Christmas Ripples

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They headed to the only manned bar and ordered drinks. The barman looked apologetically as they served them, commenting it was normal, but if they were to return next week, on the run up to Christmas, it would be packed.

"Well, one bonus is, we'll get a decent table and not need to dance around our handbags!"

Paula laughed as they headed for a prime spot.

They sat at one of the many vacant tables, but Lindsay remained standing, already swaying to the beat.

"Come on, clocks ticking, music's banging!"

The four smiled and joined her, staying near their drinks. Soon the rhythmic swaying turned to dancing and the groups on the edges of the bar showed interest, as three of the friends began checking out potential suitors to win them the coffee bet.

Both women noticed their colluding, shaking their heads as Steph gave her opinion.

"I think we've won this bet... With 60s and 80s fashion queens with us, they're our own built in drunk repellent!"

Paula grinned back. "Ha ha, we've got this in the bag, look..."

She nodded at a large group entering that comprised mainly middle-aged people that were obviously fresh from their office party or Christmas dinner. Whilst there were a few younger men, they looked very nervous with their work colleagues present.

They all continued dancing and drinking as more office partygoers arrived. Paula chuckled as yet another group, containing both generation X'ers and millennials, joined the dance floor.

"Dad dancing at its best!" She laughed with the others, rolling their eyes in agreement.

After a while, Paula noticed their three friends' eyes looking behind them, guessing she leaned into Steph.

"I think we have some sharks circling behind us!"

"Yeah, I can see them distorted in the chrome pillar and the one mirror; they're still scared minnows at the moment."

Not long later, they caught Katy waving someone in closer. Steph spoke up, "No encouragement. That's cheating!"

"All's fair in love and coffee." She replied.

Lindsay laughed. "I think Steph's dress is scaring them off!"

Paula knew what was coming next. "Oh, no, they're going to come for me!"

She danced around, using the group as a defensive wall. They separated, trying to make her an easier target, but she saw the youngster pushed forward by his older mates spirit himself away into the crowd, and they all dissipated.

Paula flushed with frustration. As years of being second choice boiled, she didn't want to let fly at her friends as she knew they meant well, but it didn't change how she felt. Steph noticed and calmly danced her way.

"Hey, you okay? Shall we get a drink and pop to the ladies?"

Steph invoked their old call for a 'time-out'. Paula nodded, and they asked Katy if she also wanted another. They grabbed their clutch bags and headed to the toilets, dodging through the now busier tables. Once inside the bathroom, they headed to a quiet corner.

"You okay, lovely?"

"Oh, I don't know... I felt like a second choice yet again. I thought I was over it, but it's been so nice these last few weeks, with only the two of us..."

"Hey, I've had a great time, too. But kissing one spotty git under the mistletoe doesn't tie you into a marriage!"

Paula leaned against the counter with the basins, frustrated.

"Oh, I don't know why I'm so sensitive about it now. Normally I'd like to think I'm thick skinned, and glad of the attention, but now..."

She shrugged. There was more, but she didn't want to say. After all the drink they had, she wasn't too sure herself.

The woman close by finished washing her hands and moved over to her friends on the other side of the basins, helping the pair feel freer to talk as Steph held Paula's hands.

"It's okay. We don't have to get off with anyone... Unless you can find yourself a handsome playboy. There's no pressure, they're just joking. If Lindsay knew, she wouldn't have said anything, nor Katy."

"I know... For some reason, it really got to me!"

Steph wrapped her arms around her, squeezing her tightly. Paula rest her head on her shoulder, welcoming the close contact with her dearest friend. Not for the first time, she enjoyed lingering in her warmth and basked in her fragrance as she tried to resist the temptation to nuzzle into her neck.

She couldn't help but wonder if it was the alcohol or Steph's kindness that helped neither of them feel conspicuous about the extended length of their hug, especially as it quashed her anxiety.

It was only after another voice jokingly called out, "Get a room girls!" that they broke their hug, but rather than avoiding it, they both locked eyes together in a brief understanding that tonight was only about them.

"Whilst we're here, I'll make the most of the facilities," Steph joked and headed to the empty cubicle opposite.

Paula headed to another. A few minutes later, they both emerged and as they washed their hands, Steph confirmed, "it's nearly the witching hour so they'll be getting off. Do you want to move on or happy to stay here?"

"Is it worth seeing what 'The Black Cat' is like? Not been there in years."

