Coming of Age

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's none of your business."

Sandy tried to keep from blowing a gasket.

"None of my business? You were there in a company vehicle on company time. Did you want me to call your father into this conversation?"

The hot water was still running. It was threatening to overflow the sink. Sandy finally noticed and pulled the drain plug. She kept the water running so Ted wouldn't be able to hear from the living room.

Defensiveness turned back to panic. Dragging Ted into this conversation was the absolute last thing she wanted to have happen.

"No . . . no. Please don't tell Dad."

Sandy had her daughter cornered. "What is it you don't want me to tell Ted?"

Her mother was going to find out sooner or later. She wished it hadn't happened this way.

"I'm seeing Lena Peters."

Even though she expected those words, hearing them out loud was still a mind numbing admission. Sandy was determined to claw the rest of the information out of Kaylee, come hell or high water.

"What do you mean by 'seeing her'," she asked. It pained her to ask the next question. "Are you having sex?"

It made Kaylee's stomach turn to hear her mother's question. She made it sound so dirty, so sordid, when it was one of the most beautiful moments of her young life.

"We weren't having sex, we were making love," Kaylee said.

"So you're in love with her?" Sandy asked.

Sandy didn't know she'd hit Kaylee's soft spot. Was she in love? She and Lena never concluded that conversation.

"I don't know . . . maybe . . . but it's more than just sex. How come you haven't asked me if I'm happy, or don't you care?" Kaylee asked, putting her mother on the defensive.

"I do care. But can you see what you're doing? What is Mrs. Peters . ."

"Her name is Lena."

"What is Lena . . . forty?"

"Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?"

"She's twice your age. Did she seduce you?"

That question made Kaylee's blood boil.

"Absolutely not," Kaylee said angrily. "If anything, it was the other way around."

"Are you girls OK?" Ted shouted from the living room. Kaylee's last outburst drowned out the announcers on the television.

"We're fine Ted," Sandy said. "Go back and watch your football."

"Kaylee. I can't believe this is happening. Did your friends at college convince you that you were gay? I knew going to Berkeley was a mistake."

Kaylee had no idea how to reel this conversation in. "First Mom, no one convinces you that you're gay. Truthfully? I had an idea in high school."

"Like what?"

"Like everything. Soccer practice, swim practice, everything. I felt an attraction to women but I never said anything. God forbid someone in Cincinnati is gay. It's not wrong and I don't apologize for it."

Sandy wanted to call a timeout, take a hot bath and have a big glass of white wine, maybe a bottle. But their conversation wasn't done. Sandy decided her approach was wrong. She tried something another tact. Understanding.

"I'm not asking you to apologize. You are who you are and we'll love you as much as ever. But Kaylee, sneaking around, lying to us, lying to Carlton. That's not acceptable and it tells me that you think what you're doing is wrong."

Kaylee shut off the water.

"Let's go in my bedroom and continue this conversation."

They walked down the hallway in silence. Sandy followed Kaylee in and shut the door behind them. Kaylee sat on the window seat and Sandy sat on the bed.

"I'll admit I didn't handle this the right way. It just happened. I wasn't looking for it. I'm sorry if I deceived you and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. But this is good Mom, it really is. Lena's a wonderful person. And she helped me sort out what I was feeling about myself. I feel good about myself for the first time in a long time."

Sandy was at a crossroads. She realized she wasn't going to change her daughter's sexual orientation. She could either accept Kaylee as she was or ask her to leave the house. The latter was not considered.

"I'm sorry Kaylee. I thought you liked boys. That's what you told me. Now you're telling me something different. I'm trying." Sandy felt like crying, but that wouldn't show emotional support for her daughter.

Kaylee could see that her mother's posture was softening. Hers did as well.

"I was a teenager. I was confused, like all teenagers are. I knew what was expected of me and you know I want to please people, including you and Dad. I said and did what I thought I should, but never questioned whether it was really me. I think going away to school helped me think about it more clearly, and being with Lena really cemented my feelings. I hope you understand."

Sandy struggled to understand. She still couldn't get past the fact that her daughter was a lesbian. And what would their friends and neighbors say?

"Are you serious about this Lena woman?"

"I think I am. I've told you Mom, she's an extraordinary person. She's beautiful, intelligent, and manages the Cincinnati office of a large international investment bank."

"Am I supposed to be impressed?"

"I am. But you don't know her."

"Where's this going Kaylee? You'll be going back to college in two months. Are you going to quit school? Is she going to move to California to be with you?"

