Cracks in Their Shells

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yeah, I did," he chuckled, then winced at the pain the laughter caused in his throbbing forehead. "Ow! That hurt like a shitbitcher."

*********

Logan awoke the next morning to a cold, wet nose nudging his hand. Roscoe was still wary of Logan's feet after being tripped over twice the previous day, but the call of nature made him take the risk of rousing his master. Logan started to go outside with the dog, but the bright sunlight set his head to throbbing again. He stepped back inside to let his eyes adjust to the brightness of the frosty morning. After pulling on a sweatshirt and looking outside for another minute, he decided he was ready to venture out. He went to the workshop and lit a fire in the ancient woodstove. Satisfied that it was burning properly, he closed the door behind him to let the shop warm up while he ate breakfast.

The smell of bacon and coffee welcomed him as he entered the house. Marilyn was standing at the counter cracking eggs into a bowl.

"Morning, Mom," Logan said as he poured himself a cup of coffee.

"Good morning, son," she replied. "You want your eggs moist but not runny, right?"

"Yes ma'am." He had eaten his eggs that way all his life, and she knew it. Still, she asked him for confirmation any time she had the opportunity to make his breakfast. He set some plates on the counter and retrieved the butter and jelly from the refrigerator.

"Thank you for that," Marilyn said. "What do you have on tap for today?"

"I've got to change the oil in the truck and Martin's car - they rode together so I just have to do the one this time - but I've got to let the shop warm up before I do that. I got a cabinet order a couple of days ago that I need to go measure for, but the builder won't be able to meet me until after lunch sometime. Aside from that, I'll probably just tinker in the shop until Becca gets off work. She's coming over to wrap some last-minute gifts she bought. Hey, morning, Dad." Hal had joined them in the kitchen.

"Morning, Logan. Did I hear you say Becca was coming over to bring me my gifts tonight?"

"Something like that," Logan quipped. "Speaking of gifts, I've got a present for you out in the shop. Those two reels you sent me at the end of summer were encrusted with salt. I cleaned them up and oiled them, but if you're not careful, they're going to become unusable. You can't treat them like you used to when you fished around here."

"Thanks, son. I appreciate it."

"Since we're talking about gifts, I'd like to know what Becca is getting for Christmas," Marilyn said. "Did you get her something nice?"

Logan went to a closet in the study and retrieved the jewelry box and the necklace. Since he intended to give them to Becca at Bud and Charlotte's house, his folks wouldn't get to see her open them. He had held off on wrapping them so he could show off his handiwork to his parents.

"Oh, Logan, this is beautiful," Marilyn oohed and aahed as she studied the delicate box. "You really do work your magic out there in that shop."

"Magic. I like that. Becca calls me the 'wood artist.' Since she is going to have such a nice jewelry box, I got her something to put in it when she's not wearing it." He showed her the necklace, which received positive reviews from both his parents. "I got her a few other things to open at Janice's house Christmas day, but these are the main ones." Mustering his courage to broach the subject, he produced a small, white clamshell box from his pocket. "Well, this is the main one."

Marilyn gasped as he opened the box to reveal a glistening diamond solitaire. Hal stood in pleased silence.

"Mom, Dad, I'm going to ask Becca to marry me."

Marilyn sat quietly for a moment, then said softly, "Oh, Logan. I've prayed countless prayers that you would find happiness again. Like I said last night, you'll always be my little boy and I'll always worry about you. You're sure she's the one?"

"It's a helluva lot of money to pay for something if he's not, dear," Hal said. "I'd say he's sure. Right, Logan?"

"Yessir," Logan said simply, but his face gave away his relief at how well his mother was taking the news.

"So, when are you planning on asking her?" Marilyn asked.

"No idea," Logan admitted, "but you can't let on that you know. The only person besides the three of us who knows is her grandmother." He explained Granny's role in the acquisition of the ring. "I've been carrying this ring in my pocket for almost two weeks in case a time pops up where it's natural and spontaneous. It will probably be sometime after Christmas, but we'll see how things play out."

"Rebecca Mathews. That has a nice 'ring' to it," Marilyn mused.

Logan smiled one of his characteristic wide smiles. "I think it suits her nicely."

*********

"That's an impressive bruise you're sporting there, Logan. Did Becca hit you with the frying pan?" Bud's joking only heightened Logan's good mood. It was Christmas Eve.

