Cricket Anyone? India vs Australia

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He managed to find a parking spot close to the restaurant. Madiha got out and inhaled deeply. The enticing smell of pizza cooking filled the air. She looked around. This was more like what she was expecting for a large city. The shops seemed to be only restaurants, and they all looked busy. People filled the footpath, just strolling and checking out the offerings.

Russ came up behind her and gently placed his hand between her shoulders, "This way," he said, and guided her to an Italian restaurant.

A short, swarthy man with a huge moustache greeted them at the door, "G'day Rusty! Long time, no see! Who's your friend?"

"G'day Joe. Yeah, I've been working out in the sticks. Meet Madiha. She's just turned up today from India. Had a bit of a rough trot getting here, so I thought I'd take her out for a bite."

"Well, no worries then. Glad you're here. You're lucky we had a cancellation." Joe guided them through the crowded interior to a small table. "Have a squiz at the menu Madiha, and I'll be back soon to get your order. Drinks first?"

Russ nodded and ordered a beer. He looked at Madiha, who asked for the same. She thought, 'When in Australia...'

The ice-cold drinks quickly turned up, and she had a tentative sip from the glass while reading the menu. She wasn't much of a beer drinker, but this was quite nice for a hot day. Madiha examined the menu and couldn't believe the meal options available. "This is amazing. So different to an Indian pizza place. This one is like a combination of the entire world. Tabasco, satay, Neapolitan, tandoori... And a chocolate pizza for dessert. Wow."

Russ smiled, "I'm glad you approve. They do a really good trad pizza, plus some new things. So what looks good to you? By the way, I'm shouting."

Madiha looked oddly at him, "You're shouting? I know it's noisy in here but it's not that bad."

Russ had been taking a drink from his bottle when she spoke. He snorted with laughter and quickly grabbed a napkin to catch the beer that had come out his nose. "Sorry about that. That's funny. Umm, I guess you haven't been to Australia before?"

"No. I've been to America a couple of times. Does that count?" she replied.

"Oh no. Completely different. Ok, I'd better apologise. You probably didn't understand half of what I was saying earlier. I assumed you knew what I was talking about when you didn't pull me up - sorry, ask questions."

"Well, I didn't want to say anything to the man who was saving me from a slow death on the side of the road. I did wonder about the slab comment."

"Well, we can talk about Aussie language 101 over dinner. So, what do you think you would like?"

She went back to the menu, "Well, I'm not a snob and I think pineapples and pizzas would go well together so a small Hawaiian please, but which monster would put avocados on a pizza?"

"Well, I'm offended!" she heard Joe huff behind her. He leaned down and whispered in her ear, "Actually, I'm not. People ask for it, so we make it. Personally, I can't stand it. That and artichokes. Erggg."

He stood up and took their order, "It'll be out in about twenty minutes."

"Ok," said Russ, taking another sip of his beer and pointing to the bottle, "This is a stubbie of beer. A small bottle. A large bottle is called a long neck - or sometimes a longie. A can of beer, and only of beer, is a tinnie. A slab is a box of twenty-four stubbies and weighs about fifteen kilograms. More or less, depending on the brand. So your box of training materials, at twenty k-g's, is a bit more than a slab. There will be a test later. It's mandatory for all new arrivals."

Madiha looked horrified, "Really?"

"No, not really. Not for visitors. Only for prospective permanent residents," He chuckled, "Australian language confuses people. We tend to shorten words, use all sorts of different phrasing, and variations of English Cockney rhyming slang. I work with a lot of people from all over the world and it takes them a bit of time to work out what Australians are talking about - if we don't back off and make it easy to understand."

He took another sip. "So if I'm shouting you dinner, it means I'm paying. No arguments. If I say something you don't understand, just raise a finger. I won't be offended."

She raised a finger. "So you're shouting me dinner which means you are going to pay for my meal. And you drove me here. And you helped me this afternoon. What can I do to thank you?"

Russell shrugged and looked at her in the eye, "Tell me a bit about yourself. Where you're from, what you do, how long are you here, what do you want to do while you're here. I dunno. Just have a chat over a nice meal." He looked out the window at the bustling crowds. "I've been having dinners for one for a while, so it's nice to talk with someone who's not work-related."

