Consent of the Governed Ch. 01

Story Info
Election season in the Town & County.
19.8k words
4.78
9.4k
9

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 10/28/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

(Author's special note: As astute Detectives will realize from the title, this story is heavy on politics in the upcoming Election season on Earth-Crowbar. The story also cleans up and resolves ongoing issues from the previous few stories.

The next few stories after this one will be the whodunnit mystery stories that you love trying to solve, and will feature our favorite Detective (Carole) at work. So thank you for your patience and indulgence with this story as we move towards those.)

Part 1 - Prologue - Cleanup on Aisle 5

(Author's note: In the previous story, 'Town & County Confidential' Ch. 03, it was mentioned that Commander Troy took the Detective Lieutenants Three out to lunch. This is what happened during that lunch.)

Friday, October 9th. I was treating the Detective Division's Lieutenants to lunch at the Cop Bar. I'd called ahead to reserve the back 'Command Room', and we had it all to ourselves. Ranks were 'off' and everyone could speak freely, within bounds of reason.

I had the Double Breakfast Burger Plate. MCD's Jerome Davis had the Double Cheeseburger Plate. Vice's Micah Rudistan had fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans. Intel's Mary Mahoney Milton had the Steak Caesar Salad... and took a vitamin supplement that I recognized... after all, my wife is a gynecologist. Mary noticed that I'd noticed, and said simply "Yes sir, it's what you think."

"And what I observe and think is that you and Myron are about to work on having another baby." I said. Mary nodded, and Jerome and Micah congratulated her... with the requisite share of ribbing of Myron, who wasn't here to defend himself.

"That's great, Mary." I said. "Best of luck with that. Anyhoo, the reason why I got y'all here by bribing you with buying lunch, is because there's some things I need to tell you all. It's embargoed, so don't say anything to anyone just yet, not even your husband, Mary."

"Sounds like they'll be too busy to be talking, sir." said Rudistan with great joviality. We all laughed. Rudistan could be as politically incorrect as he wanted to be, but he was so humorous about it that no one ever seemed to be offended or hold a grudge. But I digress...

"Good!" I said emphatically. "Seriously, though, this is pretty big. It's an open secret that Commander Ross is going to retire, and is being nominated to succeed Chief of Staff Oswald, who is retiring from the Sheriff's Department at the end of the year. It's not so open and well-known a secret, but I can tell you now that it's a done deal, that Captain Muscone is going to be nominated to be the next Deputy Police Chief."

Jerome just nodded thoughtfully. Rudistan was busy trying to think of something jovially inappropriate to say. And Mary couldn't decide whether she should be ecstatic that Tanya Muscone would no longer be her direct chain-of-command boss, or unhappy that Tanya was being promoted... and would be over her husband, I.T. Lieutenant Myron Milton.

I continued: "That, of course, affects all three of you the most. It leaves a vacancy for the position of Captain of Detectives, who will be your direct boss. And I know what you're thinking... which one of you is going to be nominated to succeed Captain Muscone for the slot."

I drank some water, then said: "I've had some long conversations with the Sheriff, the Chief, and my three Angels about it, and about one of you filling the role. Ultimately, the decision was left in my hands... and that decision is that none of you will be nominated to the position."

Yep, I could feel the 'vibe' of disappointment, especially from Jerome and Mary. I hastily continued: "All three of you are doing outstanding jobs in your current positions, truly outstanding. And we did give each of you a lot of consideration. In the end, it boiled down to the fact that all of you are too young and not long enough in your current positions."

Your Iron Crowbar: "I know the running joke that it's hypocritical for me of all people to say that about others's youth and inexperience, but in this case it's true. There are Patrol Officers on the force older than each of you, and the Captain position is a whole different ballgame than being the Lieutenants of your units. You've got time. Time to grow, time to learn."

I then said: "Besides, Rudistan, you're still pissing 2nd Precinct water." Rudistan burst out chuckling at that. I then said "Jerome, you're so babyfaced, no one would believe you're even a Lieutenant."

