Dan's Story Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sam shakes Dan's shoulder to wake him. "Having bad dreams, there buddy? You're broke out in a sweat and you was thrashing about. Thought you were having a fit, there for a moment." He chuckles.

Dan: "Whew! Not one of your pleasanter dreams, I'll tell you. So you finally got up, did you? What time is it?

Sam: "About 1045, I guess...Uh, thanks for the fruit."

Dan: "How'd you know it was me? Maybe Jack's wife brought it, hmmm?" Sam just grins. Dan continues, "So what's with you and Lorena? You know her from somewhere else?" Sam shakes his head in the negative. "You mean to tell me you can stand at the door of a supermarket and pick up a girl under her husband's nose? Come on! Get serious!"

Sam: "You don't understand, do ya? Guess I'll have to introduce you to some facts of life...maritime style. This region of Canada is the poor sister. We don't have jobs and we don't have industry, unless you count Irving's refinery. Anyway, when a family can't afford to keep their kids in school, they have to go out and find jobs. There ain't any. So the boys run off to Montreal or Toronto to find work. The only ones who stay home and marry the local sweetheart are the lucky ones who find work or the lazy drunks like Jack. The women accept the bums because there ain't no other men around. You haven't been out there and you'll probably never notice cause you're married, but Clay now, Clay will find out that he can just take his pick. Do you think he would have picked up a beauty like Theresa his first night in town in Toronto or Montreal? You know what it was like when we was in basic. We did alright but it wasn't handed to us."

Dan: "You mean even the married good looking girls are checking out the available men?"

Sam: "Not just available, but in uniform. To them that's a possible ticket out of the Maritimes. To catch a guy in the service is like winning the Irish Sweepstakes. They'll do anything to keep a man like that interested in them! Anything!"

Dan: "Wow! You guys have got it made."

Sam: "Sure. The single women here outnumber the available men by at least four to one. But why am I educating you on this? It's because you asked about Lorena. She's willing to take some chances, husband or no, kids or no, to maybe catch a guy in uniform. She and a million like her are sick and tired of their lifestyle" he shrugs, "and I play the game."

Dan: "And you say that it's like that all over the Maritimes? Is it like that in St. John, too?"

Sam: "Not as bad. We have Irving Oil there and there are jobs. Women still outnumber the men but not by as much as in a place like Summerside."

Dan tells Sam about all the apartments being offered in the paper and they look at the ads. Sam says they should talk Clay into taking them into town and they could check some of them out, but Dan tells him that they are on cleanup duties. They're going to tackle the job after lunch. "Maybe when we get that done, if its not too late and Clay doesn't have other plans."

They wander over to the mess hall and use the payphone at its entrance to call a few of the ads. Dan promises a few that he will try to get in some time on the weekend to check them out. Then they go for lunch. Clay joins them and they eat together. It feels to Dan like they're back at 1R&CS.

After lunch Dan and Clay go to work cleaning floors in the barracks. Clay wants to get the job done because he has called Theresa and is taking her out to supper later. He does agree to take Dan in to town tomorrow and help him check on some of the apartments available. They finish up by 1500 and Clay goes to shower. Dan decides to do the same and they continue to gab between shower stalls.

Dan: "Have you met any of the fellows we will be working with, yet?

Clay: "Met the chief over at the tech shop and a couple of the guys that were working on a receiver, APS 20 I think he called it. It's the search radar they're using in the Neptunes; American design and the very latest technology. Very hush hush. Fellow told me that when I was looking over his shoulder at the schematics. Said those diagrams were 'TOP SECRET'. All I could tell from a glance was there were a lot of amplification circuits and some of those new fangled transistors. I suppose we're going to have to take advanced training in them now! Always something new! They already have a list of the new guys coming here. I think we are the only ones direct from 1R&CS but there seems to be two others that are transferring in from Nova Scotia. Ones a corporal and the other's an LAC (LEADING AIRCRAFTSMAN). There was quite a bunch of you guys that came in together?"

Dan dries himself off and says, "Eighteen. Most of them aero engine, a few machinist and aero techs. Think we even have an AFP (AIR FORCE POLICE) in the group. She doesn't stack up to Annie, you know, the one Sam and I chased in Montreal. Now that skirt was from the Prairies and she knew all the moves. She was a friend with Kay down in St. Jean, you know. That's when Kay and I were a thing ...that British accent, you know. Before Charlie and his craziness. If we only knew then what was going to happen. Poor Kay! Poor Charles!"

