Coffee and Portraits

Story Info
Barista Finds Love with a Troubled Artist During Pandemic.
15.6k words
4.82
9.3k
12
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
chloehunt
chloehunt
846 Followers

**This is my submission for the Literotica 2022 Valentine's Day Story Contest. It's a romantic drama about falling in love in less-than-ideal circumstances. Please vote if you enjoy it!**

---

The best thing about my job has to be the smell. Nothing is more appealing to my olfactory than freshly brewed coffee. I drag myself out of bed early in the morning and head straight to work to make myself a cup. That's an odd order to do it in, you say? It's not odd when you're a barista at a boutique coffee shop in Manhattan. You wouldn't believe the exotic variety of coffee my boss, Lesley, keeps in stock. I get to enjoy all of them. It's a job perk for sure, and it almost makes up for the annoyances of living in a cramped apartment with two roommates. I'm saving every extra penny in hopes of opening my own coffee shop someday. It's a distant dream. Fantasizing about my own business gets me through the less-than-glamorous parts of my life.

Work has been stressful for the past two years, thanks to the ongoing pandemic. By some miracle, I avoided getting sick. Staying well is a priority when you can't afford a hospital visit. Lesley also prioritizes her employees' health. She's a great boss and a fifth-generation Manhattanite. Being prepared for the worst is something she's good at, but I could see the stress on her face that frigid February morning. I was the only employee able to make it in after a foot and a half of snow fell overnight. Some of our most popular coffees were getting low because of supply problems, and Lesley was considering dipping into her emergency stash.

"Well, maybe business will be slow today. It is Sunday, and there are snowbanks on the sidewalks," I offered, right as the bell jingled over the door.

"I'll dig the reserves out of the freezer. Yell if you need me, Samantha," Lesley said before disappearing into the back.

I quickly donned my "Lesley's Hot Shots" custom barista mask and greeted the well-dressed man that just staggered over a three-foot snowbank.

"Good morning! Welcome to Lesley's. What can I get for you?"

"Good morning. I need a second," he said with a southern drawl as he approached the counter.

His big gray eyes were scrutinizing the neon pink coffee mug on my mocha-colored mask. The mug had bright red lipstick marks on it.

"That's a great design. Easy to remember," he smiled.

I couldn't actually see his smile behind his black mask, but I could see it in his eyes and cheeks. The pandemic helped me appreciate how pretty eyes can be. He had a good pair. I suspected he was a businessman from Texas, and his fur-lined black overcoat probably cost as much as my rent.

"It's been Lesley's trademark for ten years now. Crap, it's snowing again!" I huffed when I noticed the sudden whiteout beyond the window.

"Damn, it wasn't a few seconds ago," Tex grumbled as he removed his gloves. "Okay, uh... I'll have two super-tall vanilla lattes and one tall caramel mocha to go."

"House blend, Kona, Jamaica special, or Sumatra?" I asked and pointed to our exclusive list on the blackboard over the espresso machine.

"Wow, um... the boss has expensive taste, so let's go with the Kona."

"Excellent. It's worth it. I'll throw it together."

"Thank you... Sam," he nodded after checking my name tag.

"You're welcome, mister...?"

"Caleb Harper," he declared and offered me his hand.

"Handshakes are risky in a pandemic, but I like your accent, so I'll take the risk."

He chuckled and shook my hand. Then I turned around and immediately washed my hands, making him chuckle more.

"No offense, Mr. Harper. It's a work protocol. Are you from Texas, by chance?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"It is. What's a cowboy like you doing in Manhattan?" I asked while preparing the Kona beans for the first grind of the day.

"My high school buddy dragged me out here to work for him."

"Wow, he sounds like a demanding friend."

"A little. Rusty's a good guy. He will literally take a bullet for you."

I gasped when I realized who he was talking about.

"Holy cow, you work for Rusty Blake of Blake Law? The same Rusty that was all over the news for taking a bullet for his girlfriend?"

"She was actually his client when it happened. The girlfriend part came later, but yeah. That's him."

"Wow, you have a really cool boss and friend. Tell him I'm a huge fan."

"Absolutely. Impress him with that coffee, and he might visit the shop with me in the future."

"Sweet! I will. Thank you, Caleb. You are awesome!"

I was grinning like a fool at the thought of meeting Rusty Blake as I turned on the grinder. He was a local hero after the popular trial that almost got him killed. I read every romantic news story about him and his girlfriend, Scarlet.