"Speaking freely, sir, " Jerome fired back, "not many people believe you're a Police Commander, either, young whippersnapper!" That made Mary burst out in laughter, and she could not stop for a moment.

I was laughing also. "Touché. And yes, I've had people ask for a Sergeant, because they didn't realize I was ranked even higher." (Author's note: 'The Credit Card Caper', Ch. 01.)

"If I may ask, sir," said Mary when she finally stopped laughing, "are you going to bring in someone from the outside, or are you promoting from within?"

"Yes." I replied simply...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1:00pm, Saturday, October 10th. Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan, Me, Commander Cindy Ross, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and Captain Tanya P. Muscone were in the back room of The Cattleman's Club. Also present, and being interviewed, was LAPD Lieutenant Claire Michaels.

"When I left the TCPD," Claire said, "it was mostly because I wanted to get back home. And it's been great with the LAPD's Major Crimes unit. But Commander Raytheon died, Captain Provino is about to retire, and they're swapping out people."

"Also," Claire continued, "things have changed in California over the last few years, and for the worse for the Police. We can't arrest anyone, and if we do, the prosecutors won't try them, especially if they're black. If we'd done to the rioters burning down the streets last summer what you did to your rioters here, the perps would be let go, and we Police Officers would be put in jail and tried for attempted murder... literally."

"So," Claire finished up, "I'm looking for a place where the Police know their Leadership and the politicians have their backs. I took a shot emailing Commander Troy, and he told me about the promotions you were having... and congratulations for those, by the way... so I said I was interested and here I am."

"It's been pretty tough here, too." Cindy Ross said. "We have the US DOJ Civil Rights Division suing the Mayor, and they'll probably sue us after the New Year."

Teresa Croyle added "And we've had our share of violent riots. :Like you said, we fight back and we don't coddle the criminals, but we've had some losses." She recounted Corporal Inga Gunddottar's imminent move to the NYPD.

"I know you were here for a few years, Ms. Michaels," said the Chief, "but a lot has changed here since you left for LA. We have a new Intel Branch that is doing a superlative job, some new Detectives to go with the old Detectives you knowwww, and thanks to the Iron Crowbar and Commander Croyle, the very best Uniformed Police Force I've ever had the pleasure to seeee."

"I have a question for you." Teresa Croyle said. "What would you say your leadership style is? Top-down, working through your Lieutenants? Or more hands-on, getting in the dirt with everyone, going to every crime scene, and all that?" We all nodded at the question, which was a good one... and potentially tricky.

Claire replied: "As a Lieutenant in my LAPD unit, I've always been active in the field, going to crime scenes and participating in raids and arrests. But as a Captain here, I'd have to evaluate what works best for me, for my Lieutenants, and the Detectives."

Chief Moynahan said: "You're definitely ready to testify before Congressss, should you ever be nominated to the Supreme Courrrrrt." We all chuckled at that.

Claire: "And of course, sir, if Sheriff Griswold and Commander Troy are at the crime scenes, I'd want to be there. Just to learn from them, if nothing else."

Sheriff Griswold's mustaches twitched merrily as he said "She passes my test. Good asskissing skills, Michaels." We really broke out laughing at that.

"I have a question." Claire said. "Who does the Captain of Detectives answer to? Who will my direct boss be?"

"Me." I said. "Of course, Commander Croyle may give you instructions on my behalf, or she may give you and your Detectives instructions in coordination with operations jointly involving them and our Uniformed Officers. But in the event of any question or conflict, you answer directly to me." Everyone nodded at that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was overcast, and would be pouring rain all night, beginning around sunset. The Sheriff, Teresa, Cindy and I were in the greatroom of The Cabin. Laura, Paulina, and Molly had taken their respective children to their respective homes, so we were alone.

"The Chief didn't even let Claire get on the plane without accepting his offer." Cindy said. "She starts November 1st. I just hope the Council approves all the moves."

"They will." I said. "Besides, your retirement is a done deal, so we can put Tanya in the Deputy Chief slot unilaterally on a 'temporary' basis, clearing the way for Claire to come in as Captain of Detectives."