"We haven't thought that far. I think we've decided we want to see more of each other."

Sandy was mentally exhausted. She went over to her daughter and held her hand.

"Honey, I have to go to bed. I'm tired and you've given me a lot to think about."

"Are you going to tell Dad?"

"I don't think so, but I'm not going to promise anything. I want to sort this out in my own mind, so it's probably best not to tell him yet. OK?"

Kaylee got up and hugged her mother.

"I appreciate you trying to understand."

* * *

Kaylee readied herself for bed, avoiding her father, but sleep was the last thing on her mind.

Carlton, Lena, her mother and father, college . . . how would the puzzle pieces fit together? Was she trying to force Lena into a place where she didn't belong?

Sarah . . . Sarah would understand.

Kaylee called her best friend.

"Kaylee, it's late," Sarah said sleepily. Kaylee had been tossing and turning in bed. She never bothered to check the time. It was almost midnight.

"I'm so sorry," said Kaylee. "Did you want to go back to bed?"

"No," said Sarah, switching on the lamp on her nightstand. "I'm awake now and this must be important. What's going on?"

"My Mom knows."

"About Lena?"

"Uh huh."

"Shit."

"Yeah. So what happened?"

Kaylee explained about Carlton telling her mother and then her mother's grand inquisition. She recounted all of the details of the conversation she had with Sandy, leaving nothing out.

"Wow. That's heavy. So are you in love with Lena?"

It always comes back to that, Kaylee thought. "I'm still trying to figure that out."

"I guess you're going to have to figure that out soon."

"I have a lot of things to figure out," said Kaylee. "I'm still processing the fact that you're gay."

Sarah sniffled. She wished it was her that Kaylee was in love with. "What's your mom going to do?"

"I don't know. She wants to understand but she's having a hard time wrapping her head around all of this."

"And your dad?"

"Ted doesn't know anything. But that may change soon. My Mom might tell him."

"God Kaylee, what a mess."

Sarah was thinking about her own parents, and how she would tell them. With Kaylee outed by Sandy, she needed to rethink her strategy. Sarah's mother would likely soon know about Kaylee.

"I know. That's why I called you."

The two young women went back and forth for another hour, ruminating over their futures, and wondering how they'd both get past all of this.

Chapter Seven

Picking Up The Pieces

Kaylee showed up a half hour early to work. She knew she'd see Carlton, and wanted the extra time to apologize and explain. Their friendship meant a lot, and she knew she hadn't been a good friend recently.

Carlton was loading her truck when she showed up.

"Hey Kaylee," he said, though there was no enthusiasm in his voice.

"Carlton, I owe you an apology."

He stopped what he was doing and looked at the young blonde.

"For what?"

"For generally being a jerk. For lying to you."

"Is that right?" Kaylee's sincerity cut through his residual anger.

"I lied to you about Lena Peters and why I was there. I'm seeing her."

Carlton blinked his eyes. Was this true? He certainly suspected, but to hear it from her lips.

"Seeing her, like she's your girlfriend?"

"That's right," said Kaylee, confirming his worst fears. All this time he'd had a crush on someone with absolutely no hope of success.

"You're . . . you're . . .". Carlton stumbled.

"Gay," said Kaylee.

"Yeah that."

"I think I am," said Kaylee.

"Wow."

It wasn't as horrible as she thought. There was the initial shock, but that was over soon.

"I'd appreciate it if we could keep this between ourselves, at least for now. Dad doesn't know."

"Sure," said Carlton, trying to regain his footing.

"Friends?" Kaylee asked, extending her hand.

"Always," said Carlton. She'd always be a good friend, just not his girlfriend. It was better to be magnanimous, not bitter.

* * *

Kaylee got into her truck to cover her route, and called Lena on the way.

"Fancy you calling this bright and early," said Lena, who was still enjoying her coffee in her kitchen.

"My Mom found out last night. I told her."

"She did? How?"

Kaylee replayed the same conversation she had with Sarah.

Lena took a deep breath. "Well, I guess it's all out in the open."

"Except for my dad," Kaylee said.

"That's true. I've been giving a lot of thought to what we talked about yesterday."

"And?" Kaylee asked, with bated breath.

"I do love you Kaylee. I know it's been a short time, but it's something I feel in my heart. I'm sure."

"Oh," said Kaylee. Too much happening too quickly. She felt as if she couldn't breathe.

"You're disappointed?" Lena asked after Kaylee's tepid reaction.

