Dan's Story Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rob: "If you guys are finished with that, we better get some work done before supper."

They report to the counter for Electronic Repairs and find that there are only two work orders to be done by them. Rob explains how they draw items from stores and taking the top work order, he gets a component, a flashlight and a circuit board from the parts man. They go back into the coffee room and Rob talks with one of the aero engine techs. They are only using two Auxiliary Power Units (APUs) tonight so one is still sitting in the hanger. They go into the hanger, climb on the APU, start it up and head out down the hanger line. The Neptunes are parked in a row on the apron in front of the tower and Rob spots the one indicated on the work order. He checks that nobody is in or around the aircraft, and then applies the power plug from the APU to the plane. Climbing a ladder into the craft, he shows them where the search radar components are located, makes sure they are switched on, and then fires up the radar. A blank, black screen lights up with a few luminous flickers but no display. He nods his head and checks some cable connections. Still the same.

Rob: "Either one of you hotshots know what's wrong here?"

Sam: "Sure, could be a gain amplifier or could be low voltage." He was guessing, of course, because he had noted what components Rob had drawn from stores.

Dan: "I wouldn't be so quick to change components. There are still a lot of cable connections between here and the antenna. Think I'd check them first.

Rob smiles and says, "Go ahead. Think you can find them all?"

Dan: "I'll take a stab at it."

Rob: "O.K. Sam, you stand by here at the set and stomp on the floor if you start to get a display. We're going cable hunting."

Dan stands back while Rob opens a trap door, then they crawl into the gloomy belly of the craft. Dan starts studying cable bundles, but is stumped. Rob tells him to move forward to the nose of the aircraft. Half standing they go forward till the walls close in on both sides. Then Rob opens another trap door that leads down into the radome, the bulb on the nose of the plane. "See where the cables leave from behind the feed horn and pre-amp", says Rob. Dan takes the flashlight and studies the maze of wiring. "O.K., I think I see the first connector. I'll reach down and make sure it's tight." and he does so. There comes a thumping from up above them and Rob says "Bravo! Well done. You stay here and put some of this 'Lock-Tite' on the threads of that connector and I'll go tell our buddy we've found the problem. When you put it back together, I'll thump on the floor to let you know its making connection. Got it?"

Dan: "O.K. It should only take a moment to pull that connector, gook it up and sock it back together." He takes the tube of 'Lock-Tite' from Rob.

When he completes the job and hears a resounding thump on the floor, he comes back up top and the other two are just finishing a routine check on the performance of the set. Satisfied, they pack up their tools and spare parts, and then leave the aircraft. Disconnecting the power, they head back in to servicing.

Dan: "That was an easy one."

Rob: "You bet, and I'm going to let you take all the credit. You can make up the report on that one. I'll check it over for you."

Dan: "Thanks."

Sam: "Lucky guess!"

Dan: "Not really. It only stands to reason that you would check all the cable connections before pulling it apart. At least, that's what I would do."

Sam: "Yah, guess you're right."

They re-enter Servicing and Rob goes to turn in the components he didn't use. He leaves the work order with Dan to fill in the 'REMEDY' portion and sign it. Dan fills it out and shows it to Rob. It simply states that a loose connection at the pre-amp stage of the search radar caused the fault and was tightened. Set was checked out and is now serviceable. Rob says it's correct and looks at his watch. Its 1735 so Rob says, "Who wants to go to supper first?" Dan and Sam shrug their shoulders so he says for them both to go and he will hold down the fort till they get back. He has his lunch with him anyway and he says he prefers his wife's cooking.

Dan and Sam go for supper to the mess hall. They run into Clay and he relates his day's work for them while they eat. They catch him up on the results of their charges and tell him how lucky he is not to have been charged as well. By 1820 they are heading back down the hill to servicing. It's a beautiful summer evening with light sea breezes, but some heavy clouds are hanging off to the south. It looks like it may rain tomorrow.

Rob has the work order for the other fault that they are to check and he says that this aircraft is in a hanger getting some servicing work done on an engine. They walk over to an adjoining hanger and find their quarry. The plane is all hooked up to power, so they climb up inside. This time it's the MAD unit that's not working. After trying to turn on power and checking cables, they still get no response from it.

Sam: "Let's try changing the power supply."

