Christmas Exchange

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"At least for him anyway," she thought to herself morosely. She highly doubted her feelings for Nate would ever go away.

When she arrived at her desk, her boss stepped out of his office to greet her.

"Hi, Kelly, welcome back. I hope you're feeling better."

"Thanks, Mr. Ross. I'm fine."

"Good. You picked a good day to return it being Christmas Eve and all most folks took the day off so it should be quiet."

Kelly shook her head realizing that she hadn't even noticed what day it was when she got up.

"Oh...By the way, you missed the Christmas gift exchange while you were out. It turns out Nate Foster drew your name, and he left this for you."

Kelly looked on in surprise as Jack Ross put a small, ornately wrapped gift box in her hand.

"Thanks," she said to her bosses retreating back.

She sat at her desk turning the box in her hands afraid to open it, but unable to just let it lie either. Finally, she slid a nail along one edge peeling off the wrapping and setting it aside. The lid lifted off easily in her tiny hand, and she dropped it down onto her desk. Inside the box, nestled in some cotton was her butterfly necklace with a piece of paper folded beneath it. The chain felt heavier than usual as she lifted it from the box watching the gems reflect the light.

The paper was covered in Nate's tight handwriting, and she started to read it slowly after unfolding the note.

"Kelly - I went back and found your necklace in the snow bank where you fell. I know you said you hated it but I suspect that you will want it back just the same. You said that you kept it originally because it reminded you of the life you wanted to leave behind. Thing is I believe it should also remind you of the opportunity you have to build something new and special for yourself. We all know that butterflies emerge from cocoons completely changed from what they were before and that's you. A scared young woman who did what she had to at the lowest point in her life then made herself into something better and more wonderful. If people can't see the dignity in that, then they don't deserve you. You were right that I've spent years working to see my name on an office door, and all I cared about was pushing my way up the ladder to make that happen. I want you to know that changed when you came into my life. Everything that I've sacrificed pales in comparison to what you went through, and I can't tell you how proud it makes me to call you my girl. I love you, Kelly, and all the corporate success in the world would be meaningless if it costs me a chance to be with you."

Kelly squeezed the note in her fist as tears rolled down her face.

The sound of Christmas music reverberated off the walls of the Foster house as the family gathered for their traditional party. Nate stood with his sister, Gina, by a punch bowl that Nate strongly suspected his Uncle Charlie had spiked with some truly nasty off-brand rum.

"Merry Christmas, Nate!" said Gina holding out her cup for him to toast with her.

"Yeah...Merry Christmas, G," he replied in a dead voice.

"Could you maybe fake a little holiday cheer you're bumming me out."

"Sorry, G, I'm just not feeling very festive this year."

"I get it, little brother. Chin Up! Christmas isn't over yet maybe Santa will bring you another miniature girl in your stocking."

"Kelly wasn't that small."

"I was afraid I would step on her every time she was in the room."

Before Nate could retort at his sister for her joke the doorbell sounded. Brad was the closest, and he walked over to answer it.

"Hello? Anyone here?" he said looking out on the porch after he opened the door.

"Down here!" said Kelly looking up at Brad's chest.

"Oh! There you are! You know you need taller shoes or something."

"Is Nate here?" asked Kelly ignoring Brad's attempt at levity.

"NATE! There's some elf looking for you!" shouted Brad backing away from the door with a grin.

The room was filled with relatives chatting away, but it grew considerably quieter when Kelly walked through the door. Nate crossed the room trying to appear nonchalant, but the look on his face said otherwise.

"Hey," he said when he reached her not trusting himself at the moment to say more.

"Hey...Um...Can we talk in private?" asked Kelly looking around at a sea of faces that all seem to be staring at her.

"Sure. This way."

Nate led her into the kitchen the swinging door shutting behind them.

"I see you got my gift."

Kelly reached up to touch the gold butterfly hanging around her throat.

"Yes. Thank you for finding it for me."

"It wasn't too hard it more or less stood out in the snow. I'm just happy no one else got there before me."

Kelly cleared her throat about to say more when she noticed Brad's head poking around the door. Before she could say anything, a hand appeared grabbing Brad by one ear and dragging him backward.

"Bradley Lewis Foster! You get your happy ass back in the living room!" came Cathy's voice. A second later her head briefly appeared in the doorway.

"You kids take all the time you need. I'll keep the riff-raff out. Oh! and Kelly it's so good to see you again."

"Thanks, Mrs. Foster. You too."

The door swung shut again muting the party noises beyond.

"I think you were about to say something," observed Nate.

"I...was...I read your note and...and..." Kelly was trying hard not to cry, but it wasn't working as tears welled up in the corners of her eyes.

"It's o.k. Kelly."

She was in his arms sobbing a second later her tears dampening his cotton shirt.

"I love you, Nate...I love you so much..." she whispered between breaths.

"I love you too, Kelly. I meant what I said in that note I don't want to be without you."

"I don't want to be without you either, but..."

"Whatever happens in the future as long as we are together I know it will work out so no 'buts.'"

Kelly looked up at Nate with red-rimmed eyes and even with her skin flushed from crying she was still the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. They kissed each other softly feeling a sense of peace slip over them as they joined together.

Brad chose that moment to burst back in again, "Hey! Oh! Sorry guys, I thought you would be passed the kissing part by now. You need to see this. Uncle Charlie is wasted and threatening to join the Polar Bear Club by leaping naked into the duck pond. Mom is trying to talk him down!"

Kelly laughed, and Nate looked up at the sky shaking his head.

"You sure you want to join this cast of characters?"

"Nate Foster, there is no place I would rather be."

They left the kitchen hand in hand to the sound of hysterical laughter from the living room."