City Girl in the Desert

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I thought you said there wasn't anyone else besides Danny and the hippie couple that you knew from before," I said after the third such round of introductions.

"There aren't," Katie said. "It's just the way we greet each other here."

"No one's greeted me that way yet," I said.

"I know how you are about that kind of thing," Katie said. "So I had Danny warn everyone not to try to hug you unless you said it was okay."

"Excuse me?!"

"Well, Christine, you hate it when people you don't know get too close."

"Yes, but I'm perfectly capable of telling them not to touch me!"

"I just wanted to make it less awkward for everyone. How do you think it feels when you try to give someone a hug and they push you away?"

"I don't care about that. I can handle my own boundaries, Katie. Okay?"

"All right, all right. Sorry. Enjoy your lunch."

I did enjoy it, although I had to deal with my fair share of dumb questions about New York. Not to mention a chubby gal named Sarah who proudly proclaimed she was from Brooklyn. "I've been there a time or two," I said, leaving out that I'd hated every pretentious, boring moment of the place.

"My boyfriend was always after me to move to the Village, but I didn't want to live in a shoebox!" she squealed. "Call me crazy, huh?"

"I wouldn't ever live below Twenty-Third Street myself," I said. "Even back in high school, they called me 'Uptown Sophisticate', you know."

"You live in Harlem, do you?" Sarah asked, apparently not joking.

"Not that far uptown!" And I turned back to my couscous.

Katie gave her girlish, over-the-top greeting to each and every new arrival. One of these was a rather awkward looking fellow who I could tell did not want a hug from someone he didn't even know. He got it anyway, though, and at least managed to look pleased at it. "Well, that's a nice introduction!" he stammered. "I'm Tim, and I just got here last week."

"I'm Katie and I just got back today, but I was here a few summers ago," she said. "You're going to love it!"

"Thanks," Tim said. "Yeah, I think I will. I mean, I do, so far, just that it hasn't been long, you know? And the fourteenth..."

"That's all voluntary, you know!" Katie said. "Don't worry about it. But if you do join in, you'll be amazed at how quickly you get comfortable with it!"

"Thanks," Tim said. "I hope you're right!" He sounded Midwestern, so the "I" sounded more like "Ah". Just what I needed, an awkward bumpkin horning in on Katie's attention. Fortunately he was off to get a plate and fill it, and since we were nearly done, he didn't join us.

"The fourteenth?" I asked as soon as he was gone. "What does that mean?"

"I'll tell you everything when we get to the pool," Katie said. "You up for a swim?"

I grinned. "You never did tell me what you're wearing to the pool these days. I can't wait to see it!"

"Hold that thought!" Katie said, standing up. "Shall we go get changed now?"

She looked happy but awfully nervous as we went back upstairs. I knew by now there was no point in asking why. For all that I had asked about before, I couldn't help hoping she wasn't going to wear a bikini to the pool. She'd lost a lot of weight but she still didn't have the right shape to pull it off, especially not with me next to her in my lemon-yellow one that flattered my hips and bust just about perfectly. In fact, I feared she'd look utterly frumpy next to me no matter what she wore. But she'd brought that on herself inviting me here!

As soon as we were back in our room with the door shut, I was half-relieved and half-repulsed when Katie unceremoniously took her top off. "Oof!" I averted my eyes just a touch too late, and got an eyeful of Katie's belly and her heavy breasts, still cupped in a dowdy-looking bra. "Katie, we're close, but I'm going to change in the bathroom!"

"As you wish," she said. And I heard what sounded like her unfastening her bra and pulling it off, but I saw nothing as I carefully averted my eyes while digging my bikini out of my suitcase and carrying it into the bathroom.

Like I said, sometimes I really do envy Katie's breasts. Sometimes. Seeing what they look like even partially uncovered like that has always been enough to disabuse me of all that. I made a point of taking my time changing into my swimsuit, not wanting to catch another look at my poor saggy friend.

Of course, since I was naked and in no hurry to get dressed, I was sorely tempted to fall off the wagon. But I settled for an admiring look at my slim, toned body and reminded myself not to show Katie up any more than I really couldn't help doing.

When I finally had everything in place and no excuse to dawdle any longer, I turned the bathroom doorknob but didn't open it right away. I figured that would give Katie enough time to warn me not to come out. Even if she didn't mind me seeing her boobs, now she knew I did mind.

