Costumes and Second Chances

Story Info
Will a contest lead to a second chance?
35.1k words
4.74
19.4k
20
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Early September -- Mike

"Duckies!" yelled his squealing five-year-old. The poor little guy had yet to comprehend the massive changes that were about to happen. To him, grandma and Papa's house was where he got to watch the ducks with Papa and tussle with their two very patient retrievers. He tried to bolt down to the pond as soon as Mike lowered him from his booster seat. Thankfully, Louise, his older sister, helped corral the boy in the split second it took Mike to grab his hand. At eight, she always acted older than she was. Every year she got older, was like three, and Louise looked more and more like a smaller version of her mother, only with Mike's blue eyes instead of Deborah's dark green. Louise certainly had her same headstrong attitude.

Mike and his small family were making what was likely a permeant pilgrimage to his hometown. Deborah's folks had been a Godsend to getting them where they were, but they were retiring and headed off to tour the country in an RV. Mike had monopolized their time long enough; it wasn't fair to them or his children's cousins. Mikey and Louise were not their only grandchildren, only the youngest. Deborah had been a surprise, ten years younger than her brother, even further afield from her two sisters. For the five years that Mike had sleepwalked through his life, they had helped raise his children. He had made damn sure to be present when he was at home, but work and his social life were like a fog-addled mess. How Mike had managed to keep his employment the whole time was primarily due to his stellar record before and a very understanding boss. Mike had moments of clarity where he felt like his old self, but they were fleeting; they had allowed him to stay at least caught up with his projects, barely.

When little Mikey was only three months old, Deborah succumbed to a vicious and sudden cancer. Deb was diagnosed when she was six months pregnant with Mikey; she refused chemo and radiation until after he was born. By then, it was too late; her organs were riddled with tumors. They said it was a miracle that he made it to term. At least Deborah got to meet him before the pain became excruciating. If it weren't for his kids, Mike would have disappeared into a bottle long ago. They were the only thing that kept him sane as he battled grief. It finally felt like he was shambling out of an extended dark fugue; since the pandemic started, Mike had been working at home. His supervisor had taken notice that his work had improved markedly. When the firm had decided to give the option to work from home permanently, Mike decided to move back home. Mike couldn't live in the house that Deborah made their home any longer. He would always have the memories and his children.

"Uncle Jason!" Louise yelled out as Mike's younger brother drove up to the house. Jason had just married Michelle, his long-time girlfriend, six months ago. They lived just around the block from his parents in a duplex. The pair were building their own place at the outskirts of town, but it would be a few months before they could move into it. Michelle was really hoping to have everything set up in time for Christmas.

"How are you two!" Jason bent down to receive a hug from his niece and nephew. He and Michelle had been frequent visitors since Deborah passed. His kids were close with both of them. "Grandma and Papa won't be back until tomorrow, but Aunt Michelle is baking cookies inside; you two think you can help her out? She might need someone to help taste them."

"Yeah!" Louise took Mikey's hand as they sped across the yard, visions of sugary delights likely occluding any other thoughts. Mike smiled; those two had been through so much, but still so happy and well adjusted, mostly. They had their good and bad days like all children, but the good was far more prevalent.

"How was the drive?" Jason said with a smile, likely already knowing the answer.

"It should be a five-hour drive, four when we were younger and didn't know better. It took eight hours. Kids took it better than last Christmas, so that's an improvement." Mike shook his head but was still grinning.

"When's the moving van get here?"'

"It's all in storage for a couple of months. I gotta make sure Louise and Mikey like it here first. I can work from anywhere; if it needs to be back there, it'll have to do. Louise is going to miss her friends. It'll have to be in another house though, ours sold in a week."

"It is a seller's market. Three months with mom and dad, are they ready for that?"

"It's all mom has been talking about. Since you two aren't providing any grandkids the need to get their fill."

Jason stopped in his tracks for a moment. "About that," His eyes swiveled as if he was going to get caught passing drugs. "Don't tell mom and dad yet; we just found out today. They are not going to be the only grands around in nine months." Jason beamed proudly.

