Clans of Luteri Bk. 02 Ch. 05-07

Story Info
Kane takes Aslin to the Tavishi shrine.
19.9k words
4.82
9.8k
9

Part 3 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 03/13/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hey, Everyone. I don't know what to say about any delay with the previous chapter. I see it is not on pending status as I'm submitting this and I'm a little worried. I'm hoping it will post as usual. Here are three chapters. I didn't know if anyone saw the issue with the truce band in chapter 2. It's amazing what you see after you read something repeatedly. Sorry about that. -Harp

Chapter Five

Kane was walking fast down the passage just in front of her, a grin stretching his face, close to laughter, glancing behind himself. He'd only just escaped Aslin on the stairs from their rooms, one of her slippers striking him hard on the back. She was right behind him. But she wouldn't run, not inside a place, no, that wouldn't be proper, and he did laugh. He saw the safety of Tavishi Hall in front of him.

His clan still treated the Corsaire like she was fragile, rumors of her awful treatment with the savages of Alveria making them reluctant, and Helene guarded Aslin's feelings aggressively. His oath's Alverian manners hadn't help to dispel the impression that she was too tender to tease. It wasn't healthy, and he was determined to change it. Kane glanced back again.

Aslin was beautiful, furious at him, still in her nightdress, her dark hair all around her loose, fanning behind her with her speed, her fastest walk. He'd had more fun than he could remember, deliberately provoking her, waking her abruptly and rubbing her every wrong way he could think until she had grabbed her slippers for weapons and lunged at him as he ran out of the door.

She was in no mood that he would escape after all her efforts, her intentions entirely violent. He taunted her through the bond, goading her more in case she faltered at the threshold.

She made a deep, sharp noise behind him and he prudently increased his speed.

He barely made the hall. She was right behind him. He exploded into it laughing and ducking as the slipper meant for him flew over his head and hit Garit with a solid smack before falling to the floor, whose hand went up to to shield himself as he protested the sudden assault.

Kane darted, taking the seat next to Garit as if he'd always been there as Aslin swept like vengeance into the room, her face flushed, her eyes black and snapping with temper, her hair settling mussed and long down to her hips and all around her. Those scary eyes locked on him and he put one leg out in case he needed to retreat farther for his own safety as every eye in Tavishi Hall turned to her and silence descended.

Aslin stopped her advance abruptly, seeing them, her feet bare. Those eyes roamed the hall, everyone startled, frozen, some with utensils hovering near their mouths. She drew a breath, straightening her back, her hands going to her dress to smooth it. She looked down, realizing she was in her nightdress, and her eyes flew back to his, glaring.

"Are you so hungry, Corsaire?" Kane said lazily, taking up Garit's cup of cavash, sipping at it as the man gave him an indignant glance and retrieved it from him. "You might want to put your clothing on first."

"What is that you have on, Aslin?" Garit said tactlessly, looking her down and up. The man could be relied upon for this, he wasn't very bright. "Do you sleep in a dress? Isn't it itchy and hot? Doesn't it ride up and bother you when you move in your sleep?"

Aslin's face began to work. Kane felt her trying very hard not to laugh, glancing at him desperately. She abruptly turned back around and walked straight out, her own hand clapping over her mouth, the muffled brays of her laughter coming from down the hall, the giggles and breathless huffs receding. But they'd seen it, heard it.

Everyone relaxed, a few leaning and peering to the doorway to make sure she was not going to return. When Kane looked around, he saw interest, speculation. Kane smiled to himself, satisfied. Tavishi wouldn't fear to tease her now.

Kane turned and brought his hand to Garit's shoulder.

"I want to thank you for taking the blow that was meant for me. There aren't many who would stand strong in the face of that degree of wrath."

Laughter in the hall. Garit looked confused, which was not unusual.

"What did you do to Aslin?" Garit asked him, people hanging on every word, more laughter.

Kane shook his head sadly.

"It doesn't take much to bring a Corsaire to violence," he instructed the man solemnly to more general laughter.

The laughter doubled as a hand descended from nowhere and smacked him on the head, Kane failing to duck it. He shook his head to get his hair out of his eyes, looking up. Helene was glaring at him.

"Don't you try to blame this on Aslin. She is the gentlest, kindest, most—," Helene began, stopping as more laughter rose around them considering the evidence to the contrary that had just appearing in front of their faces as she continued, glaring around in general, "civilized person and you would tempt anyone's patience with your teasing and your smart mouth, Kane. I should know as your sister, nobody would believe the things I endured from you in our childhood..."

