Condo Conflict Ch. 02: Loving Arms

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"With us now is Mr. Emilio Sanda... excuse me... Santamundi, owner of these two properties. What do you think of this, sir?"

"Of course, I'm upset. They're ruined now. And all those people across there by the park, these were their homes. Where will they live?"

Emilio seemed genuinely concerned, but we had to wonder if it was all an act.

"Can you think why this might have happened?"

"No. We keep the buildings in good condition and every apartment has smoke alarms. We check them regularly. I guess this is what happens with old buildings sometimes. It's too bad."

"Will you be able to repair the neighbouring apartment? The fire-fighters saved it."

"I don't know. I'm sure there'll be water pouring in from the roof and maybe the side windows too. The basement units on this end will likely be flooded from all the water. I don't know what we'll do with this whole damn mess!"

"Thank you. That was the property owner commenting about the future of these two buildings. Now I have the lady with the rescued cats and she's very...."

We turned off the television and talked for a while about what we'd just seen.

"Do you think he did it, Barry? That he torched his own apartment?"

"Probably. The motivation was there. But it could have been a tenant smoking in bed. He had some pretty rough people living in there, probably to help clear other tenants out of the buildings."

"I think he did it so he could get started on his condo."

"But why would he have only torched one of them?" I wondered.

"Maybe he knew there'd be so much water damage that the other one would be uninhabitable? The bottom level is half underground," Monica suggested.

"Looks like that's exactly what's going to happen. There'll be a Fire Marshall's investigation, for sure."

"This will slow down his project, right?"

"Definitely."

"So, I guess you and Carole won't be getting back together on that job anymore?"

"Not for a while, if at all."

I could tell that this pleased her. Carole would always be competition as far as Monica was concerned. I admit that I would like to work with her again. There was something about her that stuck with me, but I wasn't going to say anything because this was a dangerous topic. Then Monica surprised me completely with the next thing she said.

"There were a dozen apartments in each of those buildings, right?"

"Yes, probably twenty or more families and groups of people left homeless."

"We could help with that problem, you know."

"What do you mean? Donations? A 'Go Fund Me' campaign?"

"No, by freeing up an apartment. We both have a place, and I think we could do with just one, don't you?"

"Oh.... Now I get it," I slowly replied as it dawned on me.

Monica was proposing that we take the next big step and live together! My... god! This caught me completely off-guard because I must admit that I'd never considered it before. I didn't realize that our romantic relationship was quite this serious.

I thought she was wonderful company, smart and very attractive. And I already knew that she was good in bed- very good, in fact. But I had underestimated the depth of her feelings for me. However, I knew that when a woman asks you to live together, consider the relationship over if you decide to decline.

I must have hesitated too long because Monica started to sell me on the idea.

"My place is bigger, and I like my things, so you could come here. We could share the rent and arrange an extra parking space because we'd both want our own cars. You like my cat, don't you?"

"Yes, it's a great idea!" I enthused. "I don't know why I didn't think of it myself."

Actually, I did know. My enjoyable working relationship with Carole had clouded my vision a bit, but that would be over now because I was committing to this. Besides, it looked as though Frank's company would be finished with Santamundi and his condo project for now anyway.

"This is so exciting, Barry. How soon do you think we can do it? We can go to your place tomorrow to decide what we'll keep and what you'll need to get rid of. Most of my things are quite new, so we probably won't need much of your old furniture. I never told you before, but your bed is too soft for me anyway. Oh, I can hardly wait for us to set this place up as our own!"

I smiled and we kissed to our future together. I firmly pushed down the tiny nagging doubt that I was feeling. It was much easier when she led me into her bedroom- soon to be our bedroom- to celebrate the big step we had just taken.

Soon we were entwined, our lips locked, and our bodies joined in fevered union. Breathing became more difficult as our passions rose higher and higher. Gradually we came closer to the bounds of this world- it certainly seemed like that! Then we both went there for a time before we finally came back to Earth. Any doubts I had about moving in were gone, at least for now.

****

The Fire Marshall's investigation into the cause of the fire continued for a week. The second apartment had been badly flooded, just as Santamundi expected, so big 'Condemned: Do Not Enter' signs were posted as soon as residents had an opportunity to salvage what wasn't ruined.

It poured rain all that week, only worsening the damage and heightening the ugliness of the forlorn burned-out building. A high metal fence was erected quickly to keep people off the site of both buildings, and it remained that way in the weeks and months that followed.

Investigators concluded that the fire had probably been accidental, perhaps started by an untended candle or cigarette. There was strong suspicion that one of the back units may have been occupied by squatters who crawled through a missing back window to sleep. The property owner was exonerated because there was proof that smoke detectors throughout the building had recently been inspected. However, suspicions did remain.

The burned-out ruins were bulldozed and hauled away, but City Hall ordered that the other building remain in place. It was a designated 'historically significant' structure, the one with the unique patterned brickwork between each level. The owner was ordered to seal off the building until its future was decided. Under no condition was he to tear it down.

In the meantime, Monica and I were living together in her apartment. I hadn't shared a home with a woman for almost three years, and not with a woman who came home at night for at least a half dozen. I had forgotten the many benefits of the constant companionship and a woman's arms around me at night. What was there not to like about living with Monica?

There were a few difficulties, as a matter of fact. The apartment was rather small for two people, and little of my own stuff had made the cut when it came to using what space we had to share. I'd had some of my things for a long time and now they were gone to charity. At least I had kept most of my books.

The other problem was entirely with me. Monica might be the sweetest girl in the world, but she was that, a girl. I was at least fifteen years older than her- the better part of a generation- and we came from very different backgrounds, with divergent interests and tastes. Perhaps the contrasting preferences were insurmountable?

She liked country music, but I preferred jazz.

She liked home-style food, while I preferred international.

She wanted to line dance, and I wanted to go to concerts.

She wanted a man, but I'd like a woman more my age.

She held me tightly in her loving arms at night.

But sometimes I was thinking of Carole.

Was there any future for our relationship?

12