All Comments on 'Condescension'

by Just_Words

Sort by:
  • 109 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Another good story, but the asshole in me would have wanted to find some round about way to let Diane know how much the trust was worth. And never answer or contact her, in any way, going forward.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very nice. The cheating wife is hoist with her own petard.

(I had to google that after I typed it: A phrase from the play Hamlet that has become proverbial. The phrase's meaning is that a bomb-maker is blown ("hoist") off the ground by his own bomb (a "petard" is a small explosive device), and indicates an ironic reversal, or poetic justice.) So I enjoyed a story and then learned something.

tangledweedtangledweedabout 1 year ago

Not quite a story when you can sum it up in a paragraph; Lawyer advises his client to sign the divorce papers his wife had him served with because she obviously didn't realize how rich her husband was. So he did. The end.

sdc97230sdc97230about 1 year ago
Kind of ends on a whimper

Diane and her family finding out how much he was actually worth after the divorce was final and their house of cards collapsed would have been nice.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 1 year ago

Dodged a major bullet there!

5

michaellajonesmichaellajonesabout 1 year ago

Started off ok then fizzled out really quickly.

WargamerWargamerabout 1 year ago

Well the story was good but it sorta went nowhere and ended too quickly

Scores 3/5

servant111servant111about 1 year ago

Boring derivative no action no plotting no angst.

2 stars

AardieAardieabout 1 year ago

Just four stars because she never found out what she gave up.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The bitch, and her family, got theirs...

PowersworderPowersworderabout 1 year ago

An interesting idea for the story, but there's no satisfying payoff at the end.

The wife leaves him because she's materialistic and thinks she's trading up. A story like this practically demands that she then finds out her ex-husband is loaded, and she effectively threw away a winning lottery ticket.

-

Having said that, I don't find people like the husband and his parents particularly likeable or virtuous. He concealed his vast wealth from his wife, and was living the impoverished lifestyle of a middle-income teacher. Penny-pinching misers like him completely miss the point of having wealth. It's there to make your life more comfortable, not just sit in the bank collecting interest.

-

I can guarantee that his wife wouldn't have left him if she knew he had money, and they lived an appropriate lifestyle that his wealth should have provided. His in-laws would have treated him with respect as a peer, and he would've been welcomed into their family with open arms. Instead of living a happy life without stress, he let the in-laws think he was a penniless gold-digging loser, and his wife divorced him because she eventually came to the same conclusion.

Frankly, the wife was better off without him... and this is coming from someone that hates cheaters and loves a good BtB story.

skruff101skruff101about 1 year ago

A simple morality tale for the world we now find ourselves living in, and while I agree with the ideal expressed here, there was something lacking in the execution, the MC had no substance, no colour and the delivery was given in an unwavering monotone cadence.

Not sure I’d want him as a teacher, I imagine the lessons would be awfully dull.

jasonnhjasonnhabout 1 year ago

More like a lecture than a story. Rich snobs vs. quiet living, modest, quietly rich person.

But the quietly rich person was a dope as well. If "the purpose of money is to help us live a fuller life" how was he doing that by totally ignoring all that he had. Parking the money and doing nothing with it is little better than spending it foolishly. Further, he is making no effort to understand how to effectively manage and grow the money. It's like acquiring a new jet plane and letting it sit in a hanger, moldering away to no good purpose.

I will bet his parents, while modest, KNEW how to make and grow money. $50 million didn't just fall out of a tree into their laps. This guy is a dope to think that being a teacher is the entirety of a fulfilling life. He has a responsibility to his family to make good use of a resource that few possess. In his own way, he's pretty small minded.

Bullrider14Bullrider14about 1 year ago

I was liking the story. U had a great buildup about his trust and then nothing happens. The story went flat. I was hoping for more drama.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Just....flat

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

It was good… until you signed off with a variation of “…life is good.”

Maybe it’s just a pet peeve of mine. It’s like the color-by-numbers way of ending stories round here.

kirei8kirei8about 1 year ago

Boring little tale with none of the twists and turns that make LW so popular.

bioman57bioman57about 1 year ago

Well done, short and very sweet.. Still it would have been nice for a bit more infor on her family after the collapse as well as what happened to her...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I would have liked it better if somehow it came out that he had more money than her.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Meh. About as emotionless and boring as it gets. Kind of like reading a newspaper article about a divorce.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Wow. What an emotional rollercoaster. The highs. The lows. Oh my.