"How do you think Jerome, Mary, and Micah will handle the news?" Teresa asked. "We didn't even give them the courtesy of interviews."

"I took them all out to lunch Friday." I said. "I didn't tell them that Claire was all but a done deal, but I did tell them that I wasn't going to promote any of them at this time, because they are either too young, or too recently installed as Lieutenants. I think they understood."

"What about Hugh Hewitt?" Cindy asked, naming the 1st Precinct Captain. Claire and Hugh had been in a relationship, and one reason Claire went to LA was because of their breakup, I knew.

"That's a good point." I said. "Teresa, put out a friendly reminder email to all personnel that Officers that start a relationship with other Officers need to fill out the paperwork for H.R. And if you or I perceive any issue with Hugh, we'll have an off-the-record talk with him."

"Good." barked Sheriff Griswold. "The Lieutenants and Detectives are all good professionals, and I think Hugh will be fine, also. Anyway, it's going to be a new era for us, and the Town & County Public Safety Department. Let's make it a good one..."

Part 2 - Morning with the Media

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, October 12th, from the anchor desk at KXTC studios. "Early voting in the State begins today!"

After the hard-charging music intro, Bettina began: "We have full Team coverage of this important day in the most important Election in both Town & County and State history! Let's go to political reporter Carl Lemay at the Southside polling location. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the handsome black reporter, wearing an expensive suit as he stood in front of Joe Smedley Elementary School, which was just west of the A.M.E. Church. "Long lines have already formed as the Black Community is very eager to vote in this Election! Many consider this a chance to right what they saw as the wrong of the Mayoral election two years ago being stolen from Eldrick X. Weaver."

Lemay: "And while the stereotypes are that Blacks vote exclusively Democrat, political experts are saying that Republican Katina Jones could do significantly well against former Board of Inquiry leader Edgar Silas for the Council seat being vacated by the retirement of Reginald B.F. Lewis. Ms. Jones is a charismatic young woman that has attracted attention all across the State and this region of the Country."

Lemay: "And in the extremely important race for Inspector General between former Board of Inquiry member Bruce Finneran and Republican SBI Director James 'Curly' Goodwin, experts are saying that it could be a toss-up in the southside districts composed mostly of minorities, even though Mr. Finneran has promised to hold the Town & County Police accountable for acts of Police brutality against People of Color, and said that his first act will be to bring Commander Donald Troy up on charges so that Troy can be terminated from the Police Force."

Bettina: "Carl, why is the early voting being done at Smedley Elementary? Won't that interfere with classes?"

Lemay: "No, Bettina. After the newer George Floyd Elementary School was built right down the road, the new School Board shut down Smedley Elementary. They cited the age of the building, which is over 70 years old, and they also cited the complaints of many in the Black Community that the school was named after a white Police Officer, the late Joe Smedley. Even though Mr. Smedley was awarded the Medal of Valor, multiple Police and Fire Crosses, and six Purple Orders, matched only by TCPD Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle, many People of Color see him as a symbol of white Police oppression of minorities. Back to you, Bettina."

Bettina: "I couldn't agree more, Carl, about a majority-black school being named after a white cop. And next thing you know, they'll try to name University Hospital after Teresa Croyle, who is Donald Troy's right-hand-woman implementing his racism and Police brutality. And now let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris, who is at Mitt Romney Elementary School with a report on the northside. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the blonde, white, athletic reporterette. "The early voting is being held in the annex building on the edge of the grounds at the school, which shouldn't disturb the children in their classes. But it may not matter, anyway, as the turnout so far is very light, only about a fifth of the numbers Carl is seeing on the Southside!"

Amber: "In the Council race between incumbent Kelly Carnes and industrialist Bill Redmond, experts are saying that Ms. Carnes holds an edge in the polls, as she is the incumbent, and wealthy neighborhoods are increasingly rejecting the racist policies of the Republican Party. Both Mrs. Carnes and Mr. Redmond are virulent opponents of the brutal Police policies of Police Commander Donald Troy, and have promised to work ceaselessly and tirelessly to remove him from the Town & County Police Force."

