Confirming Carter Bk. 02 Daedalus Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Interior-Conference Room, Central Tower

1125 Hours

Chuck watched the screen on the teaching machine, waiting for the process to end. Caldwell sat in a chair next to him wearing a headset, his eyes closed, a small smile on his face.

When the process ended, Caldwell opened his eyes and looked around, then looked over at Chuck.

"Is that it?" He asked as he took the headset off and sat it on the machine. "When we did the ancient language, I felt it, I mean, I could feel myself thinking in ancient. I don't feel anything with this. Are you sure it took?"

"You have to have a reference when you get training on a specific skill or how to use a piece of equipment or device." Chuck told him.

He looked around the room at the others sitting around the table as he opened a file on his tablet. The monitors around the room came on, and he saw heads nodding as he worked through the screens.

"These are the same screens I showed you a few minutes ago." He said. "Do they make any more sense now?"

"Yeah, it was gibberish when we looked at it earlier." Sheppard said, picking up his own tablet. He tabbed through the database, then looked up at Chuck in surprise. "You already started that search Tammy asked us about?"

"It only took a minute to set up, so I went ahead and ran it while we were still in the meeting." Chuck told him. "I pulled the top five hundred, not just the top fifty. But if you want to set your own search up for practice, I can walk you through that."

"Can you go ahead and walk them through that, just the basic search?" Andi said as she scrolled through the list from Chuck's search. "Then we can talk about which of these people we want to send where. I'm marking the top four candidates from the personal assistants list to send to Sam and Tammy."

"Its fairly straightforward. You input the primary characteristic you want, and the range you're looking for." He said as he keyed a search in on his tablet, then looked up to make sure that it was mirrored on the monitors. "You can add sub categories, like gender, age, and secondary skills as well. The results can be shown as a list, a chart, or a graph, with the best choices at the top."

"That seems simple enough." Caldwell said. "But this just gives us likely candidates based on aptitude. The people we're looking at probably don't have any actual training or experience."

"That's true, Stephen." Samuels said, leaning back in her chair. "But it usually takes someone new a few days, if not weeks to adjust to how things are done when you bring them in. And there may be training available on management and some of the other things we need."

"There is." Chuck said, blushing slightly as he looked over at Caldwell. "I've done a few of them myself. That might be why the scan I showed you was off the scale in some areas."

"I thought you said that the scan was your basic aptitudes." Caldwell said. "Are you saying that using the teacher affects that?"

Chuck nodded as he brought up a pair of images on the monitors.

"Whenever you learn something new, whether you're using the teacher or doing it naturally, your brain makes new pathways, which affects your basic aptitudes." Chuck told him. "What you already know affects what else you can learn."

"He's right, Stephen." Samuels said. She looked over at the images on the monitor closest to her. "I guess those are before and after images of who, Stephen after his last session on the teacher?"

"Yes, ma'am." Chuck nodded. "As you can see, there's a marked change in several areas because of the different training he's received."

"Okay." Sheppard said as he looked around the table. "Now that we know how to use this, can we look at the list Chuck pulled up? Tammy said they wanted the top five, but I think we should give them the top ten, then just alternate them as we go down the list. That way, we all get about the same level of skills."

"That sounds like a plan." Caldwell said as he looked over the list. "But we might want to add Pharris and Jennifer since they're not here right now."

"Don't forget Daniel." Andi added. "He's going to need people for his education department. And since he doesn't have the ancient gene either, one of you might want to go ahead and see if you can work up something to find him teachers."

Interior-Kitchen

1330 Hours

"So tell me what you have so far, Andi." Sam said as she came out of the door to the gym. Tammy followed behind her, pushing Geraan and Phinnar ahead of her.

"I'll be right with you." Tammy said as she ushered the boys out the door. "I want to get these two dressed real quick. Why don't you order us something to eat? I could go for a steak, maybe some ribs."

"I want pizza." Geraan grumbled as he stepped into the hall.

"How about you, Phinnar?" Tammy laughed. "Pizza okay?"

Phinnar nodded, then took off at a run down the hall. Geraan followed, both of them laughing and whooping as they headed for their room. Tammy grinned over her shoulder, then jogged after them.

