Coming Home Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Taking a deep breath, he turned away and headed towards the taxi rank outside. Noting his surroundings, he could see the things that had changed and the things that hadn't. There had always been a few shops lining the road up to the station; the newsagent was still there, just as he remembered, so was the florist and the dry cleaners but the café was definitely new.

Leaning in the cab window he gave the driver the address he wanted and, getting an accepting nod in return, he threw his bags into the back before climbing in after them.

"Home on leave?" The cabbie asked disinterestedly.

"Something like that."

Not wanting to talk Sean had replied rather tersely, his mind now preoccupied with where he was going and what he was going to do.

'What would he say to Liam's mother?'

'Would he even be welcome?'

The taxi driver shrugged and lapsed into silence leaving him to watch the familiar streets slip by and remember back to happier times, his thought changing to the girl he had known for just a few hours.

'What had happened to the her?'

'Had she come back after going to university?'

'She was almost certainly married by now.'

"That'll be sixteen quid, mate."

Sean Parkes glanced up at the taxi driver, he had been so lost in his thoughts that he was barely aware that the cab had stopped.

"Oh right, sure."

Fishing out his wallet he passed across two ten-pound notes to the cabby.

"Keep the change."

"Cheers." The driver smiled taking the money, "Have nice day."

"You to." Sean replied as he opened the taxi's door, not expecting to have anything of the sort.

'If only there was a chance of that happening.'

He smiled to himself as he heaved his two bags out onto the pavement.

Following them he stood for a moment staring at the coffee shop in front of him.

Even though he was worried about the reception he would get when he got home, he had something that he had to do first, something he had promised a young Marine he would do.

Remembering his words to young Liam Frane he had found out where his mother worked and now he intended to honour his vow, no matter how difficult it would be for him.

'This is for you Liam.'

Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself and pushed open the door.

It was late afternoon and the café was empty. An older woman behind the counter looked up when the bell jangled, her welcoming smile turning to a frown when she saw Sean's uniform.

"Can I help you?" He could sense the unease in her voice and her expression was anything but welcoming.

"Mrs Frane?" He didn't really need to ask; he would have recognised her immediately.

She looked at him suspiciously, "Yes, I'm Christine Frane. What can I do for you?"

Sean swallowed apprehensively. He knew this was going to be difficult for both of them.

"My name's Sean Parkes. I was with Liam when he... when he was killed."

As he said it the colour drained from her face and the two of them stood silently gazing at each other.

"He asked me to come and see you.... before he... before he...."

Even as he said it Sean felt the tears start to flow as the pain surged up inside him again. The ultimate sacrifice that Liam and several of his other comrades had made over his time serving overseas finally overcoming the grip he had on his feelings.

Christine Frane immediately put down the cup she had in her hands and stepped around the counter to pull Sean into her embrace, her own tears soaking in to his uniform.

Neither of them spoke as they stood there, clinging to each other, both of them overcome with emotion.

"You... you said you were with him when he died?" She asked when she eventually released him and stepped back wiping her eyes.

Dragging his hand across his face he nodded, "Yeah. He... he died in my arms."

"Oh God, you poor man."

Liam's mother exclaimed before taking a deep breath and trying to compose herself.

"He asked me to come and see you. He wanted me to tell you... His last words were that he loved you."

Struggling to get the words out Sean choked, barely able to finish his sentence.

Christine Frane started to cry again and whispered, her voice almost inaudible, "Thank you."

"Nana."

The single word jolted the pair out of the moment they had found themselves in.

"Yes sweetheart?"

Christine immediately turned her attention to the small child who had appeared from the back room and stood a few feet away, her gaze fixed on Sean.

He guessed she was about six or seven years old. Her dark hair was tied back from her face in a small ponytail while her large, unsettlingly familiar, blue eyes regarded him curiously.

"Can I have a cake. I'm hungry." The little girl asked as she continued to stare at him.

"My granddaughter, Tabitha. I'm looking after her." Christine Frane told him by way of explanation as she took a slice of Victoria sponge out of the display and put it on a small plate.

"Not Liam's...." He said without thinking.

