Chosen Mate Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
HarryHill
HarryHill
98 Followers

Harry moved to another group of screens that showed the streets and alleys surrounding their location.

--Nothing moves around here without our knowledge. What do you say, Oldman? I feel your thoughts.

--I wouldn't want anyone to see this room, Oldman said. She laughed in his senses and replied.

--By the time they find this room there would be great trouble. Oldman chuckled then in delight, replying.

--We could always say it was the paranoia of eccentric man. Donna watched Harry for a moment as he moved around the monitors, watching them as he did from the windows of the café.

--Yes, she said, ...paranoia is expensive for an eccentric man. He should go back to work soon.

--Target is approaching from the south. He is very cautious but he comes. The sentry's thought caused Harry to move to another monitor.

So far the man had been reluctant to speak to any of the disguised Fay that came near. He always moved away, as strangers entered his considerable comfort zone. He was visible in the monitors as he moved down the alley now.

--Orphan you may begin when ready. Harry watched the screen that showed the alley behind. Lori timed her exit from the backdoor of the café perfectly as the long haired and bearded man came near. She seemed startled by the sudden encounter, and made it seem as if he was the one at fault.

"What are you doing there?" She clasped a hand to her breast and dropped the bag of trash that conveniently held choice bits of food like the one that had finally lured his growling stomach the night before.

"Nothing lady, I'm just passing through. I don't want any trouble." He made as if to leave.

"Wait." He turned back at the command in her voice, giving her small nervous glances. "Come closer." His eyes flickered about, looking for danger, as he stepped into the light. "Do you drink?" He blinked at the unexpected question and replied in an irritated voice.

"I am not a drunkard lady, but I do drink." He shuffled his feet uncomfortably, his eyes glancing at the bag.

"Do you have a job?" He was silent, looking at his feet. She felt his pain burn at the unexpected question and was glad that Harry became involved. His stomach groaned and he made as if to move away.

"Are you hungry?" He met her eyes and fixed smile then and she saw many hungers there.

"Yes I am." he said simply.

"Come!" Lori said, walking back into the building. "Close the door behind you. What is your name?"

"Bob," he said, hesitating for a moment at the entrance, then followed and shut the door.

--All call signs, Rescue is enabled. Orphan will co-ordinate. Kitchen is off limits until further notice.

Harry watched the monitor of the kitchen where Bob moved around Lori as she heaped a plate with food. He reminded him of a stray dog, slinking around, careful not to get too close to anyone. Bob followed her to the tables in the front. The shades were drawn and the door locked. No one would disturb them by sight or presence until she was ready.

Lori pressed him down into a chair and left for the kitchen, talking as she walked. He seemed startled by her touch, but sat before the plate willingly and began to eat. She returned with two beers and sat across the table, placing a bottle near him. He looked at it; his hand reached out slowly to its dewed surface, raised it to his mouth and drank. He sighed in appreciation. Placing it back gently on the table, with a quick glance at Lori, he began eating again as her gentle, soothing voice continued.

--Ready for phase two, Lori said as he neared the bottom of the plate. The loud, rapid, clatter of footsteps coming down the stairs startled him. He relaxed when he saw the young woman who ignored him and went to the kitchen, returning with a huge plate of brownies. She sat with them and began eating.

"Hey Lori, who's your friend?" He looked at her from the safety of his down turned face; the plate of brownies drew his eye for a moment, then returned to her as he continued to eat.

"This is Bob. He's going to be working in the kitchen with us." Bob was startled by the news.

"Oh good. I'm making turnover tomorrow. I'll have to be up before dawn to get started.

"You should make the dough now and let it rise. That will give you a head start tomorrow.

"Good Idea, come on Bob; we'll get started if you're finished. Mira said with enthusiasm.

"Don't rush Mira, he hasn't even had a brownie yet.

***

Much later that night, Mira would not let him leave because it was so late when they finished. The eccentric man, that the business belonged to had set the alarms and retreated to his lair on the third floor, 'To peer out the windows no doubt," she said. She showed him a small neat room near the back door with fresh sheets and a blanket; it was beside a bathroom with shower and towels, washcloths, soap, and an abundant supply of toilet paper.

