Coffee and Claire Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Home was waiting for me just as I left it. I lived in a beautiful old victorian home that suddenly felt too big for one person. Strange indeed. There was lots of adjoining space and I had a greenhouse and a wood shop on the grounds along with a nice garden. Gardening and woodworking were hobbies I picked up from my parents and I was quite good at both. Not as good as them but I managed. I threw my bags into the bedroom and walked straight into the shower. The Getting dressed after my shower, I decided to leave for the cafe and have a sandwich there. I started walking towards the high street which was fairly close by. I debated taking my bike but the weather was decent enough for a walk. When I rounded the corner to the cafe, I saw an alarming sight that made me regret not going back even more.

The cafe was closed with a bank foreclosure notice on the door. I had no idea where Claire would be now or how she was doing. I should have at least asked for her number at some point in the last two years! Now I had no idea how to reach her. This was probably the time she needed a friend the most. I walked into the chip shop next door which was also a frequent haunt of mine and asked Greg, the owner about the cafe. He was a nice old man that kept to himself and he was surprised to see me asking about the cafe and Claire. He was an old friend of Claire's parents and certainly felt protective of her. He didn't want the new bloke, despite being there for two bloody years, asking about his beloved Claire. "What is your business with Claire young man? I've seen you around often but that hardly makes it okay to be sniffing into people's business. Nasty as it is!" "I'm just concerned Greg. Claire is a good friend." I lied. I certainly couldn't call myself a good friend but Claire had been a good friend to me. "You might be a scientist and all but leave my poor Claire alone! Hasn't she had enough with all this awful bank shit and her mum being an invalid! You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to get to her at such a time. I know your only concern and it ain't honorable!" he scolded. "Greg, there seems to be some sort of misunderstanding. I know I'm new around here but have I ever been known to be an unsavory man? You've seen me around often enough! I'm not interested in anything untoward, I assure you. I was in Seattle and just got back. I was here for my usual coffee and saw the foreclosure notice. I was worried for Claire. That is it! Nothing more!" Greg seemed to consider me carefully for a while. His assumptions pissed me off even though there was some truth to them. I hoped to have convinced him.

"Okay lad, I think I believe you. Besides, Claire needs a friend now and she's spoken about you a few times. I had to know for myself that you was a decent bloke." He admitted. "Can you tell Claire I was asking about her?" It didn't feel right to ask Greg for her number or address. "She should be around here at about half past six for some things from her shop, why don't you wait around until then lad?" Greg said. I was relieved that I would see her but the thought also made me anxious. " Sure Greg. Can I get my usual while I wait?" I asked him. "Sure lad. It's with gravy, innit?" "Yup!" I said. I turned to the table in the corner and sat eyeing the door counting moments until Claire walked in. That was the worst half hour of my life! Sure enough, Claire was there a few minutes early and one look at her face made my heart shatter into a million pieces. She saw me sitting there and gave me a smile despite her eyes being too red from all the tears she had shed for god knows how long. That smile, I admitted was enough for me to walk into a burning building for her.

12