"I thought you two were going to wait until she got her master's."

"A. This is her last semester. B. We didn't think it would happen right away. I was looking forward to more trying for a baby."

"Congratulations, you are going to love being a dad."

"Don't tell mom and dad yet; I know they won't be back in town until tomorrow." Jason reiterated. "Michelle wants to tell her parents and ours at the same time. Her folks will be in town in a week."

At that same time -- Ellie

"No, sweetie, mama has got to get this finished before we go to the park. I promise I'll read that to you tonight. Why don't you go play with Aunt Cheryl and Cody for a few minutes?" It was hard to say no to her daughter when she entered the room with a book, but she was still on the clock.

"Okay," Katelynn trundled excitedly off to the front room. It was hard to believe that her little blonde clone was going to be four in a month and a half. Ellie loved Halloween, but her daughter being born on the date had given her more reasons to go all out for the spooky holiday. It was hard to get into the spirit for Katelynn's first couple of birthdays, but now she had no choice but to be buoyed by the little girl's enthusiasm. I am so lucky to have such a great daughter. Ellie pushed through a series of spreadsheets, lifting the most critical data to filter into a report for her boss.

Though the pandemic had finally abated, at least in their region, she still got to work from home three days of the week. Between her work schedule, Cheryl working from home four days a week, and coopting Heather, her best friend that professed to not liking children, they managed to care for their children without too much childcare. They only had daycare one or two days out of the week. Heather was fantastic with the three kids, even if she protested nominally. Ellie's parents or Cheryl's husband would take care of the three rowdy youngsters a few times a week, giving the three women time to work out or a rare night out on the town.

Ellie sent the completed report to her boss and then contacted him on the firm's video calling software to let him know she was done with her portion. He didn't answer, so an email would have to be good enough. She was only working a half-day today, at the insistence of her manager. A significant server issue had put them on the back foot for a report; she worked all day last Saturday to get caught up. Three half-days on a holiday-shortened week did make the time fly by.

After a brief stretch, Ellie closed the bedroom office's door and quickly changed out of her work clothes. Work from home did not typically mean working from her own cramped apartment. Cheryl and her husband Juan had a lovely spacious home to stretch out in. Grabbing her casual clothes, Ellie quickly changed. She had no planned video meetings today, and her boss couldn't care less about casual clothing if they weren't meeting with a vendor. Ellie used business clothing to help differentiate the workday from home life. She tossed her duffle aside, hoping that she could still get in a run and yoga before the end of the day; the kids had the propensity to throw off careful plans.

Stepping out into the living room, she was shocked to not hear the squealing of three children or the chorus of noisy toys they all enjoyed. Heather and Cheryl were in the kitchen, talking in low voices. Conspiring if Ellie wasn't wrong, and probably about her. "Where are the kids?" Ellie questioned, both of her friends turning with thinly veiled smiles. Definitely plotting something.

"Juan took the older two on a car ride to pick up lunch. Cody is down for a nap." Cheryl responded.

"Juan off for lunch?"

"They got the afternoon off, got his team finished with their project sooner than he thought they would."

"That's good." She kept a smile on her face as her eyes kept looking at her two closest friends. "What are you two planning?"

"Well..." Cheryl started as her eyes darted toward Heather. "Heather has an idea." Ellie couldn't help but smile. Heather was always the group's personal mastermind, but she rarely proffered up a plan herself. Cheryl and herself liked to put Heather on the spot.

"Ellie, you know we love you." Is this a surprise intervention, but for what? Ellie couldn't think of any personal vices that were weighing down on her conscience. "It's been over four years since Todd. You need to get back out there sometime. How long has it been since you got a night out on the town?" They all knew damn well that a night out on the town meant sex in Heather speak.

"I haven't really dated since Todd." She said flatly. Unless she counted a pair of terrible first dates, and when Ellie had almost hooked up at the office Christmas party before the pandemic but got cold feet. Over a year of hiding from an invisible enemy in her apartment had not provided many opportunities.

"No penis for more than four years? How are you not going crazy?" Cheryl looked dismayed.