"The room comes with the job. Lori and I share one above. Sleep, Lori will wake us in four hours. You can catch up on your rest after lunch tomorrow, goodnight Bob." She smiled, then left.

He heard her footsteps go to the steps, creaking up them to the floors above. He yawned widely and walked back in the kitchen, looking at the piles of dough rising under their blankets of cloth, and smiled. He showered long under the streams of hot water and toweled dry. He carried his clothes back to the room, locking the door and crawling into the sweet feel of the sheets, falling quickly into sleep.

***

"Bob?" Lori called at the door of the small room. She woke him from the erotic dreams that had rocked him softly in their arms after Mira had released him from his duties as assistant dough maker. The feel of breast and limb still clung in his mind as Lori called again, a little louder and more playfully.

"Robert, it is time to work again. Come out of those sheets or I will have to drag you from them as I did Mira." He sat up, pulling the sheets to cover his waist. A look of embarrassment covered his face as he looked to his clothes, discarded on the straight backed chair on the opposite wall. Lori's head followed his eyes to the clothes, then turned back to him.

"I see you sleep as I do." She smiled, turning away to the door and calling, "Mira!" A yawning Mira stuck her head in the door, looking about sleepily and smiling.

"Good morning Bob," she said to him, then turned irritated eyes to Lori. "Why are you yelling?"

"Bob needs clean clothes for the kitchen. Get some from one of the construction boys. These go in the washer. Get some white painters pants with no paint, a white t-shirt, socks." Her eye fell to the worn shoes on the floor, but she was silent for the moment. Her eyes turned to him again.

"See Gerry if you need money. You will know him when you see him. He looks like a football player." She looked at Mira who still leaned against the door.

"Go, the ravenous horde will descend on us soon." She turned back to the man under the shield of his sheet. "Bob, you have maybe fifteen minutes before Mira returns, maybe more if she begins talking; use them well." One more glance, and she was gone. He struggled into his pants and left for the bathroom; he sat there, thinking for a while behind the locked door. All the glorious rolls of toilet paper kept him company.

Bob, Robert to his friends in his old life, was happy. He was still a broken man; but now, he had new friends, warm food, and welcome companionship. He also had the best thing of all; he had work.

***

"Robert, the turnovers are ready," Mira called to him later that morning. He took the rack of turnovers from the stove and put them to cool; after a bite of his own turnover and a sip of coffee, he began rolling dough again with a smile.

***

The buildings were habitable by the morning of the third day. The paper had been removed from the windows and doors and the glass cleaned. Mira and Lori had taken up residence on the second floor from the first and now had comfortable rooms. The kitchen of the former restaurant was clean and working well. They were feeding Leonard's crew and the security teams that were off duty. Harry leaned back in his chair, looking out the window at the light traffic and drinking coffee.

--Café Fringe, Oldman said to himself as he looked around the dining room.

--Great idea, Gerry said, dropping his toast and scribbling in his pad while looking at the leather items hung around the walls. He made notes on which items were to be removed from those packed in boxes.

A man walked by the glass front of the cafe'; glancing in at the room full of diners, he looked at his watch and made for the entrance. The bell over the door rang as he walked in and sat at a table, put his coat on the chair, and began working on a laptop. Lorie came up to him. The natural actions of those in the room never varied as they continued to eat. Her practiced appearance was relaxed as she waited for instructions concerning him.

"Just coffee," the man said as he continued to work. She looked to Harry then Gerry, who still ate with no visible interest in the man. Harry shrugged; she left for the kitchen. He turned his chair back to the table shared with Gerry, watching the man. He was dressed for business and his mind was intent on a meeting. Gerry glanced up from his plate to Harry, the man, then back to his plate.

Lori walked back to the table with a mug of coffee, a spoon in it, and a small container of sweeteners.

"Thanks." He said, still intent at his work. "What's that wonderful smell?"

"We're making turnovers for lunch, but there may be none left by then." She answered, glancing with a displeasured thought to the guilty looking operations team that devoured them with breakfast. Their actions did not halt with her words, although, many grins covered the delighted disposal of the turnovers.

"Bring me one of those too" Her mind looked to Harry for instructions.

--Go ahead. Harry's smiling thought was shared by all at the impending joke being played out on the man. He ate the pastry that Lori brought with relish while completing his tasks and closing the laptop. He gazed into his mug, empty in spite of Lori's persistent efforts to keep it filled. He looked around; Lori came to him.

