Constructions

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But being with her doesn't hinder my ability in trying to be there for Davon. On the contrary, I think it's good for him to know her, too. And at least he'll get one example of a good, equal relationship.

"And I know we won't have a legal position in his life but I'm willing to promise to stay in his life and try to be a...father figure to him. I don't know if I'll be any good but I'm really going to try. If I get a chance."

And he had looked at Devon, who had been wide eyed and stunned, at Maria who was crying, at Laura who was wiping her eyes and smiling. Mariana was at work so she wasn't there. And then he had looked at the judge. Nervously.

And, wonder of wonders, she had heard him. And she had ruled just as Joshua had recommended. And now, hours later, he was sitting in a garden swing in the foster home's yard with Devon. He would be moving to his old room at Maria's shortly, but the cogs of law weren't quite quick enough for him to get there tonight.

Devon looked at him. He wasn't quite as wide eyed as in court but he was still stunned.

"Are you crying?" he asked.

"Yeah," Tommy said. "I still can't believe this is happening."

"I didn't know you wanted to be my...in my life," Devon said.

"You asked me to the Father's Day event."

"Yeah but I thought it was only me."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," Tommy said. "I guess it took me some time to understand it, myself. I'm not always the fastest guy."

Devon smiled a little.

"But why are you crying?" he asked.

"Because...because I was so afraid I'd lose you. That you wouldn't be in my life after today."

"Oh," Devon said and kicked from the ground to set them swinging again. "You want me to call you dad now?"

"If you want to. It's not about labels for me. And I'm not your dad, and it's okay. You have to make your peace with Hector. And you will. I'll help you if I can."

"What is it about, then?" he asked.

"What is?"

"You said it's not about labels. What is it about, then?"

Tommy pondered how to express himself. "It's about intentions. Every relationship is about intentions. I know for a lot of people there's things that they think are more important than relationships. Careers, power, money. But I don't think so, not anymore, my relationships are what's most important to me.

"So you intend to do good or you intend to do bad. You either hurt someone or you won't. And I will do anything in my power to never hurt you, or Laura. It's what's on the top of my mind at all times. It might not always work out, but that's being human, you just might hurt someone without meaning to. But that's when you apologize and work to get over it.

"So, just know that I'll never try to hurt you, I'll always try to do right by you. Call it what you will. I'll think of you as the son I never had."

Devon raised his scrawny arm and wiped a tear off Tommy's cheek.

"I've never seen a man cry before," he said.

"So what do you think about me crying?" Tommy asked.

Devon took time to consider it. And then he hung his head and there was a tear rolling down his own cheek when he said, quietly, "Well I've heard that men don't cry. But it makes me feel important."

Tommy wiped his eyes again. "Can I hug you?" he asked.

Devon came into his arms hesitantly. He was small and bony and Tommy held him carefully but tightly.

"You are important, Devon," he said. "Don't you forget that."