Clay: "And poor Dan ...no car!" and he snaps Dan with his towel. They roughhouse their way out into the barracks and part for their bunks. Clay gets dressed and calls, "See you later." Dan curls up on his bunk with a science fiction novel and reads for a while. Sam comes in and flops down on his bunk. He turns, places his arms behind his head and stares at the upper bunk. Dan comes to the end of a chapter and glances over at him.

Dan: "Well, what did you find to do with yourself all afternoon?"

Sam doesn't answer for a while so Dan starts reading again. "I went down to the hanger line and climbed all over one of those P2V7s. You know they have a lot of equipment in one of them. That dome in the nose hides a whopping big search radar antenna and that stinger tail is a M.A.D. (Magnetic Anomaly Detector) antenna. I was chatting with another radar tech and he showed me how that plane drops sonobouys into the sea and then signals from it are sent back to the plane through that stinger tail antenna. The sonobouy sends out a sonic signal and the echoes are picked up and transmitted back up to the plane. It's like underwater radar. I think we're going to enjoy working on that and he said that radar techs occasionally get a chance to test the equipment in flight ...for calibrations and such. And to top it all off, we get paid extra to do it! Flight pay! I would pay them for the privilege to fly in those babies! Don't tell anybody I said that!" He laughs. I met a bunch of other techs, all trades, down in Servicing. They say that's where we'll be starting, probably early next week."

This is a lot for Sam to divulge all at one time and he runs out of steam. Dan says, "By the way, Clay says he will take me in tomorrow to check out some apartments. Want to come along for the ride?

Sam: "Naw. But I might go in tonight after supper. Haven't decided yet."

Dan goes back to reading and Sam to staring at the top bunk. The Corporal comes in and asks Dan, "AC1 Miller, where's your partner? You two blokes did a fine job on the barracks."

Dan: "Thank you, Corporal. AC1 Barclay has gone in to town. A heavy date, I believe."

Cpl.McNiven: "Ai, and you'll tell him what I said, eh lad?"

Dan: "I will indeed... and if you have a few minutes I'd like to go over something with you." He draws out yesterday's paper. "Do you know the town of Summerside well? I'm seeking an apartment so as to bring my new wife here but I don't know the street names and it's difficult to figure where an apartment is located. In the ads they just give a street address."

Cpl.McNiven: "Oh, Ai lad. Come ta ma room. I've a map o the town, I ave."

The two of them head to his room to study the map. Dan brings the paper and they look for the bus route, the streets near it and the location of apartments in the town. Sam comes by on his way to the mess hall and Dan calls to him, "Hold on a minute and I'll join you." They go to supper together.

After supper Sam decides to do some laundry instead of going in to town. Dan reads and they spend a quiet evening. They join a card game in progress about an hour before lights out and lose a buck or two. Neither of them hears Clay come in. They are fast asleep.

SUNDAY: 0830 HOURS

Dan wakes early because he has to use the washroom. It's Sunday morning and traditionally no one stirs too early, unless to attend mass or if on duty. One other airman's in the washroom and Dan speaks with him. It turns out that the other fellow has come in from Montreal, from St. Jean, as a matter of fact and is a cook. He's starting work this morning in the kitchen. He asks if Dan knows where they're housing the new female arrivals. More specifically he was looking for the Air Force Policewoman who had been on their plane. Dan says he isn't sure but he imagines they're settled in the female barracks. He heads off to work and Dan back to his bunk.

He browses through the articles in the local paper, then around 0930 he notices that Clay's up and about. They leave for breakfast together. A moment after they're seated, Sam joins them.

Sam: "I've decided to go into town after all." To Clay, "Can you drop me at Lorena's?"

Clay: "Sure thing. What're you going to do there today, if you don't mind my asking?"

Sam: "I don't mind you askin!" ...and he says no more.

It's quiet for a moment, and then Dan shrugs and says to Clay, "I'd like to check some of the apartments that are located on the bus route. Until we get the car down here, I'll be using the bus to get around. When we get settled, I'll take some leave and we'll fly up to London, have Marie's parents pick us up and drive the car back. That's how we think it'll work best. I was going to bring the car down to start with but it would have left her without wheels. Didn't seem right, since it's really her car."

