Consequences - Erin Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I think you know why you're here. In case you're wondering about the run, it's been cancelled. I called John and told him to reschedule it for next week. I told him you couldn't make it. So, you and I have two nights together. You can thank me for saving your job."

"Addison, I believe my work was better than most and that's what saved my job. I just helped you as you asked. Nothing more was promised."

"You forget that the list I turned in was tentative. I can still change it. If you won't show me how much you want to keep your job, I'll just have to reconsider your name. Is that what you want? Why don't we have dinner now while you think about it."

"What is it you expect me to do? I thought that day in your office was enough for you. You left me alone after that."

"That was nothing. Just a little down payment. And you didn't have to do anything but stand there. I did all the work."

"All right. I'll think about it over dinner. I really want to keep my job. Is this really the only way I can continue working for you? Only if I give you sex?"

"The only way."

"OK, let me get dressed. I'll only be a few minutes. I'll come back here."

With that, I returned to my room and checked the recording. I played it back via the ear buds that came with it and it was perfect. I took the full one and put that in my suitcase and replaced it with a new, blank stick in my purse. I changed into my little black dress, the one I carried for dinner meetings and such. I tried to make myself look as nice as possible since I wanted more incriminating conversation at dinner.

I called Paul before I left to be sure he didn't try to call me at the plant. I told him I was going to be working late so not to expect a call till tomorrow. We didn't talk long and I ended by telling him I loved him. I expected it all to be over by tomorrow and I could finally tell him the truth. I walked down to Addison's room.

He made appreciative noises about the way I was dressed and wanted to forget dinner. I refused since I told him I needed the time to make sure we had an agreement before I did anything. He seemed to expect this. I guess being corrupt as he was, he expected everyone else to be the same way. This is what he would have done.

We went down to dinner, me pretending to be thrilled to be with him. He put his arm around me as we walked to the restaurant. I was repulsed but I needed more from him to assure that I had his ass. So, I let him hold me against him. After all, this was a public place. He couldn't do anything here.

At dinner, Addison told me how he had planned for some time to get me in bed. He said he knew of the terminations before and decided that it would be a perfect time to convince me that a nice new job and title could be mine for just being nice to him. I made him tell me what he wanted to do with me and he did. Loud and clear for the recorder. I laughed and pretended to go along and finally told him that I agreed to his terms. He said he wanted me to spend the night with him in his room and I agreed. He made several crude comments that I recorded just for spite and finally turned it off. I had all I needed.

After dinner, we went back to the room. To make sure there was no suspicion, as we entered the elevator, I reached up to give him a kiss. He was surprised but very willing. As the doors closed, I pulled away and laughed.

"This is going to be a good night for both of us."

"You can say that again. God, I've wanted you for so long. I can't wait."

"Well, you're going to have to wait just a few more minutes. I have to get my birth control from my room. It'll only take me a couple of minutes. You go ahead to your room and I'll be there in just a few minutes."

"Why don't I go with you? We could use your room."

"No. I don't want you in my room. Everything is just thrown around and it's a mess. Your room is fine. I don't care how it looks."

The elevator stopped and he moved to get out.

"What's your room number, just in case?"

I thought quickly. For this to work, he can't know what room I was in.

"Room 452. One floor above."

He let the door close and watched me with a smile on his face. As the doors closed, I blew him a kiss. Once fully closed, I sagged against the wall and almost lost my dinner. The elevator stopped at the next floor and I got out. I walked down the hall to the stairs and walked down two flights to the second floor. My room was 213. I went in and shut the door.

I again checked the recorder and found that I had all but the last few minutes clearly recorded. Nothing of any importance was missing. I took the stick and placed it with the other. Now, all I had to do was wait until morning and then I could book a flight home. I felt good that I had the information I needed to either make him leave me alone or to get him fired if he refused. I was pleased.

