Commercial Sales Ch. 07

Story Info
Mark Learns of Kate's Past.
3.9k words
4.09
8.1k
16

Part 7 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 05/12/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The following week, Kate approached Mikki about the idea she started working on after her tour with Tommy. She showed the map to Mikki. "Mikki, here, a few blocks away from the condo building. There are three identical buildings, the same size, shape and square footage as my building...all side-by-side," she pointed to the location on the map. "What's the story on these?"

"Those are for sale. Someone is trying to buy them, but they've run into some problems getting the sale through," Mikki answered. "Why?"

"Do you know what they plan to do with them if they buy those buildings?" Kate asked.

"Not really, probably tear them down...they're at least a hundred years old or so," Mikki replied.

Kate thought for a minute. "Mikki, those buildings are identical to my building. Has Jay considered not selling them? You know, also turning them into condos or apartments; renovating them just like we're doing on my project?" she asked.

"I don't know, but why would we want to do that?" Mikki asked.

"You know the city is growing. The city has plans to make that a very nice part of town. There are already plans for an open-air mall of sorts near there. Think of it, Mikki. Who wouldn't want to be within walking distance of shops, restaurants, bars...not too far of a drive to the airport...the hospitals; ya know?" she proposed. "That's a single's paradise. Instead of two or three bedrooms, increase the number of units making them studio, one and two bedrooms," Kate influenced.

Mikki sat back in her chair. "Have you run any numbers on this?" she asked.

"Sort of, but I don't have all the information. I mentioned it to Tommy the other day and he said it was a good idea, but because those buildings are pending sale, he really didn't give it much more thought," she replied.

"Okay, suppose we don't sell them?" Mikki asked, leaning forward, putting her chin in her hand.

"The possibilities are endless...condos, apartments, shops. C'mon, Mikki, we put a man on the moon using slide rulers over fifty years ago. It can't be that difficult to make money here," Kate asserted gently.

Mikki looked at Kate for a second. "Hey, girl, not to get off topic, but your degree from Tech is in Marketing, right?"

"Yeah," Kate asked.

"What was your minor?" Mikki continued.

"Physics, heavy on math...why?" Kate asked.

Mikki thought silently. "GPA?" she asked.

Kate sighed. "I didn't do as well as I wanted; three point nine one," Kate softly said with a touch of embarrassment.

Mikki sat back in her chair. "You're shitting me, girlfriend; seriously?"

"Yeah, I know...I should have done better," Kate replied, her eyes cast upon the table with a fair amount of self-imposed shame.

Mikki started quietly laughing, looking at Kate in wonder. "You're a trip, Kate."

"What? I didn't do as well as I wanted," she responded.

"Kate; seriously? A three-nine-one out of four, right?"

"Yeah," Kate replied with a smirk of discontent.

Mikki stared at Kate realizing there was no point pursuing Kate's under-estimated academic achievement. Mikki shook her head in amazement, then returned to the conversation.

"Okay; let me ask Jay what he thinks. Can it wait until tonight, after he gets home?" she asked.

"Sure, that's fine," Kate replied.

"Hey, Kate," Mikki paused "Please understand, Jay won't just turn off the switch on a sale, just because there are some problems. This may take a few days or even weeks, okay?" Mikki advised.

Kate nodded. She was happy for now that Mikki was going to get Jay's attention on her idea. The good news was, if there's trouble with the sale, nothing will happen to those buildings until a decision is made.

The days stretched on as Kate worked hand-in-hand with Mikki, tapping Tommy for input and advice, as needed. Her idea for the three buildings stalled, as the problems involving the sale stagnated for another few weeks. She learned that sometimes, nothing moves as quickly as needed in commercial real estate.

By mid-November, two independent soil tests did find small traces of chemicals in Section Five. The city had no records indicating chemicals were produced on the site, however, any records the city did store, were likely destroyed during the 1986 annex fire. After they learned about the fire possibly destroying records, one of Jay's team members went to the local paper and found several articles covering the plant's activities making insecticides during the war and pesticides afterwards.

Jay praised Kate's intuition and valuable insight. The city agreed to cover the small costs involved in toxic removal or abatement at the site, if needed. Jay and the city representatives chalked it up as an honest mistake, given the many decades that had passed since chemicals were present, combined with the fire. Further environmental tests concluded there was no danger and plans for the school proceeded.

With the holidays approaching, the project started slowing down, however, the demand for houses did not, as the growth of the city didn't take a break for holidays. Kate spent more time at home and at her agency's office focusing on residential sales.

