Come As You Are Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey, Kim." Sadie managed to squeeze her way from Kim's embrace. "How did you hear about that?"

"Gio texted Vienna and Garrett about it! What happened? Are you OK?"

"Everything's fine. I had a little altercation with Amy Yates. She said something about my dad so I popped her one."

"She insulted your father? Totally gross!"

If someone needed a physical representation of a "ditzy blonde cheerleader," Kim Ellis would have been the automatic reference for everyone at Emerald Pines High School. A natural 34-24-34, blonde, the red formal dress she sported looked to Sadie like it belonged on a New York fashion runway. Part of her hair was braided in a crown around her head, the kind that would have been worn by a May queen, while the rest fell past her shoulders like a shimmering gold curtain. Considering her good looks and family's exorbitant wealth, it would have been easy for Sadie to be jealous of Kim if not for the fact that she was bubbly, perky, and almost sickeningly outgoing. Even as captain of the cheerleading team Kim never once acted like someone whose father was not only one of the richest men in the western United States but was also potentially in bed with organized crime.

Kim practically bounced as she stepped backward to address the entire group. "A couple rules. Basement is off limits and so are a couple rooms upstairs. You see a black rope, that's a no-go zone. Other than that, the rest of the house is open. Green rope brings you here to the ballroom or back to the front door, gold rope to the bathrooms, red rope is for the media room, it's got the Majesties game and the basketball playoffs, and the silver rope takes you to the back deck where the tram station is. The tram's been turned off and the door to the tram itself is double-locked but the station is open because it's got a kickass view of the mountain. If you're going to smoke, do it outside. Spill something, let me, Vienna, or Garrett know right away. Break something, don't try to hide it, just come find me. Good? Good! I'll be at the front door greeting people if you need me! Have fun!"

Sadie, Brenda, Garrett, and Gio all blinked as Kim finished her quasi-monologue without taking a single breath. Already their host had spun away, eagerly heading towards the ballroom's exit. "Did anyone catch all of that?" inquired Gio.

"Something about ropes and having fun," answered Sadie.

Shaking her head, Brenda turned to Garrett. "I'll take that drink now, barkeep."

"One gin-and-tonic with lime for the blonde," Garrett said, gently pushing a red Solo cup across the bar towards Brenda. "One Coors draft for the gentleman. And what would interest the brunette this evening?"

Sadie tapped her fingers against the wooden surface of the bar. A sly, teasing smile crossed her face as she batted her eyes at Garrett. "Any chance of a Long Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall?"

Only the fact that Gio's cup hadn't reached his lips prevented him from performing a spit-take. "Oh my God Sadie," he stuttered, his composure a momentarily lost cause. "Please tell me that's a shot."

"It's a drink," Garrett answered with a smile. "And one I know how to make."

"You know how to mix that up?" Sadie laughed.

"I've worked at Pike's since I was fifteen. I've slipped behind the bar a time or two." Garrett turned around to the twin shelves of bottles hanging on the mirrored wall behind him. "It's... vodka," he said, taking a bottle of Ketel One from the shelf. "Southern Comfort, sloe gin, liqueur... ah, Galliano liqueur... and orange juice." He set the bottles in front of Sadie one at a time as he rattled off the ingredients.

"You have to study your butt off for History," Gio remarked, "but you can remember what goes into an obscure drink."

"Now Sadie," Garrett asked, "there's one important question. Do you want your Long Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall with a Bang or with a Kiss?"

Sadie raised an eyebrow at Garrett's question. "Depends. How are you at kissing... OW!" Sadie reached over to rub the dull ache that had exploded on her upper arm. "What was that for?"

"Stop flirting," answered Brenda. "Just let the poor boy make your drink."

"I wasn't flirting! I was making conversation."

"For you, that's flirting."

"Fine," Sadie groused. "I'll try it with a kiss, Garrett. That's rum right?"

"Rum and amaretto," Garrett said as he added a bottle of amaretto and a bottle of Wray & Nephew to the collection on the bartop. "Kim's got enough booze back here that I could make damn near anything someone requests. I hope people keep their drink orders simple tonight."

"As long as you can make a Long Island Iced Tea," noted Gio. "That's always been the 'exotic' drink around here."

Gio fell quiet, as did Brenda and Sadie, while Garrett began to mix Sadie's drink. "And," he proclaimed as he finished adding the final splash of amaretto over the ice, "one Long Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall with a Kiss. Sorry for the Solo cup. Kim doesn't want any broken glass on the dance floor."

