Christmas Bachelor Auction

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The restaurant has an old-world charm, a lodge feel. Lots of dark wood, low lighting, large tables in the middle and horseshoe booths along the sides. Fine white starched linen tablecloth, oversized yet ornate silverware. A bowl with a candle in the center surrounded by fresh flowers fishes off the table. It is a cozy place.

A server promptly shows up for drink and appetizer orders. We both order a scotch and water with potato skins for the appetizer. I sit looking at her, unsure what to say. She seemed to be the same, unsure where to start.

I broke through the silence and her tears, "I am sorry. Sorry for the trouble I caused you. Sorry for the hurt you endured. Sorry for leaving the family. Sorry for not being a better man. I am relieved to see you have left that part of your life behind. You are wearing a beautiful dress, paid too much for me, but seem to be doing well. I am happy for you."

Donna blushes, "I am doing ok these days, I pay the bills, I can't complain. You can't believe how good it is too see you after these years. I was afraid you would run off when you saw it was me. I figured you would still hate me after what I did to you."

I scoffed, "It was a funny joke, not your fault dad was drunk again. I was worried about you. I knew you enjoyed boys and you didn't have money for condoms. I thought I was being protective."

With a tear in her eye she said, "You were and that was sweet. I was so touched by your gesture I had to joke and say, 'thank you, but you didn't need to use them with me' to cover my real feelings for you."

She giggled even now, yet I could see the hurt.

Our drinks and food arrived. We ordered our entrees.

I not so fondly remember the beating I took from my dad that evening. He thought she was serious. I remember stumbling to a close friend's house. They took me to the ER. I explained how I could not press charges because dad would end up in jail and then they would have no income. It was better if I left my dad, mom, and two sisters. My friend and his parents understood. In my mind, without me, my family was better off.

My friend's mom had a wealthy sister Peggy, that was single. Christmas day, we go to her house. Peggy and I quickly became very close and each other's best friend. She put me through engineering school, I was top of my class, and now I develop lots of new and useful things. I have over 100 patents.

Donna shook me out of my revere, "I asked, how are you? Why aren't you married?"

I blushed, "Sorry, lots of memories just flashed through my head. I am well. I work for a great company. I have an awesome team, some of the world's best minds. I develop new and innovating products that help the world, especially poor countries. I feel good in that I am making a difference. People are living better because of me and my team."

She narrows her eyes, "And your love life?"

I try to smile, "Not quite as successful there. Too much work and too much money attract the wrong women. I had two significant role models for what a woman should be and most don't meet the standards."

That seemed to be the right answer, she was absolutely beaming.

I inquired, "What about you?"

I was shot down, "When you pay $150,000 for me, I will answer all your questions. Meet any interesting women lately?"

I smile again, "Yes." That saddened her. "At the benefit, the old lady you bet against was quite interesting. Old, yet very energetic, and full of life. We hit it off right away. Before I forget, I have a present for your daughter."

I hand over the small box. Donna is in shock.

I explain, "It had to be a very boring evening for her, yet she seemed like an amazing child. I hope she likes it."

Donna looked at me lovingly now, "That was very sweet of you. Why not a toy?"

I chuckle, "If you can blow $150,000 on me, there is no doll you can't buy for her."

Donna got teary eyed. I must have said something bad.

I continued, "Tell her that I love her and to me, she will always be my little princess."

Our food came, it was wonderful. During dinner I got a text message from work, an experiment had finished.

I took that opportunity to text John, "Have Baxter follow my date home, it's my sister Donna. I want to know everything about her and her family. Something isn't right."

Baxter is a private eye I use to check up on prospective girlfriends.

We skipped dessert since we had more to do and would eat something later. I left a $100 tip, the server seemed very appreciative.

Donna looked at me as I left the hundred on the table with awe.

I explain with a smile, "In college I was low on money. I didn't want to ask for more than I needed. I worked at a restaurant clearing tables and later as a waiter. I hated cheap tippers. Most of our income was tips, some days I didn't even earn minimum wage. There was one very attractive older woman that left me a $50 bill. I remember feeling special. I like to return that feeling."