Mark and Kate attended Jay's annual holiday party where Mark met Jay and Mikki for the first time. Mark and Jay hit it off as Jay found Mark's job with the hotel chain interesting; given Jay was into real estate and leasing. They also talked about golf and football. Jay was also an avid golfer and had a few business and personal connections within the NFL.

Kate and Mikki had grown closer to each other. There was no doubt Kate felt a deep connection with Mikki, but she still loved Mark very much. She still struggled with telling Mark about Mikki; about her bisexuality...a point of contention for Mikki. Mikki implored Kate to be honest with Mark. Mikki again cautioned her, if Mark discovered their affair, it might be more damaging than if Kate opened-up to Mark. Kate took her chances as time went on.

A week after Jay's company party, Mark threw some laundry into the wash. He found Kate on the treadmill. Mark held one of Kate's sweatshirts in his hand. Kate smiled at him as she jogged.

"Stop," Mark told her.

She took out her ear pods and looked at him.

"I said stop, Kate," Mark said with conviction.

Kate came to a stop with a puzzled look on her face.

Mark held up her sweatshirt. "Explain this, please," he instructed.

"What? Explain what, Mark?" she asked in confusion.

Mark tossed the sweatshirt at her face. "Why does this smell like chlorine?" he asked with concern.

The sweatshirt bounced off her face, onto the treadmill. "I don't know, Mark," she replied.

"Jay has a pool, right?" he asked.

"Yeah", Kate responded.

Mark paused, staring at her. "This is like the third time I've smelled chlorine on your clothes and not ONCE have I seen your bathing suit in the wash. What the fuck's going on?" He asked in a raised voice.

Kate knew Mark was highly upset as he rarely used the f-bomb; especially at her. She could have easily explained that her and Mikki are the same size and she wore one of Mikki's suits, but in a split second, she didn't want to go there.

"Mark, settle down, oh my God," she said nervously taking her towel from the hand rail and dabbing her face, standing on the machine.

Mark stared longer; silently. His stare turned into a menacing glare.

"Mark, really; please what's..." she tried to explain.

"I don't make enough money?" he interrupted. "You don't love me anymore? Do you fuck him in his pool or after you get out?" Mark asked, his anger rising with each question.

At that instant, Kate realized Mark assumed she was sleeping with Jay. While the gravity of the situation was indeed seriously perilous, Kate tried desperately to hide the growing concern on her face that Mark had totally missed with his assumption.

"What the FUCK, Kate! You're sleeping with your fuck'n boss, aren't you!" Mark accused, his voice near screaming.

Kate realized this was going downhill at the speed of a bullet. "No, Mark...no! Please, stop!" she tried to keep calm, stepping off the treadmill and grabbing Mark on both arms, looking deeply into his eyes, pushing him back a few steps. "Please, I'm not cheating on you with Jay. I promise, Mark...please, baby...please, trust me...please," she tried to kiss Mark but he pulled back.

Mark glared at her, trying to calm down; trying to assess her sincerity. Kate could only stare back at him. Silence filled the room.

Quietly, Mark opened up. "Something's going on, Kate. Almost as soon as you started working for Jay, I could tell you were a little different. You need to be honest with me starting right...fucking...now!" Jay said sternly, trying to keep a civil tone.

Kate's mind flooded with Mikki's warnings about Mark finding out. Kate knew this was the moment she had to put everything on the line with Mark. Kate sighed deeply and loudly, knowing the jig was up. She pointed to the living room where they could sit on the sofa.

Kate sat on the couch with Mark to her right. She tried to speak, then put her face in her hands and started to sob.

"I fuck'n knew it," Mark huffed. "Do you love him?" Mark asked with pain in his eyes.

Mark stared; Kate sobbed.

"You fucking BITCH! Answer ME!" Mark screamed.

"MARK!" Kate screamed back, slapping the tops of her thighs, looking at him; tears streaming.

They stared at each other; silence exploded inside the room. No words, no movement; only Kate's tears moved and her sobbing replaced words.

Finally, Kate spoke. "Mark, I love you more..."

"Oh sure, that's why you're fucking Jay Patterson, right?" he interrupted, throwing up his hands in disgust.

"Mark! Stop!" she countered loudly, pausing as her nose ran, making her sniffle. Her red, puffy eyes stared at her husband. Finally, the truth left her mouth. "It's not Jay, Mark. It's Mikki," she faintly sighed. A part of her felt relief and another part of her felt the pain of betraying her husband. The man with whom until only two and a half months earlier, she had never lied, but was never one hundred percent truthful of her past.