Sadie accepted the drink. She took a small sip, savoring the fruity taste for a moment. "Not bad." After taking a second, longer drink, she gave Garrett a polite nod. "Acceptable. Dare I say, even adequate."

"Really?" To Sadie's surprise, Garrett leaned over the bartop, attempting to give her the same playfully flirty look she had given him a moment earlier. "And just how familiar are you with Long Slow Comfortable Screws Against the Wall?"

Out of the corner of her eye, Sadie could see both Gio holding his palm against his face and Brenda shaking her head. "A lady never kisses and tells," she replied. "So, what is the bartender drinking this evening?" Garrett responded by opening one of the beer coolers and proudly holding up a six-pack of Ruby Red. "Oh come on," Sadie exclaimed. "All that top-shelf liquor behind you, and you're drinking beer?"

"I like Ruby Red," Garrett answered defensively. "I associate some very pleasant memories with this beer. Seemed fitting to have a couple on prom night."

"Pleasant memories, huh? Sounds like you've got a story there..."

"And a gentleman never kisses and tells." Brenda looked at Garrett. "Right?"

"Spoilsports. Come on, let's go stake out our table." Sadie saluted Garrett with her cup. "Thanks for the drink. Oh, and if you're expecting to get laid tonight," she said after taking a sip of her drink, "you need to work on your flirting. A-minus for effort, C for self-confidence."

X X X X X

Sadie looked down at the empty Solo cup. "That was strong."

"I think Scarecrow's overpouring," Michelle said as she downed the rest of her Jack-and-Coke.

"I'm not complaining." Colette was in the middle of her first drink, a whiskey sour. "Just have to pace myself!"

"You're already outpacing yourself." Brenda put an arm around Colette's waist and pulled her towards the dance floor. "Come on, let's go dance!"

"Be right there!" Michelle handed her empty cup over to Sadie. "Mind going to get me another one? Ask him to make it less Jack and more Coke."

Before Sadie could protest Michelle was following the other two young women towards the dance floor. Over the past forty-five minutes, the ballroom of the Ellis' manor had become packed with almost fifty high school seniors attempting to have the night of their lives. They chatted with each other even as they danced, some focusing more on the chatting and some letting the music dictate their actions. Gio had wandered off with a couple of other guys at some point. Probably going to catch the end of the basketball game. "Boys," she thought with a wry grin as she began to move around the outside of the dance floor.

There were a few huddled groups along the edges, those who were chatting each other up or just too nervous to step foot on the dance floor. Sadie gave a few friendly nods and waves to the people she knew. Behind the bar, Garrett had just finished mixing drinks for a pair of classmates. "Hey Sadie," he called out as she bellied up. "Having fun so far?"

"Yep!" Sadie put the pair of empty cups on the bar. "I need another Jack-and-Coke for Michelle, and I'll go with a vodka tonic with lemon. And," Sadie added as Garrett turned back to the bottles lining the shelf behind him, "can you make them a little less strong? That first round almost put us on our asses." He nodded in understanding. Sadie watched, becoming impressed as he managed to mix the requested drinks with practiced ease. "Huh," she said in jest, "apparently it's only your Long Slow Comfortable Screws against the Wall that need work."

"I've only had a couple requests for those in my lifetime. If I'm lucky... practice makes perfect, right?"

Sadie chuckled as she took her drinks from Garrett. "Who says that... oh, damn it." Sadie put the drinks back down on the bar and looked down at her heels. The strap on one of them had come loose. "Sorry," she said, "shoe malfunction."

"Sadie!" Sadie saw Garrett tense at the loud, boisterous yell of Danny Eastman. The basketball player flopped against the bar, wearing a drunken smile while he looked down at her. "How the hell are you doing?"

"Fine," she answered in a flat tone.

"Hey Danny," Garrett said in a voice that almost matched Sadie's. A forced smile showing gritted teeth sat on his face. "Another round?"

"And don't fucking water it down this time!" The tall, sandy-haired basketball star had already shed his tuxedo jacket and bow tie. The top button of his dress shirt was undone, and there was that little bit of sweat on his brow that spoke to how much he had already drunk this evening.

"You were drinking Jack-and-Coke, right?"

Danny scanned the bottles behind Garrett on the wall. "How about a Captain-and-Coke? Think you can mix it without fucking up?"