I helped her put on a thin coat and we walked outside into the cold. A carriage was waiting. I took Donna's willing hand and we step into the carriage and go for a ride. Neither of us had ever done this before. Her coat was too thin, I wrapped her up with my coat and we shared a heavy blanket the driver gave us.

The horse was pure black but had a red bow on it's head. I assume its tied to the bridle. The carriage was white with gold trimmings. The spokes of the huge wheels were red. There were some bumps but overall, it was a smooth ride. A light snow was falling making it a surreal feeling. Children out shopping with their parents stopped to look at the horse and wave at us.

It was a very romantic ride. Donna was like a little child, staring at the Christmas lights and the people enjoying their shopping. She put her head on my shoulder and curled up in my arms, just as I remember us doing as children. I hold her hands, she is chilled, no gloves. I gave her my gloves; my love for Donna was keeping me warm. It was a beautiful night and I was with a beautiful woman.

The ride ended too soon but our next stop in this fairy tale was here, the ice rink. I rented skates and we moved to the ice. I had not skated in ... had I ever? I am athletic, but that seemed to have no correlation to ice skating. Almost immediately I was on my ass. Donna was just the opposite, she was graceful.

I realize I have been set up. She wanted me helpless and reliant on her. I was, her plan was a complete success. With her help and instructions, I was soon able to skate if I had her hand for balance. Did I really need it? Did I not want it? Interesting. I never let go and I think Donna preferred it that way. She owned me tonight.

Donna was about as happy as I can remember. She smiled and giggled, just like the young woman I remember. All too quickly it was 11:30 and they are closing. We swapped to cold shoes and I returned the rentals.

When moving around on the ice, it wasn't so bad, I didn't feel the cold. When we stopped, the lake's cool breeze made it much colder. Fortunately, as we walked along the path, hand in hand by the lake, a gentleman had a blanket set up on the ground with a small table, a camping lamp, Christmas lights, a heater, blankets, hot chocolate, and some delicious chocolate cheesecake, Donna's favorite. Her eyes light up at seeing the display.

I grinned from ear to ear, "I had my driver John set this up. He outdid himself I would say."

Donna stood amazed, "No, I think he did just right."

The ground was frozen, but John put down a tarp and several blankets making the ground nice and soft. I helped Donna sit, her dress didn't make it easy.

Donna sat thinking, "You had no idea it would be me. That means you do this stuff all the time. Your confusing me, how do women resist you?"

I laugh, "They don't. Usually by now I have a marriage proposal."

She laughed at me, "Any more of this and I might be tempted."

Ah ha, she is single. Interesting.

She caught herself, "... if I were single that is."

She now turns quite serious, "Bill, you have turned into quite the man. Impressive in every way. I saw you float around the room before the auction. You stood out from the others. You were slightly older but so much more mature and engaging. You talked to everyone, cute, ugly, young, and old. I am surprised some of that sweetness has remained. I like it though. I really like it."

I smiled bashfully, "I can't change what I am. I am still inquisitive about everything. I look at the details and solve problems. I make solutions where others have failed. I knew dad was a bad person, but I didn't want to be the same. I vowed long ago to never be like him."

I finally gather the courage, "What ever happened to Jane? Is she OK as well?"

Donna's look saddened, "After you left, she was devastated. I think she loved you as much as I did. We cried for months after you left. You were our best friend and protector. When she turned 18 she ran off with the first guy she met. They married, had a daughter that you meet, and soon divorced in a nasty mess. He beat her badly. I took her in."

I sat stunned, then relived, "Well, I am glad your both doing ok now." That did not perk up her spirits. I had a bad feeling about this. "We had a nice dinner, a nice carriage ride, a fun time skating, followed by a nice dessert and walk in the park. The food and the company has been spectacular. I can tell you are tired and need sleep. Can I drop you off somewhere?"

She quickly sat up, "Oh no, I am fine. I love taking the train. I go everywhere by train. You are right, I really should get going before the last train leaves."

She quickly pops up and offers me a hand. I get to my feet and hug her good and hard.

I am near tears, "Can I get a phone number or address, can I see you again?"

Donna looks hurt as well, "No, I don't think that would be good. There is much you don't know, and I would rather keep it that way." She hugs me hard. "Take care of yourself Bill and please allow a woman to love you. You need it and you deserve it."