"No . . . no . . . not at all. It's like drinking from a fire hose. I feel like I'm two steps behind."

"I'm not expecting you to tell me one way or another. I don't want to pressure you. But I'm certain and I thought you'd like to hear that."

"Of course I do. Lena, you're the best thing that's happened to me in a long, long time."

"Well, I'm here and I'm not seeing anyone else. If you want to see me, I'll be here."

"OK," said Kaylee. She thought it would be a boring summer but it was anything but that.

* * *

That evening after a quiet dinner (and avoiding any conversation with her mother) Kaylee went to her room to reflect. She picked up her stuffed bear and looked into his unblinking eyes.

"What am I going to do?" she asked him. As always, he was mute, but her memories of him as her constant companion when she was a little girl brought about a smile of happier times when life wasn't so complicated.

The next step suddenly appeared obvious. She called Lena.

"How are you Kaylee?" Lena asked when she answered the call.

"I'm fine, and I have an idea."

"What's that?"

"Let's go out on a date."

Lena wondered why she hadn't thought of it herself. She was a quick judge of character, but Kaylee was new to all of this.

"Of course," said Lena. "Any ideas?"

"Do you like art? I was hoping to visit the Taft this summer. Maybe a visit there and then dinner after?"

Lena was an art history major at the University of Cincinnati. It just so happened she was a major contributor to the Taft Museum.

"Sure. Why don't I arrange a private tour. What day works for you?"

"How about this coming Friday? I can take a half day off."

Lena checked her phone. She had a meeting and two conference calls that afternoon.

"Sure, Friday works great. Let me figure out the details."

"It's a date," said Kaylee, excited. She hung up the phone.

Lena called Grace right after that.

"Grace? Lena. Clear my calendar on Friday afternoon."

"Something important?" Grace asked. "You've got an investor conference call at 3 that can't be moved."

"I've got a date with Kaylee. Can you get Michael to handle this?"

"Let me check with him and I'll get back to you."

"OK, just make it happen. And one more thing? Can you call my contact at the Taft and set up a private tour for the late afternoon, after the museum is closed?"

"Of course," said Grace. "Kaylee huh? Are you two getting serious?"

Grace had seen Lena do a lot of crazy things, but dating someone who was barely out of high school was a new one.

"She asked me out on a date."

Grace chuckled. "That's refreshing, a college student asking out a multi-millionaire investment banker."

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

"Roger that," said Grace.

* * *

Even though superficially Ted was an clueless guy, he wasn't, and noticed his wife was definitely sexier in his eyes. They were getting ready for bed, and Sandy was wearing a negligee he'd bought her for Valentine's Day. It was practically see though, and her big breasts looked absolutely ravishing under the black, sheer material. It was a Tuesday, and they had just had sex the previous Saturday.

"You look great, Sandy," Ted said to her as they slipped under the covers. It was only 9 p.m. They usually watched a British murder mystery and went to bed after 10.

"Shut up Ted," she said to him. Before he could protest she shoved her hand inside his pajama bottoms and gripped his cock. It hardened quickly in her hand.

"Sandy . . ."

Her voice was softer, but still firm. "Quiet Ted. I need this," she said.

As soon as he was hard, she pulled his pajama bottoms to his knees and sucked his cock all the way to the base. Ted usually had to coax her to give him a blowjob. She was deepthroating him.

"Jesus . . " he started to say.

She felt that familiar twitch. She stopped before he could come. He groaned when she pulled off. She hiked up her negligee and sat on his rock hard cock, rocking on his waist with him fully inside her. Ted hadn't had this kind of experience with Sandy since they dated in college. His head ached as the pressure in his cock became almost unbearable. Then he came, thrusting his hips upward as her pussy tightened around him, prolonging both of their orgasms. Sandy rolled off panting.

"My God, what got into you?" Ted asked as soon as he was able to catch his breath.

"I needed that Ted," his wife said, glowing.

"What is it?" Ted asked.

"Let's just enjoy the moment," she said, laying back with her head on her folded arms.

* * *

The next morning when they woke up, Ted and Sandy were in the bathroom brushing their teeth.

"OK, what is it?" Ted asked. "That fantastic sex bought you an eight hour reprieve, but now your time's up."

Sandy spit into the sink. "Our daughter's gay."

Ted put his toothbrush down. "What?"

"You heard me."

"Ohh Kayyyy," Ted said, drawing out the word. "How did you come about that piece of shocking news?"