I totally don’t want that ten minutes of my life back, I swear. You weaved such a tale for the ages, I mean that sincerely.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 1 year ago

Kind of fizzled out. Would have been good to find out that her trust was heavily invested in her father's businesses, and for her to learn about his trust.

LenardSpencerLenardSpencerabout 1 year ago

Please, if you involve a Trust in the story, at least understand HOW a Trust operates. Assets in a Trust are NOT marital property! The TRUST owns the assets, not the individual. The Trust is an entity unto itself, as if it is a separate legal identity. The beneficiaries may have access to the Trust funds but only if the Trustee allows it, based on the original intentions of the Trust. So, HE cannot get access to HER Trust, nor can SHE get access to HIS Trust.

Plus, if his Trust were to purchase a House, the House would be owned by the Trust, not the individual husband nor wife nor be jointly owned. In the event of Divorce, Trust assets remain with the Trust and are NOT split.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

What a let-down.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 1 year ago

Too much left unsaid. I get he didn't want the exorbitant life but he could be doing good for others with some of that money. Even starting a scholarship fund for some of his students or helping a homeless shelter. He needs to lighten up and find a better woman who might guide him to a philanthropist spirit.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

If the MC didn't tell his wife about the size of his capital, then why did the writer tell us about it? Without her regret and remorse, the story looks empty.

BSreaderBSreaderabout 1 year ago
Interesting

Reading like normal

BigfundrewBigfundrewabout 1 year ago

This could have easily been much more

kelchakelchaabout 1 year ago

Unsatisfying story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Ex needed to find out.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

What actually happened here? Nothing very much it seems. His wife left him for another man and had him served with divorce papers. He went to visit his cousins. He came home. His ex wife didn't come after him for his money. Maybe he had a cup of coffee when he got home? Maybe he had a cheese toastie with it? Who knows? Who cares? This had all the drama of a garden furniture commercial. Readable but not memorable, three stars.

miket0422miket0422about 1 year ago

Zero interaction between husband and wife left this a dry, emotionless and ultimately not very entertaining story.

Pinto931Pinto931about 1 year ago

Short and no emotion or action.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Sounds like a tawdry news story.

muskyboymuskyboyabout 1 year ago

Not a story. No emotions, no remorse, no revenge, nothing. Not even an outline of a story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Meh…Four stars ⭐️ for this one.

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 1 year ago

A short, simple tale. 5*.

LT56linebackerLT56linebackerabout 1 year ago

Love will do that to you. 5 stars, the Bear approves. Could have used a little payback, but a good lawyer was payback enough.

The BEAR

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

As jasonnh pointed out, this was a lecture, not a story.

Where is the conflict, the tension, Evil Punished and Good Rewarded? (Or vice-versa, in the real world!)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

As jasonnh pointed out, this was a lecture, not a story.

Where is the conflict, the tension, Evil Punished and Good Rewarded? (Or vice-versa, in the real world!)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

This story does raise a good question: If the bitch doesn't know that she's been burnt, has she actually been burnt?

Personally, I say no. You made a big deal about how she was going to be hurting after her father's empire collapsed but then you had her continue living off her large trust fund. She still has money and still thinks that he doesn't, so why would she come back for anything? As others have mentioned, there was a bit of a morality tale in there, but it was mostly and incomplete and unsatisfying experience.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A nice little BTB tale !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Not your best. I had 2 big problems with the plot— #1: that he never told his wife about his parents’ Trust he was entitled to. With not even a hist that he was “wary” going into the marriage with Diane, why would this be a natural topic of discussion? #2: the lack any any engagement between him and Diane after she dropped the divorce papers on him. No pre or post divorce conversation. No “chance” or intentional meetup after her fathers empire collapsed. This absence of interaction robbed readers of any catharsis regarding what happened. Sure..he came out of it OK, but as a reader…why would I care?

.

3 ***

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Okay, but a bit emotionless. I (and perhaps others) don't always need nuclear fire, or total reconciliation. But if you're not righting lusty tales (which are not what I read LW for), emotional content is kind fof important.

So while technically well-written, the story falls a little flat. No real angst, no anger, not even good ole' lust. A happy ending I suppose.