She has tears in her eyes and she runs towards the train station. I see Baxter by the building. We made eye contact and he nodded, she was the one.

Chapter 5 – Going Home

Donna's point of view...

I ran to the train. I could not let Bill see me. I felt like Cinderella, my life as he knew it is a lie. I was still high as a kite on my way home. I am walking home from the train station. I have no car and no money for a taxi. I had to walk but at this time of night, not a smart thing to do. I was careless, I didn't watch my surroundings. Something was nagging at me. I then realize, I think someone is following me.

With this dress I got from Goodwill, I look like money. Out by myself, what was I thinking? I could be in trouble. At least I have almost no money, they can't steal what I don't have. No debit card or credit card. Almost no cash. Sure enough, behind me, I hear footsteps.

I walk faster, the footsteps are getting closer. Now there is a second pair of feet running. Could it be help? I can't run in this dress. This could be bad. I feel a hand on my shoulder, it stops me.

Thug: "Hey baby, how about sharing some of that money with me?"

I am in tears, almost hysterical, "I don't have any on me, just coins left over from the train fare. You can have it."

I don't see the second person, the one I thought was running. Dam, no help.

Now I am crying, "Here look in my purse," I turn it upside down and a few coins fall out, "there, that is all I have. No jewelry, no cash, no wallet, nothing."

Next thing I know I am on the ground. He hit me! My face hurts. Whack! He hit me again. I am seeing stars. I hear another whack but no pain. Now I can see a tall muscular man beating the crap out of the guy that hit me. I remember him from the train, he is cute.

He hits the other man several times until he passes out and offers no resistance. After beating the man to a pulp, he pulls out a white handkerchief and cleans his hands.

He offers me a hand, "Donna please get up and let's get out of here."

He knows my name, this must be Bill's work. I take his hand and get up holding my sore face.

I am curious, "Where did you come from?"

He was candid and breathing hard still, "I was following you per Bill's request. I saw this goon coming after you. I ran in the shadows, so he would not shoot me."

He says confidently, "Which way is home?" I point. "Nobody will bother you with me around. This neighborhood knows me. Your brother hired me to find out more about you and how you are doing. I was going to use the court system, the police, and the internet, but now that you know about me how about we get you home, get you some ice, and then you just tell me your life story. Then I will decide what Bill gets."

What could I do? He may have saved my life. Not much to tell anyways, he will see the horrible place I live in. He will get me home safe, so I guide him home. I trust him more than this neighborhood.

I sniffle, "It's a short story. I have hurt him enough in this life, I prefer Bill not to bother with me, I will only cause him more pain. He has endured more than she should have. He is happy, please let him be."

Baxter ignores my comments.

We get home without incident. Half the lights don't work. The hallway is cold and the lights that work are flickering. We step into the apartment and everything is gray or light tan in color. It's a dreary apartment. It's cold, we can't afford much heat. Everything is clean but worn out. He notices the leaky faucet as he gets a bag of ice for my face. Jane is surprised to see the bruise on my face and that I brought home a ... friend?

Jane and I tell him our story. Like I said, not much to it. After listening, he calls a guy named John and repeats the story including our incident with my assault. The call finishes, he seems happy. He looked at the sink, asks for tools, and proceeds to fix the sink.

Baxter explains, "Sorry, the sink was driving me nuts, I had to fix it. Ok, now to business. What do you want?"

I looked at him shocked, "I don't understand, what do you mean?"

He asks again, "Why the charades? What do you want?"

I catch his meaning now, I grow angry, "Look Baxter. Up until two weeks ago I have no clue where my brother is or how he is doing. I work at a motel as a maid. By pure chance a nice little old lady was still in her room when I stopped by to clean it. She had the full-page newspaper ad out and right in the center is my brother whom I have not seen or talked to in eight years."

Now calming down I explain, "It was my fault that everything bad happened. I don't want to remind him of that. My hope is that he forgets about me and moves on with his life. I don't want anything from him. I want him to be happy. He will only be happy once I am out of his life."

His eyes narrowed but he saw the conviction in my eyes.

Baxter asks me, "Do you think you know your brother?"

I answer, "Yes, I think so. I met quite a man tonight. Smart, kind, and generous."

Baxter smiles, "Then you will understand why I am doing this."