"No sir, it was the poker from the fireplace." Becca swatted Logan's arm.

As it had at Thanksgiving, Charlotte's kitchen was filled with the delicious aromas of the holiday spread. The meal was much more casual this time, however. Tom had smoked a pork shoulder, which Cassie was chopping and pulling for sandwiches. Crock pots with various soups and stews simmered on the countertop. Cocktail weenies, ham sliders, and a small assortment of vegetables completed the meal. A massive array of desserts threatened to collapse a side table.

"Ladies, you have outdone yourselves again, and Tom, the pork was perfect," Bud pronounced judgment on the meal. Logan concurred, "Amen to that." Everyone agreed that dessert could wait.

While the ladies were clearing the dishes, and Laura had dragged Bud into the den to watch Christmas cartoons, Logan pulled Tom to the side. They sneaked out of the house, unloaded the rockers and the swing from Logan's truck, and placed them on the porch. The sky was gray and a raw, cold wind blew out of the north. Logan wanted to get the furniture under cover in case it began to rain. Additionally, there was another large present that had to be placed under the tree in the living room without Laura seeing it. Logan and Tom unloaded the presents without being detected and went to the den to watch Rudolph with Laura and Bud. They found that the ladies had joined them.

"It's kind of surprising that this cartoon hasn't been pulled from television," Bud observed, "what with Yukon Cornelius sporting that silver Colt in his belt."

"This has always been my favorite Christmas cartoon," Logan said. "A misfit reindeer, misfit toys, and a misfit elf." He placed a bit of emphasis on the word "elf" and took a quick glance at Becca. She caught his secret message to her and giggled.

"You know, I spotted a new present under the tree," Charlotte remarked casually. "I wonder who it's for? It's pretty big."

At the mention of presents, Laura forgot about poor Rudolph and began jumping up and down. "Let's open presents now!" she shrieked.

"I thought we were all going to take naps after that big lunch," teased Bud. "I could sleep for a couple of hours."

"No, Grandpa! Can't we go ahead and open presents now? You could take a nap after we finish."

"Well, I guess I could do that," Bud conceded. "Mother, what do you think? Should we wait or open presents now?"

"Now! Now! Please Grandma, can we open them now?"

Charlotte breathed a large sigh and said, "Well, if Grandpa is okay with putting off his nap for a while, I guess we can go ahead and open presents." Laura squealed and tried to pull everyone from their seats to get them to the living room faster. She locked in on the big present as soon as she got in the living room. Never mind that there was a plethora of presents under the tree; she wanted to know who the big present belonged to.

"That one has to wait a little while," said Logan. "It's a special present."

Laura's attention quickly turned to the other gifts. Puzzles, games, a princess dress, and a plush horse came out of the boxes and bags. Becca looked at Logan, who gave her a subtle nod.

"Laura, I have a gift for you. It's in the package with the snowman paper." Laura rushed to open it. Inside was a baby doll.

"Ooh, she's pretty, Aunt Becca. Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She gave Becca a big hug.

"Did anyone figure out who the big box is for?" Becca asked.

"Let's see," answered Cassie. "It says 'To Laura from Logan.' Logan, you didn't have to get Laura anything."

"Ah, but it's Christmas, Cassie. And Christmas is for giving presents," Logan said with a smile. "Go ahead, Laura. Open it, but you may need help getting it out of the box."

Laura tore into the wrapping paper. Logan asked Cassie to help her daughter with the gift. She carefully cut the tape with a pair of scissors and gasped when she looked inside. "Oh, Logan," was all she could say as she set a beautiful doll cradle on the floor. Laura's squeals of delight lit up Logan and Becca's faces.

"That's not from a store, Laura," Becca explained. "Logan made that for you, and I made the mattress and blanket. Now your new baby has somewhere to sleep."

Laura seemed to grasp that this was a special gift. She looked at Logan and asked, "Did you really build this? All by yourself?"

"Just like Santa in his workshop," Logan answered. "I even had a special elf help me with it." Becca giggled at their constant inside joke.

"Thank you, Logan." Laura's voice was almost reverent.

Cassie seemed to be in awe as much or more than Laura. "Logan, this is too much."

He stopped her and said, "Cassie, I build a dozen or so of these to sell every Christmas. It wasn't any trouble to cut an extra set of pieces to build one for Laura. I just have one favor to ask. Laura, can I get a picture of you and me with your cradle?" She happily obliged.