"Her inner child lives very close to the surface." Sam laughed as she sat down at the head of the table. She looked over at Samuels, her face coloring slightly. "She caught them playing doctor yesterday, at least that's how she put it. And instead of stopping them, she joined in, and let them play doctor on her."

"That was actually a very healthy thing for her to do." Andi said as she sat down. "They see you two naked all the time, and I'm pretty sure that they've seen you making out, if not making love, so letting them explore a little won't hurt them. She used the opportunity to explain a few things I hope."

"Yes I did, Andi." Tammy laughed as she came into the kitchen. "And to be honest, I was amazed, and a little disappointed with how fast they got bored with me. Phinnar said I smelled funny."

She turned and keyed the comm, then gave the cook their food order. She glanced back over her shoulder at Sam, and when she nodded, she told the cook that that would be all and closed the comm.

"Its going to take half an hour for the food." Tammy said as she moved around the table and sat down. She grinned at Sam, then looked over at Andi. "So, you wanna hear more about what the boys did to me, or do you want to tell us what you have for us."

"I think I should tell you what we've gotten done so far." Andi said, trying not to smile as she glanced over at Sam. "Chuck had already setup a search before we left the meeting, so after he ran us all through the training and gave us an overview on how to use the system, we went through and pulled people for all the departments."

She paused, glancing down at her tablet, then continued. "He set the search up for the top five hundred, instead of the fifty you said to do, and we pulled the top ten out for you, along with four personal assistants for you to interview. I have someone out contacting them now, and we'll have them assemble in the conference room in the morning so you can meet them. We'll set them up in quarters in that building as well."

"Put our assistants in the suites on forty-two, unless you already have someone in them." Tammy said. "I think they should be close, since they're going to be part of the household staff."

"I can do that." Andi said, making a note on her tablet. "I have to tell you, we went a little overboard when we were pulling from that list. There were only four of our people on the list, all of them in my department, and we're going to leave them in place. For the rest, we pulled almost thirty each from the refugee pool, and Chuck already has the first groups on the training machine for the skills they're going to need."

"So how many did you get altogether?" Sam asked.

"Not quite a hundred and fifty." Andi said, grinning broadly. "Sheppard and Caldwell may have had concerns earlier, but once they got a look at the skills list, they were like kids in a candy store."

"Did you get Pharris over like I asked?" Tammy asked her.

"No, they were tied up, and couldn't get free. But we got people for her, Jennifer and Daniel." Andi told her. "I also had Chuck set up a search for teachers for Daniel, since he doesn't have the gene."

"That was a good idea." Sam said. "Have him send that list to Daniel, but copy us, since his department is going to be directly under us. You've got too much going as it is, and we may be pulling more out from under you as we grow."

"I'd suggest doing the intelligence services first. The woman I have running that is very competent, and I think you'll like her." Andi said. "She's one of ours, and was one of the original expedition members."

"I didn't know that you had farmed that out, but bring her to dinner tonight so we can meet her." Tammy said. "I know most of the originals that are still here, so I probably already know her."

Geraan and Phinnar ran into the room, going around the table to Tammy's chair.

"There they are! My little warrior and the finest pilot in the galaxy!" She laughed as she turned in her chair and leaned toward them. "Come here and give me a big hug, then we'll go in the bedroom and play airplane while Sam and Andi talk. How's that sound?"

The boys laughed happily as she hugged them, then they each took a hand and pulled her up, leading her out of the room.

"She's so natural with them." Sam said quietly as she watched them walk down the hall. "I envy her sometimes."

"She's more like their sister, or favorite aunt." Andi said, smiling softly. "You're the queen, and mother figure."

"She's a queen too. I do..."

"No Sam, you are the queen, emphasis on the. Even Tammy acknowledges that." Andi said seriously. "You were first, and without what you had done with this city and these people, none of this would have been possible. I know it may be getting old, but what Teyla said is right, you are much loved by your people."

Interior-Office

1530 Hours

Carter was working at her terminal when Tammy came in and sat down, putting her feet up on a table.

"You were kinda quiet during lunch, then you disappeared in here without saying anything." She said as she opened her laptop and waited for it to boot up. "You feeling okay?"

"I'm fine." Carter said, not looking up from her work. "Its just...I don't know. Seeing the way you are with the boys, then something Andi said..."