"Hey, Caleb, I heard rumors about a movie inspired by your boss's most famous trial. Is there any truth to that?" I called as he sat down at a corner table.

"There might be a book and a movie in the works. Don't tell anybody I told you that."

"My lips are sealed," I said in an overly giddy tone.

I was determined to make the best damn coffee in New York at that point. The drinks looked and smelled heavenly as I boxed them up and called Caleb over to retrieve them. He paid, left a great tip, and made a careful exit over the snowbank.

"Lesley, I'm going to attempt to clear some snow away from the door," I yelled and grabbed my coat and an ice scoop.

Walking around the counter, I noticed Caleb had left a pen and napkin on his table. I stepped over to clean it up and gasped at the doodle on the napkin. Caleb had made a beautiful sketch of my face without the mask. The lips weren't quite full enough to look like mine, but the eyes and hair were perfect. Completely forgetting my snow-clearing mission, I sat down to stare at my portrait. It was the most flattering thing a stranger had ever done for me. My face felt hot with blush as I admired the skill that went into creating something so detailed on a pitiful little napkin. I wondered if Caleb Harper did portraits all the time or if he just really liked my face. One thing was for certain, that napkin was going home with me and into a frame.

Monday morning offered a new challenge. The snowbank had gotten higher despite my and Lesley's efforts to clear it away the previous day. The city was half-choked with ice and snow, and more was falling. I almost slipped and busted my ass three times on my journey to work.

"This is ridiculous, Sam. Maybe we should call it quits until everything melts," Lesley grumbled as we struggled to get the front door open enough to squeeze in.

"The ice isn't that bad. It's blocking the bottom. Do you have a key that I can scrape it with?"

"I need my keys to work, so no."

"Do you ladies need help?"

We looked up the street to see Caleb's handsome figure. Snow was sticking to his dark hair and collecting on his shoulders. He was carefully making his way towards us down the treacherous sidewalk. The sight of him made my morning a hundred times better.

"Our hero approaches! You wouldn't happen to have an ice pick, would you?" I called.

"No, but I do have a pocket knife and an urgent coffee order. I'll be in serious trouble if I return empty-handed."

With Caleb's help, we got the door open and hurried in out of the cold. Lesley thanked him profusely and offered him free coffee, but he insisted on paying. He claimed it was in everybody's best interest if Lesley's shop stayed open and well funded after the magical coffee his boss enjoyed yesterday.

"Rusty was grumpy as hell until he had your coffee. As soon as I walked in this morning, he ordered me to leave and get more. Please tell me you have more?"

"We do, but supplies are getting low," Lesley confessed.

"Damn, how much would it cost to pay for what's left of the Kona and keep it in reserve for Blake Law?"

Lesley's eyes widened at that question.

"Uh, give me a minute. I'll have to do the math."

She grabbed her phone and retreated to the backroom, leaving me to get started on Caleb's order, which had quadrupled.

"Can you carry all this on your own through the snow and ice?" I called over the noise of the grinder.

"That's what they pay me for."

I laughed and started the brewer before stepping away from the counter. Caleb was sitting at his favorite table, scribbling on another napkin. I was eager to see what he was working on. I stopped six feet away from him since I wasn't handing him something to eat or drink. That was one of Lesley's strict pandemic rules.

"Hey, uh, I loved that portrait you made of me yesterday. It was kind of amazing."

He quickly hid his drawing under his hand before he looked up and smiled big. I really wished I could actually see all of his smile.

"Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. Would you be against letting me see your mouth so I can make a better one? You don't have to if you don't want to."

"I don't mind. I'll hold my breath and give you a quick look."

Sucking in a gulp of air, I quickly pulled my mask off and gave him a big smile.

"That's perfect. Thank you."

He gazed at me for a long moment, and my face suddenly felt hot from a blush. I wasn't sure why I had that reaction. I wasn't flashing my tits or anything, but it felt scandalous, and he didn't look away until I put my mask back on. The moment had been surprisingly intimate. It left us both feeling awkward. I retreated behind the counter to finish Caleb's order as he focused on his drawing.

A minute later, two more brave customers climbed over the snowbank and entered the shop. I greeted them and took their orders as I finished Caleb's. Lesley came out of the back and passed Caleb a folded note. I was trying to watch the exchange between the shoulders of the new customers. She returned to the counter to close out Caleb's order, stealing my chance to chat with him. He thanked us both before leaving the shop, hauling more than a gallon's worth of steaming hot coffee with him.