"Why not? Come on, let's get another drink."

The pair headed out to find the bar had become busier as they had to wait, both now feeling a little exposed, surrounded by ogling older men who were teasing some of their younger work colleagues about them. A gap opened up and Steph slipped through.

Paula soon squeezed in to join her and they huddled together, making it clear they weren't open to invitations. As in the toilet, she enjoyed being pressed up close to her friend, wanting to hold her even closer, feeling every curve and knowing her body was only two thin layers of dress away from hers.

Their drinks arrived far too soon for Paula, and they returned to give Katy hers, who warned them she'd had enough and had called her husband to collect her. Lindsay and Mandy confirmed that they'd join her.

After a quick discussion with Steph, Paula said they'd leave at the same time with them, rather than remain, and go to the 'The Black Cat'. With the impending end to the evening, the five of them suddenly found lots to talk about.

Before they knew it, having hardly covered half of what they wanted to share, Katy confirmed Kevin had already parked outside. The friends all headed to the cloakroom to retrieve their coats, making sure they were all wrapped up before exiting.

Once again the chill bit into them, but the wind had died down, and it was dry as the sky had cleared, with stars shining down. A car opposite flashed its lights and Katy waved. They all hugged and kissed their goodbyes and she jumped joined her husband. He gave a polite wave and drove off into the night.

The four remaining friends made their way back, but at the next junction, they had another round of hugging and the two pairs split apart. Steph and Paula headed off down the side street, keeping under the streetlights. Now walking arm in arm, both leaned into each other.

"Glad to be out P?"

"Yeah, I don't know why. I just flipped. But thanks, I didn't want to stay any longer."

"You okay continuing, or we can go home?"

"No, Steph, we planned a night out and we're going to have one. Let's see what it's like before deciding. If it's also full of office parties, we'll call Alison."

Steph hugged Paula's arm, and they turned into a street to see the club further down. Once again, the security outside were happy to welcome them in, although it was much busier than where they'd left. The sounds weren't too modern, with a mix of nineties music pounding out from a DJ in a corner with lights and a lot more people dancing. The pair headed to the busy bar.

"This has a far better vibe, hasn't it?"

Paula almost had to shout.

Steph replied with a grin, nodding. They waited at the bar, now feeling the warmth of the closer knit crowd of bodies, forcing them to remove their coats.

When their turn came, the barman smiled, saying. "Give your coats over to Jacky."

He pointed to a corner of the room behind them.

"They'll be safe. Just don't lose your tickets."

"I'll take them, Steph, you get them in."

Paula relieved Steph of her coat and made her way through the crowd until she found several tables pushed together, protecting some wheeled racks, similar to the ones she spends her days tidying the sales stock on, but these carried a myriad of stylish coats and jackets.

Hovering next to them was a tall, thin, topless, mustachioed man, wearing a cowboy hat, tight red leather trousers but nothing else, except for some black leather belts crossed like a bra over his tanned washboard chest. As soon as he saw her, he came over.

"Hi, I'm Jacky. Not seen you here before."

"Ah, er, hi... I've not been here in ages."

"That doesn't matter. Hopefully you'll have a good time, anyway. Don't worry, I'll look after them."

He took their coats and produced hangers from a tray. He pulled raffle tickets from a book, stabbing a half of each on the hangers and handing Paula the other halves. Whilst he hung the coats onto the rails, she glanced at the surrounding crowd. Apart from a few, most of them were flamboyantly dressed, especially the men. There were an inordinate number of same-sex couples.

As Jacky returned, she had to ask, "Is it some kind of theme night tonight?"

Jackie's eyes ballooned, and he cackled with a theatrical laugh. "No, lovely, it's LGBTQ plus night love. So don't feel inhibited. Join in. All us girls want to do is have fun!"

Paula mouthed 'O' as the obvious coin dropped. She smiled, thanking him, and turned to weave her way back to find Steph talking to a tall, dark-haired man in a tight white T-shirt and classic turn up Levi jeans with light, brown shoes, with stubble. In any other bar, he wouldn't stand out, but compared to the other clientele, he was underdressed.

"Steph, I've got our coat tickets."

"Paula, this is Nick. He's offered to buy us drinks, but I refused, as it's not fair, as we've only just turned up."

Nick held his hand out to shake. Paula looked at Steph but she didn't show any signs of distress, so she took it and he gave her a firm handshake.