Madiha sat back. She wasn't sure what to think of his words. Most professional men in India, and particularly in the USA, either talked down at her or just ignored what she had to say. Others just saw the sexy woman and wanted her body. Even her visits overseas basically had her having a one night fuck with guys that weren't interested in anything besides her vagina and boobs. This was refreshingly different.

She explained her background and the path that had led her to this point. Madiha didn't plan on giving up too much information about herself, but she found herself just talking. Russ seemed genuinely interested in her. She did leave out her erotic adventures. That was too much information for a first meeting.

She stopped when Joe bought the two pizzas and a loaf of garlic bread over. "Enjoy!" he said, smiling, "And let me know what you think. Bread's on the house for the lovely lady."

"Thank you," Madiha said, smiling at Joe, "It looks wonderful." She took a bite, and her eyes opened wide in surprise.

"Oh wow! This is amazing! This has to be the best pizza I've ever had. Anywhere." She started devouring her meal.

Russ looked on in amusement, "Joe does a good job. He'll be happy with your compliment. Would you like to try mine? It's a meat lover's though - it has beef on it. A lot of beef. I'm making an assumption you're Hindu?"

Madiha cocked her head and cast an appreciative eye at his meal. Russell got the distinct impression she was considering leaping over the table and attacking his dinner. "We can have dessert. If you're still hungry..."

"Ooo, yes please. I'd love to try yours. I am Hindu, but I cheat a bit by having some beef occasionally."

Russ passed over a slice and watched Madiha examine it, then tentatively take a nibble. The slice then magically disappeared. "This is good. Really good. I think I could live on this," sighed Madiha.

"So what sort of pizza do you get in India?" asked Russell curiously.

"Domino's and Pizza Hut are the big stores. No beef or pork. Chicken and vegetarian only," Madiha mumbled with her mouth half full of her meal.

"No comparison, if they're like the Australian version," Russ chuckled.

They ate the rest of their meal in silence, both just enjoying the unexpected company.

"So, you have work. What else are you planning to do?" Russ asked after Joe had cleared away the plates.

"Stay away from the local traditional Indian community as much as possible. We women are shackled by our society's constraints, but personally, I'm a feisty one who doesn't give a fuck to them all..."

Russ was taking another drink, and he started to choke as she said that. "Really?" he laughed after recovering from a coughing fit, "I think you'd better lay off the beer. You are getting a bit feisty." He leaned over the table and clinked the base of his stubbie against her glass. "I think you're going to enjoy Australia. So what else?"

"I want to do Aussie stuff in Australia before I leave. Like petting a kangaroo and a koala, visit the Sydney Opera house, go to Bondi Beach and swim. That sort of thing."


Russ looked at Madiha with a bemused expression, "Ok. I can see that. But Sydney? And Bondi? There's something like, I dunno, a helluva lot of coastline, and you want to visit the one kilometre with the highest number of tourists per square metre? I know much better beaches in Victoria with hardly anyone on them. And they won't take two days to get there."

He scratched his nose which still tickled from the beer. "Tell you what. This is entirely up to you. No pressure. I'd like to help you get settled first, then you can figure out how much free time you have once you've talked to your team here. Then you can do the touristy thing. I work for the railways, so I can be all over the state on odd days. If our timetables align, I can show you around. Now, I have to head to work tomorrow night but I can take you to the market to do some shopping in the morning."

He held up a hand as Madiha started to protest, "I'm going anyway. It's no drama - not a problem." Russ corrected himself, "If you want, after dinner I'll drop by the closest supermarket so you can grab some other bits and pieces. I guess you don't have anything for brekky. Breakfast... Sorry."

'Hirogaru yami no naka kawashiatta kakumei no chigiri...' Madiha jumped and dug through her handbag to find her phone. It was a text message from Neha, along with a number of emails from Amit and Ranjani apologising for her phone not being connected. Neha's message was that she wanted Madiha to Skype as soon as she could. She wanted to know if Madiha was all right.

"I'm assuming your phone's back online. And the Death Note theme is your ringtone?" Russ asked, smiling at the familiar music.

"Yes, I suppose it's come back online right now to annoy me. My friend, Neha, put DN on my phone for her call tone. She loves it. I really haven't watched too much of the show." Her phone went off again, this time as a Skype call from Neha. She looked at Russ, who just nodded.