Once the new customers were served and on their way out, I hurried to Caleb's table to see if he had left me another drawing. It was disappointingly empty. That's when Lesley tapped me on the shoulder and handed me a receipt wallet. I opened it and smiled at my new napkin portrait. It was penned in blue ink. He had styled my dark hair over my shoulders instead of up in my typical work bun. He made me look stunning instead of ordinary.

"I think he's crushing on you a little," Lesley noted.

"I hope so," I smiled.

The next morning brought sunshine and warmer temperatures. A good portion of the snow melted, allowing coworkers and normal customers to return. Caleb stopped by at seven to retrieve another large order for his office. He had called it in since the drinks were getting more complicated.

"You don't dress like an office assistant," I noted.

I was admiring the cashmere suit under his overcoat as he leaned on the counter to my right.

"Rusty runs a fashionably tight ship. Do you prefer cheap suits?" he asked with an eyebrow raised.

"No, I was just voicing the obvious. What do you really do at Blake Law?"

"I'm a scenario specialist. I mostly work with Rusty to help flesh out details that people omit when under oath. We explore motives through imagined scenarios and put ourselves in our client's shoes and everyone else involved in the case. Rusty says my mind is warped, allowing me to see what normal people miss. He likes to compliment me with insults."

"That's fascinating. Do you draw scenarios too?"

"Sometimes. Portraits are a relaxing hobby for me, not a work requirement. I sketched this during a meeting yesterday. It's a little better than my napkin doodles. I want you to have it, but don't open it until I'm gone," he said and handed me a folded piece of paper.

It had been torn out of a spiral binder. I tucked it into a receipt wallet for safekeeping.

"Thank you. I'm sure I'll love it."

Once Caleb was gone and the morning rush calmed down, I retrieved his gift and opened it. My mouth dropped open as I gazed at the beautiful portrait. My eyes almost sparkled with detail. The pen strokes were more like elegant brush strokes. Caleb had drawn me from my hips upward and wrapped me in a lacy dress fit for a fairy princess. How anyone could find me that interesting left me puzzled and flattered. Lesley hurried over to see why my eyes were bugging out of my head.

"Oh boy, you inspire him, Sam," she giggled.

"I need to buy more frames."

The next day was disappointing. Most of the snow was gone thanks to sunny weather. At seven on the dot, a younger fellow named Jaden, who actually looked like an office assistant, arrived at Lesley's shop to pick up the order for Blake Law. He smiled big when he saw me, making me think he had seen me somewhere before.

"Is Caleb alright?" I asked as I packed up the order.

"He's fine. He's just super busy with the boss this morning. He told me to tell you and Lesley good morning."

"Oh, thank you. Please tell him good morning from us too."

"I will," he smiled as he searched my eyes. "I see what he likes about you. Have a great day!"

He grabbed the large order and retreated before I could question his comment. A flood of customers distracted me after that. My morning felt off without seeing Caleb. I barely knew the man, but he had my attention even when he wasn't there.

I met Lesley at the shop door the next morning, anxious to get started on the Blake order. Not seeing Caleb the day before made me nervous about seeing him that day. I would glance out the window every chance I got, hoping to catch him walking up the street. Lesley chuckled when she caught me doing it.

"Sam, why would he come this early? It's not even opening time yet."

"I don't know. I was hoping he might come early to talk to me," I shrugged.

"Oh, speak of the devil," she smiled before she quickly donned her mask.

I looked out the window just as Caleb stepped in front of it and knocked on the door. I felt relieved and excited as Lesley hurried over to let him in. He stepped through the door and immediately met my gaze. He had a few items tucked under his arm.

"Good morning, Lesley, Sam. I know I'm super early. That's not a problem, is it?"

"Not at all, Caleb. You're our favorite customer. I got some work to do in the back. Keep Sam company for me, would you?"

"It would be an honor."

Lesley winked at me before she sauntered into the back.

"I missed you yesterday, Caleb. Did Jaden pass along our good morning?" I asked.