"Well, I actually offered Stephanie one, but she said you came as a pair and she possibly couldn't accept."

Steph giggled, but not the girlish giggle she would normally give when reacting to a handsome male chatting her up, informing Paula that she meant to keep her promise from earlier that evening.

"But now I've met you, I'd like to offer you both a drink as we could have twice as much fun!"

Steph's eyes bulged, and Paula laughed. One side of her cringed at the corny chat up line but with the information Jacky had divulged she looked deeper and saw his skin tone and eyelashes. Whilst there was still a probability that they'd happened upon the only straight male there, the makeup and attention to detail said otherwise.

"Nicky, you flatter us both, but I don't think we're up for a threesome tonight."

"Ah, you saying tonight suggests you'd be open to it another time?"

Paula laughed, and she leaned in closer.

"Nick, I appreciate the chat up and offer. It's very sweet of you and you're amazingly convincing, but..."

Nick laughed back, smiling as she raise his glass to her.

"Thanks. But what gave it away?"

He looked between Paula and Steph, wondering how he'd slipped up.

"Ha ha, no, I put two and two together and saw a little makeup here and there. But please don't be offended, it's really sweet of you."

"Is it my eyes? I knew it."

"Well, they're pretty good, but mainly your stubble, your dark brown and it's too black. But honestly, if it wasn't for the extra lighting here by the bar, I'd never have noticed. Plus, Jacky told me about tonight. I can't see many straight men hanging around here on their own."

Steph glanced between them, totally non-plussed.

"What?"

"Take it as a compliment that Steph obviously didn't notice, as she's a beautician."

Nick brightened up, grinning from ear to ear, "Aw, come on girls, I have to buy you drinks now."

The barman placed two shots in front of Steph and she swiped her credit card as Nick caught the barman's eyes, calling out for three cocktails.

"Er, am I missing something? Do you two know each other?"

Paula shook her head, as she couldn't resist glancing down at Nick's jeans and the obvious bulge. "Pair of socks?"

Nick feigned a hurt look, leaned into Paula to whisper, "No, it's a nice lifelike silicone strapon."

He gave her a cheeky grin.

"A boy has to be ready for anything. Care to try?"

The two broke apart as Paula squealed with surprise and Nick laughed at her reaction, whilst Steph looked even more confused.

"Now this is just being rude. What am I missing?"

She almost shouted and stamped her foot in frustration, with the other two looking at her wide eyed. Paula enjoyed seeing her look cuter than ever in one of her typical blond moments.

"Shall I tell her, or do you want the honour?"

Paula asked, inviting Nick to explain.

"I'm a trans man." He announced.

Steph still looked confused, glancing at her for support but then blurted out, "but you look nothing like a woman?"

"No, you're thinking of a trans woman. Simplistically, a trans man was born female but wants to have a male gender identity."

Steph's eyes bulged wide, grabbed her drink from the bar and threw it down her neck, coughing slightly.

"You're a woman?"

Nick nodded, "At birth."

"With a dick?"

"No, well, not yet."

She looked at Nick to explain who chuckled.

"Some have surgery, some don't. I'm not ready to, if at all. But I enjoy living my life identifying as a man, whilst I love women."

Steph tried not to stare at his chest through his thin shirt, hunting for some hint of breasts.

Nick noticed but didn't take offence.

"Nope, nothing there. Surgically removed a few years ago. I never felt feminine or comfortable in my old body, being tall. I was always treated as male, so now I choose to live as one."

Paula reached her hand up near his face. "Do you mind?"

Nick nodded in acceptance, and she stroked his chin and cheek to feel the hairy stubble.

"Bloody hell, it's real, not stuck on?"

"Of course it is. But it's so feint, I colour it. Just that tonight, maybe I've used too much. You'll have to show me where I got my eyes wrong."

Steph raised her hand up to Nick's face, pausing until he nodded and squealed as she felt the sharpness of the stubble.

"Some women love it," he announced proudly.

Paula and Steph glanced at each other, both shaking their heads, "We don't, sorry."

He leaned in closer between them, grinning, "Not up here, but scratching down between their thighs whilst my tongue is deep inside them!"

He flicked his tongue out to demonstrate and raised his eyebrows, winking.

The two friends pulled back, eyes wide open, shocked, then burst out laughing, "No, still not us!"