"She told me."

"Just like that?" Ted asked.

Sandy explained her conversation with Carlton and then how she coaxed the confession out of Kaylee.

"She's forty?" Ted asked, his head spinning. He was wondering if he was still asleep.

"That's what she tells me."

"What am I going to say to her?" Ted asked.

"Maybe nothing. Tell her you need more time. I debated not telling you but then I thought it would be unfair to you. You were going to find out eventually anyway. It would have been awkward with you not knowing. Maybe Kaylee will be mad at me for telling you, and maybe I should have let her tell you herself, but I just couldn't keep it in anymore."

"And the sex was a way to soften the blow, so to speak."

Sandy laughed. "At least you're keeping your sense of humor. I was pretty mad at Kaylee and I think I owe her an apology. No, Ted, the sex wasn't for that. I just need it to get my mind off all of that. I felt like we were still in college."

"We used to fuck every night, sometimes more than once," Ted said wistfully.

"Don't get any ideas big guy," Sandy said, making it clear this was a one-time only opportunity.

"I liked your idea," said Ted.

"About what?" Sandy asked, thinking that Ted was still thinking about sex.

"To tell her that I know and that I'm sorting out my feelings on it," Ted said.

"I think it's the way to go." Sandy pinched her husband's bottom and left the bathroom before he could grab her.

* * *

Sandy was frying bacon and trying to keep to herself, knowing her husband would be seeing her daughter momentarily. Ted was at the breakfast table drinking his coffee and reading the news off his phone. Kaylee bounded in, refreshed. Her upcoming date with Lena had her still floating on air, and Sandy seemed accepting of the news.

"Hey Kiki," Ted said, taking his eyes off his phone.

"Hey Dad," Kaylee said, pouring herself a cup of coffee.

"I know," said Ted.

Kaylee stopped her pouring.

"You know what?"

Sandy turned the fan over the stove off so she could hear the rest of the conversation.

"I know you're gay."

"So Mom told you."

"Uh huh."

"She said she wasn't going to tell you," said Kaylee, not accurately repeating what Sandy had promised.

"Aren't you glad that I know?"

Kaylee noticed Ted wasn't mad.

"Sure?" she answered, not quite sure what to make of her father's reaction.

"You should be. This isn't the sort of thing that we keep to ourselves. I was asking your mom about what you were up to and she gave me an earful. Can we go out back and talk about it?"

They went out to the backyard where Kaylee and Chad spent many hours playing on the swing set and in the sandbox. Ted sat in one swing while Kaylee sat in the other.

"So what's up with Lena Peters?" Ted asked in a calm voice, dragging his shoes in the dirt.

"I'm sure Mom told you that I'm seeing her," Kaylee said, sounding a bit impatient having already had this discussion multiple times.

"You know she's . . ." Ted started to say.

"A client. I know Dad. I know it's wrong. I'm sorry. What more can I say?" Kaylee said, sounding exasperated.

Ted sensed the conversation could quickly spin out of control. "Easy now. I'm not here to accuse you of anything. I just want to understand what my daughter is up to."

Kaylee tried to calm down. "It just happened. I'm not sure why."

Ted pushed off so he moved a few feet back and forth. "Are you sure this is what you want?"

"I think so. I set up a date with her on Friday night."

Ted tried to stay on an even keel, but the deeper they got into the conversation the harder it was.

"Your mom said she's forty, is that right?"

"I don't need a lecture on this. Yes, she's forty and yes she's twice my age."

"Please Kaylee, I'm not judging you. I'm just asking you questions."

Kaylee sniffled and wiped back a tear. "You're always judging me. Please don't patronize me."

Ted felt like he was in quicksand, much like his arguments with his wife. He threw up his hands.

"Fine. I was just trying to understand but clearly you don't want to talk about it."

"Not any more. I'm sorry I've taken up your valuable time."

Ted went away, smarting and confused.

* * *

It was a busy day with a full schedule for Kaylee. Her conversation with her father nagged at her all day. He had been nothing but supportive, and the young blonde had given him a hard time when he was trying to understand what was going on in her life. To her credit, she showed maturity in snagging her father the moment she brought her truck back to the office. Ted was taking inventory in the garage when she arrived.

"Kiki . . ." Ted started to say. He too had that day to reflect on their stilted conversation. He knew that Kaylee was going to be defensive when he broached the topic, and also realized that Kaylee felt as if her mother betrayed her confidence. But his daughter cut him off before he could apologize.

1...345678