UnassignedUnassignedabout 1 year ago

Not a bad story, but one massive plot hole to which LenardSpencer alludes. It really doesn't even matter whether his *inheritance* is in a trust or not - it's his separate property (as is the wife's trust). He could do Scrooge McDuck swan (?) dives into a swimming pool of $100 bills right in front of her, and she still would have no claim to it.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 1 year ago

Hell, id have gone on social media the next day, thanking her for leaving, and her lawyer for protecting his assets. Right out there for everything to see.

DeanofMeanDeanofMeanabout 1 year ago

Nice well put together and a very healthy reaction and just carrying on but, lacks a good burn somehow some way to have her see how she messed up.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A little anti climatic. Not much of a burn if she doesn't realize she screwed up.

26thNC26thNCabout 1 year ago

I enjoyed it. In the military, especially a ROTC commission, and medicine, with the god surgeons and specialists, you ment a lot of condescending assholes. Fortunately, the vast majority of people you encounter are solid, low key, hard working people like our hero. Unlike Parkinson in the story , you just don’t want soldiers or doctors to crash and burn, so you learn to live with them as one of your job’s little irritants.

LickideesplitLickideesplitabout 1 year ago

Sadly, a vital attribute of fiction (and a buncha other types of writing)) is drama (AKA tension!) This offering reduces that attribute* whenever possible!

Turns out Hubby is portrayed as a great guy with all the flavor of watered down artificial vanilla. Maybe if he bred spitting cobras as a hobby!?!

* Don’t believe me. Early on, Hubby tells his mouthpiece what Sweetie told him … probably one paraphrased sentence! Then Sweetie shrugs her shoulder to acknowledge that Her New Suit wanted her to leave. Sweetie is never heard directly by We-The-Readers!

RanDog025RanDog025about 1 year ago

I'm not a single page story fan but with the right character and event such as this well, it was just fine, thank you! 5 BIG ASS FUCKING STARS!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Mixed feelings about this one.

He is the big winner in every way that matters and but she has no clue.

The average traffic ticket is a bigger hassle.

Even his legal fees are cheaper than a week's groceries.

Three stars.

NegateGivityNegateGivityabout 1 year ago

Just Words. An apt description of this story. There was no conflict, no resolution, no soul. Everything was just robotic, without emotions. 'She’s divorcing me, and I'm a millionaire. But I am still humble.' That’s all this was.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuabout 1 year ago

MC was one lucky dude.

KarnevilKarnevilabout 1 year ago

At the end the main character states that "life is not all about the money," but it appears this story is exactly that: all about the money.

A basic tale of two people who, from the very start, distrust each other so much that they dare not reveal their individual wealth. It all ended precisely how I'd expect: all about the money.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

no drama in this story so not sure where it fits - bland is the best i can come up with

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Stopped reading at $50mil. The only thing worse on this site than a ninja navy seal with super powers, is the secret millionaire with tens on millions that secretly lives like the rest of us.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

So how did she "burn herself" if she never knew? Is this a pilot story?

lakefrontlakefrontabout 1 year ago

This is a good first chapter....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

How Not To Write, Volume 111, by Just_Words.

KittyCampbellKittyCampbellabout 1 year ago

It feels so completely unfinished.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Boring. What’s the point of even posting this?

mathur_nkmathur_nkabout 1 year ago
Neither drama nor erotic.

There is no fuck. Neither as a verb nor as a curse. So why it is on literotica?

orion2bear2orion2bear2about 1 year ago

Why bother to write this no story

Rocky62Rocky62about 1 year ago

Kinda overly frugal, at least buy himself a newer vehicle, go on a trip to sunny boob filled beach…. Jeesh

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Another shallow tepid distant marriage, failing due to lack of interest. Good riddance. Maybe the cuck will do a better job of discerning the true nature of future women. Thanks for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

More like Wasted_Words

Opinionated1Opinionated1about 1 year ago

was this a story, or a page taken from a rough draft?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Diane needs to know what she gave up. She needs to know pain. She needs to find out (obviously not from her ex-husband). And she needs to lose, and know she's losing.

But, that's just my inner BTB talking.

Bd4554Bd4554about 1 year ago

Unexpectedly disappointing effort from this author. There’s really nothing here.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

J_W is launching a new product line of treatments for insomnia. This story is one of his prototypes. Remarkably effective, isn't it?

Dunny69Dunny69about 1 year ago

Below comments kinda some up my thoughts.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good story’s ignore the boring oervs who Kotter this website.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Well written as usual from JW - but unfortunately yet another story about two boring people with multi-million trust funds. Doesn't anyone write about ordinary people anymore, or are they even more boring?