Three cocktails arrived at the bar and Nick held his phone over the card reader before handing them one each. "Here we go, ladies." Then collected his and motioned for them to follow him. "Come on, let's get closer to the dance floor."

Paula collected her's and followed the other two through the crowd. Nick directed them to a little nook where they could place their bags and drinks on a shelf. Paula sipped her drink as Steph surveyed the multiple dancers before them, with many of them being the same gender.

She turned to Paula, asking. "Do you think this is a gay bar?"

Paula laughed, loving how despite her experience, Steph was still quite innocent and shook her head in despair.

"It's their LGBTQ plus night. Jacky told me when I left our coats with him."

She laughed, glancing at Nick, who looked as surprised, as Steph looked cuter than ever as the archetypical blonde.

"Him?"

Her face screwed up questioningly.

"Uh-huh."

Paula nodded.

Nick waved his forefinger between them.

"So, you're not... A couple?"

"No, straight." Paula admitted, looking at Steph, who confirmed, "Yeah, we're straight."

Nick couldn't hide his disappointment, but smiled acceptingly.

"That's a shame."

Paula glanced around the dance floor and nodded.

"So, which ones would be your type?"

He grinned and leaned between the two, winking, "Including you two... All of them!"

This surprised them, with Steph asking, "So, you're only interested in lesbians?"

Nick chuckled, holding his arms out, frustrated as he thought it was blindingly obvious.

"Ahem, yes... Oh, some are trans women. I could introduce you to some, if you like?"

The friends laughed, "No, thanks!"

Paula looked at him, wanting to ask, but he read her thoughts and explained.

"I actually enjoy them, so long as I'm on top, as they can be more femme than some CIS women."

Seeing yet another questioning look on Steph's face, he confirmed, "Straight women."

As the music changed from more modern rap style back to eighties, the two found it easier to be more flamboyant with their dancing to match the surrounding crowd. Nick remained quite static in comparison, trying to keep up a cool, male facade, whilst still chatting with the friends.

Seeing him glancing repeatedly at one group of excited women, Paula felt a pang of guilt.

"You sure we're not cramping your style? If you feel the need to chat someone up, go ahead. We'll catch up with you when we buy the next round."

Nick laughed.

"Thanks, that's kind. I'm actually trying to rescue the situation by dancing with two very attractive females who are enjoying my company to act as a lure. I'll have to choose my time before making a move!"

"We're bait?"

"Not exactly. Apart from your pleasant company, it's sort of introduction by association. You like my company, hence they will too."

"Does that work?"

"More often than you'd think. But there is no need for you to buy me a drink. I brought it in good faith but, you win some, you lose some."

Paula had a pang of guilt and gave him a brief hug.

"No, you've not lost at all. You're welcome to chat us up anytime."

Nick smiled as they separated.

"It's a shame, but anytime you want to sample the goods, just ask, as I'd love to play with those puppies."

He glanced at Paula's 'C' cups, trying to burst out of her dress, causing her to giggle shyly.

"Now, now Nick. You've been a perfect gent until now, but surely Steph is more your type?"

He leaned in, nervous that she would hear,

"No, whilst I wouldn't kick her out of bed, you're a more comfortable, cuddly, safe attraction, being less maintenance and easier to get along with."

Paula gave him a surprised, hurt face.

"So I'm easy?"

Nick shook his head and touched her arm, to underline what he said into her ear, "Not at all. I'm a little tired of the tears and drama that comes with a lot of girlfriends. You're far more long-term material, someone who will only scream in bed, not at every broken nail!"

Paula coughed out a surprised laugh.

"I'm not sure if that's a compliment. But I wish my previous boyfriends thought the same way."

He released her, smiling, "Yes, I meant as a compliment. I'd love to show you the finer side of being with me. Give me the chance to look after you and treat you as the gorgeous lady you deserve. I would even shave to get between your thighs!"

Nick stroked his hands over her cheeks, grinning as Paula blushed furiously, glancing at a questioning Steph, then back to a serious Nick.

"Are you making a move on me, slick?"

He nodded, giving a cheeky grin. "A man's got to try. I'd hate to leave the best fruit here on the tree, then go gallivanting off to pastures new, when I could have all I want here."

Paula's blush deepened.

"Well, out of all the chat up lines I've ever heard, yours beat them all and I promise, if I do feel the need, I will come and find you!"