As I was making my plans for when I returned, my cell rang. It was Paul. Why was he calling. When I answered, he mentioned a change in the scheduled physical I had for next week. He wanted to make sure I called the doctor to change it. When I told him I would, he mentioned again to be sure I didn't do anything I would be sorry for. It seemed a strange comment but I was too excited to make much of it. I just told him again how much I loved him and we hung up.

Now, I changed out of my good dress, put on my PJs and decided to relax. It felt good. As I was just drifting off, the phone rang. I knew it was Addison and didn't bother answering it. I was not going to talk to him again until I was home and in control. He tried to call several times but I refused to answer. He finally gave up. He was probably pissed but just to be sure, I called the desk and told them that I was being harassed by a gentleman I met and not to give anyone my room number. When they assured me that they didn't give out that information, I again made them promise that no one would get that number.

Sometime during the night the message light on my phone lit up. I knew it was a message from Addison and didn't bother answering it. I slept the sleep of the just that night and didn't wake up till late the next morning.

The next morning, I called and made my plane reservations and got my confirmation number. I checked with the desk to see if Addison was still registered but they told me he had checked out, so I dressed, went down to the desk and asked for my bill for checkout. I didn't see Addison anywhere so I felt safe. As I waited, the desk clerk gave me an envelope that he said was left for me. That's what the message light was for. I glanced at it, suspecting it was from Addison and signed my bill with the charges. I was now checked out and ready to leave.

As I waited for the shuttle to take me to the airport, I glanced again at the envelope. I opened it and pulled out a single sheet of paper. I glanced at the signature on the bottom. It was from Paul! Was it a fax? No, it was original and hand written. I began to read it.

Erin,

I told you what would happen if you decided to cheat on me and destroy our marriage. I saw you with him last night. I saw you kiss him in the elevator. When I called your cell, you lied to me because you were with him. I called your room later and you didn't answer because you were with him. You spent the night with him. I know you did.

I am going back home and when you return, I won't be there. Our marriage is over and I will file divorce papers immediately.

Paul

The letter fluttered to the ground as the shock hit me. He thought I was cheating on him and he followed me here. He saw me with Addison and thought I was with him all night. He was wrong! So wrong! I had to call him to let him know he was wrong! I ran back into the hotel and went to the house phone. I used my calling card to call home. I got Paul.

"Paul! Paul is that you? Paul, what did you mean by this letter you left me? Why would you think I was with someone? I told you I was at the plant working last night. You knew that! What the hell did you mean by this nasty letter?"

"Erin, please don't lie to me anymore. I asked you a simple question. Why didn't you just ask me for a divorce? Why did you have to go fucking that asshole Addison behind my back? Why did you choose to humiliate me? That's what I don't understand. You could have done anything you wanted to and I would have let you have your freedom. If you had only asked."

"Paul, no. No. No. I don't want a divorce. I love you and I want to be with you. I haven't done anything like you think. You have to believe me. Please, Paul. I love you so much. Please, please."

"I was there last night at the hotel. You and Addison came down for dinner at about 6:30 and went back to his room an hour later. You spent the night with him and you were still with him at 6:00 this morning when I called your room. I left then for a flight back here. I saw you and he kissing in the elevator and I called you half an hour later when you told me you were at the plant working. Don't you remember? I know lying gets so complicated when you have to remember so many."

"Oh God, Paul. You have to let me try to explain. I'm on my way to the airport now and I'll be home before 4:00. Please wait for me. Let me try to explain to you. You have to let me. Please Paul."

"Goodbye Erin. There is nothing to explain. You had a choice to make and you made it. Now you have to accept the consequences of that choice. I'll be gone by the time you get home. I don't want to talk to you again and I'll file for divorce tomorrow. You can have the house. I'll be packed and gone by the time you get here so whatever is left you can have."

He hung up on me. I dialed again and waited but all I got was the voice mail. He had turned his phone off. I had to get to him. I ran back out and flagged a taxi, choosing not to wait for the hotel shuttle. I had to get to the airport and see if I could get an earlier flight out. I had to get to him before he left. I had to!