She went on some more as Kane got up, hunching his shoulders against the abuse, looking for food. She trailed after him, still bleating.

"...that time you sewed my pant legs together and shouted fire, waking me. Are you even listening to me?" she finally said as he brought his food back, sitting.

"Well, I can hardly help from hearing you, given you are shrieking and following me like a bad odor," he complained.

She gaped at him, entirely flushing.

"I didn't know fish was for breakfast," he said, mimicking her face, crossing his eyes.

Helene turned, grabbing and upending a tureen of cider on his head. It was luckily not too full but it was cold and wet and Kane leapt up, shaking his hands, cider flying around him as his neighbors protested.

"Look what you've done, Sister," Kane said in disgust, pushing his wet hair back. "You don't love me at all? Now I have to brave the Corsaire to change my shirt and she won't have calmed yet, it takes at least an hour of brooding and nasty glances."

"If you're done," his father spoke, humor under it, from the main table amid general laughter, "offending the women of Tavishi clan, Kane, you'll find a new shirt in my rooms. I wouldn't spare you from your oath's vengeance or your sister's, but I need you to take three men and ride out toward Minsk again, see if you can find the boy."

Brendel. Mina had come into the hall two nights ago to say the boy was gone. Tavishi had people out since then but they hadn't found him yet. Everyone knew his fascination with ships. Minsk always drew young curious Luterians. Kane sobered, nodding, grabbing a piece of bread on the way.

#

Aslin was sitting in Tavishi Hall speaking to Helene. Bache had already expressed his amusement at her expense and given her back her slipper. She gathered Helene had defended her. She was grateful, entirely embarrassed by her display.

They all looked up as Kane and three other men swept into the hall, coming straight to Bache.

"Corsaire found him," Kane said to his father.

Aslin stood, looking around as Tavishi warriors rushed grimly toward the stables. She went to Kane.

"What's happening?"

He pulled her to the side and out of the way.

"It's Brendel, the boy," Kane said. "He went alone to Minsk to see the ships. He was taken by Corsaire. They have him and will be at the gates soon."

"I don't understand. Isn't it good he was found?"

"If Tavishi had found him, yes."

Her stomach dropped.

"What will Corsaire do?"

"They will beat him to blood while we watch."

"Beat him!" she exclaimed. "But he's just a child!"

"He's a boy old enough to make the journey, and it's only his youth that ensures they will return him at all. You knew this, Aslin. Nobody remembers who did it first, but once that started, the other did the same but a little worse, and then there was no stopping it."

"I'm going with you."

"Saddle Ilian then. Nobody else can go near her still," Kane said as she turned and walked with him.

#

Aslin rode out of the courtyard with Tavishi warriors, seeing Mina already running down the main road of the village toward the gates. When they arrived at Tavishi gates, Corsaire were just gathering, a whole thick group of riders on warhorses, their clothing and leather black with blue swirls where Tavishi were in browns and golds. Tavishi stopped inside the gates in a line on their horses.

Ruthe dragged Brendel from between two horses and put him on his knees in front of the gates, a Corsaire man aiming at him with an arrow. Mina pressed herself to the gates.

"Brendel!" she cried, Luk moving behind her in case he had to hold her.

The boy was filthy as if he'd been rolled in the dirt, tear tracks the only clean thing on his face. Ruthe had him by the collar, grinning down at him, his eyes cold.

Aslin pushed Ilian forward, dismounting and dropping the reins. She ran to the smaller gate, unlocking it impatiently and pushing hard on it. Nobody tried to stop her. She ran to the boy, Ruthe stepping back. The Corsaire archer immediately lowered his bow. She raised the child to his feet and took his hand, putting him behind her.

"What do you think are you doing!" she said to Ruthe. "Are you mad?"

Ruthe laughed.

"Good afternoon, pretty cousin," Ruthe said cheerfully, stepping back to see her, smiling at her. "You look well. I hope you're coming to visit soon. Corsaire miss your presence. Your father sends his love, if we were to see you."

"I am taking the boy home. You will not stop me," she declared.

Ruthe shrugged, and then bitterness crossed his features.

"I hope you will be as concerned when Tavishi do the same, Aslin. They beat Finel at the Corsaire gates last year and he was younger than this pup."

"I assure you nobody will beat any child of either of my clans while I can stop it," she cried, glaring at him, furious.