Hearing no complaint, I opened the door and blossomed forth in my bikini -- and just as promptly leapt back into the bathroom. "Katie!" I gasped. I closed my eyes, but the image I'd glimpsed was seared into my mind's eye -- Katie sitting on her bed, rubbing sunblock all over her body, which was stark naked.

"Haven't you ever heard of sunblock, Christine?" The fool sounded utterly calm and collected as she said it.

"Haven't you ever heard of putting your swimsuit on first?"

"Christine, come out. Please."

"I will, as soon as you get your swimsuit on."

"No, Christine. Come out. Now."

I couldn't very well just hide out in the bathroom until she came to her senses. I stepped out into the room and forced myself not to flinch at Katie, who was standing hands-on-hips with a conciliatory look on her face. I did my best to look only at her face, but there was no ignoring her boobs -- they didn't sag nearly as much as I'd suspected, but my back hurt just imagining mine were that big -- and her wide hips, and the utterly ungroomed triangle between them.

"It's okay, Christine," she said. "I don't mind!"

"I do, Katie! Boundaries!"

"No boundaries here, Christine. It's clothing optional."

"What?!"

"The pool. It's clothing optional. No one will fault you for wearing a swimsuit, but you don't have to, okay?"

"Okay?! Katie, for heaven's sake, how could you do this to me?"

"Do what to you?" the poor fool asked. "I told you, you can wear your swimsuit."

Of course, that wasn't what I meant at all. It would be one thing for someone like me to go bare at the pool, but Katie? With that shape and that bush? I felt humiliated for the poor thing before we'd even left our room. But I just couldn't tell her that. If my dearest old friend just had to make an ass of herself, what could I do about it. "Oh, all right," I said, seeing no other option.

"Thank you for understanding," Katie said. Then she handed me the sunblock bottle. "Do my back and my butt, please?"

"I'll do your back. You can reach your own ass, I'm sure."

"Deal."

As I was rubbing the lotion on her back, I remembered what that Tim guy had said at lunch. "Now, does this have anything to do with the fourteenth?"

"Yes," Katie said. "July fourteenth is Nude Day back home. It's a tradition here, too."

"You mean to tell me the last time you were here..." I just couldn't finish that sentence, and finished rubbing Katie's back in silence.

She turned around and nodded with a smile. "It is so liberating! I hope you'll try it, too. Here, I'll do your back."

I turned around and held my hair out of the way. "I'll take your word for it, Katie," I said. "But I hope you'll understand if I find some excuse not to be anywhere near the pool on the fourteenth."

"You don't know what you'll be missing, Christine. You really don't."

She did at least put on a robe for the walk down to the pool. On the way down we crossed paths with two good looking guys who were also wearing robes. They exchanged knowing chuckles with Katie and continued on their way without a word. Gay, obviously, since they took no notice of me. At least I'd have something to look at for free.

Now, Katie is my oldest and dearest friend. So as we stepped into the pool area, I vowed to take her side if there were any nasty comments about her appearance. To my surprise, though, there weren't. I did see a few familiar faces including Sarah, the silly fool who thought I lived in Harlem. Fortunately, she was busy splashing around in the pool and didn't take notice of me, nor did I have to look at her body. The two guys we'd seen on the way down were just as gorgeous underneath as I'd hoped, and I drank in the lovely sight from the deck chair I claimed. One of them noticed me after a moment and waved, and then they both quickly jumped in the pool.

"Maybe I'll have a dip," I said, doing my best to sound casual as Katie took her robe off and bared her body to the afternoon sun.

"Go on ahead," Katie said, and I turned to see she was settled in her chair, looking a lot more comfortable than a woman like her had any business feeling in public without anything on. "I'll be in later."

I was set to argue the point a little bit, at least, but then Maggie and Eddie turned up, also naked and also just as unfit for it as Katie was. "Haven't you missed this, Katie?" Maggie asked.

"More than you can imagine!" Katie said. "I was just telling Christine here about Nude Day and how beautiful it was."

"It really is," said Eddie, who at least had the decency to be hard for me. "No pressure, of course, but we hope you will join us!"

"I certainly see you hope that," I said.

"Christine!" Katie snapped. "That's rude, all right?"

"Oh, it's all right," Eddie said, looking down. "Sorry. We really are supposed to cover up when that happens."

"Don't feel the need to do that on my account," I said.