"What did she say?" Tammy asked, sitting her laptop down and turning her attention to her.

"She said...she said that you were like their sister, or a favorite aunt, and that I was the queen, and a mother figure." Carter said, glancing over at her, then going back to her work.

"I can see that." Tammy said. "I'm alot more relaxed than you are, and I play with them more. They come to you for the mom stuff, and come to me for the fun stuff."

She leaned back in her chair, smiling over at Sam.

"Who do they go to first thing in the morning, or if they have a problem?" She asked. "Think about it. What does Geraan do every morning when he comes into the kitchen?"

"He buries his face in my lap." Sam laughed.

"That's right. And Phinnar is right behind him." Tammy told her. "They don't even look at me until they've said good morning, or gotten a hug from you." She paused, frowning slightly, then added, "I get jealous sometimes, you know."

"Funny you should say that." Sam laughed, her mood starting to brighten. "I said the same thing to Andi. That's what prompted her to say what she did."

"They're not the only ones that look at us that way, you know." Tammy said. "Maybe its our personalities, maybe its the fact that you were in command before we took over, but people are more relaxed with me, and more formal with you. Except Daniel, Vala and O'Neill that is, they treat you like family."

"They are my family." Sam said with a smile. "And they're your family too now. I see the way you are with Vala, and Jack treats you like his kid sister."

"I still don't get Daniel, but I never got the bookworm type anyway." Tammy said. "But you're right about Jack and Vala, they do feel like family already."

"Don't worry about Daniel, he likes you, you just have to spend more time with him." Sam said as she got up and came around the desk. She stopped in front of Tammy and held out her hand. "Come on, let's go over to your lab, I want to see more about our little fucktoy, Boris. I have some ideas you might like."

Interior-Office Complex, Central Tower

1610 Hours

Chuck stepped out of the porter and walked down the row of desks toward the back of the large room. He stopped outside on open door and knocked lightly, then said, "Hey, got a minute?"

"For you? Anytime." Sandy Wildon said as she looked up from her terminal, giving him a bright smile. "If you want the truth, I can use a break."

"Good." Chuck said as he stepped into the office and stood in front of her desk. "I was wondering if you'd like to have dinner with me tonight. I ha..."

Sandy's smile disappeared, and she got up, coming around the desk to put her arms around him.

"Oh god, I can't tonight, Chuck." She said as she pulled him closer to her. "Dr. Samuels wants me to join her for dinner tonight. She said that she wanted me to meet with the queens, and talk to them about something."

Chuck grinned as he put his hands on her hips, grinding his crotch against hers.

"Tell her no, because you're going to dinner with me." He said. "I already have permission from the queens to bring a date, so you can still talk to them. And I promise that I'll be alot more fun than she will."

"Am I getting in the way of your social life, Chuck?" Andi said from behind him, laughing as they both turned to look at her. "And are you saying that I'm boring? I think I should resent that."

Chuck looked over his shoulder at her, his eyes wide, his mouth moving, but nothing came out of it.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, I just wanted to talk to Sandy about dinner." She said lightly. "But go ahead and go with Chuck, Sandy. He can introduce you to everyone as well as I can, and it will only take a few minutes for what I want to do with the queens."

She smiled as they both just stared at her.

"Okay, I'll let you two talk. But remember, dinner is at nineteen hundred in the dining room, we're having Italian." She said as she turned and started to walk away, then turned back. "And Sandy, come see me when you're done with Chuck. No hurry, I just want to review a few things with you."

Chuck and Sandy stared at the open door for a moment, then burst out laughing.

Interior-Office Complex, Central Tower

1630 Hours

"I'm sorry about that, Dr. Samuels." Sandy said as she stepped into her office. "We didn't know you were there. But I have to tell you, it was nice getting two different invitations to have dinner with the queens on the same day."

"I can imagine." Andi laughed, waving her into a seat. "And its really not a problem. If you want the truth, it works out even better this way."

"How do you mean, doctor?" Sandy asked as she got settled.

"First, I think its time you started calling me Andi, second, I mean that both your and Chuck's status points will go up if you show up as a couple, instead of a pair of singles. I think General O'Neill and I are going to be the only unattached people there tonight." Andi said. She looked at Sandy for a moment, then added, "I suppose I should ask if you are a couple. I mean, is this serious?"