"I am not my vibe's secret mistress." Ellie rolled her eyes. Todd, Katelynn's father, who supported them, at least fiscally, was supposed to be her fiancé. She still had the ring at the bottom of her jewelry box; perhaps it was a totem to remind her to be cautious when things seemed too good to be true. They were supposed to be married the summer before Katelynn was born. When Ellie found out she was pregnant, Todd absconded. They had even talked about kids, and both seemed to be on the same page. He disappeared in a puff of smoke, and Ellie was dumbfounded, scared, and alone. Her friends helped her through it all.

Juan discovered the real story a little later; Todd had a real family a couple states away, a wife, and three children. Ellie was the mistress; Todd had lied to her the entirety of their relationship; her blood used to boil at the mere mention of his name. Time and a loving daughter tempered that rage; she didn't want that anger to pollute her life anymore. Todd paid his child support every month thanks to something Heather's law firm took care of, but that was his only contact in three years was the monthly check. The bastard had never even seen his little girl. The thought of the man not wanting to see the adorable daughter he helped make still caused a rise if she concentrated on it.

"Ellie, it's time for you to get out there again." Heather set down her cup of coffee, looking Ellie in the eyes. "Not every guy is a Todd."

Ellie sighed loudly with a tone of exasperation; these conversations were becoming numerous since the world had started to open up again, at least in their area. "I know, it's just when do I have the time?"

"You have a great babysitter, then there are your parents and Juan and me. Even Heather has volunteered to watch Kate. You need a few nights out."

Ellie couldn't miss a pointed look between her friends. "We have an idea for a night out, even though you shouldn't wait this long." Heather shifted uncomfortably like she was hoping that Cheryl would jump in a save her. She took a deep breath before bailing on the conversation. "You know they are bringing back the costume contest at Harvest Fest this year for the first time in a decade."

Wincing at the thought, Ellie immediately shook her head. "Oh, no! Not going to happen, you two might be able to convince me to take a night out, but I certainly don't have time for a costume contest."

"Don't give us that; we already know you are making Katelynn a costume for Halloween. Don't let Todd take away something you love. That asshat doesn't deserve that." Cheryl gave her a withering gaze; sometimes, Ellie needed a kick in the ass.

"I don't have the time," Ellie stated sternly. "I am barely going to get Katelynn's costume done." To be honest, working on Katelynn's little dress had been like a relapse; she could feel the intoxicating pull of a hobby that she had all but abandoned.

"If you are not going to take us up on the free childcare for nights out, use it to do something else you love," Heather spoke up; her volunteering for childcare was new. No matter how much she protested that she didn't like kids, she was good with them. Ellie had to hide a smile; Heather's façade was showing cracks.

"I..." She couldn't think of a valid excuse; the more she sewed, the more she wanted to get back into it. The specter of Todd still hung like a dark storm cloud over it, though.

"We heard Michelle is competing." Cheryl looked with a smirk. Ten years ago, the last competition before budget cuts killed the fun, Ellie came in second to a younger woman. Although she thought she should have won, she couldn't complain about losing to such a prodigious talent.

"Really?"

"It's just a rumor, but Juan has a pretty good source; he works with her husband." There was a challenge in Heather's eyes. "You could finally win."

Ellie's love of making costumes had started when she was in middle school, making her younger brother and sister costumes to go trick or treating. Her grandmother taught her how to sew, which skipped a generation; her mother was great at many things but wouldn't trust herself to sew a button back on a blouse. Ellie had made costumes for several productions in high school, spending much of her time in the theatre department when it wasn't cheer season. After high school, her time making costumes ebbed and flowed through college. Her senior year, she stumbled into cosplay because of one of her teammates on her senior project. As she started her career, making costumes was a fantastic creative outlet. She loved her job, but it was almost a purely analytical pursuit.

The costume contest was the first time she had gotten the nerve to compete in since high school. She didn't take the blue ribbon, but being on the podium encouraged her. Ellie started to compete in cosplay competitions at various conventions; that was where she met Todd. He was a vendor at a large con that had kindly helped her out when one of her props broke while in line for the contest's finals. They managed to make a near-flawless patch in a short time. Ellie won that day, and with her chemistry with the tall, handsome vendor, she thought she would win twice.