"Hardly." The older woman chuckled, "No, she's my daughter's child."

Helping Tabitha onto a seat Christine continued talking as she looked back at him, "Her name's Mackenzie, she's.... she's a few years older than her brother."

"I didn't know Liam had a sister."

"There was just the two of them. Liam's father left when he was three."

"Liam told me that you brought him up by yourself."

Christine sighed, "Do you want a coffee. I'd like the opportunity to talk to you. If you have time that is?"

Sean nodded, "Sure, I have all the time you want."

Sitting down at one of the table's he smiled at the small girl still staring at him before turning his attention back to Liam's mother. Watching her as she went back and made two cappuccinos, bringing them over to him when she was done, he wondered how much he could or should tell her.

"Sergeant Parkes isn't it? I remember now. Liam wrote about you in a letter, he told me all about you, said how much he admired you."

Blushing Sean took a sip of his drink, "Liam was a good Marine and a credit to the unit."

"How... how did he... did it happen?" Christine asked quietly, "All they told me was... that he was killed in action."

He took a moment and looked at the child who was sitting quietly eating her cake, her eyes still fixed on him.

"Hello Tabitha. That's a very pretty name." Trying to buy himself some time Sean spoke to the girl.

"You look like uncle Liam. What's your name?"

"I'm Sean. I knew your... your uncle before...."

She didn't answer and just stared at him for a moment longer before going back to her cake.

Turning his attention to Christine he took a deep breath, "Sorry, it's still... well you know...."

Taking his hand she smiled reassuringly, "Yes, I know what you mean."

He took another breath, preparing himself, and started.

"We were on patrol. Escorting a group of local policemen when we came under fire. One of the officers was hit and Liam went to help him when the explosion went off."

Christine's face paled, "Was he..."

Sean ignored her question. He wasn't about to tell her how badly injured her son had been or how he had lied to him.

"His last thought was about you. He asked me to come and see you, to tell you he... he loved you before he..."

Sean stopped mid-sentence, tears trickling down his cheeks as he broke down again and found himself unable to finish what he was saying.

Chapter 04 - Mackenzie

The first day in her new position simply flew by for Mackenzie as she started to get to grips with all the requirements of her new role, and before she knew it the clock was ticking towards five o'clock. She had barely had a moment to herself and had only taken fifteen minutes to rush out and grab a sandwich for lunch, which she had eaten while reading e-mails.

Fortunately, it had meant that she was able to push Charles Marwell's visit and comments out of her mind, at least for the moment.

Hitting the enter key she sent her last e-mail of the day and sat back, letting out a deep breath, before closing her laptop.

"You can go if you're done, Amanda."

"If you're sure Miss Frane?" The youngster answered a little hesitantly.

"I've told you it's Mackenzie, and yes I'm sure. You've worked hard today." She told her as she tidied her own things away.

"Thanks. I'm meeting my boyfriend at seven. We're going to the cinema tonight."

Mackenzie smiled, "Seeing anything nice?"

"He wants to see some sci-fi movie but I don't mind." Amanda informed her as she started to pack up her own desk, "As long as I'm with him I'm happy."

She didn't answer and wondered what it would be like to have someone, apart from her mother and daughter, in her life. Her experiences with men had been extremely limited and none of those could be considered to be anything but mistakes, except one.

Not that she really had a chance when it came to dating.

An unmarried mother; the fact she had a child either put men off or made them think she was easy. When really she had been in love with her dream man for eight years now and anyone else paled in comparison.

'Where is he now?'

'Is he married? Has he got children?'

For a moment her mind drifted back to the night of her prom.

She had walked out of the hotel room following her head rather than her heart and, making the biggest mistake of her life, regretted it ever since.

"Do you have a boyfriend Miss Frane.... Sorry, I mean Mackenzie."

Looking up she smiled at her assistant.

"No. No, I don't."

"Why not? You're really pretty."

"Thank you Amanda, but I guess I just haven't met the right man yet." Mackenzie replied ruefully, knowing that she was lying.

"Yet!" Amanda snickered, "So, there's still hope for you then."