"I have another special gift under the tree, Laura. It's the one in the gold wrapping paper. Will you please take it to Becca?"

Becca carefully broke through the tape and wrapping paper. What she saw inside the box took her breath away, and tears filled her eyes as she gently lifted the jewelry box from its packaging. "Oh, Logan. It's beautiful." She opened the lid and listened as the music mechanism played its tune. Suddenly smiling, she said, "I guess this is why you banished me from the workshop."

"You guess correctly, sweetie," Logan replied. "Was it worth the wait?" Becca nodded enthusiastically. "Here's something to go with it." He pulled a small box with the necklace from his pocket. Becca's eyes couldn't hold back her tears when she saw the necklace inside.

"I don't think this deserves to go in the box just yet," she giggled through a sniffle. "Will you help me with it?" Logan fumbled with the delicate clasp but finally found success. Becca thanked him with a kiss and a heart-melting smile.

Now it was Logan's turn for a present from Becca. He unwrapped the gift to find a book on the history of the J.R. Case Company, along with a double bladed, burnt orange, bone-handled Case knife.

"This is what they call the 'canoe' style, "Logan said. "I have five others like it, only with different materials for the handles."

"I noticed that those in the display case in your study were all the same, so I figured you must collect that style," Becca said. "Now, Mom and Dad have a gift they want you to unwrap." It was the last gift under the tree.

Logan opened the small but heavy package and found it to contain an antique Stanley block plane and a set of Buck Brothers chisels of various widths. He looked incredulously at the valuable tools. "Bud, Charlotte," he began, ready to scold them for buying him such an expensive gift. He searched for the words to make his scolding not sound harsh or ungrateful. Bud read his mind.

"Before you tell me that's too much to spend on you, let me inform you that they didn't cost me a dime. Those were my dad's and have been sitting in a box in the barn for years. I can't remember the last time they were used, and I knew that a 'wood artist' such as yourself would appreciate having them in your arsenal."

"Thank you, Bud, Charlotte. I love old tools. I promise I'll take good care of them." Logan took the chisels over to the window to examine the stamping on them in better lighting. He looked out the window and said loudly, "Bud! Your cows are out!"

Bud sprang from his seat and bolted out the front door. He didn't see any cows, but he did see some unfamiliar furniture sitting on the porch. Returning to the house, he grinned at Logan and said, "You lying turkey. Mother, come see what I found." They "oohed" and "ahhed" over the chairs and the swing.

"I thought you were going to use the wood from the Christmas tree for cabinets and furniture," Charlotte began. "I mean, furniture to sell."

"It was your tree, Charlotte," Logan responded. "Now you can enjoy it for a long time, definitely longer than the Christmas tree will last." Sitting in their respective rockers, Bud's and Charlotte's smiles signaled their delight with their gifts.

"As much as I'm enjoying my chair," Charlotte said after a couple of minutes of trying it out, "I'm going back inside. That wind is bone-chilling. I'm going to make a pot of coffee." The rest of the family agreed and followed her into the house. They finally felt up to dessert, then made their way back to the living room to enjoy their gifts.

"This cold weather has got me thinking," Logan said. "I need to get more firewood or else I'm going to have to start burning my cabinet stock."

"I've got a couple of dead hickory trees," Bud volunteered. "One of them is already on the ground. You can take all you need. I've got plenty in the barn to last through the winter."

"I appreciate that, Bud. Mind if I come day after tomorrow?"

"Sure thing. I'll help you and we'll load down that truck of yours."

With the firewood need taken care of, Logan relaxed on the couch. The combination of a full belly, the warmth of the fire, and an easy contentment from the joys of Christmas put him at peace. He enjoyed being with Becca's family and thought of the day when he might be able to call them his family, too. Becca sat down beside him and rested her head on his shoulder, and it wasn't long before both of them were sound asleep. Their nap didn't last long, however, because they were awakened by Laura's screaming.

"Mommy! Daddy! It's snowing!"

Was it ever. Large flakes swirled in the stiff breeze and settled on the ground, the house, and the cars. The family braved the cold again and went to the porch to watch the snow as it fell. Looking at the accumulation on the grass, Becca suddenly had a thought.

"Logan, if this keeps up, we're going to be stuck here for Christmas."