Bettina: "Amber, what about the other races? For Mayor, and very importantly, for Inspector General?"

Amber: "Bettina, I'm told by the Channel Two Decision Desk, our group of expert pollsters and analysts, that the Mayoral race is very tight in the wealthy northern suburbs, and that Daniel Allgood cannot count on wealthy whites to vote for him. Also, Bruce Finneran was gaining on SBI Director Goodwin in this past weekend's polling."

Bettina: "Thank you for that important report, Amber! And in other news, the Town Assembly is hearing the proposals of the various agencies in Town & County Government for the Budget for next year. Let's go to Pat Stellum for more. Pat!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Pat 'Al Capone' Stellum, reporting from in front of the State Office Building on the north side of Courthouse Square. "The State Legislature did not pass a State Budget in the last legislative session, and if they don't pass one in the next session this coming Winter, there will be a total State Government shutdown. This will include moneys allocated to the State's 96 counties and The City. These shortfalls would affect our County's Budget, as well."

Stellum: "But more importantly, Bettina, the Democrats on the Town Assembly have vowed to defund the Police and have vowed to block any Budget that contains even one dime for the TCPD. They may even defund the entire Public Safety Department, as the Assembly Democrats are bitterly angry at the role two EMTs played in rescuing an injured white Police Officer in the Jacquez Wilson uprisings." (Author's note: 'Consequences', Ch. 04.)

Bettina: "Pat, exactly when are the presentations? Specifically on what day and hour will the Public Safety presentation be? And will the Mayor be making a presentation, and when will that be?"

Stellum: "The Public Safety presentation to the Assembly is this Thursday, October 15th, beginning at 9:00am. Again, that's 9:00am, Thursday, October 15th. It will be outgoing Sheriff Department Chief of Staff Charles T. Oswald's last presentation to the Assembly. Somehow, Bettina, I don't think they'll be throwing him a party with cake and ice cream."

Stellum: "As to the Mayor's presentation, the Mayor is technically the Moderator of the Assembly but with no vote, similar to his position with the Council. He usually does not make a presentation, leaving that to the County Administrator. And this year, because of new offices created by rewriting the Charter, the Assembly will be hearing more presentations than ever, including from the School Board. Back to you, Bettina."

Bettina: "Thank you for that informative report, Pat. And tomorrow night is the Town & County Council meeting, and it will be one of the most important ones in recent memory, as promotions and hirings into the Sheriff's Department and Police Force will be considered, as well as other promotions and medals..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Maybe I should contact my lawyer, and sue Bettina?" said Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle as she, Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan, Me, Commander Cindy Ross, and Captain Tanya Muscone drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room as we listened to the broadcast. Yes, the coffee klatch was 'awn'.

"Won't do you any good." I replied. "And I speak as someone who's tried. You'd be wasting your time and money. If Judge Folsom doesn't give it to Judge Nance, who would immediately dismiss it in their favor, they'll just drag it out for years, literally for years."

Sheriff Griswold growled: "I'm pissed at the way they smeared Joe Smedley like they did. That man was our most heroic Officer and then Firefighter back in my day, before you young whippersnappers got here."

Chief Moynahan said "I can't beee-lieeeeeve blacks hate Smedley so badly that they'd shut down that school solely because his name is on it."

"Why did they even name it after him in the first place?" asked Tanya.

"Because he went to school there when he was a kid." said Cindy. "But I agree with the Chief. I know there are issues between Black and Blue, but Smedley saved more black lives as a Firefighter than most of the rest of us put together."

I said: "Remember, guys, it was the politicians that did that, aided and abetted by the deeply corrupt Press, to keep the racism narrative going. Democrats will do anything, will tell any lie, to further that narrative, and the Press will help them in order to create hatred and division, and violence upon which they can report."

I continued: "And speaking of that, Bettina and Stellum were tag-teaming to tell the exact time of the Public Safety presentation to the Assembly. Teresa, we'll need a heavy LEO presence there. I suspect the Assemblypersons that want to defund the Police would love to start trouble, then say the Police quelled the disturbance with violence and therefore should be defunded."