Mackenzie chuckled, "I doubt it."

'Who would want a single mother with a seven-year-old?'

'Where would she meet a decent man anyway?'

Clearing her desk, she pushed the negative thoughts to the back of her mind and put her laptop in her bag, intending to do some work later at home, before pulling on her jacket.

"Enjoy the film Amanda." She told her assistant as she left.

The bus ride to the 'Coffee Pot', her mother's café took her just under fifteen minutes and it was close to five-thirty when she eventually pushed open the door.

"Sorry mum, I'm a bit late..." She had barely set a foot inside the door before stopping mid-sentence in the entrance to stare, horrified, at the soldier sitting talking to her mother.

The pair were in deep conversation when Mackenzie's angry voice interrupted them. Seeing his uniform brought back all her memories of Liam and the pain she had felt when she had been told he had been killed.

"What the fuck is a bloody soldier doing here?"

"Mummy." Tabitha jumped down off her seat and ran over to the door, holding out her arms to be picked up.

"Mackenzie..." Christine pushed back her chair, standing up and starting to speak.

"What the fuck do they want now? Liam's been dead for months. Why can't the bastards leave us alone to grieve for him."

Even as she spoke to her mother Mackenzie kept her eyes fixed on the soldier, the look of fury on her face shaking Sean as, wiping his eyes, he also stood up.

In that moment their eyes met and as she stared at him she felt her pulse rate surge and her heart start to thump urgently against her ribs.

'There was something that was strangely familiar about him.'

'It couldn't be, she was imagining things.'

Still angry she forced the thoughts aside and continued her tirade against him.

"If you came to say how fucking sorry you are you're three fucking months too late. You should have come to the funeral."

Holding her daughter to her she glared at him.

As he looked back at her he immediately realised why the little girl's eyes had seemed so recognisable.

'Liam's sister had been the girl at the hotel.'

The fact shook him to the core and he looked away.

"I'm sorry, I... I should go." He looked unhappily at Christine, although he desperately wanted to say something he knew the only thing he could do was to leave.

"No, stay please Sean." The older woman replied before turning to her daughter, "Mackenzie there's no need..."

"There's every fucking need. Haven't they done enough?" The younger woman continued with her vitriolic diatribe, "Why don't you just fuck off and leave us alone."

"Thank you for the coffee Mrs Frane."

Sean picked up his bags and paused to stare into the deep blue, angry eyes of Mackenzie Frane. She was obviously upset by his presence and clearly she wasn't over her brother's death but then, for that matter, he wasn't either.

However, underneath all of his emotions there was something else, something he hadn't ever expected to feel again.

Staring balefully back at him she couldn't help but notice his deep brown eyes and was surprised to feel her stomach tighten and her pulse rate unexpectedly quicken yet again.

Again, she felt an unbidden sense of familiarity.

"What was it about him?'

Trying to suppress the unanticipated and unwanted response to his presence she took a step back so he could get to the door.

"Bye." She stated curtly pulling the door open for him, "Don't bother coming back."

Without another word he stepped out into the street leaving the two women behind him.

Turning to her mother once the door had closed Mackenzie cuddled Tabitha to her as she continued her rant.

"What the fuck do the Army want now? Isn't it enough that they got Liam killed."

"First of all, Liam was in the Navy not the Army. He was a Marine not a soldier." Christine corrected her daughter, "And second Sergeant Parkes didn't want anything."

"Well, where was he when we were burying Liam. If he was that bothered he would have been there then."

She knew her tirade was illogical but when it came to the subject of her younger brother the wounds were still very raw.

Christine shrugged, "I don't know why he wasn't but I got the impression that he would have been if it were at all possible."

"You're too soft mum. I bet he's never felt the pain of losing someone he loved." She sat Tabitha back on the chair to finish her cake, "He was obviously after something."

Her mother shook her head, "I don't think so. He said he was with Liam when he... when he was killed."

Mackenzie snorted derisively wanting to think the worst and put Sean Parkes out of her mind, "That's a lie for certain. I bet he was miles away when it happened."