Ruthe grinned at her again, his eyes sweeping her.

"It's good to see your Corsaire fire, cousin. I hope the Tavishi appreciates it. It would be a shame to waste it on a man who could not understand its beauty."

Ruthe's eyes slid to Kane, who was sitting on Shaol behind the gate, all of the Tavishi warriors without expression.

"Take the Tavishi boy, then," Ruthe continued, turning and getting on his horse. "Don't forget Corsaire, Aslin. There are those who crave your company, and I wouldn't mind a meal with you."

She didn't answer, still glaring. Ruthe flattened his lips, giving a great whistle. As one, Corsaire turned and left. Aslin grabbed the boy's hand, marching him to the gates and through them.

Mina ran through the tall horses, going to her knees, throwing her arms around him. The boy put his head on her shoulder, not so proud now she was there.

"I'm sorry, Mother," he choked.

Aslin went to stand in front of Shaol, glaring at Kane.

"Yes, Aslin," he said wryly, seeing it. "We'll return the gesture if we find any wandering Corsaire whelps. We could hardly do otherwise now they have." He turned to Brendel. "If your mother can bear to have you out of her arms, I'll take you back on Shaol if you'd like, Brendel."

Brendel's face lit up and Mina smiled, releasing him and wiping her eyes, straightening. She gestured her permission. The boy ran to Shaol, who held still as Kane leaned down very far and grasped the boy's hands, pulling him up in front of him, the boy's eyes going round as he went up and up.

"Are you well, Brendel?" Kane asked, looking down at him when the boy was on the horse. "Corsaire clan did not abuse you too much?"

"No, Kane," the boy said bravely. "They didn't take me to Corsaire Hall at all. They brought me straight here when they found me."

"Well, I think you've already had the consequence for your actions, even if it was only the threat of a beating. Others will have more to say about it, but there will be no other punishment if your mother agrees. I believe you understand now why it's important to stay in the protection of your clan."

Kane looked at Mina, who nodded. Then he looked down at the boy, whose eyes were on Aslin like she was magic, shielding him by herself from Corsaire warriors. Kane laughed softly, his eyes going to her, lingering. When they got back, Tavishi unsaddled their horses and she unsaddled Ilian, men going to the boy and talking to him about his error and telling him he was brave.

When she got to the hall, Kane came to her, drawing close to her. She stepped away, frowning lightly up at him. He cocked his head at her.

"Did I do something wrong, Aslin?"

"You cannot approve of this practice, Kane. You cannot think this is right."

Kane sighed and raked his hand through his hair.

"I snuck away to see the ships in Minsk when I was younger than Brendel. I wanted to see more of the world and I was restless to always be protected so carefully, the son of the High Lord."

"You told me. You were made to muck the stables."

"Evidently that wasn't enough, because I did it again a month later," he said ruefully. "And that time I was caught by Corsaire."

"What happened?" she asked, already dreading the answer.

"Corsaire kept me for three days and three nights without telling my clan. They put me in the dark and the cold and filth of the Corsaire dungeon and didn't feed me well. Before I was returned, they took me to the Corsaire High Lord's hall and stripped me bare and humiliated me in front of Kavini and Ruthe. On the morning of the fourth day, Kavini brought me to the Tavishi gates and personally beat me to blood while my mother and father and my clan watched. I was scared and shamed and I hadn't been struck before, not by a grown man, and it hurt. I cried. No, I don't like the practice, Aslin."

Aslin was staring up at his face.

"My father did that to you?" she said.

He took her hand.

"And we've done as bad to them, Dutul. I don't want you to hate Corsaire for it. They are your clan. It's good what you did today. It's what our fathers intended when they made the match, that you would be loved by both clans and help us to be more peaceful with one another."

He pulled her closer, and this time she yielded, putting her arms around his neck. She sniffed at him.

"Why do you smell like cider?"

"It doesn't matter. But you can tell that Corsaire dog Ruthe your cousin when you visit them next that I like your fire just fine and to keep his opinions to himself," he said.

"Am I visiting them?"

"Of course, Corsaire, whenever you want. They are clan to you. They will want to see you. Do you want to go soon?"

"I don't know how I feel after what you've said, after what he did to you," she replied, angry at her father on his behalf now.

Kane put the back of his fingers on her cheek.