Logan checked the weather radar on his phone and concurred with Becca. "I can think of worse places to be stuck, but my family is expecting us at Janice's house tomorrow. We probably need to go before this gets any worse." With a flurry of hugs and thank you's, as well as a large supply of leftovers, Logan and Becca began their trek home. The snow continued to fall, but thankfully the roads remained mostly clear. As they drove, Becca examined the detailed work Logan had put into her jewelry box.

"Logan, why are you so good to me?" she asked.

He grinned and said, "Because I love you, and because you deserve it. Why are you so good to me?"

"Same answer," came her reply. "This has been the best Christmas I have ever had, and it's only half finished. "We get another day of it tomorrow."

In keeping with the magic of the snowfall, the deejay on the local radio station played several Christmas songs about snow. "Let It Snow," "Winter Wonderland," and "White Christmas" were a few of the songs they heard. They arrived at Becca's apartment to find three inches of snow had fallen in Boone. The snow had slowed in intensity but still fell gently.

"Tomorrow will be clear with temperatures in the mid 4os, so enjoy the snow while you can," the meteorologist on the radio announced.

"That's the best kind of snow," Logan mused. "It will be beautiful in the sunlight Christmas morning, then it will be gone and we won't have to worry about travel issues. I love to see snow but I don't like having to navigate slick roads, even with a 4 wheel drive truck."

"As long as it's gone by day after tomorrow," Becca replied. "I don't want you to have to drive back to the farm on messy roads when you go to cut firewood, plus, Marilyn is making Hal take us shopping as punishment for not telling her that he knew about us," she said with a giggle.

"Ooh, I got off easy," Logan said. "I think I would rather take a slap to the face than have to go shopping with mom." Becca giggled again.

Logan helped Becca with the leftovers while she carried her jewelry box and unlocked the door to her apartment. Once things had been put away, Becca turned to look at Logan but instead looked down at the floor shyly.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" Logan asked.

"I" she began, then paused a moment before she continued, "don't want you to leave. I want to wake up Christmas morning with your arms wrapped around me all snug and secure. I want to hear 'ho, ho, ho, Merry Christmas!' from Mr. Kringle himself. I want - you, Logan. Just you, here with me. Please?"

A far away look came into Logan's eyes as he considered Becca's request. He searched for the right words to explain why he couldn't stay, but knew that anything he said was going to break her heart. The biggest issue in his mind was that he, too, wanted nothing more than to wake up next to Becca on Christmas morning. It was finally Becca herself that supplied the answer for him.

"I know we can't, Logan. You are a gentleman, even when I'm trying to be a naughty little elf."

"The scandal would be epic," Logan said wryly. "Even Santa would have to go on the naughty list for this one." This elicited a giggle from Becca. "Just think of it this way, dearest: The quicker you get in bed and fall asleep, the quicker Christmas morning will get here, and the quicker we can see each other again."

"I guess I can live with that," Becca smiled. She gave Logan a goodnight kiss that had him rethinking his decision not to stay, but reluctantly broke the spell. "Good night, Kris. I love you."

"I love you too, darling elf."

As Becca closed and locked the door, she stood and looked at it and made a quiet declaration. "This is the last Christmas Eve I will go to bed alone. I want to marry you, Logan Mathews." Little did she know that Logan was staring at the door from the outside, silently mouthing the same thing.

*********

"He's going to ask her to marry him," Charlotte said matter-of-factly. Cassie, Tom, and Laura had left shortly after Becca and Logan, leaving Charlotte and Bud alone after the busy day.

"Oh?" replied Bud. "And just how can you be so sure?"

"Bud, surely you've seen the way she looks at him, and the way he looks at her."

"I have, and don't call me 'Shirley,'" Bud quipped.

Charlotte smiled at Bud's Airplane! reference and continued, "They will be good for one another. I was leery of how this would work out with their age difference, but it doesn't seem to be an issue at all. It's the first time I've seen her really, truly happy since she was a kid."

"Uh-huh," was all Bud would reply.

"Would you stop it with this acting like you don't see it, too? You know as well as I do that they are head over heels for one another. This is only going to end up one way, dear. We're going to be getting a new son-in-law."

"I do believe you're right, Mother," Bud finally admitted. "There is another way this could end up, though, and I don't want to see my little girl broken-hearted."

"Well, let's try not to think about that possibility. I'll bet you a dollar that he will ask you for permission to marry Becca when he comes to cut firewood in a couple of days."