation as long hunted and harried recipients of the Formorian malignance resulted in increasing their paranoia and preparation two fold.

The third floor over the Fringe was filled with activity. There was a room with sleeping shifts of the off duty security teams. Donna talked while they waited for the operation to commence.

"We are in communication with 'Home' now. There is much to interest Father and the council at the Temple. He says, he has things to show you when you are able to return, but he would not speak of them.