Dan: "Yep, I think that would be the next logical step. I'll go sign a replacement unit out."

Rob: "Right, and check out a multi-meter while you're at it. We may be able to do something with this power supply first. Worth checking, anyway."

Dan returns with the power supply and multi-meter and they have the top off the unit in the plane. Rob takes the meter, checks some test points and shakes his head. He starts disconnecting the cables and a flicker of light flashes behind the instruments in the front of the MAD unit.

Dan: "Hold it. I think it's in that cable connection." They wiggle the half uncoupled cable and again a spark of life lights the controls and instruments. Rob pulls the cable off and measure voltage readings on the pins in the connector. All is normal. He screws down the ring to reconnect the cable. Nothing!

Sam: "Seems like the problem is in the plug end on the power supply. Guess we should try changing power supplies and see what we get." They do that and the MAD unit comes on with a hum and appears to be working just fine. Rob checks a few calibrations, and then shuts the unit down.

Rob: "Well Sam, looks like you have a report to write up this time." and they haul the unserviceable power supply back to servicing. Rob shows them how to make out a 'SHOP REPORT' form that will accompany the damaged power supply up to the shops for repair. Sam completes the work order and Rob checks it off as 'good enough' and initials it.

Rob: "It looks to me like you guys know what you're doing. They must be teaching a lot differently at good old 1R&CS these days than when I attended there. That was back when they were just starting the school. It was pretty hectic. They gave us Basic Electronics and a short communications course and sent us on our way. It was about four months in duration, then. What is it now, almost a year, I hear? Well, times change, I guess."

Dan goes to the washroom and when he comes back, Sam is watching a game of cards in progress at one of the tables. Rob is bent over some paperwork at another table so he joins Sam. "What's up?" He inquires of Sam.

"Guess we are done for the shift. Rob says that's it, but we can't leave the area until shift's over. Its only 2150 so we have two hours to kill. One guy is reading a book over there in the corner and these guys are playing cards. Apparently no officers ever come down around the flight line at night after supper and everyone just goofs off when they get their work done. Rob says we have to watch out for the Staff Sergeant and any Flight Crew that might come onto the line. If they come, we get busy doing something, quickly. He says that's how it is." Sam seems to be rambling

Dan: "That can't be. I saw two more sets of work orders on the counter."

He checks with Rob, who says that those jobs were being left for the midnight shift. Otherwise, he explains, they will be bored to tears. So after a while Sam and Dan sit in on a card game of 'BULLSHIT POKER' and while away the shift.

For those who have never played this game, it goes like this: A set amount is put up as the ante and a poker hand is dealt to one player. He calls for a few cards to make a good hand, then has to sell it to his neighbor. If he buys it, he has to improve upon it and attempt to sell it to his neighbor. If he calls and the hand is good, he forfeits his ante to the seller. If he calls and the hand is no good he wins the ante from the seller. This game is also called "SCREW YOUR NEIGHBOR POKER" and other various names of a more vulgar nature. Of course a lot of good natured encouragements and disparaging accompany the playing of this game as the rest of the players do nothing but watch the action develop between two players and there may be as many as six or seven playing at any one time. Also side bets can make the action livelier. In servicing it is usually played for pennies.

FRIDAY, JULY 22, 1000 HOURS

Today it's one week since their arrival at CFB Summerside and permanent quarters have been found for Sam and Clay. After breakfast this morning Sam is moving to C Block, Clayton Manor, the same barracks that Clay has moved into last night. Clay's in 14E and now Sam is moving to 22E.

Dan: "Are you sure you have everything? You only have just that one bag and these few odds and ends? You sure travel light."

Sam: "Don't need an awful lot. What I have are the bare essentials, and half of them are luxuries."

Dan: "Tell that to someone who didn't help you pack up at St. Jean or Clinton. Took a lot of the stuff home, didn't you?"

Sam grins and says; "Wait till you see what I bring back off leave in St John." They laugh together and head across the base to "C" Block.

Sam: "Clayton Manor! Sounds like I'll be living in Clay's House, doesn't it?"

Dan: "Yeah, I guess Clay must like the name. He was chuckling about it last night."