"I can mix one." Turning towards the wall, Garrett reached for the Captain Morgan's. "You set on Morgan's," he called over his shoulder, "or do you want something different?" He motioned to the long line of bottles. "There are all kinds of spiced rums here, brands I don't recognize. Hell, I can't even pronounce half these names!"

"Must be from fucking Europe or something. What the hell, I might as well get used to drinking high-class booze." Danny leaned over the counter. His eyes narrowed slightly as he tried to focus on the labels. "Fuck, I don't know. It's all foreign to me!"

Garrett looked towards Sadie. "You know your booze. Do you see anything that might be spiced rum?"

Sadie joined Danny in leaning over the bar, craning her neck. The three classmates spent a few moments looking for anything recognizable. "How about that one," Sadie finally said, pointing to a bottle whose label had been turned away from the ballroom. "Kraken Spiced Rum? I've heard my uncle mention it a few times. "

Garrett followed Sadie's finger and saw which bottle she was pointing at. "94 proof," he said as he grabbed the bottle. "Yeah, that's booze alright. I'll pour you a shot so you can see if you like it."

"You know what? Pour me one too." Sadie rapped the bar with her knuckles. "And one for you too, barkeep."

"Hell yeah!" Danny slammed his fist on the bar, causing Sadie to jump slightly. "Take a drink, Scarecrow. Put some hair on your chest!" She watched along with Danny as Garrett grabbed three plastic shot glasses from under the bar. As soon as he poured a shot of dark liquid into one of the glasses, Danny grabbed the glass. Without any hesitation, he downed the rum in one smooth motion. "Holy shit," he said as his eyes widened as the alcohol hit him, "that's fucking amazing. Yeah, definitely give me some more of that!"

Sadie waited until Garrett poured the remaining before taking hers. "Got a toast?" she asked him.

"Do we need one?"

"Please. A shot without a toast is like sex without foreplay."

"Like he'd have any idea," Danny smirked as he tapped his shot glass on the bartop. "Fill me up. I'm not gonna be the only one not drinking."

Once everyone was ready, Sadie held up her shot glass. The two young men followed suit. "Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, screw like it's being filmed, and drink like a true Scotsman. Down the hatch, boys."

The spiced rum left a pleasant trail of fire down her throat. Danny took his second shot with ease. Garrett, after a momentary cough, nodded approvingly. "One Kraken-and-Coke then, coming up."

"Alright, people!" Sadie and Danny turned away from the bar as Garrett was setting up to mix Danny his drink. The current song was slowly fading as Vienna spoke into the microphone. "We've got our first request for the evening. This one's from our resident spooky girl, who I'm sure is sitting in a dark corner somewhere."

The spooky girl in question was standing in the middle of the dance floor wearing black pumps, a short sleeveless black dress, black lipstick, black eyeliner, and an onyx necklace with matching earrings. With hair dyed blacker than the blackest black, Evelyn Ballion casually lifted her hand in the air from the middle of the dance floor. "I am right here, Vienna," she softly called out in her lilted voice.

"I see you girl. This one's not for everyone, so here's your chance to hit the bathroom or get a refill if you don't feel the music. Oh, and anyone who comes up here to complain about the song or asking me to play a different one, you're banned from making requests for the rest of the night. I'm playing all the bubblegum pop you want without complaining, so in return, you're gonna listen to my shit. Trust me, opening your minds is going to make college a hell of a lot easier for you."

As the first few beats came over the PA speaker, a good number of the young adults who didn't recognize the song left the dance floor to take a break. For those who remained, especially Evelyn and her friends, the deep throbbing bass caused them to react, either with cheering or grim smiles, as they began to dance to the music.

"What... the HELL... is this song?" Danny turned away from the bar to face the DJ table. "What the HELL are you playing?" Vienna ignored him, already focusing on picking out the next song. His response was roughly the same words with more drunken volume. "YO POLLEY, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS STUPID SONG?!?"

A few of the young adults on the dance floor shot daggers at Danny before going back to the music, save for Evelyn whose calm stare held pure poison. Sadie could see Vienna sigh using practically her entire body as she picked up the microphone. "It's called 'Every Day is Halloween,' Danny. Know your damn Ministry."

"It's not fucking Halloween," he called back.

"The song is called 'Every DAY is Halloween.' If you don't like it you don't have to dance." Vienna put the microphone down and went back to her CDs, with the rest of the dance floor already back moving to the gothic song.