"I'm not so sure." Looking at her daughter dubiously Christine finished, making her way back behind the counter when a customer came in, interrupting their conversation.

Sitting down with Tabitha, Mackenzie accepted the coffee her mother brought across to her a few minutes later, although neither of them attempted to resume the somewhat heated discussion they had been having earlier.

"Can you have Tabs Friday night mum? I have a meeting with the CEO in the evening." She asked hesitantly after a few minutes.

Christine frowned, "You know I will but I don't trust that man. You need to be careful around him."

'Me neither.'

'What would you say if you knew I slept with him to get this job?'

Mackenzie had never told her mother what she had done to get the position as HR manager and she was determined that it would stay that way. Nor did the younger woman tell her that she felt exactly the same way as her about Charles Marwell.

"It's just a business meeting mum. Probably all about my new job, just to go over my first week or something."

"Yes but why does it have to be on a Friday evening?" Her mother questioned, clearly suspicious.

She shrugged, knowing exactly why he wanted to see her during the evening and not at work.

"Probably because he has a lot of other things to do. I don't really know."

Even as she said it she felt certain that her boss was going to try to pressure her in to sleeping with him again.

Waiting as her mother finished cleaning up before closing the café she considered her appointment with the odious Charles Marwell.

'What would he do when she refused to have sex with him?'

'Would she actually say no when it came to it?'

"I need to lock up now." Christine interrupted her daughter's reflections and scooped up Tabitha, kissing her granddaughter.

"Right, I'm all done as well. Let's go Tabs." Putting down her empty cup she got to her feet.

Passing the child to her mother when they left the coffee shop Christine said her goodbyes, before the pair went off in opposite directions.

Throughout the journey back to her flat Mackenzie struggled to get the soldier out of her mind.

'What was it about him?'

'What did her mother say his name was?'

Being unable to put her finger on it annoyed her. His brown eyes had seemed to bore into her and the feelings he had aroused in her with just a look had shocked her.

'No, it couldn't be him... could it?'

Convincing herself he wasn't the boy who had taken her virginity all those years before she tried to recall what her mother had called him.

'Sean, Sergeant Sean Parkes.'

That was it.

Just the thought of his name sent a warm feeling through her.

"Mummy who was that man with Nana?" A small voice beside her asked, "He was like uncle Liam."

"No one special sweetheart... no one special." Mackenzie told her daughter unable to shake off the feeling that she was very wrong.

Getting home she spent the early part of her evening making dinner for herself and Tabitha and then, after bathing her daughter, she tucked her up in bed before settling on the sofa with a glass of wine.

She had a lot to think about after her first day in her new job and her brief but disturbing interaction with her boss.

However, her thoughts were still dominated by Sean Parkes.

Her rant at him had been both illogical and rude, two things she wasn't, and now she regretted what she had said.

It didn't mean she had changed her mind, she hadn't. She still didn't believe he had been with Liam and she was certain he was after something. Although for the life of her she had no idea what it could be.

What really disturbed her though was the reaction she had had to him.

None of her previous sexual experiences, bar one, had filled her with anything but a loathing for the male species. She had turned down numerous offers to go on a date over the years, always citing Tabitha as the reason, when really it was her.

'What was it about Sean Parkes that was different.'

'Just being around him had aroused her.'

'It was stupid. Even if she had fancied him before she wouldn't now. He was a Marine after all.'

'But those eyes. Were they the same eyes that she had fallen for all those years ago?'

'No that wasn't possible. Was it?'

There had been something though, something she hadn't felt in a very long time. Not that it mattered now, he was gone, disappearing back under the rock he had crawled out from.

She was better off alone with Tabitha.

Swallowing the last of her drink she poured herself another and then fished out her laptop, booting it up so she could carry on working.

Unable to channel her thoughts to work she hadn't done much and was reading an e-mail for the third time when a knock on her front door startled her. Not expecting anyone she was puzzled as to who it could be and put her computer aside to get up off the sofa.

Opening the door, she found Belinda Foulkes standing outside, a big smile on her face.

"Hey Kenz. I wanted to come round to see how your first day went? Thought we could celebrate or commiserate with a glass of wine."