They enter the block and go down to 22E. Opening the door, Dan sees a rectangular room with two single beds to the right and left. Beside each bed is a wooden locker and past the lockers are the windows. Large and heavily draped, these windows have large panes that open to allow ample ventilation on hot summer days. As Sam steps to the left to the empty locker and unmade bed, Dan notes the construction of the locker. It's divided in two parts down the center and one side is open full length with a shelf for hats, etc. at the top and a rod under the shelf to hang clothes on. The other half has four drawers for folded clothes and a dresser top. Under the dresser top is a pull out desk to write on. Above the desk are adjustable shelves for books, pictures, etc.

On the open locker door is a large three quarters mirror, and between the locker and the windows is a comfortable cushioned and covered straight chair for use at the desk. At the side of the locker is a swing away lamp for the desk and as a bed lamp, depending on which way it is swung. Centered in front of the windows are a low table and two easy chairs. There is a lamp attached to the table at a good reading height. Sam has already been to the room with bedding from supply and on his bed is stacked neatly folded linens, red blankets, a pillowcase, towels, face clothes and hankies.

Dan: "What? No French safes? Sam, what is the world coming to? Here, I'll help you make your bed." and the two of them do up the bed with hospital tuck corners and single 90 degree fold at the top. When they finish Dan tosses a coin and it bounces off the bed. "Perfect, says Dan." and "Bullshit." says Sam as he plunks his ass down in the middle of it. They laugh together as Sam gets up and finishes his unpacking, putting things onto hangers and into drawers."

Sam: "Well, have you decided what you're going to do? Stay here in the barracks for another two weeks or move into town?"

Dan: " Oh, didn't I tell you. I've already told them in the office that I'd be moving out to town tomorrow. Want to stay and give me a hand?"

Sam: "Not on your life. I'm out of here tonight at 0300 on a nighttime training flight to Fredericton and then I'll hitchhike from there to St. John tomorrow. By tomorrow night I'll be enjoying home cooking and calling the girl friends. I'll not give a thought to you poor slobs either."

They joke around for a while and go for lunch. They join Clay and Abe for dinner and Clay offers to help Dan move the next day. Dan says something about volunteers, they all laugh and continue with chatting and banter.

SATURDAY, JULY 23: O200 HOURS

Sam and Dan are in front of Servicing, watching a Neptune warming up out on the apron. They have only just finished work in Servicing two hours before.

Dan: "Well, are you sure you've got everything? That's your flip warming up out there, is it?" He hollers over the noise of the engines.

Sam: "Yeah. Don't let Clay go and propose to that gal before I come back. I thought he was coming down to see me off?"

Dan: "He is. You got an hour yet. You going to catch some shuteye on the flight over?" Just then Clay arrives with a sports bag in hand.

Clay calls out, "You forgot this." He hands the bag to Sam. Sam looks in the bag and sees three quart size beers. "Sneaked them out of the wets. Some of their private stuff from Quebec. Enjoy!"

Sam throws a bear hug around Clay and says; "Sometimes I think there's hope for you British Columbians. Thanks, buddy." They horse around a bit more in the lights from servicing and the tower. There is only a skeleton crew on Servicing this time of night and it's windy, but warm.

All too soon a flight member waves at them and Sam heads out to the aircraft. He clambers up the ladder and soon the plane is rolling towards the runway. They watch its landing lights moving along the apron, then they are extinguished and she turns for the end of the runway. She sits, a far-off shadow with winking lights of red and green, then she turns and they are red and white. There is a growing rumble as the mighty engines throb and the jets wine. The shadow moves towards them and lifts its nose wheel opposite them. It is airborne with still half a runway to go and climbs at a steep angle for such a large craft. The noise dies down as it levels out a bit and swings to the west. Soon it's but a flashing speck and then it's gone.

Clay: "Come on up to my place, I only gave him three of them. I've got two more."

Dan: "I thought your tunic was fitting funny. Thought you were putting on some weight." They laugh and head up to "C" Block.

Clay's room is the same as Sam's. His roommate is on the midnight shift so they settle down in the two easy chairs by the windows. Clay gets up and pulls out his desk, and then reaching into the locker he brings out a portable TV. He switches it on and they watch an early news program. He just has rabbit ears but the set brings in three channels across the water from the mainland and Charlottesville on the island.

Clay: "It picks those three up good at night. Not so hot in the daytime. Depends on the weather." He brings a large bag of chips over to the table and the two quarts of beer. They sit and enjoy their beer and chips with the weatherman.