I was trying to act casual and keep working as I spoke. For some reason, my stomach was fluttering like I was on a first date. It had been a long time since I felt like that. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves as I filled the brewer with fresh grounds. It was taking Caleb a long time to answer my question, forcing me to turn around to see what he was doing. He was leaning on the bar counter to my right, bent over a sketchbook. A fancy metal tin of coloring pencils was next to his hand. He was deep in concentration as he scribbled away.

"Caleb, did you hear me? Caleb....... CALEB?" I called, finally catching his attention.

His head snapped up like I had startled him.

"Sorry, did you ask me something?"

I chuckled at his reaction.

"It's okay. It wasn't important. Can I see what you're working on?"

"Not yet."

I smiled and stepped closer to catch a peek, but he quickly closed the sketchbook.

"Why can't I watch you work?" I asked in disappointment.

"It makes me nervous. I can't focus while being watched. Sorry."

"It's okay. You're an incredible artist, and I respect your methods."

He smiled big, and his cheeks reddened just above his mask, and my desire to see all of his face rebounded.

"Speaking of methods, may I see your mouth again? I need to do a color comparison," he said and collected three shades of pink out of his tin and presented them to me.

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours. I'm fully vaccinated and boosted, by the way. Lesley's orders."

"That sounds fair. I'm fully vaccinated and boosted too," he nodded and started to remove his mask.

"Wait, I also want to see your drawing before you run off with the coffee today. I can already promise I'll love it," I declared.

His brow creased with worry at that request.

"I'm not comfortable with that, but... I'll do it."

He was completely serious. Caleb was a gifted artist, and genuinely nervous about my reaction to his work. That made no sense to me.

"Caleb, you don't have to show me if it's going to upset you."

"It's okay. I want to do it," he nodded.

He didn't sound like it was okay, but I didn't press the matter.

"Alright, I'll go first," I said and reached for my mask.

"Wait, I have a better idea. May I remove your mask?"

I raised an eyebrow at that request, making him smile.

"You're just upping the ante today, aren't you? Go for it. I'll try not to bite."

I leaned on the counter and presented my face to him. He took a deep breath and carefully pulled the little straps off of my ears, intentionally caressing my ear lobes with his fingertips as he worked. A delightful shudder raced up my spine from his touch, and he caught me chewing my bottom lip when he pulled my mask down.

"My turn," I announced and reached for his mask.

"Wait, give me a second."

I watched in confusion as he dug two more shades of red out of his pencil box and set them between the pink shades on the counter.

"Okay, bite your lip again for me, then you can remove my mask."

I laughed at his request. Taking a deep breath, I relaxed my face and chewed my lip as sensually as possible. His gray eyes widened as he watched me. Then he asked me to do it again.

"I love that flash of red. It's hard to capture that in a portrait," he whispered as he touched my face and gently ran his thumb over my bottom lip.

That simple touch did all kinds of interesting things to my body. His razor-sharp focus had returned as he studied my mouth. I took that opportunity to reach up and remove his mask. He had a baby face and a mouth equally worthy of admiration. I quickly found myself caressing his cheeks and pulling my fingernails over the dark stubble along his jaw. I may have moaned softly when the smell of his skin filled my nostrils. My touch broke through his concentration, and his expression softened as I held his face between my hands.

"Caleb, can I k..."

Before I could finish, his lips pressed against mine, answering my question. I ran my fingers into his soft hair and kissed him with gusto, enjoying his taste and the sweet smell of his breath. He moaned as I worked my tongue against his. His fingers slid into my hair, pulling a few strands free from my work bun. I was tempted to climb over the counter and into his arms, but I didn't want to lose my job. I was already treading on thin ice. Suddenly, Caleb's phone came alive in his pocket with a cavalry charge, startling us both.

"Shit," he gasped and pulled away. "It's Rusty. I have to answer it."

I nodded as he backed away and pulled his phone out of his pocket.

"Good morning, boss! What's going on?" he asked, then he cringed away from the phone as Rusty yelled at him. "Sorry, I stopped by Lesley's early to pick up the coffee," he explained as he looked at me with pleading eyes.

I gasped and scrambled back to the brewer to finish the order. Caleb talked Rusty down from his rage before he finally ended the call.

"Shit, Sam, I am so sorry about that. Rusty has been stressed by a case for the past two weeks, and I forgot he wanted to see me early this morning. I haven't been much help this week," he explained.

"Don't apologize, Caleb. This has been a great morning. I have no regrets," I smiled.

chloehunt
chloehunt
846 Followers