# Well I live with snakes and lizards #

# And other things that go bump in the night #

# Cause to me every day is Halloween #

# I have given up hiding and started to fight #

"I'll dance when I want to dance." One hand curled as Danny turned around. "God West, your best friend's a stupid bitch. No wonder you two get along so well. Just between you and me, you hit that?"

"No Danny," Garrett sighed. "I have not 'hit that.' We're friends. That's all."

"Virgin, huh? No surprise. Although wait... what about you and Giovanni? I could see you being his bottom... no, no, I got it!" Danny clapped his hands together, a look of fake amazement on his face. "Polley and Giovanni! So you're the odd man out! Yeah, that explains everything!"

Sadie could see Garrett clutching the edge of the bar as the basketball player laughed at his own joke. She stepped forward, making sure both Danny and Garrett could see and hear her. "Garrett's just trying to bartend. Isn't one of the rules of life not to mess with the people who handle your food and drink? Let him do his job, OK?"

After a moment, Danny nodded. "Yeah... yeah, you're right Sadie. This isn't the time or place for this. Forget my drink. Just give me the whole bottle, and throw in the bottle of Coke too. This way we won't have to talk to each other." Garrett nodded in agreement as he put both bottles on the bar. "I started drinking way too early," said Danny. "Need to pace myself. You mind throwing me together a club soda? With ice?"

"Sure." The tension had left Garrett's body as he put a glass on the bar and filled it with ice. "You want a lime with that?" he asked while he grabbed a bottle of club soda from underneath the bar.

"You have a preference?"

"I usually go without lime." Sadie felt relief as Garrett poured the clear carbonated liquid into the glass and slid it across the bar. "Here you go," he said as Danny picked up the glass. "If you..."

Garrett blinked as Danny immediately threw the club soda in his face. He wiped at his eyes, liquid running down his face and ice scattering across the surface of the bar. By the time he had recovered, Danny was on his way towards the ballroom door, laughing with a drunken roar and taking a swig from the bottle of rum in his hand. "Motherfucker," Garrett muttered as he grabbed a napkin.

"I'm sorry Garrett." Sadie grabbed a nearby bar towel and did her best to wipe up the mess on the bartop. "I didn't think he would do that."

"Neither did I. My fault for having a little faith in humanity." Garrett gave Sadie a quiet smile and a deep sigh as he finished drying off. "All good. Won't let that guy ruin my evening. Did he get your drinks at all?"

"Nope. You sure you're OK?"

Garrett waved a hand in the direction of the dance floor. "Go dance."

"You going to dance at some point," Sadie asked as she grabbed her and Michelle's drinks, "or are you going to stand behind the bar all night long?"

"Kim said she'll find someone to spell me, but I'm not the dancing type. I'm perfectly OK being a watcher on the wall."

"Oh come on, you should come dance later on. It'll be fun! You can't spend your senior prom serving drinks to everyone. That just doesn't seem right."

"Maybe," Garrett said in a tone Sadie knew meant 'no chance in hell.'

"I'm going to get you to dance," she called over her shoulder. "Somehow, I don't know how, but I WILL get you to dance!" Sadie found herself whistling along with the song as she walked away.

# Why hide it, why fight it? #

# Hurt feelings best to stop feeling hurt #

# Denials, reprisals #

# It's the same it's the same in the whole wide world #

X X X X X

Sadie rubbed lightly at her face, attempting to wipe away the sweat without messing up her make-up in the process. "I don't know if I'm buzzed from the booze or lightheaded from dancing."

"Maybe you're buzzed, lightheaded, AND dehydrated from sweating," Colette suggested.

"I'm drunk, sweaty, and thirsty. That explains EVERYTHING!" The other three girls laughed, a bit louder than normal, at Sadie's proclamation. "I'm gonna go get some fresh air, a drink of water, and take a leak. Preferably in reverse order." She took two steps towards the door to the ballroom, before turning to Michelle. "Where the hell is the bathroom in this place?"

"Hang a right," Michelle told her, "and follow the golden rope. You'll see a painting of some rich old guy on the wall. Bathroom's the door next to it."

The dance floor was packed with her classmates as they grooved and jumped along to "Shut Up and Drive" by Rhianna. She managed to make it to the door without stumbling and followed the golden rope until she saw the picture in question - a floor-to-ceiling picture of some guy who looked like he walked right out of the Colorado Silver Rush. "Thank you, History class," Sadie mumbled to herself as she walked into the bathroom, where the black granite countertop sported bright stainless steel faucets.

1...34567...10