"Didn't you want to go in the pool anyway?" Katie asked.

"Indeed." I stood up and nodded at Maggie and Eddie without another word, and jumped into the warm water.

Chlorine is murder on my hair, of course, but for once it was completely worth it, as I found myself near the two gentlemen I'd been admiring. "Hi, boys!" I said. "I'm Christine. I'm sorry my friend didn't introduce us upstairs."

"Is that Katie up there?" asked one of them. "I've heard so much about her."

"I've known her since the fourth grade," I said. "Ever so glad she brought me here!" A lie, but clearly what they wanted to hear.

"I've been here about a year," said the other man. "Danny and some of the others, they talk about her all the time, such a ray of sunshine. Any chance you can get her in the pool?"

"She said she'd be coming in later," I said. "So you're an old-timer, huh?"

"Yes," he said. "Name's Doug, and I work in oil and gas. Used to live in Abu Dhabi, but they're not a big fan of guys like us, you know."

"And I'm a teacher at the American school," said the other man. "Pete." He shook my hand underwater, which at least gave me an excuse to look down. Pete and Doug were both nicely clipped and groomed. Katie could learn a thing or two from them, I couldn't help thinking. "When Doug and I started dating, we both knew, we'd best find someplace where the locals didn't have eyes."

"God, I can only imagine."

"I take it it's your first time at the pool?" Doug asked.

"Does it show?"

"It's what you're not showing," Doug said, and Pete laughed. I forced myself to join in. "No pressure, of course, but once you've given it a try you'll never want to wear a swimsuit again."

"That's what Katie was just telling me," I said. "But I just don't know..."

"Took me a while, too," Pete said.

"Dear, it took you a lot longer than a while!" Doug said.

Pete laughed. "Eh, you're right. Christine, don't make the same mistake I made, okay?"

"If you say so," I said, though I still had no intention of going naked for anyone, especially not a couple of fruits. I still couldn't complain about the view, though.

"Hey!" came another male voice behind me. "Christine, isn't it?"

"This is she all right," said Doug. He took Pete's hand. "See you later, okay?"

"Sure, guys." I turned to see who'd called my name. It was Tim. "Hi, Tim," I said as cordially as I could muster, while looking down in hope that he was wearing trunks. To my great relief, he was.

"Can you believe this?" he asked. "I've been hearing about this every day, but I never came until today."

How adorable. The shy little thing just had to get a glimpse of me. "I hope you're not disappointed," I said, and wondered if I ought to tell him upfront that he would never be seeing me in any less than what I was wearing right then.

"Disappointed?! This is beautiful! I mean, I wasn't quite brave enough to go nude yet, and I see you're not either -- believe me, I understand -- but it's all so welcoming and safe, you know?"

Welcoming and safe? The poor guy sounded even younger than he looked. But I couldn't help finding his sincerity endearing, and he did have a nice toned chest, and unlike Katie he had the decency not to let everything slop out. Maybe someone this plain and uncomplicated was just what I needed to get through this crazy experience. No one back in New York had to know I'd messed around with someone so far beneath me. I put on my flirtatious grin and answered soft and low, "Welcoming and safe. Yes, Tim, that's a beautiful way to put it. And you're right, I'm just not quite brave enough yet, but we'll get there, won't we?"

"Maybe tomorrow," he said. "I just had to have a look around first, and see if it really was okay, you know? But I guess it is."

"Well, don't do anything until you're comfortable," I said, thinking maybe I'd better put the brakes on; I did not want him thinking he was going to see me without my bikini anytime soon. Now, though, I was thinking maybe I would give him that honor at some point -- just not in the pool and among all these other people!

"Right now I'm wondering just what the secret to that is," Tim said. "I guess you haven't figured it out either, huh?"

Just as I was about to offer to take his trunks off for him if that would help, there was a splash behind me and I turned to see Katie bursting out of the water. "Tim!" she said. "You made it!"

"Well, I came to the pool anyway," he said. "I was just telling Christine here, I'm still not sure about going nude. But...wow, I admire you!" Then he burst out laughing like the boy I suspected he probably was underneath. "I mean, not like that, although I do admire you like that too, but I mean..."

Katie laughed. "Tim, it's okay! I was new to this once, too, and I know just what you mean."

"Thanks." Tim let out a nervous laugh. "Sorry if it looks like I'm gawking at you or anything..."