"How much do I owe you? He asked, drawing his wallet out and glancing to the watch on his wrist. At last Gerry spoke, pushing away his plate, and turning his attention to the man, with a smile.

"I'm sorry, sir, we can't take your money. We're not open for business yet." The man glanced about in shock at the full tables around him and then up at Lori, who had the same gentle smile that had graced her face from the beginning. The room broke up in laughter at the look on his face.

Gerry introduced himself to the man, explaining the crew, that seemed to be diners, were in fact doing the renovation. The team were housed and fed here, so that opening would be rushed. He began explaining the venture, with punctuating gestures to the hanging items. Jeremy Shelby listened and asked a lot of questions.

Harry left at the ding of the bell, going to the door when warned by security. He met Abraham as he entered. Harry shook his hand as he was introduced to his granddaughter and a friend that seemed to be intrigued by the offered gift. Harry motioned for Mira and called for Sandra silently. Abraham was distracted as he gazed at the clean spaces, so different from the dusty empty building he had leased on Monday. His eyes appraised the room.

"My word, there's Jeremy." He looked to the center, the smiling recipient of tomfoolery sat filled with coffee and pastry at their expense as well as his own; they joked with him, Harry told Abraham of the joke. His eyes filled with entertained delight with the telling.

"Do you want to have some fun Abraham? His face lit with mischief.

"Oh, certainly, Jeremy considers himself quite the joker." His eyes turned roguish. "What do you have in mind?" Harry described his plan as Abraham chuckled with joy. Oldman's thought informed Gerry of the increased scope of the joke.

Abraham escorted the girls upstairs with Mira, and then left while the excited squeals examined the goods there. He came back down the stairs, then opened and closed the door swiftly, causing the bell to ring loudly.

"Here comes another one," Gerry said, giving Jeremy a nudge. "Remember, not a word."

"That's my uncle. He owns some buildings around here." Jeremy answered lowly. Abraham moved into the room, calling to him on recognition.

"Jeremy, what are you doing here?" He moved to the table and sat. The crew were busy at their plates again.

"Uncle Abraham! It's good to see you. I am just having some breakfast before a meeting. Join me." Lori waited at his side, her uniformed smile placed decoratively on her face.

"Tea," said Abraham with an inquisitive look. "What is that delightful smell?" Lori answered sweetly.

"We're baking turnovers for lunch, if there are any left by then." She looked to where the workers were still intent on the depletion or removal of turnovers from lunch's menu.

Jeremy smiled as his uncle talked of friends and family. He thought of the developing joke as it neared its crescendo. Many secretive winks joined the joke with him. Abraham pulled out his wallet. Jeremy grinned, anticipating the end as the final chords struck.

"How much do I owe you?" He asked Lori. She laid a hand on his shoulder; a smile covered her face as she examined Jeremy.

"Nothing Abraham, you can eat here free anytime." Jeremy's expression showed confusion as the expected melody of the prank turned away. All became quiet. Abraham turned back to Jeremy.

"Did Gerry charge you for breakfast?" Jeremy looked at the crowded room; everyone was busy looking elsewhere. He looked to his uncle, so fond of a joke, and knew by his scarcely controlled amusement that he was pranked, and well at that. Then he spoke the words he knew would again amuse them.

"No, they're not open yet." Laughter played over him again. He smiled crookedly and then joined in.

***

Gerry turned his thoughts to Leonard and his crew, still snickering as Jeremy headed for the door.

"Breakfast tomorrow, Jeremy!" One called; they all broke up in laughter as Jeremy waved a hand in the air and made his escape back to the pressures of his job.

--Will there be work today? Gerry thought sternly. They laughed in his mind and Leonard called.

--Yes, Ger ri na. Today we dig! The silent cheers of the Fay accompanied the scraping of chairs as they descended the stairs that led to the basement.

--At Last, Mira called from the kitchen. ...A decent shower. Will you have more coffee now Har ri na? Gerry smiled, looking to Harry as he watched out the window, then glanced down in his cup.

--Is everyone ready for Rescue to continue? All the players in the next act gave their assent.

--And Action! Called Oldman in their thoughts. Cue Lori. Giving a mental headshake of forbearance, she walked into the kitchen.

