Cornflower Blue Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He drove down Gulf boulevard which was lined with hulking condominiums and resorts that towered over the remaining mom-and-pop places. Vacationers strolled the sidewalks with bags of leftovers from restaurants, to beach shops to pick up souvenirs and postcards of their visit.

Adam filled me in on the occupancy percentage which to me was phenomenal because I would have thought tourists would have migrated to the fancier resorts, but many still like the old Florida style.

It occurred to me that in a few days I'd be moving to one of those fancy resorts on Siesta Key. I felt guilty like I was a traitor for doing so. I had certainly learned in two days, I thought. I asked Adam if he'd stop at a big box store for me before we went back.

*****

The next morning, I found an old long-sleeved shirt in the office closet, probably one of my grandad's shirts. I put it on over my clothes and opened the can of sunny yellow paint. I thought while I was here, I could fix up one of the rooms anyhow, so why not begin with mine? I wasn't here long-term so refused the offer to stay in a kitchenette room.

I had the first coat on all the walls when Adam appeared.

"Whoa! That is bright! Good choice, Tessa. You're turning into a real Florida gal already!" He walked in and looked around. "It is amazing what a coat of paint will do eh?"

I looked around with a certain amount of pride. "I surprised myself. I didn't think it would make this big of a difference. I never did much to my walk-up in New York," I shrugged. Never interested now that I considered it.

"Thought you might be tired of walking to the diner down the street." He held up a bag. "Hope you like Cuban sandwiches!" he grinned.

"I've never had one," I said, suspiciously.

"You'll love it," he said and I rolled my eyes comically. "Awh c'mon, you'll love it! Really. It's ham, roast pork Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard pressed between Cuban bread. Oh, this is Tampa style with salami. The only way to go."

My mouth watered, but I didn't admit that. I liked his humor and wanted to play along.

"Okay okay, I'll try it, but it better be good," I grumbled. "Or else you'll have to help me with the second coat of paint," I said, trying to hide my grin.

"Ah ha! A method to her madness," he laughed.

An hour later a Cuban was my new favorite sandwich with salami the only way to go. Adam still helped me with the second coat of paint, so it went quickly.

"Wow, what a difference! Just by painting. Now the drapes and bedclothes look dingey." I looked at the drapes, paintings, and other things that should go back up.

He leaned on the dresser. "I'm guessing you want to go shopping again."

I turned and clapped my hands. "Would you mind terribly?"

"I've been known as a professional shopping bag carrier from way back, so I'm happy to practice my craft."

I laughed and punched him on the arm. "Then I'm happy to help advance your career!"

I kept an eye toward motel washable when we shopped and was happy to find bedcover and drapes in the same sunny yellow with touches of light blue. An idyllic tropical scene to go above the bed, and two wall lights to replace the ones over each nightstand.

"You love to shop," he laughed, as we loaded the bags in the back of the Rover.

After I got strapped in, I said, "You know, I hate to shop. My assistant does most of my shopping for me. The clothes I've been wearing? I didn't see them until I opened my suitcase here." I laughed. "I'm pathetic."

"No, you just have had different priorities. You've been building your career."

I looked out the window at the scenery. Everything was so green. Blooming bushes and trees were bright blotches of color as we passed by. It was all so crisp and clean compared to New York, which now seem dingey and grey. But I couldn't put a coat of paint on it and make it all better.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. Sometimes I think I've missed part of life. I put so much into my work."

"I get that. I inherited my ranch from my dad, but I had to put a lot into it getting it up to current standards. Then a health scare made me rethink my priorities, and even though all was well, I changed my lifestyle and focus. I learned to delegate and discovered that with good employees, things ran fine without me. Don't get me wrong, there are many things that go on at the ranch that I want hands-on." He chuckled, hesitated for a moment, then said, "Wow, my whole life story."

I looked at him and smiled. "I like hearing your life story."

He glanced over and smiled.

*****

I woke up the next morning in a brighter mood. Not only from the sunny yellow walls and matching accouterments, but something happened between Adam and me. I wasn't sure what it was. But I felt closer to him.

Patricia bought several bathing suits for me in varying degrees of exposure. I immediately put the bikini back. Another one had too many cutouts. The two that were left were more what I was comfortable with. I belonged to a gym in New York and did take the time to work out. Mostly for relaxation, but for body benefit. I carefully tucked my new bikini and sarong into the corner of the drawer.

I looked in the full-length mirror. The suit was cut high over my hips making my legs look a mile long. The scoop neck showed a nice amount of cleavage, but nothing I'd be embarrassed to be seen in by some of the elderly men around here. I'd met them all and none seemed lecherous thankfully. Now at fifty, I had the same weight and measurements as thirty.

I grabbed a towel, sunglasses, and a book I found at the pharmacy down the street. I wasn't inclined towards romance novels normally, but it was that or how to get more fiber in your life. I had no issue with that.

I must have dozed off because I woke up to a shadow and body looming over me.

"Tessa, if you don't get out of this sun, you are going to be burnt," Adam admonished. "The Florida sun is like no other. Trust me. When you're as tan as me, you can lay out all day," he laughed. Ugh, he was right. My skin did sting a little. "Why don't you take a cool shower and I'll get you a bottle of aloe gel?"

"Great idea, thanks!" Although I inwardly cringed at the thought of water hitting my sensitive skin.

After the initial shock of the cool water, he was right, it did help cool my skin. Even though I laughed when I saw it, I was grateful Patricia got it for me. It was a tropical floral muu muu that was the lightest weight cotton that floated around my body. There was no way I was going to wear a bra or underwear, but the muu muu was loose enough to hide those indiscretions.

I set the ceiling fan to high and lay spread eagle on the bed enjoying the cooling breeze. Adam knocked on the door and after I moved into a more ladylike position, I called him to come in.

He held up a big bottle of neon green gel and said, "This stuff is magic."

"I hope so," I moaned. "I feel like I'm on fire. Ugh. How stupid could I be."

"Everyone does it the first time because they don't realize how hot the sun is here." He sat on the edge of the bed. "Can you do it yourself or do you need help?" he asked hesitantly.

I lost all modesty and just wanted relief. "Have at it. I'm yours. Go for it. Put the fire out please."

He chuckled. "Hmm... Good thing I'm a gentleman."

I moaned as he smoothed the cooling gel over my arms. Between the fan and the gel, I was feeling somewhat normal. He carefully spread some on my face and neck. Then carefully pushed the neckline of my muu muu aside and laid a thick coat on my chest. I moaned intermittently. He meticulously folded the muu muu to the tops of my thighs.

"Ooooo," I heard him murmur softly. I knew it wasn't because of my sexy legs, but that they were neon red.

I moaned louder as he stroked the gel down my legs. I tried to tamp the sound effects down, but it just felt so fucking good.

"There, it should be starting to cool you down," he said, capping the bottle.

"Thank you so much... I do feel cooler... In fact, really cool..." I said starting to shiver.

"Awh, that usually happens. Let me cover you with just a sheet. It'll stick a little, but you'll feel warmer... Then you'll be hot again. Then cold."

I had to laugh despite my pain and stupidity. "Thanks for the warning. I think. But maybe it's better to be surprised."

He laughed. "I'm a little hungry. There's a great pizza shop down the street. Would have some with me?"

"That does sound good. I might die of melting into a puddle, but I don't want to die of starvation."

He threw his head back and laughed loudly. "I'll try to make sure neither happens! Sausage?"

"Yeah, for sure!" I said, throwing the sheet off. He was right. I was getting hot now. I chastised myself again for being so stupid.

The straps of the muu muu abraded my burnt shoulders. As soon as he left, I pulled it over my head and let the fan cool me again. It felt so good I started to finally relax and must have dozed because the next thing I remember is Adam throwing the door open and bringing in the pizza.

"Oh! Oh wow, I'm sorry," he apologized, trying to avert his eyes from my nakedness on the bed.

Not that I would be sexually arousing with a white body and fiery red legs and arms. Unless a Christmas candy cane was a turn-on. Ugh. What a mess. I pulled the muu muu over my nakedness but wasn't worried that he got an eyeful. I had to have been ugly looking.

"That's okay. The straps were rubbing the burn on my shoulders. I must have dozed off. I did think of a perk to this... I'm glad I didn't wear the bikini today and burn even more flesh," I gave a woeful chuckle. "That pizza smells delicious."

He had been glued to the spot with pizza in hand since he walked in the door. Poor guy was probably disgusted seeing my red and white peppermint stick nakedness.

"Oh, right... Pizza..." He set it on the dresser and produced two paper plates and had two beers tucked into his pockets.

"Ah, beer. That looks good." He smiled, seeming relieved.

I slipped the muu muu back over my head and sat up on the bed, cringing because my skin felt too tight for my body. He handed me a plate and sat on the edge of the bed. He seemed uncomfortable so we exchanged a few words while we ate. I felt terrible. I should have made sure I covered up. I could understand why he was disgusted.

*****

Adam texted and told me he'd not be around for a few days because he had to take care of business at the ranch. I had my suspicions, but then his excuse made perfect sense.

I had my coffee at the table by the pool.

"Hey, you're out here early. I thought just us old people got up at the crack of dawn," Bud chuckled.

"Are you kidding you and June are busier than I think I've ever been in my life! I can't imagine how you were when you were my age," I said, in awe of that couple. They were the most active seniors I'd ever seen.

"I have to go out to pick up some things, do you need anything? I see you're without a car and not much is in walking distance," he offered.

I smiled. "As a matter of fact...."

That afternoon I opened the first of three gallons of paint I purchased for the rooms. I stripped the room of drapes, lighting, and pictures because I wanted to replace all that as I did my room. Patricia was surprised to get my text telling her to cancel my reservation at the Siesta Key resort, and that I'd be staying at Sea Vista. I texted her instead of calling to avoid too many questions, but I did promise I'd update her soon.

After a couple of hours, I stood back and admired my handiwork. This room was a tropical coral and it promised to be just as beautiful as my sunny yellow. I had creamed my burnt skin between the first and second coats, hoping I didn't do too much damage. I didn't want to be a wrinkled-looking leather-skinned old hag before my time.

I completed the room earlier than I expected, so I moved to the next room. Fortunately, it was summer, and the motel just had folks coming and going for a night or two, unlike high season when people stayed by the week. By the time the regulars came back for winter, they'd be in for a surprise.

I stopped painting the palm green in mid-roll. What was I thinking? I won't be here. By then someone else will own the place and I'll be long back at work in New York. I finished rolling on the coral with less enthusiasm, somewhat disappointed because I got lost in a dream world.

Finished, I closed the paint, and cleaned up. Thanks to Bud, I would be ready to redecorate because he stopped and happily helped me shop at the home store so I could buy bedding, drapes, and artwork for all three rooms.

I turned the television on just for company and sprawled on my bed. I had to be realistic and think about the situation. If I stayed in Florida and ran Sea Vista, I'd be giving up a career I worked hard towards. I finally reached the level I worked my ass off for. Could I just walk away from all that? I knew I had to make a decision soon. I tossed and turned all night and woke up in the morning tired and no nearer a decision.

I went to the coral room and unpackaged the drapes. I pulled a chair to the window and began threading the curtains on the rod. Suddenly the door opened, bumped the chair and I went flying right into Adam's arms.

"Ooof," he said, catching me mid-fall. "Damn woman, good thing I'm around to save you again," he laughed.

I had my arm around his neck, and he didn't seem to be in a hurry to put me on my feet. Truth be told, I was in no rush for him to do it.

"I was just hanging the drapes," I said, looking at him.

His gaze locked with mine. "I see that. You have the most beautiful blue eyes. Cornflower blue."

He let my legs slide to the floor but kept his arm around my back. I was still hanging on his neck. He leaned down and I met his lips, softly brushing. Testing. My eyes fluttered closed as the kiss intensified. I was happy he had kept his arm around me because I was in the process of melting into a puddle on the floor.

He accidently rubbed my still flaming hot skin and I cringed. "Ooooo, sorry."

"Your burn? At least you didn't cringe because of me," he chuckled.

"No, this stupid burn," I grumbled. Besides still stinging, it screwed up a great kiss with Adam. But then again, it might be for the best. I'd be leaving soon, and a relationship with him would be silly to start now.

"Let me help you with these curtains so you're not teetering on this chair again," he said, rolling his eyes. I threaded the drapes on the rod. "I did stop by for something other than knocking you off the chair, you know."

"Oh really. I thought it was becoming a tradition with us," I laughed.

"I thought you might like to go out to lunch and try another Florida favorite. Grouper sandwiches are pretty popular around here, but I have my favorite place where we could sit out and enjoy the breezes today."

"Let me change!" I replied, shoving the rod of drapes at him and leaving. His laughter followed me out the door.

"You order, you know what's best here," I said once we got seated in the corner of their outdoor patio.

"Two beers and two blackened grouper sandwiches," he said to the server. "Fries or onion rings?" he asked me.

"Onion rings!" I said, and he nodded to the server.

After she brought the beers, he asked, "So, I know your time is running out here. Have you come to any decision about Sea Vista?"

I sighed. This weighed heavily on me after the first two days I spent here. Having no use for a motel, I came thinking it would be a clear decision. I would sell and move on. But I found so much more to it than that.

"To be honest, I haven't decided. What I have done is talk to a management company about running this place for me. They specialize in commercial businesses and take care of everything, from booking to maintenance."

"Really," he said, taking a long draw of his beer. "Sounds perfect. You can go back to your job in New York, and they will take care of the motel."

I nodded, thinking I should feel relieved that at least for the time being, Sea Vista wouldn't be a worry. But I wasn't. I still felt a dark cloud hovering.

"That's my plan, yeah," I told him.

"You told them about the annual renters then?"

"Of course, I did. I want to make sure they don't lose their housing until they're ready to leave," I replied.

Bud and June had been a big help to me right from the beginning, but I've gotten to know the other couples and found they are just as wonderful. They are all grateful that I am maintaining the same rent as my grandparents did.

"So that's it then. You're free to leave whenever, eh," he said it more as a statement than a question.

There were a million other things he could have said but didn't. That he said I was free to leave was pretty clear. I don't know what I was thinking he would say. I'm older than him. He's drop dead good looking cowboy that could have his pick of girls his age. What the hell would he want with a fifty-year-old perimenopausal woman?

"Yeah, I think I'll be wrapping it up here pretty soon. June is making ceramics to match the rooms and they are going to take charge of sprucing up the bathrooms. I wanted the kitchenettes updated which the management company will do."

"Pretty much have it all taken care of then."

"Yep."

*****

Three days later an early morning airport ride pulled in, I loaded my cases and hugged Bud and June who insisted on seeing me off. They also had an envelope I left for Adam.

I walked into the office the following morning to a surprised, Patricia. "Tessa! You're back... Already." She frowned. "I didn't think you'd be back so soon. Did you get beach time? Fun time? What about that cowboy? Did you get cowboy time?"

I laughed and tapped my fingernails on her desk. "It's great to see you too, love." I grinned. "I did get rest and beach time. My business there was done, so I was ready to come home. The cowboy is still there."

I walked into my office before she saw any telltale traces of sadness on my face. I was hoping my lovestruck teenager moments were over. I was sure once I got back into work, it would all fade.

With all the catching up I had to do, the week flew by. Theo heard I was back and left me several voicemails that I ignored. By now I knew that I had done the right thing in cutting it off with him. I would be extra busy because the management company would have me in a zoom meeting weekly to update me on Sea Vista, including pictures and videos.

I walked the last block to my condo building, which was something I always enjoyed. But now it seemed busy, gritty, and heavy with the now unpleasant scent of the city.

I changed out of my business clothes into comfy soft sweat pants and a shirt. I heard my cell and had to go find it.

Adam: I cannot believe you just left like that.

Me: I left you a letter. Did you not get it?

Adam: I did, yes. I thought we had a little more than a few lines of goodbye scribbled on Sea Vista stationery.

Me: Yes, you're right. You were very kind to me when I was there, and it was rude of me to do that. I apologize.

Adam: Then that's on me if the only thing you took away was that I was KIND to you.

Me: I didn't think we had more. I'm so much older than you.

Adam: Ten years?! So?! What does age have to do with feelings? Makes no difference to me if you were younger or older. My feelings wouldn't be different either way.

Me: I'm sorry. I don't know what to say.

Adam: Me either.

And he was gone.

I got up, went to the kitchen grabbed a bottle of merlot, an opener, and a glass. This night would take some fortifying.