They are both up and meet at the mess hall at noon. It's a heavy overcast day with gusty warm winds kicking up. Clay says he'll check with the AFPs at the guardhouse and see if they will let him bring his car on base to pick up Dan's things. It will save them a lot of carrying. Dan agrees as they part, Clay for the gate and Dan to finish packing.

Dan stops by Cpl. McNiven's room. "If my wife should call, will you tell her I have moved into the apartment down town and will call her as soon as I have the phone in."

Cpl.: "Ai, I'll do that. Twill be a lonely house ya live in till she comes down ta join ye, laddie."

Dan: "Ai, and it twill! Now Duncan, you see what living around you in this barracks has done to my language. Now I'm talking with a Scottish burr. Saints preserve me, and me father's born Irish. He'd hide me for sure."

Cpl.: "Well en, the barracks are gettin emptied ouut. No new people scheduled for another week. Twill be quiet, I'm thinkin. Best o' luck ta ya, laddie."

Dan goes on down to his bunk and counts five bunks including his own that are still occupied. Dunc's right. It will be quiet around these barracks tonight. He feels almost nostalgic about a place where he has only stayed a week. Maybe its because Sam has gone home and he's going to a bare apartment all alone. He packs up some dirty clothes and hauls his bags and cases to the door of the barracks.

Clay's there, backing up beside the door. He pops the hood and they load the suitcases under the hood and the duffel bag in the back seat with some odds and ends in paper bags. One more quick look around the barracks and Dan's all ready to go.

Dan: "I called Mrs. Henshaw. I told her we would be down and that I'd be sleeping there tonight. She was quite pleased, I think."

They pull away from the base and head into town. As they swing right at the crossroads, Dan glances left and wonders where that road goes. He sees a tall farmhouse up the road on the left. He puzzles over why a farmhouse would back onto the base. Must belong to the farmer who owned the property where the base is located now, he reasons to himself. Looking back, he notes that the road seems to peter out past the farmhouse. Must be down near the ocean, he figures, maybe another way into Brown's Beach or the look out. He muses; maybe that's the Brown's house.

Swinging around in the seat he can see that they are almost into town and before long they drive by Jack and Lorena's place. Down a slight grade for half a mile and they swing left slightly and they are on the main street of Summerside. They proceed past a used car dealership and for about three blocks before Clay makes a signal to turn left.

Clay: "This is the street, isn't it?"

Dan: "Yep, turn left here and its up about half a block on the left."

Clay: "Yeah, I remember. There it is. No driveway, we park on the grass along side the fence." He makes a U-turn just past the house and parks by the fence. "I guess Irma doesn't have a car."

Dan: "I don't know. There's an old tumbled down garage at the back of the property, but if there's a car in there, I haven't seen it."

Irma's on the front porch waiting for them and waves.

Clay "Hmmm, just like your mother, eh?"

Dan: "Shush! She'll hear you."

The wind is not so strong here in town but the sky has darkened down and the air feels like rain.

Dan: "Let's get this stuff in before it starts to rain." and they start to unload the car. Dan grabs what he can from the back seat and Clay pops the hood. As Dan goes up the walk Irma calls out, "Go right around the sidewalk, I have the door open for you." and Dan responds with, "Thank you, Mrs. Henshaw ...I'm sorry, Irma."

Irma: "Mrs. Henshaw is my mother-in-law. I'm Irma now, and don't you be calling me anything else." She goes into the house.

Dan is slightly spooked when he gets to the back door and finds that she is there before him. "I left it open. You just go right on in." Dan does so, closely followed by Clay loaded down with a two suitcases.

Clay: (quietly): "Said the spider to the fly!" Then more loudly, "Where do you want me to put this?"

Dan: "Anywhere there in the living room. I'll have to sort it all out. Is that everything?"

Clay: "There's one more suitcase in the boot and I think some bags in the back seat."

Dan: "No, I got the bags. Those others must be yours. I'll come out with you and get the last suitcase." They step to the living room door and find Irma in the kitchen.

Irma: "I'll just show you how this gas range works and I have your keys here for the apartment. There are three keys here the same and they are all for this door. You just light these top burners with a match like this and for the oven, I roll a piece of news paper about five inches long and light the end of it to reach the burner," she has the oven door open, "Like this."

1...45678...17