Clay: "Any time you're ready, give me a shout." They finish breakfast and go back to the barracks.

Within an hour they're headed into town. They stop at Lorena and Jack's but Sam insists they just drop him off. They agree to check with him before they head back to the base. Sam grunts approval.

Dan and Clay go on into town and take the first street left. Up half a block is the first apartment they want to check out. Dan goes to the door but no one is home. He comes back to the car and says, "No one home. We'll have to check back on that one later. I'd like to see it. It's supposed to be furnished. Let's check the next one. Turn right and over about two blocks should be the street."

They drive the distance and arrive in front of a two-story house with a large lawn. Dan goes to the door and a tall, thin, gray haired man answers his first ring of the bell in his fifties in slacks, shirt and button up sweater. Dan thinks he must be awfully hot and he does appear to be sweating.

Dan: "Good day, Sir. I'm here to inquire about the partially furnished apartment you have for rent in the paper." He lifts the paper up and glances at it.

Man: "Yes. I'll be right out and show you." He steps back and closes the door leaving Dan standing on the porch. In a moment he comes out and directs Dan to follow him. They go around the side of the house and follow a sidewalk between the house and the lawn. At the back of the house they come to what must have been at one time a garage or carport with access to a side street. Now it's a self contained apartment totally separated from the main house, but joined to it by a breezeway covered with ivy. They step inside the apartment and are in the kitchen. To the right through an arch, is a small living room. To the left is a hall with bathroom and two bedrooms leading off it. Near the last bedroom is a back door. It's furnished with appliances including a washer and dryer and a kitchen table and chairs. Dan really likes it but when he hears the price, his enthusiasm drops. He promises to let them know within a few days because he has to call his wife before any decision can be made. They shake hands and Dan returns to the car.

Dan: (to Clay) "Fantastic! I like it, but too expensive. Damn! Lets check out this next one." He indicates another ad that has been circled in the paper. "Back to the main drag and down near the harbor."

They go down the main street just past Gaudette's and turn right, then right again. Dan steps out of the car and hears gulls wheeling overhead. They're just one block from the harbor and the sea. The homes look old and weathered and the tang of salt air is bracing. A sharp breeze catches Dan's sleeves as he goes through a gate in front of an old two-story ivy covered house. The sidewalk is broken and uneven and the porch is dark behind the vines. He raps on the door. A sharp-nosed little lady in her mid sixties opens the door and says, "Whatya want?"

Dan holds up the paper and says, "You have an apartment for rent? Furnished?"

She eyes him up and down, "Sure do, dearie! Just you and your friend there in the car?"

Dan: "No, it's for me and my wife."

She looks disappointed, "No kids? Don't want no kids upstairs banging and bumping around!"

Dan: "No. We're newly married. No 'kids'", he imitated her inflection.

She glances at him sharply, then says, "Come with me." and she goes around the side of the house to a set of outdoor steps hidden by ivy that go to the second floor. They climb the stairs and enter a small entranceway with a coat rack. Ahead is a hall with a bedroom to the left and the combination living/dining room on the right. Past the bedroom on the left is a bathroom on the left and then a small bedroom at the back.

On the right is a small kitchen that is open to the dining/living area and at the end of the hall is a closet and the back door to a fire escape.

The apartment is furnished with old furniture that doesn't appear to be in very good condition. The rent is cheap for a furnished place but Dan knows that Marie would not like any of it, the stairs, the old furniture or the neighborhood. He says he does not think that it's what he's looking for and leaves. In the car he says to Clay, "Wow, I love the atmosphere and the closeness of the sea and the harbor, but what a mess! Marie would scream if I rented a place like that. Let's go for a hamburger, my treat, and then check out that first one again?"

Clay: "Suits me to a T. Let's go." They pull around the corner towards the dock and the cafe where Clay met Theresa. They go inside but Clay is disappointed. Theresa's not there. There are some fishermen in one corner and some tourists at the counter. Dan orders and they sit back to enjoy the harbor scene out the windows.

Clay: "I can't get over my good fortune. You know, she was sitting right there at the counter when I came in and it was like fate, like a magnet drew us together. I smiled at her, she smiled at me and BANG, it happened!

Dan: "Were you in uniform?"