ForensicFossilForensicFossilabout 1 year ago

WTF?

Without some explanation of Diane's thinking and emotions, plus some contact from her after dad's smash, the story lacks punch. Well-written as far as it goes, but it doesn't go far enough.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Nothing to see here. It truly was "Just Words' and a self titled waste of time.

GumpershnickalGumpershnickalabout 1 year ago

theres no story here....

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeabout 1 year ago

Well ...

As much as I like JW's writing,

this was more of a skeleton than a full story.

I really didn't need more about the bitch.

And certainly not her thoughts and emotions.

But we didn't get much information on our guy.

Was his life that empty?

4 out of 5 from me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Don't know for sure. but I think it's the case that if his trust is not mentioned in the pre-nup, she might be able to get to it, and in any pre-nup both parties have to understand what the other has in pre-marital assets so that their signing it away is knowing.

King_WillieKing_Willieabout 1 year ago

Robots. It's a story about robots. I read a tax report on two machines:

10 IF wife cheats THEN GOTO 40

20 LET marriage = marriage + 1

30 GOTO 10

40 DIVORCE

I'd rather read about people.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I just don't understand how he is so foolishness to see her as she really is, especially after the fact. To even pause for a moment to sign the petition strikes me as a man with zero self insign who lives in a fog of fantasy land and is completely unable to see the reality around him.

Parenthetical, I've involved,VERY briefly with wealthy women. They were controlling, self absorbed, operated under the dictum of "what mine is mine and what's yours is mine use too." There both had been divorced from wealthy men, which is how they became wealthy. I know for a fact, because I talked with one of the their Ex's, that she cheated in him and them cleaned up in the divorce.

MY lesson from this is to avoid wealthy women like the plague.

Freddog6601Freddog6601about 1 year ago

JW has done a lot better than this. No story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

4 stars. I liked the story but seemed too short, almost like a Reader's Digest version. Could've had more depth, including a possible what happened before & after the divorce. Bob

oldtwitoldtwit12 months ago

Oh another good story, from my perspective it was short, too short, I liked the characters and they could have been built up into some really good ones as time went by, but you wrote it, I liked it.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x12 months ago

@Powersworder, he didn't lead an impoverished life, he just didn't need all the bells and whistles. He didn't HIDE is wealth, if she had been a true partner to him, he wouldn't have kept it from her, he likely wold have freed some money up so that the COULD have had some of the finer things if that was important to her. The problem was that she was a leech, with no interest in his life or situation.

usaretusaret12 months ago

Not my cup of tea.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Too bad she couldn't learn after the fact.

Nothing like kicking yourself for being a fool.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Not very realistic, even for this site.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE When a bitch burns herself!

Calico75Calico758 months ago

I enjoyed the story. It is a good one. I just wonder why in the world she married him in the first case.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Unfinished story. Seemed like a narrative for a documentary with no real ending. No one seems to suffer for their CONDENSATION...

Lawrie1941Lawrie19418 months ago

Good story that needs to be finalised, at least another chapter to explore the pain the ex suffers when she knows what her attitude has reaped for her and the joy her hubby has at her discomfort

Chimo1961Chimo19618 months ago

He needed to let her know about his trustful great revenge on ner

Just_WordsJust_Words8 months agoAuthor

I feel like I should have kept this story in the oven a little longer. It wasn't done yet. Live and learn.

smmhomesmmhome8 months ago

It would be a much better story to make the same point without hubby having $50 million in a trust.

Something like...

... A contrast between those that chase money end up connecting with similarly shallow people. That doesn't end well.

... and those that help others around them... They often build quality relationships. Quality relationships help in business, family, and life.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

So you have 50 million or so when the wife dumps you. She loses big time and you don"t spend even a fraction of that showing wh at an idiot she was. Other than that it was a good story. improbrble as it was.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

If she did know about his 50 Million she would have still left him but she would have tried to take half his money with her. What a good job they had separate accounts. Like I used to have. It made my divorce a lot easier.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Too bad he didn't buy his father in laws lost business for oennies on the dollar and made his money grubbing wife work as a maid and herlover boy wash cars. I would have to make her feel deep regret.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust_Words@Just_Words
I suppose I write for many of the same reasons that others do. First, I am exorcising my demons. I use writing to explore my thoughts and emotions, sometimes embracing, and perhaps ridding myself of, my darker thoughts and sometimes finding happier themes to celebrate. It s...

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories