Cornflower Blue Ch. 01

Story Info
Older NYC businesswoman inherits a Florida motel & a rancher.
10.9k words
4.78
20.6k
28

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 08/07/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Daddysgirlfl
Daddysgirlfl
2,312 Followers

Cornflower Blue

Chapter 01

"Tessa, just fly down, sell the place, then come back. We'll all still be here, and Jim will cover your accounts." My assistant Patricia was always the voice of simplicity when things got overwhelming for me. "And this is a perfect time for him to do that since you have the ball rolling and nothing is left to do but oversee your newest accounts." She leaned over the desk and said conspiratorially, "Or screw up." We laughed.

"You're right... I mean I loved my grandparents, but why they would ever leave Sea Vista to me, I'll never know." I anxiously ran my fingers through my raven black curls. A habit I've been trying to break all my life. "My life is here in New York. The motel is in Florida and a world away as far as I'm concerned," I said, leaning back in my office chair and willing myself to relax.

She shrugged. "Since your parents died, you were their only surviving relative. They probably figured you could keep or sell. I mean you do have options. You could keep it and hire someone to manage it. Since you wouldn't have a mortgage on it, after taxes and insurance, you'd have some profit. And a place to stay on vacation! And retire to!" She laughed, then became serious. "Or yeah, you could just sell it. But I'm wondering if you would regret it down the road?"

I groaned never thinking that after retirement I may want it. "Why do you always have to be so damn right?!" She laughed and shrugged. I was fifty and retirement was looming like a black cloud in the future. Although I couldn't imagine not working.

"I'll make your plane reservation. The nearest airport is Tampa, and it doesn't look like much of a drive from there. It is right on the Gulf of Mexico!" she said excitedly.

"I should send you in my place. You're more excited than I am," I lamented, feeling just a bit sorry for myself that this glitch popped up in my perfect life.

I have been dating Theo for five years and I didn't see a future with him. Admit to myself I never really did. One of my angsts was if I was leading him on to thinking we had a future together. He's a few years younger than me and seemingly more often giving me directives. Last night's discussion with him about my inheritance was an exercise in anxiety for me, and also a touch of anger. He wants me to sell it from here, sight unseen. I told him I feel I owed it to my grandparents to make the trip to see it.

Patricia talked me into taking a vacation while I was there since I hadn't had one in a few years. Maybe the timing was right to end it with Theo, which would give me two weeks to R&R from work and him.

I went to the outer office and told Pat, "You know, you're right. I do need a vacation. I'll stay a couple of days at Sea Vista, then book me into something lavish on the beach. Maybe that Siesta Key I keep reading about?"

"Yes ma'am!" she grinned. "I'm so glad you're taking time off to relax, Tessa. You need to recharge and what's better than the beach, right?" She picked up the phone to call our travel agent and I left for my morning meeting.

That night I called Theo and explained that I felt I was leading him on and that I really didn't see a future with him. To be honest with myself, at my age, I wasn't sure I wanted a future with anyone. I was happy with my life and where I was in my career.

*****

When I traveled, I dressed for business. I also carried a briefcase. A classic black rectangular briefcase. I stowed it in the overhead and belted in. A twenty something girl sat across the aisle in trendy ripped jeans, flip-flops, and a t-shirt. She had been wearing her cell phone battery down taking an ongoing series of duck-lipped selfies. When she heard the flight attendant tell me that if I wanted to move there was an empty seat in business class, she looked at me, made wide eyes then rolled her eyes.

Before I followed the flight attendant, I leaned over and quietly told the girl, "You can do it too."

It was none of my business, but I hoped I got through to her. I was a child brought up with expectations. They were careful never to pressure me but made me strive to do my best. If I fell short, they commended me for what I had accomplished. My parents raised me expecting I would do the best I could in school, that I would apply myself to whatever endeavor I took on, and that I would always strive to be the best me I could be. That's still how I live my life, and it has helped me become as successful as I am.

When Patricia called to schedule my stay at the Sea Vista, someone from there insisted they pick me up at the airport. I was slightly annoyed at not having a rental car while I was there, but that was easily remedied once I got done with my business at the motel.

My ride was waiting for me in the cell phone lot and pulled up in a white Range Rover. A blue-jeaned cowboy, who I assumed to be an employee, jumped out to stow my luggage and hold the door. He expertly wove his way out of the airport to head southbound to the motel.

"Sorry, I didn't have time for introductions. My name is Adam, and I know yours is Tessa. Have you ever been to Sea Vista?"

"Sorry to say I haven't," I said, looking down and smoothing my skirt. "I regret not seeing my grandparents more. I had a job that was hard to get away. I lost my parents in a tragic accident and the thought of seeing my grandparents was a painful reminder. I was inconsiderate enough to not realize their pain," I admitted.

He nodded. Adam seemed comfortable in his cowboy hat, plaid shirt, and impossibly tight jeans. "They were very proud of your accomplishments. All through your life."

I was somewhat taken aback that I had been discussed with this stranger. "How did you know my grandparents?"

"I met them on a ranch tour. We just sort of hit it off and they invited me to come to the coast when I could. As time went on, I helped them with things around the motel that needed fixing or replacing and in return I got a few days at the beach. I dealt with any help they would hire since the elderly are at risk of being scammed, especially here in Florida."

I didn't have a chance to ask more because he was on the exit ramp and heading west. In no time I could see the waves of blue and the Gulf of Mexico. Another turn and we were turning into the parking lot of the Sea Vista.

It was a two-story twenty-four-unit motel that had probably been built in the nineteen fifties or sixties. The brightness of the tropical aqua indicated a fresh coat of paint on the building. The railings and palm shutters were painted orange, creating the perfect tropical feel.

I understood why he wanted to pick me up. Parking was tight and just enough for one space for each unit. By the number of cars, assuming everyone was around, it was over half full.

"This is wonderful," I said getting out of the car and taking it all in.

He grabbed my bags and came around the car, grinning. "Not what you expected?"

"Not really. They always talk about the mom-and-pop motels, which sort of gives you a negative picture. Compared to the soaring Hiltons next door."

He started walking towards the office. "Yep, and they want to turn this place into that," he said, pointing to a high rise directly next door. "There was a place similar to this there a few years ago. They came up an offer the owner couldn't refuse, so he sold out."

I wondered if my grandparents got offers like that and had turned them down.

The July humidity was stifling and the cool of the office was a relief. I looked for someone at the check-in desk as Adam walked behind it and grabbed a key from the board. I had a chance to look at him and I was surprised when he was a bit older than the early thirty-something I'd taken him for at first.

He looked at me and winked. "I'm the official bellhop here," he shrugged.

He unlocked unit one and swung the door wide. A double bed centered the small room, and a dresser, nightstand, and chair were the only other pieces of furniture. A small flat panel television sat on the dresser. The beige and off-white were a jarring difference from the orange and aqua outside.

"Your grandparents wanted to update the rooms but never got around to it," he said, reading my mind.

I shrugged. "It's clean and just what I need."

He seemed relieved. I wonder if he thought I'd complain. My grandparents owned this place for as long as I could remember. They would travel up north annually to see us, and each year I could see them aging. The upkeep of this place would be tremendous for them at their ages. My grandmother died suddenly and three months later, my grandfather followed. I think because he could not live without her.

"I'll be in the office. If you'd like, after you change into something more hot Florida-ish, I'll take you on a tour."

His grin revealed perfect white teeth. Smile lines bracketed his full lips and long thick lashes framed his grey eyes. Just enough hair showed under the cowboy hat that revealed dark brown, thick, and wavy, making me wonder what he looked like without his hat. I couldn't imagine that he was single, but he did say he stayed here quite often. Wouldn't imagine he'd leave a wife somewhere else.

Patricia was also thoughtful enough to pick me up summer clothes and bathing suits. Those weren't something I ever had because I never took time to go to the pool or even a lake. I'd let myself become a workaholic, but now that I had the perfect job, I could relax a bit more.

I pulled out a pair of yellow shorts and a peach, yellow, and white floral top. After piling my chestnut hair on top of my head, I grabbed a pair of sunglasses and headed to the office.

Adam was just coming out of the office with an armload of towels. "Ah, you're looking much more comfortable now," he grinned. "Let me drop these off and I'll give you the tour."

He ran up the steps to unit thirteen to a young lady who thanked him profusely for the extra towels. I was sure Adam had that effect on most any woman.

The motel was perched on the edge of the beach, and I could see the tropical orange and aqua umbrellas dotting the beach. There was a pool tucked in the back of the parking lot. Aqua lounge chairs lined up like soldiers on either side of the pool Two heavily oiled teenagers were stretched out taking in as much sun as they could in a short time. Potted palms provided privacy from the parking lot. Umbrella tables were tucked in each corner.

The pool overlooked the beach so there was the advantage of the pounding of the surf and squawking of the laughing gulls swooping overhead, but with the comfort of a lounge chair and no gritty sand in unwanted places.

"We hose down the pool area every day because of those darn things," he laughed. "If people wouldn't feed them, they wouldn't be such a nuisance."

We circled the backside of the units and he pointed out the individual air units as well as the other things that made this place run. I appreciated that he thought to show me that type of thing and not assume I wasn't interested.

He grabbed a couple of icy bottles of water from the office and we sat at an umbrella table next to the pool. By then a family with two kids was having fun with the water basketball game.

We laughed at them for a bit before he said, "So do you have any plans for this place?"

"I'm not sure I have a choice but to sell it. My job is in New York." The ball flew my way and I batted it back into the pool. The kids yelled thanks and I grinned.

He nodded. "Your grandparents thought that might be the case, but they wanted you to see the place and spend some time here before you decided."

"I just don't see many options. I guess I could get someone to manage the place, but being realistic, I could see where that would have its own set of problems. It seems to do it right; I'd have to be onsite."

An elderly couple came out of one of the lower units, greeted Adam, and waved before getting into their car and leaving.

"That's June and Bud. They're one of the couples that live here. I don't know if you were aware that there are three units that your grandparents rented out month to month."

"No. I had no idea."

"Housing can be hard to find for older folks. The ones that aren't ready for assisted living or a nursing home but are not able to do the upkeep of a house have limited options. They don't need a full-size condo or expensive apartment. Your grandparents decided to use a few of the rooms for long-term rentals. It was a win-win for them. They had money coming in every month and all the folks keep an eye on the place too."

I looked out over the beach to the rolling waves. That did add to my decision and would weigh heavily. If I sold, those people would lose their housing. There is a possibility I could help them relocate, I thought. That would absolve me of any guilt I'd have of kicking old people out on the street. Because I too would be old someday. In the not too distant future, I thought ruefully.

He talked about the monthly bills, general income from rentals as well as nightly rates. There was so much to consider when running one of these places and I had a new admiration for my grandparents.

"So, how do you fit into all this?" I had to ask because nothing he said had given me a hint as to what he did here, why he did it, and for how long.

"As I said, I met your grandparents on a tour of the ranch. They asked such thoughtful questions; we began talking after the tour. They told me they owned this place and invited me to come to R&R at the motel on the beach. I did come out when I could get away. When they needed help, needed something done, I'd do it for them."

"But you do have a job or something?"

He grinned. "Something yeah. I own a cattle ranch in central Florida."

"Wow, okay. So that's a long way away? I imagine it's not easy for you to get away from something like that."

He laughed. "Sounds like it, but it only takes three hours to go coast to coast in Florida. My ranch is a little over an hour east of here. I have great employees and believe it or not, there's not much to running a cattle ranch. It's all on a schedule, so that makes it relatively easy. I inherited it and worked from when I was a kid on, so I know the business backward and forwards, inside and out."

I was sitting here in shorts and a summer top and melting. He was in jeans, long sleeve shirt, and a cowboy hat looking cool as a cucumber. I guess you must get used to Florida summers.

"I really appreciate you looking after them. I'm truly embarrassed that I was so focused I didn't pay much attention to them. They were always so healthy, that I didn't worry about that."

"None of us want to face our parents and grandparents aging. As I said, they loved you and were so proud of what you did in your career." He chuckled. "They were a little sad you never married and gave them great-grandchildren."

I laughed and rolled my eyes. "Children never were in the picture for me, and I just never found the right man I guess."

*****

The following morning, I used the tiny coffee maker that was in my room to get me going. I didn't sleep well. Too much on my mind after I realized whatever my decision was would affect so many others.

I was disappointed that Adam wasn't in the office, but I did run into Bud, the tenant we saw yesterday. I introduced myself and he invited me into their kitchenette room. I wondered how people lived in a room like mine, but seeing the small kitchen in theirs, it all made sense. The room itself was bigger and there was more furniture that created an actual sitting area to watch television or read.

They were elderly but very active and I could see they weren't near ready to be relegated to a nursing home. June took classes at a local craft store and Bud played golf. This was a perfect setup for them. They paid a fair amount to stay there, plus I discovered they also helped around the place by washing and folding the laundry and keeping things tidy around the exterior. Bud hosed down the pool area daily and made sure the loungers were neatly lined up and everything was clean.

My cell vibrated and I saw it was Patricia.

"So, how's it going there?" she asked, never one to make small talk.

"Interesting."

"Uh oh, that sounds like a passive-aggressive kind of intriguing," she chuckled.

"Oh yeah, it is. I met the cowboy that almost pretty much runs this place, and two of the tenants that live here."

"People live there? You mean like every day for months?" she asked, incredulous. "Ugh. Are they homeless type?"

I laughed. "No, not at all." I went on to explain the situation here to her.

"Ohhhhhh, Tessa, you have a lot to think about. You can't kick old people out onto the street!"

"Oh, for god's sake, I'm not going to kick them out. I just must figure out what to do with them."

"Okay, you do that. But I want to know about this cowboy. Cowboys in Florida?" she asked.

"Yeah, there are working cowboys in Florida. They ride the range down here too. Just like out west. He owns a cattle ranch in the middle of the state. He met my grandparents; they became friends, and he comes here to help and stay sometimes."

"Hmmm."

"Stoppppp. It's not like that. He's younger, probably at least 10 years younger. And he lives in Florida, and I live there. And I have enough trying to figure this motel thing out, much less a cattle ranch. I can wing it here at least. What the hell do I know about cows--or cowboys for that matter," I laughed.

We went on to talk about what was happening at the office. I relaxed knowing things were going well. One less worry off my mind. We disconnected with the promise I'd check in with her to tell her the latest. She wasn't just my office assistant, she was a good friend and always had my back. I knew I could bounce things off her when I needed to.

I walked out the door and ran right into Adam who had his hand up to knock on the door. "Oooof." I placed my hands on his chest to keep from falling. It was like hitting a building.

"Whoa, you're on a mission?" he said, laughing.

"Yeah, to get water from the office," I rolled my eyes. "Very important stuff."

"I know you don't have a car and was wondering if I could take you out to lunch, maybe show you the sights around here?"

"I'd love to! I need to change first," I said. I wore white shorts and a pink t-shirt, pink flip-flops and my hair on top of my head again. I could see it was going to be just too hot to ever let it down.

"Nah, you look perfect. It's real casual everywhere. Don't forget the sunscreen!" I held my finger up and went back into my room to apply the protective cream.

He lounged in the doorway. "You know if you want to stay longer, you can move to a kitchenette room. They have--"

"I know. Bud invited me in to see their place," I smiled. "Very nice for the long term."

"There are two more available for vacation rentals. Families like to have them."

I nodded. "I can understand that. The rooms look a little dull compared to the aqua orange setting outside," I noted.

He nodded. "Your grandparents wanted to update the rooms, but I think they thought it was too big of a project to start considering their age."

I could see that. Running this place would be a full-time job, what with the paperwork, licensing updates, rentals, and general upkeep. Adding renovations to the list could be overwhelming. My grandparents also left me a substantial amount of money to be used here, so money wasn't the issue.

We ate on the boardwalk at John's Pass while we people and boat watched. I'm sure I embarrassed myself at the delight of the pelicans that walked the boardwalk with us. Such calm and stately birds and so graceful for their size. The laughing gulls always brought a smile to my face. I stopped in a surf shop to pick up t-shirts for Patricia and a few in the office. Since Adam waited outside, I got a black bikini with a black floral hip sarong. I already had enough bathing suits, but I liked it and bought it on a whim.

Daddysgirlfl
Daddysgirlfl
2,312 Followers