Clay: "Sure, but that wasn't it! It was chemistry. We were just meant to be. Kismet, and all that stuff. You know what I mean?"

Dan: "Yah. Hope you haven't proposed to her yet." He grins.

Clay: "Don't be silly. We've only just met. But someday I might. ...I just might!"

Their burgers arrive and they start munching. "Have you met her parents yet?"

Clay: "I met her Dad here at the dock. I haven't met her mother yet. We've been meeting here. I had hoped she'd be here today, but no luck." They finish their burgers and pop and leave the cafe.

They drive back up through town to the first place they had checked where nobody was home. Dan goes to the door with paper in hand and turns the buzzer. Brggggg! He waits and is about to knock when a portly lady in her forties opens the door with a smile. "You must be the nice young man who called about the apartment." She says. "Mister Miller?"

Dan: "Yes. That's me. I wonder if I might have a look at it today?"

Lady: "Oh yes, but do come in. Would you join me for a cup of tea? I've just put the kettle on. By the way, I'm Mrs. Henshaw, but my friends call me Irma."

Dan: "Well, its certainly nice to meet you, Mrs. Henshaw, bu..."

Irma: "Irma, please! I won't know who you are talking to if you call me Mrs. Henshaw. Mr. Henshaw was killed a few years ago, right out at the base where you're working. It was a construction accident, and since then I am plain Irma to everyone."

Dan: "I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. You must miss him a great deal. How unfortunate for you."

Irma: "And for him, but time has passed and I have my Cyril. Come Cyril, and meet the nice man. Here kitty, kitty, kitty." She calls. In troupes a large tortoise-shell tomcat, which rubs against her leg and purrs. He watches Dan speculatively and stays by her leg.

Dan: "As I was going to say, I really don't have time for tea. A friend of mine is driving me around today and I'm trying to see those places available while I have a ride, but thank you for your offer."

Irma: "Then let's go right down to the apartment", and she proceeds to the back door. They go down her back steps off her porch and step down one step under the porch. There is a door leading into the basement. She opens the door into a bright kitchen. As they stand in the entrance there is a wide window on their right that lets in the sun until noon. Across the kitchen to the left is the bathroom. In front of them is a door to a large long living room. Two doors are in the far wall of it that leads to two bedrooms. The master bedroom is spacious, the other a bit smaller. The furniture is fairly modern and comfortable looking. The living room has a long, low window on the east to match the one in the kitchen. The master bedroom is dark, since it does not have any window, but the smaller bedroom has a low long window facing west. Dan feels right at home with the furniture and layout of the place. Irma quotes him a very reasonable rental price and Dan says he'll have to consult with his wife, but thinks the place will suit them fine.

Irma: "The late Mr. Henshaw built this apartment with his own two hands and felt it would help us to put away some retirement money. Now it provides me with a tidy income and some company at times. I'm looking forward to meeting your wife, if she's anything like you."

Dan: "I think you'll like my wife. She's a lot like me; at least I think she is. I'll let you know about the apartment as soon as I've talked with her."

They exit the apartment and Dan goes to the car to relate to Clay his good fortune, "And imagine, it's only half a block from where I'll catch the bus to work. I think this is going to be the one. Let's go see what Sam's been up to."

They drive back out to Lorena and Jack's place. The screwdriver is in the door and Jack's car isn't there. As they are pondering what to do next, Nana comes out of her place and waves them over.

Nana: "The kids all packed up their beach stuff and went out to Brown's Beach. You know where to find it?"

Dan looks at Clay, who shakes his head no, and says, "I guess not. Is it far?"

Nana: "You come on in. I'll get Edgar up and he'll go with you. He'll want to go out there anyway."

Dan looks at Clay who shrugs and says, "Why not?" They follow Nana into the shack. Inside the door is one big room divided by a heavy curtain, but most noticeable is the dirt floors. They can't believe their eyes. Nana is, of course, barefoot again, and she goes behind the curtain to call Edgar. When she comes out she offers them coffee, but they tell her that they've just ate and don't feel like any. They thank her and stand around waiting for Edgar. He comes out looking for a shirt and Nana tosses him one she has been mending on an old treadle sewing machine. He slips it on and says, "Let's go!" He's dressed in black slacks, sandals and an unbuttoned shirt. Dan and Sam feel overdressed in his presence as they pull out the driveway.