"It's okay if you are, Tim!" Katie hugged him, and I had to watch the poor kid deal with the shock of that before he remembered his manners and hugged her back. "You don't think anyone here isn't checking everyone else out, do you?"

"Good point," he said. "I do feel kind of overdressed, though."

"Not if it's what you're comfortable with, okay?"

"Katie, thanks. You really know how to set a guy at ease."

At that, I had to excuse myself. I may have been falling for Tim, but I couldn't stand anyone sounding that smarmy! Especially not with Katie, who I knew would respond with more of the same. For some reason neither of them noticed as I waded away, anyhow.

My corner of the pool was otherwise empty for some reason, so I leaned against the edge to relax, enjoying the sensation and the look of the water lapping at my breasts. I had some concerns that my interest in Tim might make them hard, but at least it would be easy to avoid too much attention with so many naked people out and about.

It was also easy to overhear Katie's silly gushing at Tim, much as I didn't want to. Regrettably, I was right about her response to Tim's goofy comment. "That's what this is all about, isn't it? A little corner of the world where no one is judging anyone else about their body or anything?"

Then just when I thought it couldn't get any worse than that, Tim had to open his mouth again. "That's beautiful. But I must confess I am judging your body, Katie, and my judgment is a good one!"

Katie at least had the decency to laugh at that. "Thank you! That's just the sort of thing that made me fall in love with this place last time, how open we all can be here. People say they like each other's clothes, their hair, why not everything else?"

"Somehow it just isn't the same, is it?" Tim said. "I like your shoes, I like your eyes, I like your vulva!" He said that last word with a ridiculous flair that reminded me of my altercation with Katie over it a few months before.

Katie remembered too, for she gave me a triumphant glance out of the corner of her eye. "So nice to meet a man who isn't afraid of that word! And thank you, I'm glad you like mine. But can you really see it?"

To my utter disgust, they both looked down at Katie's big bush, which of course they couldn't see through. Tim laughed. "Now that you mention it, no. But I do like what I do see. I'm so glad there are still women out there who don't shave everything off. Always loved natural beauty."

Sure you did, you smarmy little toad, I thought as I turned around and pushed up out of the water. I'd heard all I could stand to. But I couldn't make my escape quite fast enough to avoid hearing Katie gush about how much she loved being natural. "So erotic to look down and see a triangle, I always thought!" That was news to me, but maybe that was only because Katie had always been smart enough not to tell me she was turned on by such vulgarity.

I danced off the rest of the afternoon reading on my deck chair, casting an occasional glance at Tim to let him know I was interested but not giving off too much, of course. It's never wise to let a man know you're falling for him right away, if ever. He smiled back a time or two, even as Katie kept him busy frolicking in the water for ages. I almost felt sorry for him, but he could have simply gotten out of the pool anytime just like I did, if the poor dear had any backbone.

At long last I spotted him hugging Katie goodbye, and put on my flirtatious grin for when he came by my chair. Perhaps I had done too good of a job of keeping him at arm's length, because he got out of the pool on the other side. I know all there is to know about leading a man around by the penis, I conceded, but not an immature brat like Tim. The poor thing was lucky he was so cute. As for Katie, she lingered in the water for a few minutes with some of the other shameless naked people, and then finally climbed out to greet me. "Have you fallen in love with the place yet?" she asked.

"Oh, sure," I said, doing my best to look only at her face. It wasn't easy. "But don't think for a moment you'll get me down here without my swimsuit anytime soon."

"Christine, that's fine!" She flopped down in the chair next to mine, still making no effort at all to cover up. "It's all about what you're comfortable with. Just, if you're still not up to it on Nude Day, you might not want to come to the pool then. You'll be welcome in your suit, but you'll stick out more than ever."

"I usually do anyway," I reminded her.

Dinner was a lively affair, and thankfully everyone got their clothes back on for it. I had resisted the temptation to chat Katie up about Tim while we were dressing (which of course I did in the bathroom as Katie was too shameless to draw any boundaries) because right then I didn't trust her to keep her mouth shut about my planned conquest. But I was pleased they'd hit it off when we arrived in the dining room and Tim waved at us from a mostly empty table in the corner.

I gave Tim a cordial nod and led the way to his table, keeping my delight to myself. Katie kept nothing to herself. "Good job staking out this corner!" she told him as he stood to greet us, gripping at both his hands like a groupie meeting a rock star. "Always was my favorite seat in the house."