Mark looked at her as if he'd just witnessed a murder. His mouth opened somewhat, slightly shaking his head...disbelief covered his face. Kate staring at him, not wanting to tell him anything until he asked.

"What?" Mark asked quietly, trying to comprehend her words.

Kate sighed deeply. "Mark, I love you so much. I've wanted to tell you, but never could find the right time," she confessed and repeated herself; "Mark, I'm not sleeping with Jay; I've been with Mikki."

Mark sat in doubt; bewilderment. "You're gay? You're leaving me?" Mark asked, barely audible.

Kate breathed deeply, "Oh, God; no, Mark. I'm not leaving you. I'm not gay. I love you, Mark..." she started.

"Then what? What the fuck's going on?" he interrupted.

Kate sighed loudly and deeply. "Mark, I'm bi," she confessed softly as silenced filled the room again. "I think I've known since high school, but never acted upon it until college," she confessed softly, wiping her tears. Mark stared blankly at her. "For what it's worth, I've never been with a woman during our marriage until I met Mikki back in September," she sighed deeply, again wiping her face.

Mark was stunned. He stared at Kate, then his eyes slowly left hers. Kate watched as he tried to comprehend Kate's confession. She went to the kitchen counter and grabbed the box of tissues and sat back down, blowing her nose. Mark now sat silently with a distant stare.

Eventually, he spoke, "Do you..." he started.

"No, Mark, I don't love her and she doesn't love me. I love you. I love only you. You're my husband. I married you for a reason and those reasons are still strong in my heart," Kate softly confided, starting to tear-up again. "I'm sorry. I've tried to fight it for so many years. This is who I am. I never meant to hurt you. I don't want to lose you. I don't want to leave you. I love you more than you can imagine; I swear, Mark," she sighed softly, a tear fell; then another.

"I...I don't understand," Mark quietly said. "Am I not good...sex with me isn't good?" he asked.

"Oh, God...Mark, no...that has nothing to do with me liking Mikki. I don't think I can explain it, but Mikki has nothing to do with you or anything you do or...or don't do," she told him. "Mark you're a great lover. I feel safe with you. I feel loved when we have sex. I don't know if I'll ever be able to compare being with a woman to being with you," she commented softly, as more tears fell.

Mark sat quietly, looking at the floor. Kate sat looking at him with her hands in her lap, holding a tissue; teary-eyed. Eventually, Mark asked some more questions, trying to understand her past; Kate's activities with Mikki. Kate tried to answer his questions as honestly and easily as she could. They sat on the couch for more than a half hour, although nearly half of the time was in silence as Mark tried to grasp the truth about Kate's past, her sexual desires for Mikki...everything.

"I don't know if I can handle this, Kate," he told her, looking from the floor to her eyes.

Kate braced herself as another tear fell.

"I need time. I'm going for a drive," he quietly said.

"Mark," she softly said. "I love you more than anything. I know...I know I've hurt you and it's my fault. I should have told you about my sexuality when we first met...but I...I thought I could bury it; I'm so sorry," she confessed as she softly wept.

"No, Kate; you're only sorry because you've been caught," he softly rebuked as he stood.

"No, Mark, no...that's not it at all," Kate pleaded.

"Then why did you hide it? Why? I've known you now for nearly eleven years. I find out today you like women? C'mon, Kate...what the fuck?" he sternly reprimanded in a soft tone.

Kate stood; tears flowing again, trying to look Mark in the eyes.

"I'm outta here," Mark said before Kate quickly grabbed him.

"No! Where are you going? Please, Mark...don't leave me. Don't leave "us". I love you; I swear I do," Kate cried, hugging him tightly in an attempt to keep him in the house.

"Kate! Let me go. I need to go. I just need to get the fuck out of here right now," he told her, shrugging her to let go.

Kate knew she couldn't keep him there. She knew this was a huge blow to Mark. She breathed deeply, slowly releasing him, trying to look up to his eyes. Mark avoided her gaze and went into the bedroom to retrieve his wallet, watch, phone and shoes. Kate followed, silently watching him gather his things to leave; tears falling.

"Where are you going? Will you be back later?" Kate asked through her puffy eyes.

"I don't know," he said as he softly pushed her out of the bedroom doorway, heading towards the kitchen. She followed him, standing in the door to the garage as he opened the garage door to back out. Kate watched, silently crying. Mark backed out of the garage, then drove away, not closing the garage door. She pressed the button, closing the garage door, then slid down the door jamb to her butt, sobbing uncontrollably.