"Better let them know you're ok."

Madiha answered the call and quickly spoke in Hindi before Neha could talk, "Hi Neha. Speak in Hindi, not English. I'm having dinner with an Australian man!"

Neha gasped, "Well, you work quickly. You haven't been in the country for twelve hours and you're already out on a date! So what's he like? I want pictures. And details!"

Madiha flicked the camera around and focussed on Russ, who was looking out the window. She then panned around the restaurant to hide the fact they were talking about him. "It's not a date. It's just dinner. He saved me from being cooked on the side of the road. You have no idea how hot I was. I really thought I was going to die."

Neha laughed, "Sure. It's not a date. I believe you. He's gorgeous for an Australian. Is that really his hair colour? It's so red! And where are you? It looks busy."

"It's a pizza restaurant. I had a ham and pineapple pizza. It was delicious. I don't know if I could have Domino's ever again." She quickly explained that she was fine, and everything would be ready for Monday. Neha said that she had talked to Amit, who had yelled at Ranjani, who had reminded their telecommunications company that Raspberry Infotech was paying a premium price for their service and they weren't the only phone company in India. And magically, Madiha's phone was connected on a weekend.

Madiha terminated the call with a promise to Neha to keep her updated, "Sorry Russ. That was my friend, Neha. She was worried."

Russ waved his hand dismissively in the air, "No worries. It's good they're concerned about you. Dessert? They do a mean chocolate pizza."

The day was catching up with Madiha, so she declined. "No thanks. I'm getting really tired, and I think I really need to sleep. I'd like to..." she stopped to think of his wording, "grab some bits and pieces for brekky, and go home."

Russ laughed, "You're catching on. We'll make an Aussie of you real quick. Fair enough, let's go." He waved at Joe, who came over from behind the bar.

"Leaving so soon? And no dessert? I'm hurt!" he said sadly.

"I have to get some sleep, but I will come back. It was delicious!" Madiha consoled him.

"Good to hear. I like a happy customer." He turned to Russ, "Take care of my new favourite lady. I expect to see you back here soon."

Russell paid, against the protests of Madiha and Joe. "It's my shout, and you," he said, pointing at Joe, "will go broke if you keep offering people free food."

Joe threw his hands in the air, complaining that it was his restaurant and if he wanted to spoil a lovely lady, well, it was his business. But he did accept Russell's credit card.

Russell and Madiha quietly walked back to his car and drove off to the closest supermarket. Russ picked up two baskets and handed one to Madiha. "Here you go. Probably just get the basics for tonight."

They walked up and down every aisle, Madiha looking curiously at the goods, which were different to what she was used to. Even her American trips hadn't involved her doing a lot of shopping, so the range of Western products was fascinating.

"I guess just some bread, butter, jam and tea. Maybe some hummus. That will probably be enough for tomorrow." she said thoughtfully to Russ, who had picked up some items for his use.

"What, no Vegemite? You have to eat toast and Vegemite!" he joked. "Have you ever tried it?"

"No, I've never tried it. It has a bad reputation among tourists as one of the worst things they tried in Australia, while regular Aussies have developed this acquired taste for it," she shuddered. "I guess it's like how I hated sushi the first time I tried it, and slowly started loving it."

"Pretty much, I guess. There's a few things I've tried that are popular in other countries, but I wouldn't try again," he agreed. "But if you can deal with a hot Madras curry, you should be able to handle Vegemite."

They walked around the store until they had what they both needed and headed to the registers. "You're not shouting. This is my shopping," Madiha said firmly as Russ tried to put her things on his transaction.

"Fair enough," he shrugged. "I'm not going to argue the toss."

They drove back to Madiha's apartment, she still marvelling over how a city with nearly five million people could seem so empty. Russell stopped in front of her building. "Here you go. I hope you had a good night. And thanks for the company. I enjoyed it."

Madiha smiled back, which seemed to illuminate the car. "I should be thanking you. It was a fantastic day. To save me from heatstroke, then take me out for a wonderful dinner and shopping? Just, thanks."

"Well, shucks ma'am. It's a right pleasure. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. All in a day's work," Russ replied in a fake American drawl. In his normal voice, he said, "I've got to leave by about two tomorrow. How about I pick you up about ten?"