I was able to switch to another airline and get an earlier flight. My flight landed at 1:35 and I was in my car and on my way home within another 20 minutes. I tried his cell again but it was still off. What about the home phone? He should be home by now. I tried that. I heard it ring twice before he picked up.

"Hello?"

"Paul, before you say anything or hang up, believe me when I say that nothing happened with Addison. What you saw is not what you think. If you ever loved me, you'll wait until I have a chance to tell you what's happened. You don't have to believe me but you have to give me five minutes. Just five minutes! Aren't twelve years of marriage worth five more minutes? Would you throw all we've had together away when all I'm asking of you is five minutes?"

He didn't hang up but he didn't say anything either. I held my breath, still speeding toward home when he finally answered.

"I can wait five more minutes. But I don't know whether I can believe you now. But, I'll give you five minutes."

"Thank yo . . . "

He had already hung up. I concentrated on getting home and trying to save my marriage.

Even though I hadn't done what Paul thought, I was guilty. I never thought of his feelings during this whole thing. I was worried about me and my job and my possible promotion. I never stopped to think of what I was doing to Paul or his reactions. I never thought of him while I was preoccupied with my own problems. I had ignored him at home. I pushed him away when he volunteered his help and I closed my legs to him in bed. Paul had jumped to the conclusion that my actions had led him to.

I pulled into the driveway and was relieved to see his car still there. I jumped out and ran to the door. Inside, I saw his suitcases packed and sitting by the garage door. He was sitting in the living room, the blinds drawn and the room dim. I moved into the room, dropped my purse on the floor and ran to him. I dropped to my knees in front of him and grabbed his hands in mine. He made no effort to move and his gaze on me was cold and without emotion. I didn't care. I had caused this and I would, by God, tell him everything. I would also pray that it wasn't too late.

"Thank God you waited. Please Paul, you have to listen to me. What I did, I did to save my job at work. Addison has been trying to blackmail me and this trip was his attempt to make me have sex with him. He's been planning this for a while now and I didn't know it. Honest to God. Until he showed up, I thought I was only working as planned."

"How do you expect me to believe a wild story like that? You're too good at your job for him to just let you go. How could he blackmail you like that? I don't believe you. Your actions over the past few months convinced me that something was going on and this was just the final proof. You cut me off in the bedroom for months, you have been distracted and distant to me, when I confronted you, you suddenly got very loving and now I find you with him in a hotel. I see you go to dinner with him, dressed in the sexy little dress you always said was your way to get me hot, and you go back to his room while kissing him in the elevator. I call your room several times during the night and no answer."

He was really angry and he had been giving this a lot of thought. As he spoke, I realized what he thought and how he arrived at his conclusion. How was I going to convince him now? I had to try.

"Paul, please. Addison asked me to help him pick the ones to be let go. I didn't want to but he told me that unless I was cooperative, he would add my name to the list. I finally agreed to help so I could at least make sure that some of the good ones didn't lose their jobs. Addison never did anything inappropriate except once and that was all him. I did nothing to encourage him and I did nothing to help him. It was humiliating but it wasn't sex. Please believe me. This trip was a surprise to me."

"How do you expect me to believe you? What did he do that was just humiliating? Did you fuck him in the office? Give him a blowjob? Just a hand job maybe? Nothing that meant anything? Is that your story? What a bunch of crap!"

"No, no! Please Paul. I knew what he was up to when he told me that the run was cancelled and that he was there in the hotel. I knew what he was going to do so I made a plan. I took the little recorder that you gave me for Christmas and made him talk about his plans. How he blackmailed me, how I had to do what he wanted to keep my job, and he did. He told me everything. I got it all on memory. It's in my purse. Now, I'll go to management and he'll be fired. I had to dress like that and go to dinner with him to get him to talk. But I never did anything with him. I was in my room when you called but I thought it was him. I never told him my room number so he couldn't find me. He called and left messages but I didn't answer. I didn't know it was you. Not at that time of night. How could I?"

"Still a wild story. How do I believe it? What proof do you have that would convince me that it was true?"