Sandy smiled at her and said, "I'm not in the rotation anymore, but we get together occasionally. But considering that he asked me to join him for dinner with the queens, I guess he might want to get me back as a regular."

"I'm not even going to ask what 'in the rotation' means." Andi laughed. "But why don't you go wrap up whatever you have going and knock off early today so you can go get ready for dinner. Dress is casual, jeans are fine, but no perfumes or colognes, please. And try to be fashionably late, so you can make an entrance. You'll make a better impression."

Interior-Dining Room, East Tower

1920 Hours

"Hurry up, Chuck." Sandy said as they stepped out of the porter. "She said to be fashionably late, that's ten minutes. We're pushing obscenely late."

"Would you lighten up?" Chuck laughed as he stopped and looked at himself in one of the mirrored walls. "I impressed the hell out of the colonel and the court this morning, so I think I'll get some leeway."

"I wouldn't bet on that Chucky." Tammy laughed as she came out of the restroom behind them. "Sam has been asking about you, and Andi says that you have her new...well, I guess I should let them tell her about that."

She turned and looked at Sandy, her face brightening when she got a good look at her.

"Sandy!" She laughed as she went over and hugged her warmly. "I didn't know you were still in Atlantis. God, I am so sorry I lost touch with you. How have you been? And what are you doing hanging around with the Chucknician?"

"I've been fine ma'am." Sandy said as she hugged her back. "I've missed you too. We had some good times that first year. I'm sorry we lost touch too, but we both got so busy with work, it was bound to happen."

"So tell me the truth." Tammy said, glancing over her shoulder at Chuck. "Is what they say about him true? I mean is he really as..."

"Better." Sandy laughed, stepping back and putting her arm around Chuck. "He's a regular machine. And the tricks he knows! I'm surprised you never gave him a test drive."

"I meant to, but could never seem to find the time." She said, grinning over at Chuck. "I may be the only original that hasn't."

"There's quite a few act..." Chuck began, but Tammy cut him off.

"And neither of us cares, Chuck." She laughed. "But I think we should go in now. They're already serving, and I love Andi's lasagna."

She turned and went into the dining room, and they followed behind her. Tammy walked up behind Sam's seat, laughing when she heard what was going on.

"I want pizza." Geraan grumbled as he poked at his plate with his fork.

"We don't have pizza." Sam told him. "Put some lasagna on a piece of bread, and pretend its pizza."

"You liked what we have last time we had it, Geraan." Tammy said as she knelt down beside his chair. She glanced over at Sam and winked at her. "Do this for me, try a little, and tell me what you think. You have tried it haven't you?"

Geraan shook his head, his face set in a pout. "I don't want this, I want pizza."

"Well, you had pizza for lunch, and this is what we have, so its up to you, no one is going to force you to eat it." She said as she looked over at Phinnar. "What do you think, Phinnar, do you like it?"

Phinnar nodded as he shoveled a forkful of spaghetti into his mouth, then wiped his plate with a piece of bread and stuffed it in his mouth. Tammy grinned at him as he chewed quickly, then looked up at her from his now empty plate.

"Go ahead." She laughed. "But get one of the servers to get it for you, okay?"

"Uh huh." He grunted as he dropped off his chair and ran across the room.

"I found Chuck primping in the foyer." She said as she stood up and turned to Sam. "And he has Andi's assistant with him." She waved Sandy closer and smiled at Sam. "This is Sandy Wildon, she was one of the original Ops techs, then got moved to sciences, then shifted to admin. From what I heard, she kicked ass everywhere she went, and I know that she was one of Dr. Weir's favorites. She should do fine for what Andi has in mind."

Sam stood up, wiping her hands on a napkin and grinned over at Tammy.

"I know Sandy, she's my go to girl for when I have to get something done." She laughed as she turned and looked at her, holding out her hand. "How are you Sandy? I'm sorry I've been out of touch, but things have been a little weird for the last few weeks, ya know?"

"I've been fine ma'am." Sandy said as she took her hand. "It's been interesting since we kicked the IOA out, and now, working with Dr. Samuels, I can understand why you don't get out as much as you used to."