Her mind worked back over their conversations. "Umm... No worries?" Madiha looked at her white knight, then impulsively leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, "Thanks. I'll meet you here tomorrow. Bye!" She reluctantly got out of Russell's car, waved, and went through the apartment block's entrance.

Russell stared at her as she disappeared into the building. "Well, that was nice. Unexpected, but nice," he said out loud to no one. He drove the short distance to his building and parked in the basement. He reluctantly got out. There was a faint floral smell in the car, just over the smell of old takeaway fish and chips.

Russell worked as a railway signal technician for an engineering construction company. It paid reasonably well, but not enough to really afford the apartment he was living in. After he and his girlfriend broke up about eight months ago he had been relegated to couch surfing with his friends and relatives. He hated imposing on people, but then a guy in his cricket team's dad made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

John's parents had four apartments in one building they rented out through Airbnb. Initially, it made them a lot of money, but they had a few bookings that turned into huge parties. The apartments got damaged, the neighbours were upset, and John's parents lost face. Coming from a Chinese background that, and losing money, was inexcusable. The offer was for Russ to live in a fully furnished apartment for a nominal rent, and he monitored the tenants. He had a nice place to stay close to work, and they got a tax deduction for a caretaker. And since he started, there were only a couple of incidents which were quickly resolved. Everyone was happy.

The following morning Madiha checked the weather app and was shocked to see that the maximum temperature was only going to be in the low 20's. She dressed in jeans and a more conservative t-shirt and went downstairs. A different lady was on reception who smiled at her and said good morning.

A black Volkswagen hatchback pulled up in front of her building and Russ got out. "Morning Madiha," he said cheerily. "Sleep well?"

"Good morning Russ. Yes, thank you," she said as she slipped into the passenger seat. "A very good sleep."

Russ jumped back in and drove off. They both subtly looked at each other, trying to reaffirm their impressions from the day before. Madiha could not believe how red Russ's hair was. She had to resist the urge to run her fingers through his short locks looking for any signs he dyed it. Her subconscious slyly suggested other areas of his body she should check for hair colour. She told it to shut up.

On the driver's side, Russ casually glanced at Madiha as they chatted about dinner. He thought she looked great, but it was her attitude that really attracted him. Feisty was a good description. His ex was a gorgeous blond who had all the personality of a wet sock. That was also a good description of their sex life. He may as well have been fucking a wet sock for all the interest she took. Russ never claimed to be an expert in bed, but Sue didn't give him any help about ways to liven things up for her. He had heard of lesbians and others giving oral sex being called 'carpet munchers'. It was like he had been munching a real carpet for all the reaction he got. His earlier girlfriends loved his attention down there. Go figure...

And Madiha liked cricket, which was his first love. He sneaked a glance at her tight jeans as they were stopped at some traffic lights. She had some awesome curves. He wouldn't mind bowling this maiden over.

He found a park at the Queen Victoria market and pulled a two-wheeled trolley out of the car. "Shopping jeep. We were lucky today getting a park so close. Sometimes it can be a long walk and I really hate bags cutting into my fingers. I suggest you get one as well. Particularly with no car. And an aversion to taxis," he explained, smiling.

He led Madiha to the fruit and vegetable stalls, through the meat area, then finally through the dairy hall. It was all fascinating. The food was one thing, but the different cultures she spotted intrigued her as well. Australians of English heritage naturally, but other Europeans, Africans, Middle Eastern, and so many Asian cultures. There were probably others, but she couldn't identify them all. And they all spoke English. Some were harder to understand than others though. She laughed to herself. Russell was a native English speaker, and he had been nearly impossible to understand at times.

They stopped at a stall and Russ bought them both a Turkish borek for lunch. "So, have you got enough fresh stuff? I'm going to have to go soon," Russ asked, looking at the time on his fitness tracker.

"Yes, thanks. I think I have enough. Can you show me where the closest store is, so I can get some other bits and pieces when I need to? And this is very good," Madiha said, biting into her lunch.

They walked back to his car and Russell headed home, pointing out the tram stops and other useful places along the way. He drove past the closest supermarket, "It's about a ten-minute walk," he explained and drove back to her apartment. "Would you like a hand to get your stuff upstairs?"