I remembered the tape. I had it with me in my purse. At least the last part, the part from his room where he confessed it all. I would let Paul listen to that. That was my proof!

"Here. Listen to this. Addison lays it all out for me. Just listen and then you'll believe me."

I handed the player to him with the ear buds and sat back while he listened. This would let him know that I was telling the truth. This would convince him. I watched as his face turned angry and felt finally that he was now ready to believe that I had nothing but contempt for Addison Croft.

Paul finally took off the ear buds and laid the recorder down with a grimace. He was shaking his head.

"Now do you believe me? Now do you see what he was trying to do? Do you?"

"What I heard was him describing what he had done and admitting that sex was what he wanted. I also heard you asking him to make it clear. And the last thing I heard was you agreeing to his terms. That's what I heard. Nothing told me you said no."

The shock of his words hit me in the face like a blast of hot air. How could he say that? I grabbed the recorder and put the buds in. I pressed play and listened in horror as I heard myself say,

"So you insist that I stay the night and have sex with you?"

"That's right baby. Just you and me and fucking all night long. That's the price you pay for keeping your cushy job and getting that promotion you want."

"OK big boy. I agree. I'm all yours for the night. I hope you're as good as you claim."

"Nothing but big, baby. I'll make you forget that wimpy husband of yours. I'll have you screaming for it before the night's over."

"Sounds good to me, but you have to wait till I get my birth control and some other goodies. I'll be right back. Don't start without me."

Sounds of laughing and then some more crude comments and then . . . nothing! That was all that was on the tape! Then I remembered that I had run out of memory but discounted it since I had all I needed.

There was no proof! It sounded like I had agreed and promised to come back to spend the night with him. As I ripped off the ear buds and prepared to tell Paul that this wasn't all there was, I saw that he had already picked up his suitcases and left. I panicked! I ran from the room to try to stop him before it was too late. I rushed to the front door and opened it in time to see him back into the street and pull away. He was gone!

I collapsed to the floor in grief and cried myself into exhaustion. I had no idea of what to do now. Nothing I said or could say would convince Paul of the truth. Why in hell had I done this? Was the job so fucking important that I neglected my husband, forgot what I was doing to him while I tried to find some way to protect my position? What was wrong with me? I had forgotten my real reason for living in order to protect something that wasn't even necessary to my life with Paul. I was devastated!

It was late afternoon, the sun just beginning to slide below the horizon when I pulled myself together and went up to my bedroom. I sat on the bed trying to decide what to do next when I saw the bottle of sleeping pills sitting on the bedside table. I had the doctor give me a prescription during the time when I was dealing with the stress of Addison's demands. All I needed was to tell Paul the truth, but it was too important to me to keep my damn job. These pills helped me sleep, a poor substitute to my husband's arms around me. But typical of my thinking lately.

I counted out thirteen of the little blue pills and held them in my hand, thinking. A glass of water and these innocent looking tablets was all it would take. No worries, no cares, no pain and no apologies to anyone. Except God. But, he always forgives: husbands don't.

Just as I was about to swallow the first of them, it was as if a flashbulb went off in my head. What was I thinking? The tape I made of Addison was what got me into trouble in the first place. That damn tape that was supposed to get rid of him and make me safe was the problem. If I could just finish the damn thing, making sure that my innocence was clear to anyone listening, I could finish this and maybe save my sick marriage.

As I thought about it, I realized that I had to give it a try. I closed my eyes and said a silent prayer to God. I knew that he had sent this flash as a way to save me from a sin. The sin of suicide. I owed it to him to make the attempt. As the words said: What God has joined together, let no man put asunder. Well, I wasn't going to let Addison put my marriage asunder! Not in a million years! I would see him in Hell first!

I went into the kitchen and sat down beside the base station of our cordless phone. I searched for and found the 'record' button. When I pushed the button it would record both sides of any conversation made on that phone. Perfect. Now, I wanted to call Addison but first I reviewed in my head, what I wanted to say. When I had it perfect, I dialed his number at work.