Kate cried in the garage for at least fifteen minutes, pondering her future with Mark...her future with Mikki. Would either be in her life next year? Eventually, she stood and found her phone on the treadmill; where she'd left it before her perfect world imploded.

She texted Mikki, asking if she was too busy for a call. Within a few seconds, Kate's phone rang. Kate answered with a half-hearted, "Hey".

"Hey, girlfriend, what's going on?" Mikki chimed.

Kate couldn't speak.

"Kate, you there, girl?" Mikki asked.

Soon enough, Kate took a deep breath as she sobbed, still unable to speak.

"Kate! What's wrong?" Mikki panicked. "Talk to me, girl. It's okay, I'm here for you," she desperately added.

Kate gathered enough composure to speak through her tears. "Um, Mark...he knows," she took a deep breath. "He just left...he...he wouldn't tell me where he's going or if he'll be back," Kate began to cry uncontrollably.

"Dammit! Kate; where are you?" Mikki asked, waiting for an answer. "Kate! Dammit, answer me, please?" Mikki exhorted with deep concern.

Kate could barely speak; crying and sniffling into her phone.

"Are you at home, girl?" Mikki asked.

"Yeah," she softly admitted through her tears.

Mikki looked at Jay, letting him know what was going on with Kate.

"She can barely speak. She's a mess, Jay," she answered.

"Mikki," Jay said. "Let her talk, don't solve her problems for her. She's a smart girl," he cautioned. "She'll get through this, somehow...some way."

"Kate, I'm going to stay on the phone. When you're ready to talk; talk. Okay?" Mikki advised.

The phone was silent for over a minute other than Kate's emotional conditions. "Mikki, I...I need to go. I have a lot to think about. I'll be fine," Kate quietly confided. Then continued, "You warned me, Mikki. I should have listened. I should have come clean with Mark back in September," she sighed.

"Kate, there's no way to know if he would have taken it better at that time than he did today," she comforted. "You can't put toothpaste back in the tube. This will have to run its course, girl," Mikki told Kate.

"Yeah, well...the rest of my life is waiting for me," Kate softly confided. "I need to text Mark. I don't know where he is," she said.

"No, Kate. He has a lot on his mind right now. Give him space. If he's not home by ten, then call him; don't text. Show him your love for him is undeniable...okay, girl?" Mikki quietly advised.

Again, Kate found Mikki's words full of wisdom. Kate pursed her lips as a tear fell. "Yeah, okay," she whispered.

"I'll have my phone on all night, girl. Call if I can help," Mikki said before hanging up.

Kate broke down again after calling Mikki. The house was quiet and lonely. Her pain was unbearable. She hurt the love of her life. She crushed the man of her dreams; her best friend. Kate sat on the couch, knees up, feet on the edge of the cushion. Wrapping her arms around her legs, she buried her head in her knees; weeping. She looked at the clock; only five fifteen. She still had about five hours to wait to call Mark; if she took Mikki's advice about waiting until ten.

Kate sat on the couch for over an hour. Eventually, she ran out of tears, but her mind was full of fears. The questions tumbled into and through her mind. Was her marriage over? If so, then what? What happens when the project is over? What happens if Mikki moves on?

Kate watched the clock; emotionally battering herself that Mark hadn't returned. She couldn't wait any longer and called Mark's phone shortly after nine-thirty. Her call went straight to voicemail. She left a message telling him how much she loved him and wanted him to come home. She texted him several times affirming her love for him. She received no replies.

Kate started texting Mikki, then stopped. This was no longer Mikki's problem; it was hers and hers alone. Kate filled her tub and took a long, hot bath; praying Mark would call, text or walk through the door. Neither happened during her bath, nor as the sun rose the next morning. Kate sat on the couch all night, sleeping occasionally, hoping Mark's return would awaken her.

Around nine o'clock, she heard the garage door open and Mark pull into the garage. She stood in the kitchen waiting for him. As he entered the house, she rushed into him, wrapping her arms around him, crying. Mark stood there, basically motionless while Kate poured her heart, love and soul over him. She didn't ask where he stayed all night. She was glad he was home.

"I love you so much, Mark. I'm so sorry," she said, looking at him; tears flowing down her face.

"I know," Mark said. "Let go of me, Kate...please."

Kate loosened her hold on him, stepping back, still looking at him. "Can we talk?" she asked with pain in her voice.

12