He pulls out his wallet, takes all the cash out, and hands it to me. It's a large wad of cash, more than I make in a month. I won't take it.

I stare at him, "I didn't do this for money, you take that back. I am not some money grabbing bimbo. You need to go now."

He looked at me sadly, he sat the money on the table. Secretly, I was relieved.

He smiles at me, "Women are crazy. The ones that have money, want his so they have more. I meet one that doesn't have any money and she won't take a gift. I will never understand women. You know he is a generous man, if nothing else buy some extra food and Christmas presents for the child."

He walked out. Jane and I sat and cried.

Chapter 6 – Aftermath

Bill's point of view ...

I am sitting in my home theatre watching TV. No idea what's on, not really caring. My sister lied right to my face. She would rather be poor and alone than be with her brother. She must really hate me. I thought we got along well. I thought she was happy to see me. I had a fantastic evening. Now I sit here crushed. What did I do wrong? I silently cried.

I was sad and depressed. At work everyone could tell, something was wrong, yet nobody said anything. They let me be. At home, the house was silent, I stayed in bed and read a lot. John tried to cheer me up, but I wasn't in the mood, I read a book even in the car. I was in a funk like never before.

A week before Christmas Lynn calls me, "So tell me baby, how was the date?" She sounded happy and alive.

Weakly, I answered, "It was a disaster. It was all lies." I started to cry a little.

She was genuinely shocked, "But, I figured you two would be happy together. She seemed nice enough."

I replied emotionlessly, "The date was great, she is great. However, she won't see me again."

Lynn is still shocked, "What?"

I repeat, "She was a fraud, she doesn't have any money, she can't take care of herself, and she won't have anything to do with me."

Lynn is unsure of this conversation, "So it does matter if she has money?"

Frustrated I try to explain, "I don't give a dam about the money. She won't take my help even though she obviously needs it, and she won't see me. I don't understand what I did wrong."

Lynn understands, "Sounds like a proud stubborn woman or a woman suffering from years of guilt. Maybe a lot of both. Send her a Christmas present anyways. Hey, I am busy here, I was just checking up on you, I was worried when I didn't hear anything. I am an old woman, I could not wait anymore so I called. Have a Merry Christmas Bill, Goodbye."

I can do that, I can give her some presents. She won't have to see me. I went to the desk in my bedroom. Odd, I rarely use this desk. I turn on my computer, wait for it to bootup, logon, and then start an email to John listing the items I want him to purchase. I took four hours to think of things that two grown women and a child would want. Useful, practical things without being gaudy. I instruct him to buy them during the week as time permits. The house staff will wrap the presents for me. On Christmas Eve, I will have John deliver the presents for me.

That was fair, would help them out, and they would not have to see me. Everyone would be happy. Well, everyone but me. I could live with that. I went to bed early. The rest of the week the staff was surly with me. It seems they did not approve of my actions. The whole house seemed cold, I stayed in my room. I sent John a list of presents for the staff. That seemed to make him happy. I was not going to stop the tradition of giving staff presents and a bonus.

Chapter 7 – Christmas Eve

I woke up Christmas Eve. I had slept in, not a great deal to look forward to. About 3:00 PM I sent John to deliver the presents. I wanted him back in time for dinner. He asks to take Tony with him since the neighborhood isn't great. Unusual for John to ask for assistance but it seems reasonable. The staff is in a fantastic mood and their all busy doing stuff.

I go to the home theatre and watch "It's a Wonderful Life." I don't love the movie, I am more of a Muppet Christmas Carole guy but it's tradition, so I watch it. Besides, I can't stand to be around the staff right now, they're too dam happy. I try to analyze why, but I see no reason other than Christmas. Yes, that must be it.

John's point of view ...

Anthony is suspicious, "Ok John, what are you up to?"

I reply dryly, "Me, I am not up to anything."

Anthony smiles, "The whole staff is happy for the first time in a few weeks and you ask for my help yet leave most of all the presents at home. Are you going to make me hurt you? I remember how."

I laugh, "No Anthony, I don't think we will need that. If things go well, we will have three passengers in the back seats going home. If things go poorly, we will have three hostages in the back seats. I just want you to stand behind me, look mean, and let me do the talking."