Clean Slate

Story Info
Scarlett gives Shane another chance to start over.
2.3k words
3.73
3.1k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At the end of May, Scarlett returned home for good and accepted Shane's invitation to dinner at his house.

She arrived at 6pm as per Shane's instruction, she knocked the door and stood back on the path. Shane opened the door. "Hello, come in, sorry this is boiling over..." he said, holding the door for her and then rushing into the kitchen. Scarlett stepped into the hallway and shut the door. The house was as beautiful and welcoming as always and she suddenly remembered how in awe she'd felt the first time she stepped into it. She followed the noise coming from the kitchen and found Shane wearing a tea towel over his left shoulder, standing at the oven with various pots and pans bubbling on the hob and trying to look in control. "Sorry, I didn't want to answer the door to you like that. I didn't time the cooking very well." Shane said, looking flustered as Scarlett stepped down into the kitchen.

She leaned against the counter and was strangely relaxed despite what felt like an awkward and tense atmosphere. "No, don't worry." she smiled, shaking her head casually. "Can I help?" she asked.

"No, I'm sorry. I just want everything to be perfect but I'm already messing it up." Shane growled, frustrated at himself.

"It's OK, Shane. It's only me, there's no need to fuss." she said softly, stepping forward to touch his elbow. "Are you sure there's nothing I can do?" she asked.

He turned round to face her when he felt her touch his elbow. Scarlett noticed he had his hair cut and gelled, his beard was neatly groomed and he was dressed smartly in jeans and a top. "No, really. I didn't invite you over to make your own dinner. I want you to relax, chill out, make yourself at home..." he said.

"I will as long as you do. You're trying too hard... just relax, chill out, make yourself at home..." she teased, softly.

He looked embarrassed. "Oh ok. Eh... well you could get the drinks and then just... sit and wait..." he shrugged and laughed nervously. "I got that wine you like..." he said, gesturing towards the fridge.

Scarlett opened the fridge. "I'm driving. Do you want some of this one or have you got something else for yourself?" she asked.

"Open it. You can have one glass!" Shane said, teasing her.

"No, I'm OK. I'll have juice but I don't want to open this if you don't want it." she said. He looked at her, annoyed. "One glass is how it starts and then it's the whole bottle and I'm not being persuaded, Shane." she said, jovially. He pointed to a bottle of beer, Scarlett opened it for him, got herself a drink and sat down.

She smiled to herself as she sat at the table watching him get totally flustered by something he usually behaved arrogantly about - cooking a steak dinner. She knew he was feeling self-conscious because she was sitting watching him and she secretly enjoyed this rare feeling that she had the upper hand.

Finally Shane served their food and they sat together to eat. Shane was awkward and nervous and the tension in the room was bristling. "Thanks for cooking." Scarlett said, still feeling calm. Shane continued the conversation about the food. It was stunted. "Listen, I know you invited me here because you're trying to make amends." Scarlett said. Shane glanced at her nervously before looking down at his dinner again and humming in agreement. "I'm glad we kept in touch before I came home. It was nice to just be able to talk and laugh and it was comforting knowing you were on the other end of the phone." Scarlett said, smiling softly.

Shane nodded and sat up. "Yeah, it was. It felt like when we first got together," he smiled. "Now we're in the same place and you're not just on the other end of the phone I feel really nervous or something." he laughed, nervously. "Like when we first got together!" he chuckled.

"You weren't nervous when we first got together, you were bold as brass. This is the first I've ever seen you so subdued!" Scarlett giggled. "What's wrong?" she asked softly, reaching across the table and touching his hand.

"Nothing." Shane said, shrugging. "I just don't want to fuck things up again. I know we've talked this to death but I want to make sure we make a better go of it this time." he said, softly. Scarlett nodded and smiled, she thought to herself she'll believe it when she sees it.

They finished their dinner and moved into the sitting room, Scarlett settled on the sofa while Shane brought tea and cake and sat down beside her. "Oh you're really pulling out all the stops, CAKE and everything!" Scarlett teased. Shane laughed.

"I was thinking we should maybe go away on a trip somewhere. What do you think?" Shane asked. Scarlett was surprised.

"Oh, yeah. That would be good. Where were you thinking?" she asked.

"Well, I haven't been camping in ages and the weather's getting better..." he said, smiling.

Scarlett looked at him blankly. "Are you joking?" she asked, cautiously.

Shane chuckled "No! It'd be fun. My mate Paul and some friends were talking about going to the camping ground in the forest park, have a barbecue and light a camp fire. That sort of thing."

"Eh... I'm not keen to be honest." Scarlett said, digging in to her cake. "I'm not keen on camping, you know that."

"Aw come on! It'd be fun!" Shane said, stroking her thigh. Scarlett looked at him.

"So in the last year you've been to New Zealand and Japan?" she asked. Shane nodded. "And you want to take me camping in a forest park 30 miles down the road? In fact you want ME to take US because I'm the one who bothered to learn to drive and has a car." she said.

"Okaaaay." Shane said. "Maybe not then. You just reminded me..." he said before getting up, running upstairs and returning with a paper bag. "I can finally give you what I brought you from Japan!" he said, smiling and handing her the bag as he sat back down beside her on the sofa.

Scarlett smiled shyly as she put her plate on the coffee table, opened the bag and took out the items. "There's a fridge magnet for your mum's collection as well." he said. He'd bought Scarlett a beautiful silver Hello Kitty compact mirror, on the front Kitty was dressed in a kimono making herself up as a geisha. He also bought her a Hello Kitty lip gloss and a keyring with a wooden geisha doll in a red kimono.