***

"Robert, take Harry coffee; he will be out by now. Take turnovers too, or he will forget to eat until lunch." He washed his hands and dried them on a towel, peeping out the door of the kitchen at the two men. The long haired and bearded one sat in front of the window, looking at it as if it was a T.V. screen and the activity on the far side was there for his amusement. The other was busy with papers, and must be the one called Gerry. Lori made little hurrying motions with her hands. He left the security of the kitchen, armed with a pot of coffee and a plate of turnovers.

Harry turned at the clatter of the plate on the table and set his mug out to be filled. While Bob poured, Gerry looked up at the hidden eyes that were intent to escape notice and retreat to the kitchen.

"Bob, sit with us awhile. You look like you need a break anyway, Lori! Bring a cup for Bob." He sank reluctantly to a chair. Lori came with the mug. She placed her hand on Bob shoulder while they talked. He seemed to calm like a skittish animal with her touch.

"Thanks for helping us," Gerry began. "Keeping these guys fed is a pain; but they're worth it. Don't take them too serious. Jokes seem to be the oil they run on."

"Robert needs uniforms for the kitchen if we are to get our license." Lori said. "All of us do." Gerry began writing in a note pad.

"Is there anything else?" He looked at Bob, his bright blue eyes holding him. Bob shook his head no.

"He needs money." Bob tried to protest as Gerry pulled bills from his wallet then laid five twenties on the table. "Bob, you will come with Mira and me when we shop this afternoon and carry things for us." Lori informed him and left.

Sandra, Donna, and Maddie came down the stairs laughing. They were followed by Abraham and the girls. Bob looked like he might make his escape, but was stopped by Gerry's hand; he filled Bob's cup and remarked.

"Here come the brains of our venture. Meet our wives." His eyes turned.

Bob looked at the two women moving into the room and undulating past the tables toward them. They were beautiful and expensively dressed. Their clothes were like nothing he had seen before. He got to his feet as they drew near the table.

"Who is this fellow?" A small woman with curly hair and glasses was examining him from her position beside the two women. It had been hard to see anything but them as they glided across the room.

"Ma'am, this is Bob. He has joined the kitchen staff." Harry smiled as Maddie focused her attention on him.

--Here we go, Oldman said to them, as Maddie looked closely at Bob. Harry let his smile spread over his face, as Bob stood there in front of the cannonade of questions that were bearing on the helpless defenses of the man.

"Maddie Hill," she said, extending her hand to him and smiling. "What's your last name? How do you like working here?"

"Robert Raines, Miz Hill. I like the work." Her hand was firm in his; he felt the strength in her bones that lay under the skin. Cracks ran across his fortifications as the woman, who reminded of his own irascible aunt that had raised him, began to engage him in conversation.

--He's toast. Oldman said.

***

He washed dishes after breakfast that morning then made chili with the instruction of Maddie. The old woman had pursued him as he went about his duties. Questions flew from her as she 'helped' him prepare the large pot of chili for lunch. It only held five gallons. He had doubts it would survive the depredations of the men who had eaten breakfast with such gusto.

After lunch had been set to simmer, they left in an old white van, to shop they said; he had no idea it would take so long. They drove to a department store where Lori picked out clothes for him. He stood as they held apparel upon him, talking as if he weren't there. He was shushed when he tried to speak and reduced to pushing the cart behind them as they explored every aisle in the store. The grocery was next and mercifully shorter.

They parked by the back door of the cafe'. Bob brought the food items in first, filling the walk in cooler and putting the non-perishable items in the large pantry adjoining the kitchen. He piled the remainder of the purchases on a table, and then carried a large basket of the workers clean clothes from the dryer to the second floor apartment, shared by the women. He heard the shower running and Mira singing. He left the basket on the floor and returned below, taking his bags to his room; he placed them on the chair that was the only furniture beside the bed. He sat on the bed and looked at the first new clothes owned in a year. Lori called from the kitchen with more instructions.

He was sent again with the women's purchases to the top floor. He found Mira, nude, folding clothes past the open door to the living room. He stood for a moment in shock and indecision. Mira pointed to a door, with no move to hide. Yawning widely, she said.

HarryHill
HarryHill
98 Followers