Her hobby had been a catalyst in her love life almost as soon as she got started. While other girls on the cheer squad had dated the cliché sports stars at their high school, Ellie had found herself drawn to actors. Though she dated her fair share of guys in high school, she wasn't one to go all the way, save for a couple of fumbling attempts with a close friend. Her first real love was with a suave actor from across town at a drama convention a few months after Ellie turned eighteen. She fell head over heels for the boy before going to colleges across the state tore the blossoming relationship apart before it started. It had been a fun weeklong tryst with sneaking out of hotel rooms to find time together. Earnest but fumbling attempts at sex improved markedly as the week dwindled. Ellie occasionally wondered what happened to the man and hoped he was happy somewhere.

"If," Ellie started, "And it's a big if, I agree to this, Cheryl. You have to enter your family in the family contest on that Sunday. That includes Juan. Heather, you have to compete with me." Heather blanched visibly; she never liked to be the center of attention. Ellie tossed the challenge out, knowing that getting Juan and Heather on board would be a near impossibility.

"I'll talk to Juan; I hope you don't mind store-bought costumes with a little extra pizazz." Although Cheryl did not have excellent sewing skills, she did have an eye for decoration, which might be a more significant challenge than she imagined. She was pretty shrewd at repurposing things; Ellie kept telling her that was a touchstone of cosplay. "There is no way I could compete whatever you whip up."

Heather stood tall, determination in her brown eyes. "If it means getting you out of your house for something other than yoga, hell yes!"

Mike -- The start of October

Sweat glistened on Mike's skin as he took a seat on the back porch of his parents' house. The smell of fresh-cut grass was thankfully more potent than his own perspiration. Taking a long, greedy gulp of lemonade, he couldn't help the smile plastered on his face. Just one month back home had made his decision; this is where he belonged. Tomorrow, he would be talking to a realtor, hoping to find his family a place of their own. His parents had been very supportive, but they still needed their own space.

Louise was happier than she had been in forever; she met a great group of friends in school. Today she was on a road trip for a mother-daughter excursion. Michelle went along to serve as her surrogate mother; she had been an excellent aunt for far longer than she and Jason had been married. Grandma and Papa had taken Mikey out fishing this morning; his little man was so excited. Mikey was a rough and tumble little boy that loved all things outdoors. Camping and fishing had been Deborah's thing, but both sets of Mikey's grandparents had to be the ones to encourage him. Mike would be the first to admit that he wasn't the outdoor type, despite being a scout when he was younger.

Mike had a morning call with his boss; they were at a conference and needed an engineer to remote in to help them with the more technical aspects of a presentation. That had precluded him from going along with either expedition. Both Michelle and his parents were given strict instructions to take as many pictures as possible. He had been able to get in a run and mow the yard before his father could. The old push mower wasn't great for his dad's back, but he still insisted on being the one to take care of the yard. Mike tried to tell him to consider it payment toward rent. His father replied that he was already getting paid in the currency of more time with his grandkids.

"Just hanging around and being lazy today?" Jason appeared around the corner of the house. His parents' older Golden Retriever had not reacted at all until she saw Jason. They took their younger and more spry lab mix along with them. She then jumped to her feet and barked once before feeling embarrassed and sitting down to whine in excitement; her tail was wagging hard.

Mike leaned down and pat her on the head. "Some guard you are; you'll let anyone into this backyard. I have worked, mowed, and gone for a long run; it's not even noon yet. I thought you were going fishing."

"That was the plan, but one of the server blades crashed at work."

"Fun way to start your Saturday."

"Always. We have redundants, but I don't need to be woken up in the middle of the night when the other decides to die."

"You should really get that replaced."

"You think? I have been trying to get them to replace the servers for a year and a half now, but it's just not in the budget. It'll be amazing if we don't wait until it crashes in the middle of a workday and miss out on a ton of potential sales."