"Aww cute, thank you." Scarlett said, reaching over to hug him. "And you bought me lip gloss even though you hate it!" she giggled. "They're lovely, thank you. This mirror is much better than the one I use at the minute!" she remarked.

"I know, I did think that out loud too. Peter was concerned that I knew that." he laughed. Scarlett smiled. "The wee wooden geisha is to symbolize good luck. I was hoping to give it to you before your exams but..." he smiled and shrugged.

Scarlett put the items back in the bag and set it on the table. She shifted closer to him on the sofa and kissed him softly on the lips. He inhaled steadily before she sat back, lifted her plate from the table and started eating her cake again.

"Back to the trip idea," Shane said. "Paul and his wife are doing a trip to the theme park, what about that? There's an overnight stay in a cabin and all day at the theme park." Shane said, enthusiastically.

Scarlett smiled. "Yes that sounds great. Count me in. When is it?" she asked.

"Wednesday, I think." Shane said, awkwardly.

Scarlett looked puzzled. "You mean next week?! I can't, I start my new job on Monday!" she said, thinking he'd forgotten.

"I know but can you not put it back a week?" he asked.

"Put it back? Like 'Sorry, I can't start until the next week cos I'm going to a theme park with my boyfriend and his friends'...No!" she said, shaking her head.

"I thought it was only a temp job anyway." Shane said, dismissively. Scarlett looked at him and gently moved away from him on the sofa.

"It is." Scarlett said quietly. "But that doesn't mean it's less important. I've signed a contract for 6 weeks and I have to stick to it." she said, disheartened. She finished her cake and lifted her cup of tea.

"Sorry babe, I didn't mean to discourage you." Shane said, embarrassed.

"I don't want to go camping, I can't go to the theme park that you're inviting me to at the last minute and I am looking forward to starting my new, 6-week temp job on Monday. Thanks." she said, breezily with a pursed-lips smile.

Shane edged closer to her and put his arm around her. "There are lots of things to do that we've always done. There are films coming out that we've been waiting to see, remember? The Simpsons, the new Harry Potter, the next Bourne one. I'm pretty sure one of the cinemas in town is still showing a couple we've missed recently if you fancy it next weekend?" he asked.

"Eh, yeah, that would be good. We haven't been to the cinema together for quite a while!" Scarlett said, nodding and smiling at him and finishing her tea. She looked into his cup to see it was also empty and she got up, lifting the plates and cups to clear the dishes into the kitchen.

"Leave them, babe. It's OK." Shane said softly, stroking her back. "I'll clear up later. C'mere." he tilted his head back gesturing for her to sit back on the sofa. She left the crockery down on the table and sat back down on the sofa, turning towards him and sinking into his embrace. Shane's arm fit perfectly around her and he held her firmly as he looked in her eyes. "I'm glad you're here." he said, stroking her back. "I'm glad we're back together, I've missed you, Scarl." he kissed her in short, soft kisses on the lips.

Scarlett stroked her hand up his thigh, over his torso and rested it on his chest as she gently slid her tongue into his mouth. They both inhaled sharply, Shane groaned quietly and Scarlett trembled as their kissing intensified. Scarlett stopped and Shane looked her in the eye. She knew he was looking for permission but she shook her head gently at him. He lifted her chin and kissed her once more on the lips. "Do you want to watch some TV?" he asked, pressing the TV remote. Scarlett hummed in agreement and settled closer to him, lying her head on his chest and hearing the familiar comfort of his heartbeat. He stroked her hair and her back and kissed her head. He found a comedy show and they settled down to watch it. Scarlett felt herself getting sleepy but she didn't fight it, it was a comforting, cozy feeling to be nestled on Shane's chest with his arm around her, holding her as they watched a TV show she had seen a thousand times before. Something so simple but something she had craved for such a long time. She drifted off into a restful sleep and was woken by Shane gently nudging her and saying her name.

She lifted her head slightly and realised she had fallen asleep on him, the TV show was over and it was getting late. "Oh, sorry, I dribbled on you." she said, drowsy and embarrassed.

Shane chuckled "I kind of missed you doing that as well." Scarlett smiled and sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Do you want to go to bed?" Shane asked.

Scarlett stretched as she sat up. "What time is it?" she asked, yawning.

"Quarter to eleven." Shane replied.

"Qwar-ter to ill-evan?" Scarlett said, mocking his accent. He laughed and nodded. "Oh man, I'd better go." she said, standing up.

"Babe..." Shane said as he sat forward on the sofa and took her hand. Scarlett looked round at him. She raised her eyebrows in response to his knowing look. She gathered the dishes and took them into the kitchen and then pulled her car keys from her pocket as she stepped back up into the sitting room.

"Thanks again for dinner and a lovely evening." she said as Shane stood up and approached her. She stood up on her tip toes to wrap her arms round his neck, pulling him into a tight hug and then loosening her grip to kiss him. Shane slid his arms round her waist and under her top, stroking her skin just above the waistband of her jeans. They kissed in slow, passionate kisses for a moment. "See you next weekend then for the cinema?" Scarlett asked.

"Stay, babe." Shane whispered, kissing her again. She shook her head gently. He looked at her, his eyes heavy with lust. "Stay tonight." he whispered, softly kissing her neck. Scarlett gasped and then wriggled.

"I'm going home," she said softly. "Don't beg." she kissed him then hugged him tightly before slipping out of his grip and walking out into the hallway. He opened the front door for her and held her in a lingering kiss before she left.

When she got home, Scarlett had a text message from Shane that he'd sent while she was driving. "I wish you were here sleeping in my arms. Sweet dreams, babe. Next week needs to hurry up so I can see you again. xx"

"Wow!" Scarlett said out loud to herself, sceptically.