"Corsaire have not attacked us since you came here, Aslin. Tavishi have not attacked them. We haven't declared peace between us, not yet, but it's the most we've had since I remember. They could have taken Brendel to the Corsaire Hall first and humiliated him before bringing him to Tavishi gates. It's what is usually done. I believe your father thought you might stop it, if that helps. I don't think it surprised Ruthe when you shielded the boy from the beating."

She took a deep breath, releasing it. She looked down, feeling strange.

"I would like to see my father, Kane. Just for a small time."

"Don't feel badly for it, Aslin. He's your father and they're your clan. Stay as long as you like, although I do hope you'll come home to me before too long. I miss you when you're not next to me in your bed."

"Why do you always call it my bed?"

Kane shrugged, looking puzzled himself.

"I don't know. I guess we just think the women have the bed and put the men in it if they want them."

#

At dinner in the hall that evening, Aslin's eyes followed Mina and Brenden. The boy looked well—cleaner, certainly—and was being greeted by everyone.

"Where is Brendel's father, Kane?" Aslin leaned in to ask him quietly. "Is he dead?"

"No. Brendel's not oath-born, Aslin. I know who his father is and it wouldn't take many questions for you to learn his name. But unless Brendel's father makes an offer and Mina accepts his oath, he has no claim on the boy, and neither of them want that."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked," Aslin said quietly, averting her eyes.

Kane shrugged.

"Luterian women don't conceive often, but sometimes it can happen unexpectedly and we're happy to have the boy."

"But he won't know his father."

"Look at him, Corsaire."

Aslin looked. Mina had gotten a plate and was talking with the people she sat with. The boy hadn't made it to the table yet, surrounded by clan warriors who were teasing him, his face flushed, and then the boy was laughing. A man reached out and tugged his ear, an affectionate gesture, the boy sending him a worshipful glance.

"He will know he isn't oath born, yes, but he will never be shamed for it, nor his mother, and it doesn't make him less valuable to us. Ruthe of Corsaire was not oath-born either, and he will lead Corsaire clan one day. There are no orphans here, Aslin. If a child loses both its parents, it is fostered and loved like any other, and I would defend Mina and Brendel with the same strength of my body I would give to shield any of my clan."

#

Kane looked at Aslin's face, watching her watch Brendel. There had been no word from Kavini regarding what he might have learned about how Aslin had been taken to Alveria.

Then Kane saw Dute put his arms high above his head and stretch, giving an exaggerated yawn that got everybody's attention, and Kane abruptly returned to his plate, paying close attention to eating, not looking at Aslin.

"I am going to bed," Dute announced in general. "Does anybody have a dress I could wear?"

Kane glanced at her briefly. Aslin was looking at Dute. There was silence in the hall, everybody pretending they weren't listening, but there were sly glances. Aslin's eyes roamed the hall, narrowing.

"I don't, Dute," Stole answered after a pause. "My dress is still wet from wearing it to bathe, you know."

Muffled laughter, innocent faces. They paused again, being kind, letting Aslin get the rhythm of it. Kane ate.

"Why would you wear a dress to bed, Dute?" a man leaned over to say to him, concerned.

"Afraid of the sight of my own nipples," the man answered solemnly, wiping his hands.

Laughter, a little louder. Another pause.

"I accidentally spotted my own ass the other day when I turned around too fast," Moren contributed tragically. "I ran away but it followed me."

Outright laughter this time. They were just getting started, but they paused again for her, more sly glances. Aslin was sitting straighter, red creeping into her cheeks. He saw Helene's glare at Dute, which Dute ignored.

"It seems to me," Aslin said into that pause to nobody in general with a sniff, loud enough, "that some people's asses, judging by the wooliness of their chests, would provide a kind of natural sleeping garment, like a pelt."

Surprised silence in the hall. Dute turned to Moren.

"Did she just say to you that you have a hairy ass, Moren?" Dute asked him.

Moren glanced at her and then back at Dute.

"I think she did, Dute," he said, dissolving into laughter as Dute did, the whole hall erupting. Kane took his next bite, grinning.

#

A week later, Aslin was trying to get her dress on. She had wrapped one of the loops incorrectly at one point early and was trying to avoid having to go back and start over, but no matter how she tugged it failed to fall right. She blew out her breath, feeling a surge of annoyance, beginning to unwrap the whole thing with jerky motions.

Kane was watching her from the bed, leaning back on it although he was dressed, his hands behind his head, evidently finding her entertaining. She felt another surge of annoyance.